• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Super Bowl Commercial

Status
Not open for further replies.

random25

The question, though, is: Did it?

I know a lot of people who had tuned out of the game before the Switch ad aired and only came back late in the fourth quarter to witness Atlanta's complete implosion/New England's meteoric comeback. The ads up to the point of the Switch reveal were lackluster with the ones generating the most "buzz" being the Mr. Clean ad and the AirBNB diversity ad. Even the Budweiser ad was muted by the fact that it was out there way ahead of time.

The amount of awareness that was spread is likely extremely limited. And those who did see the ad and become interested, how do you think they'll feel come March 3rd when they realize they aren't getting a Switch because Nintendo is shipping a pathetic amount which have all been sold to die hard fans (and some scalpers) through preorders?

I do agree with you that what counts going forward is their campaign throughout the rest of the year. The original Wii had a very good, very concise ad campaign that helped sell the system. Switch needs the same. But considering so far Nintendo hasn't exactly been consistent on what the Switch's primary role will be (handheld? console? motion control? traditional gaming?) with their own fanbase, I can't say I'm optimistic they'll have a strong marketing campaign.

It's already getting a lot of views on Youtube before the event and getting some more after the event, some websites also featured the Super Bowl ads (like the Time linked earlier), a lot of people are tuned in to the event, etc. So it did its job. Whether the ad makes people interested to the system is a different discussion altogether, since we'll never know until a specific study is conducted, like a nationwide survey or something.

And of course the availability is also a different story. Even if it's not available day 1 due to very high demand, not everybody interested in a system are day 1 buyers anyway. The major thing here is to maintain the interest of potential buyers. And that starts with the continued advertisement, and followed by a strong word of mouth from early adopters.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Thank you Switch. Switched the game around.

Will buy everything at launch now! \o/

(Not really, just Zelda)

Jobbs

Banned
Effective commercial IMO and makes it very clear what the system does.

I wonder how much living room awareness there is of Zelda in general? Do a lot of non-hardcore gamers see something like this and recognize it?

For the people out at bars, were they any reactions to any commercials? I ask because I usually do Super Bowls at a house were more attention is paid during commercial breaks. Most of my bar experiences for sports games have had no one paying attention during breaks.

herod

Nintendo have made the correct sacrifice to the gods of money at the handegg ceremony. Now they can look forward to their rewards.

Somehow Your Expectation At A Bar: Everyone is laser focused on the Switch ad as it comes on, regardless of how the game was going at that point in time, away from their drinks and food.

Realistic Expectation At A Bar: Commercials are barely paid attention to, it's sort of loud usually, the volume is lowered with subtitles, people will only really pay attention when someone shouts how the shit is gonna go down.

Hattori

Banned
source.gif

Crazyorloco

You guys put way too much stock on an immediate impact a Super Bowl ad. It's all about spreading awareness, especially in the NFL-loving USA, and it did its job.

The key thing here is how consistent Nintendo will advertise the Switch after this and after launch.

You got it. Same thing with Pokémon last year in the super bowl.

Tomorrow morning there will be a top 10 Super Bowl Commercial list from a number of sites. With how drab many of this year's commercials were, Nintendo might get lucky and be on a number of them. It was pretty good, but definitely not the best commercial this time around, and not at much of an impact as the Pokémon one last year.

Already there:

The question, though, is: Did it?

I know a lot of people who had tuned out of the game before the Switch ad aired and only came back late in the fourth quarter to witness Atlanta's complete implosion/New England's meteoric comeback. The ads up to the point of the Switch reveal were lackluster with the ones generating the most "buzz" being the Mr. Clean ad and the AirBNB diversity ad. Even the Budweiser ad was muted by the fact that it was out there way ahead of time.

The amount of awareness that was spread is likely extremely limited. And those who did see the ad and become interested, how do you think they'll feel come March 3rd when they realize they aren't getting a Switch because Nintendo is shipping a pathetic amount which have all been sold to die hard fans (and some scalpers) through preorders?

I do agree with you that what counts going forward is their campaign throughout the rest of the year. The original Wii had a very good, very concise ad campaign that helped sell the system. Switch needs the same. But considering so far Nintendo hasn't exactly been consistent on what the Switch's primary role will be (handheld? console? motion control? traditional gaming?) with their own fanbase, I can't say I'm optimistic they'll have a strong marketing campaign.

E:

The Pokemon ad wasn't selling anything.
It was just an ad celebrating a milestone.

After the football game, sites and news are going to talk about the game and the ads during the Super Bowl. There is going to be awareness. There were millions that definitely saw the ad even if it wasn't as many as it could have been. Nintendo is associated with one of the most historic Super Bowls ever.

Also why would they advertise for Pokémon last year during the super bowl?...they knew it was going to be a big year for the franchise. It got everyone to talk about it. It paid off. The switch is doing the same. Time magazine already has a piece on it. Immediate impact isn't just about the viewers watching the game it's about what's being said afterwards.

random25

Somehow Your Expectation At A Bar: Everyone is laser focused on the Switch ad as it comes on, regardless of how the game was going at that point in time, away from their drinks and food.

Realistic Expectation At A Bar: Commercials are barely paid attention to, it's sort of loud usually, the volume is lowered with subtitles, people will only really pay attention when someone shouts how the shit is gonna go down.

Realistic Expectation At A Bar: Commercials are bathroom breaks.

Cuburt

I don't know, I feel like a new Imagine Dragons song that came out on Friday wasn't fitting nor recognizable... and I don't think it is that good of a song either.

I actually think it's a pretty clever move, the more I've been thinking about it and after doing a little research.

The song is the first single off their newest album and the song released the same day that the Super Bowl ad was put online.

Not only does this have the chance of catching people who are Imagine Dragons fans (they are a pretty popular band) with new music they haven't heard yet, but Nintendo gets in on the ground floor with a song that gets to be associated with the console, since I assume in the next few weeks in the marketing blitz lead up to launch, this will be a normally run 30 second ad on TV.

That means that as the song gains spins on the radio and starts becoming more popular, the Switch can ride some of that recognition, instead of running the risk of overexposing an already popular song.

Considering that Imagine Dragons are Zelda fans (a fact I found out when Reggie mentioned it when they performed at the Game Awards 2014 with Koji Kondo) I would think they worked with Nintendo to put out the song in that way. Am I the only one that thinks the timing suggests that Imagine Dragons wanted to debut the song in that way? It also gives them exposure at the Super Bowl as well.

Mawile

Banned
I like the simplicity of the commercial and the pacing. Seems Nintendo is stepping up their commercial game, although I'll always have a soft spot for the more cheesier ones.

Nintendo is shipping a pathetic amount

just stop with this, jesus. The PS4 launch hit 2.1 million units sold after about 17 days of data which included over two weeks of NA sales and the first few days of the EU launch.

All indications point to Nintendo being able to ship and sell more than that number within the first week. Yes the fact that it's a simultaneous worldwide launch means NA can't be the focus of the >2 mill launch day availability, but lets just stop with this fabricated narrative that the number of units they'll have to sell within that first week is 'pathetic'

JoeM86

All I had to say was "it's 300 dollars" for everyone in the room to say "nope." But maybe I hang out with a bunch of poor people...

You do know not everyone is complaining at the price, right? In fact, anecdotally, the more general consumers I've spoken to about Switch think it's a reasonable price. It's mostly hardcore gamers who think it's too expensive

Hey guys,

I watched the ad from an all night bar here in Manchester, England (live stream on a big screen for the authentic coverage).

When the ad came on everyone started talking & cheering about the Switch. Everyone then left the bar while the game was still going on and immediately headed for GAME to start a queue for when the store opened this morning in order to get a pre order in.

The bar even ended up closing early before the game had finished because the bar owner wanted to head for the queue as well.

Anyway, just walked past the queue on my way to work and everyone is still there banging on the doors of the Arndale centre to let them in. Some guy playing the music from the trailer on his phone at full volume.

weekev

Banned
Hey guys,

I watched the ad from an all night bar here in Manchester, England.

When the ad came on everyone started talking & cheering about the Switch. Everyone then left the bar while the game was still going on and immediately headed for GAME to start a queue for when the store opened this morning in order to get a pre order in.

The bar even ended up closing early before the game had finished because the bar owner wanted to head for the queue as well.
No dice BBC doesn't have ads.

Hey guys,

I watched the ad from an all night bar here in Manchester, England (live stream on a big screen for the authentic coverage).

Anyway, just walked past the queue on my way to work and everyone is there there banging on the doors of the Arndale centre to let them in. Some guy playing the music from the trailer on his phone at full volume.

This got me... LMAO!!

You do know not everyone is complaining at the price, right? In fact, anecdotally, the more general consumers I've spoken to about Switch think it's a reasonable price. It's mostly hardcore gamers who think it's too expensive

Those hardcore gamers are the one that are early adapters so it is relevant no?

All I had to say was "it's 300 dollars" for everyone in the room to say "nope." But maybe I hang out with a bunch of poor people...

It's more than that.

$300 - system
$60 - game
$50 - memory card
$60 - pro controller in the ad

That's $470 + tax. $500 bones for this. No kids worth that.

JoeM86

It's more than that.

$300 - system
$60 - game
$50 - memory card

Yeah because other consoles don't have "hidden costs". I hate this thing when people bring it up. Newsflash, games and peripherals cost money on other devices too.

You also don't need a memory card.

Nerazar

Those hardcore gamers are the one that are early adapters so it is relevant no?

Well, Nintendo sold through their first batch to those hardcore gamers.

And I don't see how the reaction to a SuperBowl ad should look like in this case? When was the last time people actually switched off the game to pre-order the gaming device or game they saw in that Superbowl ad? ;) You make it look as if everyone should have applauded the 30 second ad in order for Nintendo to get any benefit from that exposure... and of course already start to line up at the stores.

AniHawk

It's more than that.

$300 - system
$60 - game
$50 - memory card

don't forget about the television you have to play it on, the monthly electrical bill charges this thing will force on you, the gas it takes to go to drive to a place to pick up the stuff and drive back home, and the groceries that you need in order to provide sustenance while playing the switch. we're looking at something at least $1,000 before taxes. at least with the ps4 i had it delivered to work and that thing was only $400 plus a game.

japtor

don't forget about the television you have to play it on, the monthly electrical bill charges this thing will force on you, the gas it takes to go to drive to a place to pick up the stuff and drive back home, and the groceries that you need in order to provide sustenance while playing the switch. we're looking at something at least $1,000 before taxes.
Actually you don't even need the TV for the Switch, so if you already have one you can sell it and the dock and probably end up making some money in the end. It pays for itself.

Zedark

don't forget about the television you have to play it on, the monthly electrical bill charges this thing will force on you, the gas it takes to go to drive to a place to pick up the stuff and drive back home, and the groceries that you need in order to provide sustenance while playing the switch. we're looking at something at least $1,000 before taxes. at least with the ps4 i had it delivered to work and that thing was only $400 plus a game.
And that couch, toilet and bed you need as well. Jesus Christus Nintendo, what were you thinking?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom