• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No local split screen for Halo 5 at all? Campaign or MP...

Yep. People want to complain about something. Game development is trade offs.They went with the one they thought was the most important.

I'd even bet if there was a poll, and people answered honestly, most of them in here wouldn't even own an Xbox One or even cared about buying H5. Just coming in to say this is better than that instead of talking about the topic. lol

Man i miss xbox365.com

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Yep. People want to complain about something. Game development is trade offs.They went with the one they thought was the most important.

They thought wrong.

*puts on tinfoil hat*

When Halo 5 was introduced with Master Chief in a space poncho, the only thing that was really announced was that it would be 60fps. It was kind of a weird thing to announce as we hadn't seen one piece of gameplay footage or even a screenshot, but since it's reveal that's what was known.

It wouldn't surprise me if that came straight from MS, who then told 343 to get on the ball and make it happen by any means necessary. That's probably why 343 tied the engine to the 60fps framerate...it's much easier to code it that way (not to get to 60, but to assume that the game is always 60), but with significant downsides.

So I wonder who's fault this really is. I think this is a compromise across the board...MS doesn't want their flagship shooter to go anywhere south of 1080p (?) and 60fps, and 343 has to ship a game soon after dealing with the mess of the Master Chief collection.

I really wonder how this game is going to turn out.

Why not allow split screen with 30fps? I think it has been done before in a game but I can't recall which one.

They tied the engine to 60fps, meaning if it dips below that the entire simulation slows down instead of getting choppy.

Kolx

Why not allow split screen with 30fps? I think it has been done before in a game but I can't recall which one.

Exile20

FPS or just any game?

MK8 is 60 fps in 1 and 2 player local/online
30 fps in 3 and 4 player local.

I wonder how people would react if Nintendo took out local for higher graphics and 60 fps.

Is couch co-op really a thing anymore? I understand that some people still like/want it, but isn't that a minority at this point?

I wouldn't want a dev to waste time including a feature for a small number of people, instead I'd hope they'd put those resources elsewhere,

it can't be a thing if no games support it.

All XBone games have the same restriction on LAN, as far as I can tell:

At least one of the XBones in the LAN setup needs a connection to Live.

The actual game is still played over LAN. Halo MCC works this way and it's been used for a number of tournaments so far. I would think Gears Ultimate will have the same restriction.

It's a requirement at the console level, not the game level.

So they added always online DRM to LAN. Brilliant.

Is couch co-op really a thing anymore? I understand that some people still like/want it, but isn't that a minority at this point?

I wouldn't want a dev to waste time including a feature for a small number of people, instead I'd hope they'd put those resources elsewhere,

Yes, it's still absolutely a thing if you have friends who come over or have family members you play with. Halo has always been a big deal in my house because the campaign could be done w ith friends.

Yeah Bungie forgot to leave instructions on how to make a Halo game. 343 have no fucking clue of what they are doing. When not if Halo really comes crashing down they will be known as "that studio that killed Halo" nothing more. They should have just made a new IP instead of riding on Bungies coattails.

I dont get why they cant just split the 60fps by 4 that will give each screen 15fps and make it whenever its single player they get the full fps it should be so freaking easy to do what iam entitl.......ASKING FOR!

They thought wrong.

*puts on tinfoil hat*

When Halo 5 was introduced with Master Chief in a space poncho, the only thing that was really announced was that it would be 60fps. It was kind of a weird thing to announce as we hadn't seen one piece of gameplay footage or even a screenshot, but since it's reveal that's what was known.

It wouldn't surprise me if that came straight from MS, who then told 343 to get on the ball and make it happen by any means necessary. That's probably why 343 tied the engine to the 60fps framerate...it's much easier to code it that way (not to get to 60, but to assume that the game is always 60), but with significant downsides.

So I wonder who's fault this really is. I think this is a compromise across the board...MS doesn't want their flagship shooter to go anywhere south of 1080p (?) and 60fps, and 343 has to ship a game soon after dealing with the mess of the Master Chief collection.

I really wonder how this game is going to turn out.

I think it will have a dynamic resolution of that 1080pr so they can hit that 60fps marketing. Similar to Advance Warfare's situation with their 1080pr.

Would be intersting to see/play a new Halo campaign game made in 60fps from the get-go though.

methodman

Banned
Yes, it's still absolutely a thing if you have friends who come over or have family members you play with. Halo has always been a big deal in my house because the campaign could be done w ith friends.
We play 6 player local fifa on my Xbox one (and 8 player smash and 4 player Mario kart and 4 player Mario world 3d, and 5 player Nintendo land, etc). We still play 4 player local online MCC but I'm really disappointed in 343 for this decision. Will not be buying halo 5.

Looks like a lot of you don't play games with friends, unless you're on XBL. I still do.

Sephzilla

No split screen at all?

9pisg0V.gif

Come the hell on, 343. Just put the game in 30FPS mode for split screen and let us take a performance hit. It's not like the franchise wasn't 30FPS for most of its lifetime.

