• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch eShops from other regions can easily be accessed

Theswweet

So, reading the latest updates in the thread, I'm getting the impression that I should just be adding funds to my JP account using my 3DS? Looks like foreign cards just don't work anymore, that or the servers are fucked at the moment.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
This is how I think of it:

Each region needs its own account where you've set region accordingly.

Each account has its own wallet with appropriate currency.

Games bought from any account are shared across all accounts on that Switch.

The only better solution would be to have one account that can change regions on the fly and have 3 wallets under the one log in - has anyone tested this?

Storm360

This is how I think of it:

Each region needs its own account where you've set region accordingly.

Each account has its own wallet with appropriate currency.

Games bought from any account are shared across all accounts on that Switch.

The only better solution would be to have one account that can change regions on the fly and have 3 wallets under the one log in - has anyone tested this?

Changing country empties the wallet

Waji

That's a big relief.
If the Switch brand is supposed to stay for a while it means we're good for some time with Nintendo.
Hopefuly it never gets back to any kind of region lock.

Mael

I can confirm that it works flawlessly,
my switch has 3 accounts :
my eu account linked with my wiiu/3ds account
an account for my so
my us account because NoE is shite and doesn't want to let me pay with my US debit card.

Snipperclips demo is the EU version
Snipperclips the full game is the US version.
Both are accessible on all accounts.

the whole setup couldn't be easier.

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
Who's going to be the charitable soul that checks if the Brazilian eShop for Switch is a thing this time around?

(3DS' eShop is and Wii U's never was around these parts)

mebizzle

So i saw it asked earlier in the thread but cant find an answer, is there anyway to turn off the japanese news on the lock screen?

Theswweet

Could the reason why foreign cards are spotty right now just be server issues? Earlier in the thread someone mentioned their card not working for their region.

CDX

Sad news.

I tried all my US credit cards, and none of my US credit cards work outside the US eshop.
Looks like I'll have to buy region specific giftcards. But I expected that so it's no big deal.

But the good news. After you get multiple accounts setup on your Switch, changing eshop regions is like the easiest thing. IT'S SO EASY. And it appears all accounts on the same Switch can play every other accounts games no matter the region.

so what is the best place to purchase jp e cards or any US cards working?

Amazon.co.jp will email the code to you. And they don't mark up the price the cards like other places do.

You can even buy codes for some games directly that you can redeem on the Japanese eshop.

Netto-kun linked to the Amazon.co.jp Nintendo cards earlier in the thread.
You can't use non-Japanese eShop cards for the Japanese eShop. (US eShop gift cards for US, Europe eShop gift cards for Europe and so on).

If you want to buy eShop cards from Amazon Japan you simply need to make an Amazon Japan account (seperate from US/UK/etc), use credit/debit cards as payment method and make sure to have a Japanese billing address during check-out (can be whichever).

Cards can be bought here and will be sent as code to your e-mail, or you'll get it upon completed purchase or check within your Amazon Japan account.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Sad news.

I tried all my US credit cards, and none of my US credit cards work outside the US eshop.
Looks like I'll have to buy region specific giftcards. But I expected that so it's no big deal.

But the good news. After you get multiple accounts setup on your Switch, changing eshop regions is like the easiest thing. IT'S SO EASY. And it appears all accounts on the same Switch can play every other accounts games no matter the region.

Amazon.co.jp will email the code to you. And they don't mark up the price the cards like other places do.

You can even buy codes for some games directly that you can redeem on the Japanese eshop.

Netto-kun linked to the Amazon.co.jp Nintendo cards earlier in the thread.

Sounds great
Jp account already created
Tomorrow I will link it to my Switch and tRyan downloading DQ demo

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The weird thing is the whole 'who wants to use the store' prompt (I think giant bomb had the same thing when launching bomberman?)

If you're signed in with profile A, just launch games/eshop with that user rather than checking each time. if someone else wanted to use the eshop let them switch to their account at the system level

Tangeroo

This is all pretty confusing.

What part?

All you have to do is go to https://accounts.nintendo.com/, setup a profile and under "Country", choose which country whose eShop you want access to (ie - Japan, United Kingdom, United States, etc).

Once your account setup is complete, turn on your Switch, go to System -> Users -> Add Users. Create a user linked to the account you just made.

