• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch eShops from other regions can easily be accessed

Might be able to get some games cheaper on the American store than the UK one. For instance FAST RMX is $19.99 and £16.99 but $19.99 converts to £16.27. Saving some pennies!

eh not really. visa/masterbank exchange rate is a bit different. don't forget there'll be bank charge for non-sterling transaction as well. so might not save some pennies at all :p

While I doubt it's an intended benefit, that a company actually is willing to do this should hopefully be a boon for games not big enough to warrant an overseas release. On the other hand, if Nintendo were savvy about this, they could use it as a means of measuring interest in niche titles; if word of mouth on a game causes decent cross-regional purchases, then there's clearly some appeal to potentially capitalise on.

Griss

You can even use your local country's credit card and purchase games with it in other country's eShops (According to LauraK, Dystify and VOOKS, all on Twitter).

This is amazing and a true game changer.
It's even easier than on PS4.

This is absolutely huge for me. I'm an Irish guy with a US Nintendo account living in the Caribbean.

It was such a hassle getting games and systems before. All my 3DS stuff ended up being on a different, EU account.

This is the kind of thing that may push me to buy a Switch next week despite already having played Zelda on Wii U.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Okay this is kinda big for me... Finally being able to play all these Japanese Demos.

Where is Monster Hunter Capcom? lol

Will try the DQ Heroes demo tomorrow when I get my Switch... Awesome.

You can even use your local country's credit card and purchase games with it in other country's eShops (According to LauraK, Dystify and VOOKS, all on Twitter).

This is amazing and a true game changer.
It's even easier than on PS4.

WHAT

Alright, I'm in for having a JP & EU account for all my buying needs.

dallow_bg

nods at old men

tolkir

Is it region-free yet?

Based cheese.

bfdab550-3010-0133-475d-0a2ca390b447.gif

Good thing Nintendo are actually taking region free seriously. Shame I can't buy DLC for one region and not use for another. This is going to make getting a switch and UK games hard when I have a US account

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Honestly I expected some Vita type fuckery... But seems like a really smooth process.

Based Iwata... They really were taking region free considerations serious.

By the way Laura also says the Joy-Con sync issue seems to have fixed itself after the system update, no guarantee but its promising:
"Can't replicate the Left Joycon Dissconnect issue post update. That's not a promise it's fixed. Will update."
https://twitter.com/LaurakBuzz/status/837286938793111552

Yep I heard the same too. Joy con issue is gone with the update.

This is fantastic news for Virtual Console fans. I'm so happy.
Yep!

CDX

We're going to need tutorials on how to sign up for other regions accounts.

In addition to my US one. I already want a JPN one, and an EU one.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Sweet, so buying 50hz Virtual console games will never again be a problem.

So the onus is on Nintendo of Europe to offer both version as an option if they want my money.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
This thing is so good that I'm afraid Nintendo will realize how popular it'll be and patch it out.

It was a key point of the console reveal, why would they change it? They have finally realised that they were throwing money away by locking their hardware.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
really great news, weird how the thread is so much shorter than the 'friends code' one though

ekim

Wait... how does this work?

I would need a account per country, right? (each with an unique email)
Will I lose access to games from account A when I login to account B or is a downloaded game yours to play no matter what account is logged in?

This was my biggest concern. I'm living in China and can only get a Japanese switch. Wanted to be sure I could DL from other regions and change the system language. Seems I may actually get one of these sooner rather than later.

Top Bottom