Madness

Yeah Bungie forgot to leave instructions on how to make a Halo game. 343 have no fucking clue of what they are doing. When not if Halo really comes crashing down they will be known as "that studio that killed Halo" nothing more. They should have just made a new IP instead of riding on Bungies coattails.

Posts like this is why I almost didn't make the thread. Come on. The game is shaping up to be the best campaign and multiplayer in a long time. I just wanted frank discussion not unwarranted insults. Seems like it's most likely a hardware issue, just disappointing because coop campaign is one thing, but split screen multiplayer is big.

For me personally split screen is how I played CE where we'd all get together at someone's house or use LAN at tournaments but by Halo 2 most of my playing was Xbox Live. By Halo 3, there was little to no split screen.

I only wanted to empathize with Halo fans who utilize split screen. Very easy for me to say, I play alone over xbl, give me 60fps over expense of others.

I'm guessing Bungie would have dropped local co-op too. See Destiny.

Posts like this is why I almost didn't make the thread. Come on. The game is shaping up to be the best campaign and multiplayer in a long time. I just wanted frank discussion not unwarranted insults. Seems like it's most likely a hardware issue, just disappointing because coop campaign is one thing, but split screen multiplayer is big.

For me personally split screen is how I played CE where we'd all get together at someone's house or use LAN at tournaments but by Halo 2 most of my playing was Xbox Live. By Halo 3, there was little to no split screen.

I only wanted to empathize with Halo fans who utilize split screen. Very easy for me to say, I play alone over xbl, give me 60fps over expense of others.

What expense of others? If the split screen is the only mode at 30fps, then you will never notice it.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Does anyone play splitscreen expecting identical performance and graphics? I've always been well aware of the compromise and I've never cared because playing with friends is too fun.

If it could be done before, there's no reason it can't be done now. Just be blunt and say your data showed not enough people were using it so it wouldn't give an ROI.

I've wanted so bad for Halo 5 to be my reason to buy an Xbox One but that's just not gonna happen now. Splitscreen was a good 50% of my time spent in Halo multiplayer.

How do you play video games at a friend's house? Bust out multiple TVs and consoles? lol

Couch co-op for Halo is outdated not couch co-op itself. I consider FPS couch co-op like having an ashtray/lighter in a car. 20 years ago you better of had that feature, but now only a few people really need it

How do you play video games at a friend's house? Bust out multiple TVs and consoles? lol

Maybe when he goes over to his friends house it's to drink with fine women and not play video games?

Then hit up Market St in downtown Denver or even Blake St for Beta to get the party started? Not everyone who visit's a friend goes over to play video games. Just saying. lol

Yea the people who are saying Couch co-op is a legacy feature need to pull their heads in. Couch Co-Op literally sold the Xbox OG. If the game can't do 60FPS then they need to downgrade the textures.

Seriously would prefer to have Halo 2 graphics for Halo 5 than no couch co-op, the literal entire reason I and so many other people value Halo is because we love to play it together.

This is actually horrendous.
I literally only play Halo splitscreen. That's it. The same goes for most of my friends. To us, splitscreen is Halo. Without it, this is a different game and not one we're interested in.

I'm shocked people are defending this.

GavinGT

Banned
Couch co-op for Halo is outdated not couch co-op itself. I consider FPS couch co-op like having an ashtray/lighter in a car. 20 years ago you better of had that feature, but now only a few people really need it

I still see a ton of people playing split-screen in Halo MCC.

I'm so confused, so do people who never use split screen just never play any video games anymore when people come over to your house?

Kolx

FPS or just any game?

MK8 is 60 fps in 1 and 2 player local/online
30 fps in 3 and 4 player local.

I wonder how people would react if Nintendo took out local for higher graphics and 60 fps.

No it wasn't an FPS, but I can't see the difference, If it can be done on a game then it can done on another with proper optimization.

They tied the engine to 60fps, meaning if it dips below that the entire simulation slows down instead of getting choppy.

Shouldn't they have modified the engine from the start to work on both since they know that split screen is a very important feature in Halo games? at least if fps is not going to work then lower the resolution to like 720p and allow 2 players split screen.

BokehKing

Banned
Good. I don't want them to waste time on a mode most people won't touch.
Huh? I think you underestimate the appeal of split screen greatly. This thread might as well be a case for split screen in general and not a 343/halo bashing. But because it was a staple of the series for so long, it's a big deal

Kibbles

Someone above said the same. I should've asked for a source on it. Hasn't been confirmed. If so, that would be bullshit.

I mean, it HAS to have LAN support. I just has to. Right?
MCC doesn't so I wouldn't be surprised.

I know people are trying to say it's system level but surely they can get them to fix that like JFC.

Ironhorse

Neo Member
It is such a pity that they are removing local splitscreen multiplayer. It has been a family tradition of mine where I invite my friends over once a month over pizza and beer, and Halo splitscreen multiplayer has been a staple for us for years. Just recently, we played MCC collection, and it was an absolute blast. I am more than happy if they choose to drop the framerate to 30 fps (for local splitscreen) in order to allow the inclusion of local multiplayer.

