• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Super Bowl Commercial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Nook

vnqz9qa24r2y.png

Really dont understand why they went this route. You are showing this to a massive audience and you only show one game and barely any of the functionality of your brand new console. Whatever its their money.

...their research, it showed that a lot of gamers plan to play in handheld mode but not outside their homes, so Nintendo wanted to highlight this feature in their Super Bowl ad to hit that demo and still show off its portable and tv modes...

The focused on their largest game and single most defining aspect of the console. Not bad for 30 seconds.

Great but they should have showed the full version instead of just Zelda.

Not much to go on, but searches for ‘Nintendo’ and ‘Nintendo Switch’ seem to have gone up by a greater percentage than searches for ‘Zelda’:
https://www.google.com/trends/explore?date=now 1-d&q=nintendo,nintendo switch,zelda

Search Interest Over Time

9:24PM EST
Zelda - 3
Nintendo - 15
Nintendo Switch – 10

9:32PM EST
Zelda – 15 (400% increase)
Nintendo – 100 (567% increase)
Nintendo Switch – 83 (730% increase)
http://imgur.com/a/ViogL
Qf5dPhn.png

EDIT: Better Data
https://www.google.com/trends/explore?date=now 4-H&q=nintendo,nintendo switch,zelda
9:36PM EST
Zelda – 1
Nintendo – 4
Nintendo Switch – 3

9:37PM
Zelda - 13 (1200% increase)
Nintendo - 100 (2400% increase)
Nintendo Switch - 86 (2767% increase)
http://imgur.com/a/2Mi4P
5JRLqbj.png

No, because I'm living in it.

And San Junipero, the only one with a happy ending is the best one.

Playtest is my favorite, but yeah San Junipero is pretty good. You're right though, no one wants to live in a Black Mirror episode.

Damn you Nintendo and your suddenly brilliant subliminal advertising!

Before the Switch:
- Cavs end 50+ year cleveland drought, Lebron wins one for the land, after being down 3-1, 73-9 Warriors lose after being up 3-1 and making comments like "I hope they can still smell the champagne", J.R. motherfuckin' Smith wins a ring and goes shirtless for the rest of time.

- Cubs end a 100+ year drought, after being down 3-1

After the Switch:
- Trump wins
- Patriots win

God dammit I thought I loved you nintendo...

Sunday 2/5 just before 4th quarter started:
Original: 765k
Extended: 2,671,000

Sunday 2/5 8:49PM PT (right now):
Original: 783,390
Extended: 2,966,791

I checked because I was bored at the time lol

Hattori

Banned
Before the Switch:
- Cavs end 50+ year cleveland drought, Lebron wins one for the land, after being down 3-1, 73-9 Warriors lose after being up 3-1 and making comments like "I hope they can still smell the champagne", J.R. motherfuckin' Smith wins a ring and goes shirtless for the rest of time.

After the Switch:
- Trump wins
- Patriots win

Cubs won after that Switch reveal though...

Tom Nook

For those wondering why the switch hate after the game:

Falcons lost because of the poor play calling in the 4th qtr. They were in FG range so instead of running the ball, they decide to throw it. Matt Ryan got sacked and fumbled the ball. This change the momentum for the Pats to score two TDs and two 2pt converstions to put the game into overtime. Falcons secondary defense was just horrible in the last 7 mins or so, which they were all season. It's just so happen the Nintendo Commercial was played before all that. The worst timing for a commercial to be played, it could've been any commercial and outcome is the same.

Cubs won after that Switch reveal though...

Damn, makes it even worse. It nearly happened. Cleveland nearly had 2 championships to break its drought, and Ohio would've been so ecstatic that it would've listened to LeBron when he endorsed Clinton, and then that would've created a chain effect across the rest of the midwest.

Damn nintendo...

Nobody at the bar I was at gave a single fuck about this commercial :(
I was waiting for their reactions, and nothing...
Well I was at a bar too and people only reacted to that ad with lots of funny accidents. Other than that it was all about the game and nothing else. Lady Gaga was also paid dust.

Before the Switch:

After the Switch:
- Trump wins
- Patriots win

Much like Trump, Nintendo has a distorted world-view.

If it's not directly about Nintendo's Super Bowl commercial, leave it out of the thread. This is your warning. Thank you.

If it's not directly about Nintendo's Super Bowl commercial, leave it out of the thread. This is your warning. Thank you.
So off-topic jokes are now banned in threads about video game adverts?

I'm looking forward to this finally being enforced! It should really help us raise the level of discourse around here!

VariantX

For those wondering why the switch hate after the game:

Falcons lost because of the poor play calling in the 4th qtr. They were in FG range so instead of running the ball, they decide to throw it. Matt Ryan got sacked and fumbled the ball. This change the momentum for the Pats to score two TDs and two 2pt converstions to put the game into overtime. Falcons secondary defense was just horrible in the last 7 mins or so, which they were all season. It's just so happen the Nintendo Commercial was played before all that. The worst timing for a commercial to be played, it could've been any commercial and outcome is the same.

Game basically ended right there at the bolded imho. Knocked them out of FG range and the penalty on the next play only added to the damage. I'm 50/50 on whether or not they should have aired the extended commercial. Probably would have cost them a mint

udivision

Pretending that it actually exists, I wonder if a nostalgic NES Classic commercial would've gotten more interest. Not that I'm suggested they should've ran one, but I noticed there was a lack of nostalgia-pandering in the Super Bowl Ads this year and maybe it could've done better because of it.

Pretending that it actually exists, I wonder if a nostalgic NES Classic commercial would've gotten more interest. Not that I'm suggested they should've ran one, but I noticed there was a lack of nostalgia-pandering in the Super Bowl Ads this year and maybe it could've done better because of it.
Not saying you're wrong, but what do you think a commercial like that would have looked like? I'm not sure what you're envisioning.

watershed

Banned

Serious question, why do you make it your job to shit post about the Switch? I normally wouldn't even notice but I've seen your avatar enough to actually recognize it.

So off-topic jokes are now banned in threads about video game adverts?

I'm looking forward to this finally being enforced! It should really help us raise the level of discourse around here!

If you have a problem with the direction of a thread or specific post, PM a mod. We'll decide on a case-by-case basis.

Pretty much like anything else on the forum.

Sunday 2/5 just before 4th quarter started:
Original: 765k
Extended: 2,671,000

Sunday 2/5 8:49PM PT (right now):
Original: 783,390
Extended: 2,966,791

I checked because I was bored at the time lol

How were you bored watching one of the most exciting football games in recent history? I'm no Patriots fan, but god damn did they deserve that win after all that! :p

On topic: the people I was watching the game with skipped right over the commercial. They didn't even care.

I had my girlfriend watch the extended commercial after watching the 30 second spot to get her opinion as a (relative) outsider. She thought the full-length ad was pretty solid and really sold the overall platform, whereas the TV spot made it too easy to ignore the console and just focus on Zelda, and thus generally wasn't very strong. Which is pretty much exactly as I felt. And considering that most of the casual viewers will only ever see that 30 second spot on TV, and the bulk of the 3 million extended version views were likely from the 2 million people who already pre-ordered the Switch (as well as those who were already aware of the console but haven't yet/won't secure one) I'm not sure how successful these spots will be in the end. But I'm interested to see more definitive numbers tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom