• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Uses Friend Codes To Add Friends as primary method, others detailed

It looks like it's another option to add a friend. You should still be able to send a friend request like the other systems.

ClarkZuckerberg

Neo Member
1.jpg

Are we sure we don't have friend codes and usernames? That's how it looks to me, anyway. It's probably there to add 3DS users.

On the right it shows that the Switch has a friend code too. And I don't see anything there that says "Search by username".

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I mean, sure, it's an option (and why not the user id we just set up?). But you can also friends with the following methods:

Are friends with them in Mario Run
Are friends with them in Fire Emblem Heroes
Are friends with them in Miitomo
Both have My Nintendo linked to Twitter
Both have My Nintendo linked to Facebook
Are in the same room

To say it's the "main method" is odd, because I will be adding about 15 friends, none of which will need to use a friend code to do so.
You'll need mine...

I mean, sure, it's an option (and why not the user id we just set up?). But you can also friends with the following methods:

Are in the same room

To say it's the "main method" is odd, because I will be adding about 15 friends, none of which will need to use a friend code to do so.

And remember, gamers on mobile phones are used to the friend code method. Basically every gacha game uses them.

Radec

Haha wow.

How hard is it for nintendo to create a new column on their user login table to store custom usernames while still having friend codes generated?

Deft Beck

Won't friends be primarily added through social network connections, though?

In theory, but it has always been more convenient to just give them a username.

Given, in an era of Discord and Blizzard Tech, we will probably see more #1234 on usernames, which is basically a hybrid form of Friend Codes.

OldMuffin

Hey since Nintendo now has an online subscription that at least means a more modernised set of systems rights guys? No? Well fuck...

ZeroX03

Banned
I'm fine with it, doesn't phase me too much. Really prefer good social media linking if possible. Facebook and Twitter linking would solve 90% of my required friends.

You'll get suggestions if you set it up to Facebook and Twitter, still I don't know how this happened when Wii U bypassed it.

ClarkZuckerberg

Neo Member
I mean, sure, it's an option (and why not the user id we just set up?). But you can also add friends with the following methods:

Are in the same room

And remember, gamers on mobile phones are used to the friend code method. Basically every gacha game uses them.

But those 15 friends are already your friends as you stated. If I meet someone new I have to give them my friend code. That's the main method. Just because it's not your main method, everything else you listed is way too complicated to add somebody compared to typing in a friend code. That begin said, friend codes are way too complicated.

Zafir

So, they've added every possibility of adding a friend via many games and people locally close to you etc.

Yet using the uniquely identifiable ID you've asked people to choose is out of the question?

Okay Nintendo.

Shiggy

Why not just user names? I don't play with anyone on Facebook or Twitter, and names would've been easier to remember than friendcodes.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
If it's an option together with just regular add by username it's good...But if this is the only way lol

sanstesy

Even the Wii U has no friend codes.

How does this make sense? What is going on? Why is Amazon sending me stuff I canceled years ago?

sazzy

Looks like just one way to add friends. Unless I'm not reading it right.

The other two are:

search for people around you physically
search for people you've played with

If I wanted to add you, and we are not in the same room or have not played a game together, we would need to use friend codes.

That's how I understand it.

Jazzem

At least it's not the only way, but unless I'm misreading you can't add by username?...that's daft if so :/

Top Bottom