• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch eShops from other regions can easily be accessed

sugarless

Very nice. My missus is Japanese so this is perfect.
Anyone know if the Euro download of Zelda has Japanese option so can just switch accounts for her, or we better just getting it from the Japanese store?

I believe it's got all the languages included in the Euro version, you just need her user account on the console to be set to Japanese language as the game has no language-switching menu.

Theswweet

Alright, cool, my card still works on the 3DS JP eShop. If all else fails, I really should be able to just add credit that way for my Switch needs!

Questions about regions. I don't know which EU country I should pick when I create an EU account.

For an EU account. Does any European country have any advantage over any other European country? I guess UK would be £ (pounds) and everywhere else in europe would be € (euro)?

But other than currencies, would there be any differences in access to EU games and demos between different EU countries? How was it on the 3DS and Wii U?

Does Brexit change anything with UK accounts VS other EU accounts?

...maybe I should just wait until some EU country has something exclusive I want, before I make an EU account.
The bit I have bolded is best advice and I'd probably stick with €s because that is the standard that all others are ultimately based upon (Ireland speak English so this is best for eShop interface and VC games tend if they upload one language ROMs for things like Link's Awakening). You have to look at what your currency can buy and look a bit long term at it as well (as you don't want to make accounts all the time to chase the latest deal or run from a now bad deal). Also if the exchange rate goes too far off course (see Russia) NOE will intervene and adjust accordingly. Of course they never did anything with €10=£9 in the years that it was not and now that it virtually does I just shut up :p Of course in the short term I'd expect more woe for the £ because of our brilliant strategy for securing a good deal with our biggest trading partner.

You can see some of the non-Oceania countries yourself on the NOE website like so:
https://www.nintendo.de/Spiele/Nintendo-3DS/Hatsune-Miku-Project-Mirai-DX-1044120.html
Scroll down to the bottom and click where it says Land then select the country.

Unique currencies visible this way* can be accessed by selecting: Svizzera, UK (I hate how it says & Ireland because they use €...the official UK store also doesn't deliver to Ireland which is another kick in the teeth), Россия, South Africa, any € country.

Btw, Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai DX being a retail game follows different "rules" to download only games as far as pricing tiers are concerned. For download games Ogre Battle 64 being €10 makes it easier to see things:
https://www.nintendo.ru/-/Nintendo-64/Ogre-Battle-64-Person-of-Lordly-Caliber-278414.html

In hindsight using some Switch games as examples would have made more sense but same thing applies: All digital only games follow same rate, retail games are based on tier and price differences between tiers can greatly vary (especially wrt UK as it seems like £=€-10 is used for >=€50 with £=€-5 for <€50 is used in most cases)

For first party retail games an additional step to see the game page with the price info (rather than the flashy microsite) hit the see pricing options button at the top.

*-The currencies not covered on the NOE official site are Czech Republic, Poland, Norway, Sweden (I don't think any of these are noticeable or are actually more expensive than €), Australia (eShop only games are €=$1.30) and New Zealand.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Chris Kohler was reporting earlier that he couldn't use his American card.

Does anyone know if the Switch shares balances with 3DS/Wii U? I imagine it does, but that might be one easy way to add to your balance on a platform that accepts any credit card.

Chris Kohler was reporting earlier that he couldn't use his American card.

Does anyone know if the Switch shares balances with 3DS/Wii U? I imagine it does, but that might be one easy way to add to your balance on a platform that accepts any credit card.

You can transfer your 3DS/Wii U wallet to the Switch balance.

pitt_norton

Just wait for another 2.5 hours, try again.

It's only 7.30am here in Japan, perhaps Nintendo Japan want to open business at 10am like most Japanese shopfronts in the real world.

If not, then this must be the meaning of "generally region free" haha

eyesradar

I guess I can still buy eshop yen cards then use it for JPStore games.
But my Visa always worked for JPeshop games like MHX or whatever before...

oh why nintendo

Theswweet

I see people saying that visa isn't working, but I wonder about mastercard.

