• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo to talk more about its first mobile project tomorrow

Isn't Hideki Konno in charge of the mobile game team, or at least one of the mobile game teams?

I trust him to do something cool.

People need to be careful with their hype, though. We're talking about a mobile game with touch interface and no buttons or sticks. Not a port of an existing Nintendo title. How good could it possibly be to us, when what we want from Nintendo is Galaxy 3 and Zelda Wii U with dual analog? It's gonna be a game designed for smartphone users that DON'T have a Nintendo system. That is the whole point of Nintendo making smartphone games, to entice people to purchase their systems because they love their mobile games and want to play more of their IP.

georly

I honestly want a mobile game that ties in with a console/handheld game somehow.

Like an animal crossing side-game where you can earn bells or buy furniture that can transfer to the console version.

Hell, even like a 'Link's crossbow training 2' where you tap on the screen and earn rupees/items (buying new stages with real money), and then can send those rupees/upgrade items to zelda U.

I mean, don't lock (non-cosmetic) content behind the mobile game, but accelerate game progression if you're also invested in the mobile game. Can't grind at home? Grind a bit in the mobile game while you're away and reap the rewards at home!

Aaron D.

People need to be careful with their hype, though. We're talking about a mobile game with touch interface and no buttons or sticks. Not a port of an existing Nintendo title. How good could it possibly be to us,...

Your caution is not unwarranted, but I'd suggest that the best mobile games don't even bother with virtual buttons and sticks. They play to the platform's strengths (touch, tilt, etc.). With Nintendo at the helm, thinking & playing intelligently to the platform's strengths, the quality potential could be quite substantial.

As for how good these titles could possibly be with no physical sticks, buttons, or mainline titles like Galaxy 3...Well, I've already got 3 iOS titles locked into my 2015 GOTY Top 10 list. And Nintendo hasn't even released a single game on the platform!

I'd say the possibilities could be quite optimistic with them on board in the coming months and years.

Bring it.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I think Nintendo would look at the sales drop-off between the DS and 3DS versions and think it's worth trying the series on mobile. Nintendo will not give a shit about the other pet games available on phones.

It's one thing to release a 1st party game on your own device with a very active user base and who are tempted to give priority to 1st party releases and it's another thing to release on mobile, among millions of other games and where games get cheap clones very fast. The sales drop-off between DS and 3ds might as well be caused by the fact that people got bored of this type of game, not because they moved to mobile meanwhile. If there was such a lust for this type of game on mobile, those that owned a DS would have at least tried some of the pet games on there, thus making at least one somehow succesful.

Nightbird

People need to be careful with their hype, though. We're talking about a mobile game with touch interface and no buttons or sticks. Not a port of an existing Nintendo title. How good could it possibly be to us

A good game works with its interface, not despite its interface.

dh4niel

evyjK5a.gif

Please tell me what this is from. :3

I'm honestly thinking Match 3 with Animal Crossing faces or some other simple thing. I don't think this is going to be what people think.

Is there an ETA on predicted announcement?

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Is this mobile games for iOS/Android or mobile as in DS handhelds? I enjoy some games on my smartphone but generally don't like playing games on a touch screen at all.

Keep those hopes for RH pretty low. As others have said, if this is intended to be an Android and iOS game, the Android HW doesn't work great for precision-based sound applications.

Oh they're lower than the cold cold ground.

It hurts because I know there's no chance.

Cindro

Have they already confirmed that their mobile efforts will be on both iOS and Android?

Because I just got an android phone a couple weeks ago and I want in on this action, but from what I've discovered lots of things only come to iOS.

marmoka

Banned
Is this mobile games for iOS/Android or mobile as in DS handhelds? I enjoy some games on my smartphone but generally don't like playing games on a touch screen at all.

There's a rumour that says it will be a Windows Phone exclusive.

Just kidding. I hope it does not really happen.

maxcriden

Have they already confirmed that their mobile efforts will be on both iOS and Android?

Because I just got an android phone a couple weeks ago and I want in on this action, but from what I've discovered lots of things only come to iOS.

It's exceedingly unlikely to be iOS only. Android represents a good percent of the US and esp. worldwide market, I think.

It must be Mario.

I'm betting on some sort of puzzle game.

We've already been told by Serkan Toto (industry analyst) not to expect Mario for their first game. (I'm expecting Nintendogs.)

zelas

I can't wait! I haven't been interested in handhelds in years so it will be nice to finally play something from Nintendo on the go. Advance Wars, Warioware, Rhythm Heaven, or Kirby please!

From the article: do supposedly objective analysts really believe this stuff?

“One strategy might be to use smartphone games not primarily to earn profits, but to boost awareness of game characters, which could drive sales of console games in the future,” said Hiroyasu Eguchi, an analyst at Bank of America Merrill Lynch.

I know Iwata (RIP) made comments to this effect, and I didn't begrudge him too much because dedicated game platforms are still Nintendo's primary business and they have to look on the bright side, but I just can't see how this is realistic thinking.

I mean, who is going to go: "Wow, those F2P Mario games I played on my iPhone were great! I can't wait to pay $200 for a separate hardware platform so that I can buy $60 Mario games for it!"

(Credit where it's due: Iwata did say that mobile would be one of the company's pillars of revenue by the end of next FY, so I do think they probably see mobile as primarily a revenue stream in its own right and only secondarily as marketing for their dedicated business.)

