• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo to talk more about its first mobile project tomorrow

Cyd0nia

Banned
For anyone wondering when this might be going down, Rosti posted this in the results thread:

Rösti;183240713 said:
I believe the Corporate Management Policy Briefing / Second Quarter Financial Results Briefing is usually at 10:00 AM JST, so here's a preliminary countdown:

t1446080400z4.png

Pizza

I just really want a WarioWare. Fast paced microgames fit perfect for Mobile. Hopefully eventually :p

WARIOWARE WOULD BE PERFECT. even thematically.

Wario spots people playing some mobile game in public. He downloads it and sees how easy they are to make, and how microtransactions work. Two giant dollar-sign eyes later he grabs his friends and makes "warioware but on your phone" and he makes BILLIONS.

Warioware would work so good on mobile.

Wario spots people playing some mobile game in public. He downloads it and sees how easy they are to make, and how microtransactions work. Two giant dollar-sign eyes later he grabs his friends and makes "warioware but on your phone" and he makes BILLIONS.

That is perfect. Now I'm going to be upset if it's anything other than WarioWare.

Anth0ny

I just really want a WarioWare. Fast paced microgames fit perfect for Mobile. Hopefully eventually :p

Wario Ware was a mobile game before mobile games were a thing.

It would be PERFECT for mobile. probably more perfect than any other existing nintendo IP. it would barely suffer with the transition, too.

georly

yeah, I agree

I used to walk around with this on me like an idiot:

250px-pokewalkeryvqc2.png

just because it actually meant something for the real game I was playing.

I knew another nintendo game did this somehow but I was blanking out. Exactly this. Hell, take it a step further.... any pokemon you catch in pokemon go... you can transfer to the new NX pokemon game (limit it to 1 per day or something like that.)

Geo's tier of best possible mobile games:

Rhythm Heaven
Elite Beat Agents
Warioware
Hotel Dusk
Link's Crossbow Training

I'd like to see a Captain Toad game where-in our hero is constantly moving, much like the toys in the Mario vs. DK games. The player would have to twist and manipulate world in order to solve puzzles and collect the stars.

That would be ideal for me, but if I'm being honest, I'll probably be happy with anything. My main concern isn't the actual game, but more the pricing.

I honestly want a mobile game that ties in with a console/handheld game somehow.

Like an animal crossing side-game where you can earn bells or buy furniture that can transfer to the console version.

Hell, even like a 'Link's crossbow training 2' where you tap on the screen and earn rupees/items (buying new stages with real money), and then can send those rupees/upgrade items to zelda U.

I mean, don't lock (non-cosmetic) content behind the mobile game, but accelerate game progression if you're also invested in the mobile game. Can't grind at home? Grind a bit in the mobile game while you're away and reap the rewards at home!

DeNA is developing the online backends of both the mobile games and Nintendo's dedicated platforms, so there's a good chance we'll see something like that.

Well Puzzle and Dragons Z sold over a million copies in Japan and 3DS sales rose by 60k the week it released(although it was the holidays so its hard to tell how much affect it had). We'll see if Monster Strike does similarily.

On the Western front Angry Birds is still one of the best selling third party 3DS games.

Well, such success stories are few and far between; the subsequent console release of Angry Birds Star Wars didn't sell nearly as well, and I think P&D Mario underperformed in Japan (and the two-pack outright bombed elsewhere.

But I think these are more examples of mobile IP having significant audience overlap with existing 3DS owners than of mobile IP up-selling previously mobile-only gamers.

Ideally the mobile games are fun for both casual and core gamers, raise big revenue for Nintendo while being fair to customers, and also tie into Nintendo's ecosystem.

If you're a lapsed Nintendo fan with a PS4/XB1, the mobile game ought to make you want a NX when that comes out.

I would think the primary (albeit not sole) target audience here is those who've lapsed from dedicated gaming platforms entirely, or in the case of many younger gamers, never even owned a dedicated platform.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Have a feeling its either going to be Mario or Pokeman.

They are already co-funding Pokemon GO. Their own first mobile game will NOT be Pokemon 100%.
Insiders rumors also point out that the first game will not use Mario or another BIG existing IP, but that will be probably unveiled (partially, I think) tomorrow

georly

DeNA is developing the online backends of both the mobile games and Nintendo's dedicated platforms, so there's a good chance we'll see something like that.