Even if it looks like I'll still be able to add money to my wallet through my 3DS, I'm curious what's up with Visa and the Switch eShop. Is it really a Visa problem, or a specific bank's problem? I'm finding it really hard to believe that the Visa that has been working on my JP 3DS won't work on the Switch's JP eShop.

Theswweet

I guess I can still buy eshop yen cards then use it for JPStore games.
But my Visa always worked for JPeshop games like MHX or whatever before...

oh why nintendo

If you already have a JP 3DS, don't pay mark-up on eShop cards - just add the money to your 3DS, and use it on the Switch.The wallets are shared.

Dragon Quest Heroes 1+2 trial version on HK store.

No English version of that on the HK store.

I set up:

Canada (Primary)
United States
Japan
United Kingdom
Hong Kong

Okay help me understand this:

To access the Japanese eShop, I have to create a MyNintendo account, set the region to Japan, and link that Japanese account to a Switch user account? I don't need to have a NNID linked? If I'm accessing the Japanese eShop through a Japanese MyNintendo/Switch user account, then I'll only be able to access those games when logged in as that user, right?

I can't just change my existing MyNintendo region to Japan temporarily, then access different regions' shops that way? I'm not looking forward to having separate reward coin balances and game libraries, but if that's the only way to do it then it's okay.

mark-san

Banned
Might be able to get some games cheaper on the American store than the UK one. For instance FAST RMX is $19.99 and £16.99 but $19.99 converts directly to £16.27. Saving some pennies!

As long as you use a card that doesn't charge a fee for overseas purchases, you can indeed save money. My Brazilian cards suck for that, but my UK one doesn't charge anything <3

Has there been confirmation as to whether or not eShop purchases can be downloaded and played on multiple Switch systems? My partner and I want to be able to share games we purchase on each other's accounts.

CDX

OK, I just created

US (my main account)
Ireland (an english language based euro account)
Australia
Hong Kong
Japan

My Nintendo Accounts.

I think I pretty much covered all the major video game regions worldwide with those accounts. I'm not sure if Australia gets different content from Europe, but I made an Australian account anyways.

Now when I get my Switch tomorrow I'll just put those accounts on it, and it'll be so easy to instantly change eshop regions.

If in the future I need some other country, for some exclusive content, or demo or something I'll just make another My Nintendo account for that country when I need it. I'll have room on the Switch to add more accounts.

I just hope my US credit cards will work everywhere so I don't have to buy giftcards online. But if I have to buy giftcards to purchase overseas exclusive stuff I'll manage.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Even if it looks like I'll still be able to add money to my wallet through my 3DS, I'm curious what's up with Visa and the Switch eShop. Is it really a Visa problem, or a specific bank's problem? I'm finding it really hard to believe that the Visa that has been working on my JP 3DS won't work on the Switch's JP eShop.

Sony has never allowed for US cards to be used in their JP store since the PS3, so I'm assuming it's some kind of legal concern to restrict that on region-free systems.

iBlue

So from now on if my NNID us tied to my Nintendo account are my switch purchases( let say Zelda) gonna be tied to the Nintendo account and not the NNID?

Cross posting from the Launch thread as many people, including myself, were looking for an answer to this question. I obtained this information first hand on my own Switch console.

Under eShop Account Settings, you can choose to make a console you are signed into your primary console. If you are signed into a non-primary console, you cannot access your digital purchases.

Software and downloadable content you purchase from Nintendo eShop can only be used on the console registered for downloads for your Nintendo Account. You will not be able to purchase or download software on a Nintendo Switch console that is not registered as the active console for your account.

unrealist

Assuming I am only interested in one single game on the JP eShop, I change my region to JP, buy it and download it. Then I change my region back to NA. Would the JP game still be in my library for future download?

Assuming I am only interested in one single game on the JP eShop, I change my region to JP, buy it and download it. Then I change my region back to NA. Would the JP game still be in my library for future download?

Theoretically, but you have to forfeit your balance every time you change, so you're better off with multiple accounts.

Top Bottom