I still see a ton of people playing split-screen in Halo MCC.

Of course because the older games worked well with it. I can still play Halo 1 and 2 split screen with friends and have a good time. By the time Halo 3 came around it just wasnt fun anymore for me and Halo Reach/4 it was garbage

Maybe when he goes over to his friends house it's to drink with fine women and not play video games?

Then hit up Market St in downtown Denver or even Blake St for Beta to get the party started? Not everyone who visit's a friend goes over to play video games. Just saying. lol

You sound like a cool dude.

farisr

Yup, splitscreen TOTALLY isn't a thing anymore guys. People who bring it up were never interested in the game nor own an xbox one in the first place.

smh

Seriously, we get it, you're really looking forward to the game folks, but coming up with shit like this makes you guys seem like corporate apologists.

There's a reason why some devs are emphasizing including splitscreen in there games now. It's still a wanted and used feature.

I had already written this game off as a one time playthrough for the campaign because of lack of local co-op, if there isn't even 2p splitscreen for online, they've pretty much made my decision for me. I can pretty much skip multiplayer altogether and sell the game right after finishing the campaign and can make back most if not all my money due to getting it cheap at launch day.

KORNdoggy

it just wasnt fun anymore for me

and that right there is the problem...for you it might have been. but for a shit ton of other people, myself included. couch co-op is still a feature we look out for. becasue it's hardly practical buying 2 TV's, 2 copies of the game, 2 consoles and 2 subscriptions to XBLgold just so we can play together with our boyfriends/girlfriends/wives/husbands/brothers/sisters/friends...

Just lol at the "split screen is so 200x" crowd. Split screen Halo is a damn franchise staple. Can't even count the number of times I've asked or been asked, even recently, "hey want to come over and play some Halo?"

Guess there's still NBA 2K. What a shame.

Jito

Banned

And maybe some people do go over to their friends houses to play games? What kinda response is this, it's like your judging him for playing games with his friends. Sorry not everyone is out parting on Market St in downtown Denver...?

BokehKing

Banned
Posts like this is why I almost didn't make the thread. Come on. The game is shaping up to be the best campaign
And people want to continue the story with their friends they been playing with for the past few iterations.

I'm sure that stinkles guy will be in soon to say "well neogaf gon neogaf" and everyone will praise him.

What I think happened? There was this narrative that took off that ps4 was the 1080p/60fps beast of a console. Remember that awhile back "well at least ps4 hits 60 fps" blah blah blah. They started to focus on making that and 1080p a priority, and because of that, features got cut, but it's OK, because they're giving away a week of live so your buddy you been playing with the last 10 years can play it anywhere but your couch

You should have just posted this gif instead:

giphy.gif

I'm so confused, so do people who never use split screen just never play any video games anymore when people come over to your house?[/]QUOTE]

No, because we do other social things like go to a park, out to eat, bbq, play some sports, visit a landmark, get a drink, take a road trip, gamble, go to a lake, go to some store, and the list can go on and on.

Must be an age thing perhaps. I see gaming as relaxation and me time, lol, and i play with friends online whenever they are. Had Xbox Live for over 9 years now.

Pizza

I'd even bet if there was a poll, and people answered honestly, most of them in here wouldn't even own an Xbox One or even cared about buying H5. Just coming in to say this is better than that instead of talking about the topic. lol

Man i miss xbox365.com

I can't speak for others, but I was about to buy an Xbox one for halo until all this came up.

My friends and I all mainly play Nintendo stuff, I'm the "halo guy" and another of my friends is the "PlayStation guy"

We were all going to split screen through the whole series just like the good ole days, but literally none of my friends own an Xbox one or have any desire to buy one, and I'm totally not going to buy one if the general trend it no split screen and the series that usually forces my hand into paying for live/a console drops it.

/shrug. I know I'm in the minority but it's a huge bummer for my situation

And maybe some people do go over to their friends houses to play games? What kinda response is this, it's like your judging him for playing games with his friends. Sorry not everyone is out parting on Market St in downtown Denver...?

It's the exact same thing he said but from the other side of the coin. *GASP!*

Well I hope it does. I still have family members that don't have Xbox Ones to play this with so local coop when they come over on the weekends would be good. It's not required for me personally too much, but the option for that situation only would be nice.

Pompadour

This is a bummer. I don't know if I want to buy a 2nd XB1, copy of Halo 5, and another Gold sub just so my fiancée and I can play online with our friends.

Jito

Banned
It's the exact same thing he said but from the other side of the coin. *GASP!*

No it's not.

No, because we do other social things like go to a park, out to eat, bbq, play some sports, visit a landmark, get a drink, take a road trip, gamble, go to a lake, go to some store, and the list can go on and on.

Must be an age thing perhaps. I see gaming as relaxation and me time, lol, and i play with friends online whenever they are. Had Xbox Live for over 9 years now.

And how would you explain this? Just you being a jerk. Get over it, some people play games with their friends and you don't, no need to judge.

Top Bottom