When you're done, open the eShop. When you access the eShop, it asks you which profile you want to use. Just use the one you just created and voila, you're in!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
In case anyone needed further confirmation, balances are definitely shared across the Nintendo platforms.

I couldn't use my American credit card on the Switch Japanese eShop, so I booted up my 3DS and was able to use the same card to charge 10,000 Yen to my account. Even without exiting the eShop on the Switch store, the balance updated automatically and I was able to buy Puyo Puyo Tetris with no problem.

The interface on this thing is really snappy and slick. I love it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Well damn, that was easy, even more so than PS3/4 which is similar but don't have to deal with filling in extra info.

Is there anyway to default it to my main account, or will it have to ask me which user I want to select when I sign in & go to the eShop?

In case anyone needed further confirmation, balances are definitely shared across the Nintendo platforms.

I couldn't use my American credit card on the Switch Japanese eShop, so I booted up my 3DS and was able to use the same card to charge 10,000 Yen to my account. Even without exiting the eShop on the Switch store, the balance updated automatically and I was able to buy Puyo Puyo Tetris with no problem.

The interface on this thing is really snappy and slick. I love it.

Oh wow, I didn't even think of that. Good to know that's an option

I just ended up buying cards from Play-Asia

Bog

Junior Ace
Not eshop related, but is the JP retail release of I Am Setsuna in English on a US console?

Okay so just to confirm, if I want to buy tetris, go to amazon.jp, buy eshop credit, add to wallet?

What am I reading about funds in wallets disappearing?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I am confused. How do I change regions? You can't do this on the console?

Okay so just to confirm, if I want to buy tetris, go to amazon.jp, buy eshop credit, add to wallet?

What am I reading about funds in wallets disappearing?

I don't think eShops from different regions share wallets. So if you have money in the US eShop, it won't be there in the JP shop.

I think.

essenn

What part?

All you have to do is go to https://accounts.nintendo.com/, setup a profile and under "Country", choose which country whose eShop you want access to (ie - Japan, United Kingdom, United States, etc).

Once your account setup is complete, turn on your Switch, go to System -> Users -> Add Users. Create a user linked to the account you just made.

When you're done, open the eShop. When you access the eShop, it asks you which profile you want to use. Just use the one you just created and voila, you're in!

Ok, thanks. About to do this,. But if I buy something on a Japanese account, I won't get mynintendo points on my main account, right?

Sealtest

I do apologize if this was answered when I asked earlier in the thread but has anyone confirmed if US eshop downloads purchased from Amazon US are redeemable on Canadian eshop?

I know American eshop cards don't work in Canada but people said WII U digital games worked.

Looking to buy the Zelda expansion pass using some of my Amazon credit so I can save some money.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
None of my credit cards worked, but I'm still in love with the new flexibility here. And the automatic language switching in games makes this even better.

Lyte Edge

Man, all the eshop digital codes on amazon.jp are sold out

https://accounts.nintendo.com/

Create a New Account

Enter new info. Make sure Region is Japan

Go on console: start a new profile, link it to new japanese account you just created by using email you assigned to japanese nintendo account

Thanks. Can you not change the language though? I thought someone said you can get options and prices in dollars/english...

iphys

They intended the system to be region-free, and I'm sure they're happy to take our money. If anything they'll get the eShops working better to accept credit cards from all regions.

Lyte Edge

I won't be getting Switch anytime soon, but I'm glad to hear that the region situation is similar to what Sony has been doing since PS3.

It's even better than how it works on PSN. Easier to make another region account and no logging onto another user profile needed. Once you set it up, just go to the eShop and pick the user name that corresponds to the shop you want to go to!

Am downloading several NeoGeo games, Puyo Puyo Tetris, and DQHeroes I&II now. Will probably take a bit since DQH is so big...

Theswweet

Bought and downloaded Blaster Master Zero + Snipperclips from the JP eShop. Interestingly enough, checking out the NA page for Snipperclips on my NA account shows that I own it... I guess they're the exact same download, just the JP version is cheaper.

iBlue

amazon jp has Zelda digitally cheaper than i thought, Can i buy it and redeem it on the nintendo account website? i dont have a swith yet

so if I buy a $10 eshop card on amazon.co.jap, they'll send the code via email? And I will just have to redeem this code to the japanese eshop? Am I wright?

Top Bottom