• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo to talk more about its first mobile project tomorrow

It won't be Mario, not immediately at least.
Why?

Nintendo have always been at their best when they launch a new platform with an incredible Mario game. I'm not saying it's a platformer, it should be a game starring Mario though. A fucking great game. A mobile game pulled out from the depths of Nintendo's creative well. A showstopper from day one, not a half arsed nothing game. A game that makes everyone sit up and take notice. A product that says Nintendo is here and they mean business. Isn't this what we should what?

Also since when have Nintendo been so precious with Mario? They've been plenty happy to whore him out to distinctly average fare in the past.

E-phonk

Banned
What is the timing of this announcement?

Countdown to the meeting:

Rösti;183240713 said:
I believe the Corporate Management Policy Briefing / Second Quarter Financial Results Briefing is usually at 10:00 AM JST, so here's a preliminary countdown:

t1446080400z4.png

chrono01

Please tell me what this is from. :3
It was from a NicoNico stream of the broadcaster [girl in the gif] walking through the Ginza district [Tokyo] sampling various food. I thought it was cute so I gif'd it. It makes for a good reaction gif too.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Hopefully they'll announce that they won't be bringing anything to such a shitty platform and that you should go and get a 3DS or even a Vita.
I, too, would be very happy about that. If they really need to bring games to phones, at least always bring those games to Nintendo platforms day and date. I don't want a touch phone.

Scum

Advance Wars
A "Touch Generation" IP
Nintendo Puzzle League
Nintendo TCG
Animal Crossing _________

Lynd7

Whatever it is it won't be something that copies whatever is on their own platforms. Hope its exciting though.

Nintendo has so many properties that would make a smooth transition to being some sort of 'endless runner' type game (Mario, Balloon Trip, Ice Climbers, Yoshi Touch & Go, the above mentioned Aura-Aura Climber, etc.)

I wouldn't mind seeing WarioWare come back, even if it would borrow heavily from Touched!

Muzy72

Banned
So where do Nintendo's second party IPs fall into this? IPs like Kirby, Fire Emblem, etc? It'd certainly be weird for Kirby to not have a mobile game.

TheJoRu

Nintendogs

Yup, would make a ton of sense. Hideki Konno who's currently in charge of the mobile development team at Nintendo produced Nintendogs for the DS (and 3DS), it's a perfect fit for a touch-only interface, can make for great social features (I'm not saying social interaction definitely is a focus for them, but I'm guessing they'll want something that is not a closed-in experience but rather something you can share with others, it's very Nintendo), can easily be morphed using a free-to-start model ("buy coins so you can purchase new types of dogs, and toys for your dog!") and is a borderline ideal franchise for this primarily casual market.

Now that I've realized how well a Nintendogs Mobile would work it's definitely not happening.

Jumpman23

Mass market appeal says Nintendogs and Cats. The gamer in me wants Advanced Wars. Nintendo will deliver something completely different.

Dad

I hadn't really thought about it until this thread, but Nintendongs would honestly probably be a really sound choice for the mobile market. More marketable and instantly appealing than something like Advance Wars.

Mik317

I'm predicting Advance Wars. Anyone else?

This would leave me in an interesting state.

On one hand I'd be super butthurt about not recieving a 3DS advance wars.

But then again.... it a new goddam advance wars tho.

I just hope the artstyle is good I guess

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
The producer behind NIntendogs/Mario Kart is developing the first mobile game. I mean seriously, if it isn't a new IP, it has to be Nintendogs.

But I can also see the WarioWare and Brain Age teams chime in shortly after.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I hadn't really thought about it until this thread, but Nintendongs would honestly probably be a really sound choice for the mobile market. More marketable and instantly appealing than something like Advance Wars.

image.php

twisteh

Ugh. Now whatever turns up is going to be a disappointment as after reading this thread I just want Advance Wars. It would be perfect for the touch screen as well.

maxcriden

the dumb ways to die game is a total ripoff of WW and it did very well.

It's not the gameplay I don't see being successful. Just the aesthetic of WW.

Why?

Nintendo have always been at their best when they launch a new platform with an incredible Mario game. I'm not saying it's a platformer, it should be a game starring Mario though. A fucking great game. A mobile game pulled out from the depths of Nintendo's creative well. A showstopper from day one, not a half arsed nothing game. A game that makes everyone sit up and take notice. A product that says Nintendo is here and they mean business. Isn't this what we should what?

Also since when have Nintendo been so precious with Mario? They've been plenty happy to whore him out to distinctly average fare in the past.

Just about everything you said I agree with. Well. I don't agree with the last bit necessarily. Or I don't want to believe it, lol. Regardless, Serkan Toto said not to expect the bigger IPs to be a part of the first game. So I don't think we'll see Mario on mobile till next year.

Top Bottom