• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch eShops from other regions can easily be accessed

Shiggy

Do we know if we can download the games on two separate systems if logged in with the same account (as on any Google or iOS account)?

deadfolk

Any word on using existing 3DS/WiiU eShop vouchers directly on Switch? I know you can transfer the balance, but I need to buy some credit along with the Switch tomorrow, and the wording on this has been very odd and vague.

Kysen

You can even use your local country's credit card and purchase games with it in other country's eShops (According to LauraK, Dystify and VOOKS, all on Twitter).

This is amazing and a true game changer.
It's even easier than on PS4.
Works like this on 3ds as well. I've used my UK debit card(visa) on my JP 3ds since day one. No idea why Sony cant sort their shit out.

I guess there might be some problem with vook's card? since someone else can use theirs for jp eshop
https://twitter.com/AlexDia25/status/837304242729693185
Yeah.

In case people don't know sometimes when you use certain credit cards overseas your bank needs an authorization for it. Bank of America works like this at times

Trust me I buy food from overseas and Bank of America will want me to authorize overseas use. Another one my cards won't work at all.

HeySeuss

Can someone dumb this down for me?

1. Create a separate profile with the desired region.

2. Do you have to switch (no pun intended) back and forth between profiles?

3. Or is every available region now on one unified eShop?

4. Can my US credit card work on all of them?

All I need to know is if you play a Japanese Setsuna on an English account if it changes the language to English so I can import the cart.

I think I've read that you do not and that games with DLC open the Eshop directly within the game. You only need to close the game to patch/apply DLC.

Good to know :)

I just don't want to have to close Zelda when I go to download Snipperclips, Fast RMX and Shovel Knight ;P

Chorazin

It's a Switchmas miracle!

PLZ TO ANNOUNCE TAIKO DRUM MASTER FOR SWITCH NOW

All my US credit cards have worked fine on my Japanese 3DS. :-D

whiteape

Any word on using existing 3DS/WiiU eShop vouchers directly on Switch? I know you can transfer the balance, but I need to buy some credit along with the Switch tomorrow, and the wording on this has been very odd and vague.
Did it twice today, works flawless. I couldn't add more than 100€ though and i can't buy games in the german store yet.

Zenaku

All I need to know is if you play a Japanese Setsuna on an English account if it changes the language to English so I can import the cart.

No idea if it switches automatically, or if it's in-game, but the games page lists Japanese, English and French as supported languages, so you should be good to go.

No idea if it switches automatically, or if it's in-game, but the games page lists Japanese, English and French as supported languages, so you should be good to go.

Yooooo, that's rad. Thank god because Play-Asia had it for less than the eShop for a little while

wyk126

Neo Member
Can you just change the region in your current Nintendo Account, e.g. I have a UK account, I go to Nintendo Account settings and change region to Japan, then I got to eShop, will it show Japanese games?

DavidDesu

So can I get Zelda cheaper than £60 buying US credit online or something? Sounds like how it works exactly on PS4. Use another account but all accounts on the system share games effortlessly. Do you need a constant connection though or anything like that?

Zenaku

Oh man someone confirm this! That's a launch game there, right?

Yeah, English available for that too, and yeah launch game.

For account switching, the solution is to only add funds when buying a game and only add the required amount. Can't lose money if there's none left on there. But still. wait for someone to try it and see what happens.

Who knows how it'll affect a connected NNID.

This is ironic in that the hardest titles to find supported language info for are the first party titles as in you can't just do it on the NCL website (because first party titles have minisites rather than summary pages). The eShop listing should furnish info but that requires being able to read the page rather than have google translate do it for you.

Really? That is not what NCL says:
https://ec.nintendo.com/JP/ja/titles/70010000000035
I guess that could be another thing to considering is the listing info being wrong :( Hopefully it isn't wrong in saying it supports languages it does not.

Does your eShop credit work across regions? Or is there a separate wallet for each region?
The tweets in the OP use separate users/accounts. Also it deletes funds if you change an accounts country setting anyway. I don't get what was wrong with how the 3DS (pre-NNID) handled it of a separate wallet for each country.

Might be able to get some games cheaper on the American store than the UK one. For instance FAST RMX is $19.99 and £16.99 but $19.99 converts directly to £16.27. Saving some pennies!
In the case of my including the exchange rate and what my bank takes it's about a 2% saving if I choose a US state with no sales tax (and these continue to exist...on the contrary the fact the UK price has 20% on it makes it a bargain). In the past with other currencies on the eShop I've saved in the range of something like 15%-60% but that was before Brexit made £s worthless (thank god the booming jam exports are saving us
probably going to get worse when we actually leave...sorry to grad politics in
).

Another way a UK person can kind of save 2% is to buy the eShop credit from GAME because that should give reward points. Some places might also have eShop download codes for a bit cheaper as well.

On the other hand mainland Europe can save a smaller amount by purchasing from the UK (well...not yet as €20 buys you around £17 anyway) and there are other currencies users have access to (including Poland, Czech Republic, South Africa, Australia, Canada and Russia) but I don't recall the rates for those (as in NOE prices based on €1=$X,) and a 3DS with no NNID linked is a much easier tool to check them (well within what "PAL" regions cover of course).

Remember you can only have 8 uses on a Switch system so it probably isn't worth spreading your library over that many accounts for whatever the FX market and Nintendo is doing at a given time (Nintendo do tweak the rates from time to time...for example there was a time when €1=$AUD1.50 but I think Nintendo use €1=$AUD1.30 these days...hope I didn't get that wrong).

But it might all be moot if your card can't buy the currencies (as you're unlikely to find credit that is not $, €, £ or ¥).

Easily solved by ordering Japanese eShop cards from Play-Asia or another retailer.
5000 yen (worth about £36) yours for just £40.50 (and play-asia have the cheek to say they're worth £52.90). I get play-asia is a retailer with its own costs but that would be a huge step back from simply using your card on the eShop.

I think amazon Japan might be a better option (plus you can get download codes themselves) because you pay 500 yen for 500 yen etc but it does say only available in Japan on the page but I don't know that is an IP check or an address check.

EDarkness

Gonna make a Japanese account so that I can download the Dragon Quest Heroes demo. Good to know it's pretty easy to do.

CDX

Can you just change the region in your current Nintendo Account, e.g. I have a UK account, I go to Nintendo Account settings and change region to Japan, then I got to eShop, will it show Japanese games?

If you do it that way you have to give up all money in your eshop wallet everytime you change regions.

So it seems best to have separate accounts for each region like on the PS4/Vita

Make separate accounts for different regions. Because it seems like if you have a US Account and try to change it to U.K. it's like 'you can do this but you either need to spend or forfeit all your eShop money first. Is that ok?'
Gotcha. You can change your American account to U.K., but you'll lose your eshop money.

Then I'll make a Japanese Nintendo Account and a European Nintendo Account.

Top Bottom