• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NL: NoE had asked Criterion for a take on F-Zero U [Up: Alex Ward Comments]

Deadstar

The f-zero game on gamecube was such an incredibly fun game. Racing with so many racers on a track and having them blow up was amazing. I'm not sure if Nintendo could ever create a successor that would be worthy. It goes against everything they've been trying to do with making accessible games.

yoshiunity

f4178781.gif

Roo

I mean, why they didn't go with SEGA again instead?

They have a strong relationship, they're familiar with the IP, they might have a better idea of what Nintendo wants to do with it.

Also, lmao at Alex's comment.
Someone is still mad.

I mean, why they didn't go with SEGA again instead?

They have a strong relationship, they're familiar with the IP, they might have a better idea of what Nintendo wants to do with it.

Also, lmao at Alex's comment.
Someone is still mad.
Does SEGA have a dev team that can make the game? I think Sumo digital could, but they aren't owned by SEGA. It's like people wanting Capcom to make a Zelda game because of the GBC games despite most of those guys being hired by Nintendo/leaving Capcom.

Roo

Does SEGA have a dev team that can make the game? I think Sumo digital could, but they aren't owned by SEGA. It's like people wanting Capcom to make a Zelda game because of the GBC games despite most of those guys being hired by Nintendo/leaving Capcom.

I don't know. Maybe they do, maybe they don't.
It was a mere suggestion. Sadly, Amusement Vision (the team behind GX) died a year after the game was released but like I said, SEGA and Nintendo have a strong relationship so it seems logic to trust them once again an IP they're already familiar with.

Let's assume they currently don't have any available studio to develop the game. Nintendo can wait until one is open or even start development themselves and then move it to an external studio. It's not like they're in a rush or that the IP will be less dead if they work on it now or in 3 years.

It just struck me as odd they went after Criterion.

NEO0MJ

I don't know. Maybe they do, maybe they don't.
It was a mere suggestion. Sadly, Amusement Vision (the team behind GX) died a year after the game was released but like I said, SEGA and Nintendo have a strong relationship so it seems logic to trust them once again an IP they're already familiar with.

Didn't some of its members form the Yakuza team?

Roo

Didn't some of its members form the Yakuza team?

Yup.
Toshihiro Nagoshi moved to the new R&D studio with members from Amusement Vision and Smilebit iirc

Can't remember if it was before or after SEGA'S restructuring tho.

Christian

I've never played an f zero. How do they stack up in terms of quality? Does it go GX, 64, Snes? I know nothing about the GBA games.

F-Zero GX is pretty much a perfect game. One of the few games where I feel comfortable saying, objectively, it's practically flawless. It's that good. So much content, challenging, beautiful, plays like a dream. As much as I'd love to see the series continue, I can't imagine anyone ever creating something better.

F-Zero GX is pretty much a perfect game. One of the few games where I feel comfortable saying, objectively, it's practically flawless. It's that good. So much content, challenging, beautiful, plays like a dream. As much as I'd love to see the series continue, I can't imagine anyone ever creating something better.
This is pretty true. The next F-Zero has so much to live up to after GX that I think it'll never meet expectations.

Also: Criterion. Damn. I can't believe this didn't happen. Loved their pre-Paradise Burnouts.

Ezalc

MOTHERFUCK. This is heartbreaking

Seems there are other devs who would love to work on it.

imagezibqn.jpg

Donkey shoooooooooooooooowwwww!

I have to agree with this though. All it really needs is great online features. Aside from that it really is perfection. Though I'm always open to seeing people try and top it.

This would work greatly, really. Never actually came out to my mind given how much isolated from gaming community Nintendo is.

Great initiative from NoE. Too bad this actually didn't happened. But... even if actually happened, aware of how little advertising effort Nintendo puts into their partnership deals, like Wonderful 101, Devil's Third, The Last Story, Pandora's Tower and even, F-Zero GX, I doubt they would dedicate themselves to advertise a Criterion made F-Zero.

So its not fun to do someone else Ip unless it's EAs ips?
I honestly understand this reasoning to some level. As an EA studio they were allowed to do basically whatever they wanted with EA's "not-so-selling" IPs, but would be heavily monitored by Nintendo. Now I personally think that EA's racing IPs are relatively mundane and it would still be more fun to work at F-Zero, but hey, N4S sells -> there's audience for N4S -> there is a good probability these particular devs actually like this sort of game.

I honestly understand this reasoning to some level. As an EA studio they were allowed to do basically whatever they wanted with EA's "not-so-selling" IPs, but would be heavily monitored by Nintendo. Now I personally think that EA's racing IPs are relatively mundane and it would still be more fun to work at F-Zero, but hey, N4S sells -> there's audience for N4S -> there is a good probability these particular devs actually like this sort of game.

In what gamer's fantasy world is a crazy futuristic battle racer less fun to make than a live action urban, modern day street racer?