Darkiway

Neo Member
I'm not sure what to expect. A lot of nintendo IPs could transition or spin off nicely on the mobile market.

I say, just don't expect a serious Mario, Zelda, Metroid or somesuch title.

Unless we get a Mario Party Mobile?

Otherwise, Advance Wars, Nintendogs, Pushmo, Denpamen, Animal Crossing, game freak's Harmo Knight, Chibi Robo, Brain Age, Art Academy...

There is no shortage of potential.

Lunar15

I think it'll be Captain Toad.

This actually isn't a terrible guess.

One thing I'd like to mention is that Nintendo has no desire to get Nintendo fans and traditional gamers interested in smartphones. They're not going to want to shift that market over to a device that they don't create. The point of them going mobile is to appeal to a completely different market they don't have a stake in.

Berordn

Something like Happy Home designer would've worked quite well as a smartphone game I think.

Going by footage impressions at least, dunno if there's anything meaty that requires button input of sorts.

Happy Home Designer would actually have been great for the mobile space, with a different monetization strategy. It's mostly reused assets, touch interface, built for social and sharing. Probably didn't take that many resources to build, so it'd be easy to test the waters with.

And if they wanted to, amiibo cards would work great on phones with NFC readers.

Anth0ny

I honestly want a mobile game that ties in with a console/handheld game somehow.

Like an animal crossing side-game where you can earn bells or buy furniture that can transfer to the console version.

Hell, even like a 'Link's crossbow training 2' where you tap on the screen and earn rupees/items (buying new stages with real money), and then can send those rupees/upgrade items to zelda U.

I mean, don't lock (non-cosmetic) content behind the mobile game, but accelerate game progression if you're also invested in the mobile game. Can't grind at home? Grind a bit in the mobile game while you're away and reap the rewards at home!

yeah, I agree

I used to walk around with this on me like an idiot:

250px-pokewalkeryvqc2.png

just because it actually meant something for the real game I was playing.

Aaron D.

I know Iwata (RIP) made comments to this effect, and I didn't begrudge him too much because dedicated game platforms are still Nintendo's primary business and they have to look on the bright side, but I just can't see how this is realistic thinking.

I mean, who is going to go: "Wow, those F2P Mario games I played on my iPhone were great! I can't wait to pay $200 for a separate hardware platform so that I can buy $60 Mario games for it!"

(Credit where it's due: Iwata did say that mobile would be one of the company's pillars of revenue by the end of next FY, so I do think they probably see mobile as primarily a revenue stream in its own right and only secondarily as marketing for their dedicated business.)

It's an interesting conundrum, that's for sure.

Do you hold back all your best material in order to serve a market that has been in decline for years? It's tempting as Nintendo has a virtual monopoly on the dedicated handheld market, so they're in in complete control. Yet all indicators point to the market at the very least going enthusiast-boutique (think: high-end cameras or stereo equipment).

On the other hand do they go all in on mobile, providing compelling content from the brightest minds in the company? Hitting the scene with a big splash could turn heads in the largest "gaming platform" on the planet. Do they tap into that in earnest or do they hold back?

We all know that mobile gamers are used to low prices if not F2P. Is Nintendo savvy enough to change minds? If not $40 at a time, then perhaps $5? Can they afford to ignore mobile by only throwing out cheap game experiences in hopes of migrating people over to their dedicated platforms? Would this turn off mobile consumers?

I'm not expecting Galaxy 3 or Prime 4, but Nintendo needs to do better than offer "taste of" experiences. Perhaps they'll only dip their toes in to test the waters. But I think they'll eventually need to bring their A game to the platform. Nintendo titles on mobile can be GOTY contenders without having to have GOTY (or even dedicated handheld) budgets.

They just can't come off like they're skimping or only invested in "demos" advertising their hardware, imo. They can make bank by just putting in some effort and investing in their customers exclusive to the mobile space, not trying to up sell them.

GreatNumber

Unconfirmed Member
If we are going to just throw out ideas as to what this stuff is going to be.
A splatoon game where you point your phone at walls and splat it via the phone. All splats are registered and after a set time frame (week/month) a total is counted to see what team colored the world the most.
I'm sure this is infinitely more complicated then it sounds.

An infinite runner F-Zero in the vein of the Nintendo Land game.
Along with a new announcement for an F-Zero game coming to NX as a launch title
;-;

Could make a game based on pokemon but specifically the HM's. Make an entire game based around the idea of the strength boulder pushing puzzles. To move you tap the place you want to go and then tap the boulder to move it.
This would probably get boring super fast and would make me just want to play a traditional pokemon game on my smartphone.

I anticipate my ideas to be dashed and for nintendo to come up with something infinitely better.

Oregano

From the article: do supposedly objective analysts really believe this stuff?

Well Puzzle and Dragons Z sold over a million copies in Japan and 3DS sales rose by 60k the week it released(although it was the holidays so its hard to tell how much affect it had). We'll see if Monster Strike does similarily.

On the Western front Angry Birds is still one of the best selling third party 3DS games.

thefro

Ideally the mobile games are fun for both casual and core gamers, raise big revenue for Nintendo while being fair to customers, and also tie into Nintendo's ecosystem.

If you're a lapsed Nintendo fan with a PS4/XB1, the mobile game ought to make you want a NX when that comes out.

Top Bottom