• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NL: NoE had asked Criterion for a take on F-Zero U [Up: Alex Ward Comments]

That suuuuuuckkkksss. Better late than never though. Get on it NCE!

EDIT: Though I guess Criterion 2011 doesn't really exist any more does it :[

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Did Nintendo not notice that EA owned Criterion?

This was in 2011, their partnership was actually in full effect at that time, what better way to show an actual unprecedented partnership then to have a studio from EA work on a revered IP from nintendo, it truly would have showed that nintendo was not only open to 3rd parties, but opened to western 3rd parties especially, this would have been a huge thing for nintendo and maybe even had did a bit more for the WiiU, but somehow, someway. EA and nintendo's relationship fell apart. It kinda kills me inside They clearly had something planned but it all fell through at the last minute.

They're building up to it, i can feel it... The next piece of the puzzle will come once Mario Maker is a success, then they'll turn 'Maker' into a series, and F-Zero Maker shall be born!

Someone should have asked Miyamoto at E3 if he saw the potential, given how keen he is on the idea of creation being it's own unique form of play.

At this point though, save it for NX!

Chindogg

If only Nintendo had enough people to make their own games so they wouldn't have to go around begging other people to do it.

They've published the most games in 2014 of any publisher by a country mile.

They can't make everything by themselves.

Updated the OP.

What's the issue? They were given ownership of the NFS IP at EA.

C'mon. It obviously reads; "we wanna make our own games" while they've been just cranking out NFS games. It's not really their IP, they didn't make NFS what it is. When people think of Criterion they think of Burnout. Not NFS.

Lol, Froza is "a bullet?" Okay... And you work on NFS now. Okay... Have fun with your little Need for Speed games. Let me know when you're going to make a relevant sequal to Underground 2.

Ridley327

Alex Ward grinding the gears of Nintendo fans since Burnout Paradise.

I think it goes back a lot further than that. I remember not being such a big fan of the Gamecube, though I think that had more to do with the difficulties of porting Renderware to it than anything else, as they were still independent at the time, living off of Renderware licensing fees between Burnout games.

BuggyMike

if it does get made itll most likely end up on nx anyway. I honestly dont want to see the next entry of the more "hardcore" Nintendo games like F-Zero or Metroid be made on the Wii U. The thing is capable of some decent visuals but not good enough to really make games like these blow our minds. Im kind of glad certain games skipped the Wii U so we can possibly see these games with huge graphical leaps from the last games.

What does he care? Clearly not something he was interested in doing then or now.

That comment doesn't help anyone. If he ever has to work on a licensed game he's not going to be the first designer approached, because who would want someone that isn't motivated? And gamers will see his name and think the game isn't very good, because he doesn't enjoy making them.

I imagine most wanted on a futurist city with random f-zero crafts to drive, smashing though donkey Kong signs while evading galactic police

Ridley327

I imagine most wanted on a futurist city with random f-zero crafts to drive, smashing though donkey Kong signs while evading galactic police

A Death Race-focused F-Zero would probably be pretty awesome, assuming they wanted to get away from the traditional circuit races.

"Pie in the sky" from a billion dollar company? This isn't some patron commissioning an artist to paint their dog. I mean, it's a business. You get money, you make game. Unless I missed a point of detail outside of the time constraint.

Neifirst

They're building up to it, i can feel it... The next piece of the puzzle will come once Mario Maker is a success, then they'll turn 'Maker' into a series, and F-Zero Maker shall be born!

Someone should have asked Miyamoto at E3 if he saw the potential, given how keen he is on the idea of creation being it's own unique form of play.

At this point though, save it for NX!

Wasn't that part of F-Zero X on the 64DD in Japan? I'm pretty sure it had a track creator.

Most likely, they didn't wanted to be show by Nintendo on how half-assed their port of Most Wanted was.

Criterion make 780p/60fps F-Zero? Would have put to shame both Criterion and EA, mostly EA since they were looking for an excuse to jump ship since before the WiiU were released.

Neiteio

1425661344028d5u1f.jpg

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
C'mon. It obviously reads; "we wanna make our own games" while they've been just cranking out NFS games. It's not really their IP, they didn't make NFS what it is. When people think of Criterion they think of Burnout. Not NFS.

He left EA to found his own studio and had Criterion working on a new IP. What more did you want?

Nottle

I've never played an f zero. How do they stack up in terms of quality? Does it go GX, 64, Snes? I know nothing about the GBA games.

Sendou

Well there you go. Nintendo doesn't want to make one. Other developers you would want to make one don't want to.

He comes off as kind of a jerk about it. Sure working on another IP isn't always the best thing but being offered to take on the next game after the revered F-Zero GX speaks highly of your studio at least.

Besides, it's not like Criterion invented NFS...

Agreed.

I think he's pretty bitter about Nintendo, EA, and probably big publishers in general after this.

That was the last straw for him if you read between the lines, and it's hard not to sympathise after him and his fellow developers got caught between corporate politics.

Koren

I've never played an f zero. How do they stack up in terms of quality? Does it go GX, 64, Snes? I know nothing about the GBA games.
You'll get different answers from each person you ask this question.

F-Zero X has perfect handling, a death match mode, a random-track mode which is surprisingly interesting, many nice tracks, a huge number of different crafts and is challenging. The backgrounds are bland, but they did that to get 60fps, so that's fair. The DD64 version even had a track editor.

F-Zero GX is wonderfully nice, even today, had wonderful handling too, plently of interesting tracks and crafts, a story mode (but lacks the deathmatch which many loved)... It's REALLY difficult, though, I'm pretty sure that nearly all players haven't unlocked the last set of courses (the AX ones). I don't find X difficult, but I was frustrated by the last cup in GX (story mode too). But the game isn't unfair, it's just really, really hard.

The original is still a nice and enjoyable game, with interesting tracks and crafts, even if there's only 4 of them. Fantastic soundtrack, too. But it's a Mode7 game, flat tracks with a couple jumps. Many people will probably find it a bit outdated, but I like to play it as much as I liked it in 1992.

I've only played the forst GBA game, which felt like a nice update of the original SNES game.

From a pure gameplay point of view, X may be the better game, but overall, I think GX is better (but I'm not fond of Deathmatch, so I only miss the random cup). If only I hadn't my ass kicked that bad on GX...

I love how people are reading that Alex Ward tweet and suddenly he's an asshole because he wasn't a fan of the idea.

Read it this way: EA forced NFS on them, Nintendo offered F-Zero. Had the former been a similar situation to the latter, things might have been different.

Edit: let me clarify, we live in an era of established IP getting sequel after sequel, if not the occasional reboot. Reputable Studio says they'd rather do something new instead, suddenly they "fucked up"? And using "lol what about NFS?" doesn't work because surely the circumstances were very different, as I stated above. And don't dare give me that "bu...but it's Nintendo" nonsense. They want to pursue new ideas, on their own terms, sadly history has proven the odds not to be in their favour

I find it exciting that Nintendo remember F-Zero and were trying to get one made. They recently mentioned a desire to collaborate with more third-party studios, perhaps this is a future project? Would be a hell of an NX launch title.

15strong

Why are people getting mad that he's being honest? He doesn't want to work on f zero. He gave us neat insider details and was honest about a question that was asked.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Honestly, I'm kinda glad Criterion didn't do it. They can do fast games, but I don't feel like their racers are anywhere nearly as precise as something like GX was.

Red Devil

I wonder if this is how Mario Kart 8 ended up having anti-gravity...

Although Criterion could be capable of making a good F-Zero game, not sure how I'd feel about an EA studio handling a Nintendo IP.

Top Bottom