Oregano

This would work greatly, really. Never actually came out to my mind given how much isolated from gaming community Nintendo is.

Great initiative from NoE. Too bad this actually didn't happened. But... even if actually happened, aware of how little advertising effort Nintendo puts into their partnership deals, like Wonderful 101, Devil's Third, The Last Story, Pandora's Tower and even, F-Zero GX, I doubt they would dedicate themselves to advertise a Criterion made F-Zero.

Or how little they advertised Metroid: Other M, Hyrule Warriors and Super Smash Bros 4...

Lunar15

I don't think anyone should be upset with his answer. It's honest.

We'll get another F-Zero one day. It's just a question of whether or not it can live up to the expectations.

Madao

it's either a weird coincidence or just plain bad luck but it's the second time F-Zero has got "we don't like to work on other's IPs" type comments from a dev.

the FAST Racing devs said something similar when asked about making an F-Zero game (in their case it was "we want to make our own IP and not be known for an existing IP")

how come the people at Namco didn't refuse SSB4 or the people at Koei Tecmo didn't refuse Hyrule Warriors?

easy answer: money. JUST BE STRAIGHT AND SAY YOU DON'T WANT TO MAKE F-ZERO BECAUSE IT DOESN'T SELL!

I don't know why but I find the Vauxhall only racer hilarious. Something about it seems absurd.

Lol, Froza is "a bullet?" Okay... And you work on NFS now. Okay... Have fun with your little Need for Speed games. Let me know when you're going to make a relevant sequal to Underground 2.
I think this is relevant as to why it was a bullet as it dates the Forza project.

Pandy

Seems there are other devs who would love to work on it.

imagezibqn.jpg

lol. They were literally the first studio I thought of for this (although Criterion of old would have been nice). I hope Nintendo is paying attention.

For those talking about Sega.
Amusement Vision, the Sega division that handled F-Zero GX, as well as the good Super Monkey Ball games and a bunch of other nice games, is now defunct, so unfortunately Nintendo would have no reason to go back to Sega for a sequel.

jonnyp

Criterion made the best arcade racer in the Burnout series and now they've been relegated to EA IP regurgitation fodder.

Just sad and I feel for Alex and his team.

Xun

Criterion made the best arcade racer in the Burnout series and now they've been relegated to EA IP regurgitation fodder.

Just sad and I feel for Alex and his team.
They were a truly phenomenal team.

Burnout 2 was perfection.

pulsemyne

Someone should retweet that sumo digital reply to Nintendo themselves. Maybe someone there would possibly take some notice.
Actually who am I kidding, they won't.

Lol, Froza is "a bullet?" Okay... And you work on NFS now. Okay... Have fun with your little Need for Speed games. Let me know when you're going to make a relevant sequal to Underground 2.

He comes off as kind of a jerk about it. Sure working on another IP isn't always the best thing but being offered to take on the next game after the revered F-Zero GX speaks highly of your studio at least.

Besides, it's not like Criterion invented NFS...

I agree. If Criterion were shackled to a megacorporation like Nintendo then they wouldn't have been able to pursue fantastic original IP like the upcoming Need For Speed 21.

The only people coming off as jerks are you guys. A very talented dev had no interest whatsoever in working on your favourite franchises and you decided to have a cry because HOW DARE HE?! He should be grateful oh mighty and powerful Nintendo/Microsoft even deemed him worthy!

And the best part is that you're trying to use NFS against him, as if:
a) He wanted to ditch his franchise and work on NFS (he clearly didn't).
b) Criterion still works on that franchise anymore (they aren't, Ghost Games do, Criterion's working on a new IP).
c) Alex Ward even works at Criterion anymore (he quit 2 years ago).

But keep going please, it's funny.

Darryl

Banned
it's either a weird coincidence or just plain bad luck but it's the second time F-Zero has got "we don't like to work on other's IPs" type comments from a dev.

the FAST Racing devs said something similar when asked about making an F-Zero game (in their case it was "we want to make our own IP and not be known for an existing IP")

how come the people at Namco didn't refuse SSB4 or the people at Koei Tecmo didn't refuse Hyrule Warriors?

easy answer: money. JUST BE STRAIGHT AND SAY YOU DON'T WANT TO MAKE F-ZERO BECAUSE IT DOESN'T SELL!

The game could do a killing if they made it F2P. And made it hard as nails. It's not a $60 console game anymore but it could still get good audiences with the right approach.

Sendou

The game could do a killing if they made it F2P. And made it hard as nails. It's not a $60 console game anymore but it could still get good audiences with the right approach.

Lmao I can already visualize the "F-Zero U announced (F2P)" thread. Would be comedic gold.

Pizza

Lmao I can already visualize the "F-Zero U announced (F2P)" thread. Would be comedic gold.

You know? F-Zero with like five or six racers and two cups with the rest being dlc could be rad as hell. Free to start, and you can have as much as you want.

Suddenly tons of people own f-Zero and know it exists

Top Bottom