• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Uses Friend Codes To Add Friends as primary method, others detailed

Delio

So you cant just add by using their name like on the WiiU? That's really backwards for no real reason :/

So they release one of the highest rated games of all time... yet still keep friend codes? Nintendo are the most confusing company in the world.

-shadow-

Man this thread is hilarious. For heaven sake guys, it's one of the four options. Talk about misinformation at its finest.

Robin64

On the other hand: Is typing a number instead of a username really that hard for some of you? Do you get angry when you ask someone for their mobile phone number and it's actually a number?

article said:
Although, it looks like you’ll need to give someone a 12 digit friend code to add them if they’re not on a service that you’re connected to.

giphy.gif

Oh Nintendo...

NSESN

It's strange you cAn add randoms from games you have seen them online in, but you need a code for people you want specifically. Like wasn't friend codes used to "protect" users from weirdos? This seems backwards.

It seems weird. I just hope Nintendo don't relegate adding friends by username for the smartphone app.

Anteo

I wonder they use fcs because they want to hide the username used to log into their services. Like, thats the only thing I can think of.

Murkas

Nintendo have always been clueless about online, probably has to do with their "think of the children" attitude.

They still haven't put in a built in ethernet port after all these years. You fail on something that simple, what else can you expect.

Still buying it the day they announce a Monster Hunter though...

Nibel

I blame DeNa

but also won't lose my shit since searching by ID is nothing that can't be added via future FW updates

Hoo-doo

Banned
Man this thread is hilarious. For heaven sake guys, it's one of the four options. Talk about misinformation at its finest.

No, this is misinformation.

It's missing the one key feature that's been a standard on consoles since the OG Xbox. Direct console-to-console friend invites with a username instead of a numerical code.

Crackbone

On the other hand: Is typing a number instead of a username really that hard for some of you? Do you get angry when you ask someone for their mobile phone number and it's actually a number?

It's an unnecessary step that's inconvenient and frankly completely backward in 2017.

RiggyRob

If only this was known before the day before it launches, Nintendo would have had time to change this in response to public opinion.

If I want to add new friends that I've never played with, it's the main option. It's makes zero fucking sense to have a Facebook and twitter option and not have a general username option. Like shit, we've all seen the other options in the screenshot. Those are shitty options. That's the problem.

There is no reason you shouldn't be able to just give someone a username to add them.

Rellik

If me and you wanted to add each other then we'd have to use a friend code. I'm probably not near you, I'm not your Twitter friend and we don't have each other added on their phone games.

So yes this friend code thing is BS. They give you every option but the useful one.

NSESN

BTW, if Nintendo is serious about Switch being a console, why they implemented the 3DS way of adding friends instead of the Wii U way?

Robin64

It's an unnecessary step that's inconvenient and frankly completely backward in 2017.

It's exactly the same number of steps as adding someone by their username. And it's not "backwards in 2017", Japanese mobile phone games use this method all the time. As does my aforementioned mobile phone, which uses an "11 digit friend code".

Mechazawa

Bruh, the other three options are from online match history, an account on your system and someone you had on the phone games.

It's especially stupid since theres an option to create a unique id for your account on the mynintendo website.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Their mobile games use game specific friend codes despite all being tied to Nintendo account.

All have unique friend lists.

No switch is one more unique friend code and another separate friend list.

LOL.

Nintendo still doesn't get it.

Robust parental controls useless again

Nintendo have always been clueless about online, probably has to do with their "think of the children" attitude.

They still haven't put in a built in ethernet port after all these years. You fail on something that simple, what else can you expect.

Still buying it the day they announce a Monster Hunter though...

Why would most potentially want the cost of the console to be higher to accomodate the 3% that would bother using ethernet

Skux

One step forward, two steps nowhere.

Reading the Zelda review thread, the game sounds amazing. It just boggles my mind how bad everything else about the console is.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
You have got to be kidding me.

THE WII U DOESN'T USE FRIEND CODES
Actually, it does. It's only an option though and one that is only forced upon the user of its enabled via parental controls.

Taking a wait and see approach as I'm expecting it to be similarly optional.

The main method for you*

The main method for anyone who doesn't keep their gaming friends on social media. If you want to add a user from neogaf right now that you're not already mates with, you'll need to use a friend code, so please don't come at me with that weak ass "for you" nonsense.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I blame DeNa

but also won't lose my shit since searching by ID is nothing that can't be added via future FW updates

You can afaik change your ID as often as you want. I think that's why they use the FC again..correct me if I'm wrong tho.

It's like the blizzard system for battle.net, right? You have your name like Sesuadra, but if a friends wants to add you they need your sesuadra#12345 name or email?

test_account

XP-39C²
I mean, sure, it's an option (and why not the user id we just set up?). But you can also add friends with the following methods:

Are friends with them in Mario Run
Are friends with them in Fire Emblem Heroes
Are friends with them in Miitomo
Both have My Nintendo linked to Twitter
Both have My Nintendo linked to Facebook
Are in the same room

To say it's the "main method" is odd, because I will be adding about 15 friends, none of which will need to use a friend code to do so.

And remember, gamers on mobile phones are used to the friend code method. Basically every gacha game uses them.
I dont think its odd to say that. The main method to add people in general is to use an identifier, either it being an username, email or code. Otherwise it requires external things like the games you mention.

Top Bottom