The unified backend is what gave me the idea to begin with. I want stuff to automatically transfer via my account, maybe even give me *New* Club Nintendo coins which I can redeem to download more games or gemeralds in my games..

God dammit if the new club nintendo is just called *NEW* Club Nintendo... ;_;

*groan*

Rodin

Yeah i really want Wario Ware, it would be absolutely perfect for mobile. Cmon ninty

They are already co-funding Pokemon GO. Their own first mobile game will NOT be Pokemon 100%.
Insiders rumors also point out that the first game will not use Mario or another BIG existing IP, but that will be probably unveiled (partially, I think) tomorrow
But what if it's capitan todd

Oregano

Well, such success stories are few and far between; the subsequent console release of Angry Birds Star Wars didn't sell nearly as well, and I think P&D Mario underperformed in Japan (and the two-pack outright bombed elsewhere.

But I think these are more examples of mobile IP having significant audience overlap with existing 3DS owners than of mobile IP up-selling previously mobile-only gamers.

I would think the primary (albeit not sole) target audience here is those who've lapsed from dedicated gaming platforms entirely, or in the case of many younger gamers, never even owned a dedicated platform.

P&D Mario underperformed but it still sold a couple of hundred thousand copies(it also did a lot less to differentiate it from the base game on a content/gameplay pov). It's performance in the west is totally a reflection of P&D's lack of popularity/exposure in the west.

As to the bolded that,migt be true and it's totally untested but they still in effect convinced people who were used to play P&D for free to buy software for full price. I'd wager that the initial price for hardware is actually a lower barrier.

AdanVC

I'm expecting it to be pikmin 4.

Don't think Pikmin will work on mobile. Actual Pikmins will look minuscule on smarthphone screens. Even in Pikmin 3 I had trouble sometimes trying to localize few of my Pikmins and stuff because they sometimes vanished on the environment.

Pikmin spin-off game on mobile however... A puzzle game or something.

Jakoo

I doubt they would denigrate Iwata-san's legacy like that.

Hey, if Iwata brokered the deal, maybe that was part of the conditions--to bring his baby back.....
with microtransactions.

I'm half joking, but I do think that Nintendo will be inadvertently making a statement with whatever type of game this ends up being (If it has IAP, if it's FTP, etc.). I hope it's more Nintendo then DeNA.

maxcriden

Hey, if Iwata brokered the deal, maybe that was part of the conditions--to bring his baby back.....
with microtransactions.

I'm half joking, but I do think that Nintendo will be inadvertently making a statement with whatever type of game this ends up being (If it has IAP, if it's FTP, etc.). I hope it's more Nintendo then DeNA.

I know you're joking, but he really did already get an amazing modern version of his game in Nintendo Land. ;)

I do expect it will be more Nintendo than DeNA. Or of equal measure between the two.

Toparaman

Banned

It would be PERFECT for mobile. probably more perfect than any other existing nintendo IP. it would barely suffer with the transition, too.

My god, you're right. It would be a big hit on mobile for sure.

If Nintendo actually want success in the mobile market, especially if your new console(s) are tied heavily into it then you come out big and you come out strong. You prove that you mean serious business.

It's going to be Mario. It's got to be. If it's not, you know Nintendo are going into another market half heartedly and will have another generation of poor results.

Tirod

I know it won't be the first game, but eventually I hope to see a paid Warioware app. I loved Touch! so much, and with phones they could explore other features too.

DangerMan

Banned
WarioWare and Elite Beat Agents would be perfect. They might get accused of copying Osu! if they do Elite Beat Agents since I know a lot of people who play Osu! and think it was an original game and don't believe it's a clone of a Nintendo game.

maxcriden

If Nintendo actually want success in the mobile market, especially if your new console(s) are tied heavily into it then you come out big and you come out strong. You prove that you mean serious business.

It's going to be Mario. It's got to be. If it's not, you know Nintendo are going into another market half heartedly and will have another generation of poor results.

It won't be Mario, not immediately at least.

AdanVC

So true. Lot's of microgames on the Wario Ware series translate very well to mobile it's crazy. In fact, I'm plenty sure lot's of mobile developers somehow stole gameplay ideas from some of the microgames in Wario Ware and they turned it into full games for mobile. Heck even the red bird from Angry Birds looks like Pyoro...

Can you imagine what the reaction from the tech press would be to that? It'd be worth it for that alone.

Top Bottom