• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No local split screen for Halo 5 at all? Campaign or MP...

Competent developers don't do this. I can't believe 343i would actually do this (assuming this is true).

I wouldn't really take Chubigan's comments on the engine as anything serious. We have no actual tech breakdown and he's making it sound like someone is to be blamed for choosing to go for 60fps ... which is as hilarious as it is sad.

I can't speak for others, but I was about to buy an Xbox one for halo until all this came up.

My friends and I all mainly play Nintendo stuff, I'm the "halo guy" and another of my friends is the "PlayStation guy"

We were all going to split screen through the whole series just like the good ole days, but literally none of my friends own an Xbox one or have any desire to buy one, and I'm totally not going to buy one if the general trend it no split screen and the series that usually forces my hand into paying for live/a console drops it.

/shrug. I know I'm in the minority but it's a huge bummer for my situation

Nah i do feel your pain. This reminds me of the goldeye days when i would go over t my friends house to play for hours. It was so fun. Man i miss those days where all i could worry about was video games. :( ... rip childhood.

lucky you though, a plethora of options to play all the games because you and your friends have every system available!

BokehKing

Banned
Regardless, people love split screen, let's not forget the younger generation of gamers as well, not just us adults. This is why people celebrated when it was announced for games like COD, battlefront... That's part of why borderlands was so huge.

Doran902

I'm okay with it, Halo 4 had really poor splitscreen performance anyway. Me and my brother had fps drops below 10 in some sections of the campaign and some mp maps.

Fuck 343I, why didn't you just modify your engine to work with 30 fps or lower from the start a lot of 60 fps games can do it, why you can't?

No it's not.

And how would you explain this? Just you being a jerk. Get over it, some people play games with their friends and you don't, no need to judge.

He judged so i gave him his own medicine. You defending him sounds like i struck a chord with you too. That sucks for you i guess?

I guess if you play video games at people's houses your opinion is that peopel who dont are stupid and splitscreen should be default. If i have another viewpoint on how gaming is for other people, im judging and being a jerk. LOL okay i get it. I understand how you feel now. Not sorry though. lol ignore time. it's that easy folks!

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed

DOG3NZAKA

Banned
Considering MS seem to be pushing Halo 5 on all fronts it will have to, although AW has no LAN either on XB1.

There definitely won't be system link, Master Chief Collection didn't have that either. Multiplayer is going to be Always Online.

I believe halo 5 is dedicated servers only, with no p2p fallback, so LAN wouldn't be possible.

This is how the current Halo Championship Series tournament in Halo MCC is working as far as I know. No System Link or LAN support in that game either.

Pretty sure it has LAN, they are trying to make Halo relevant again to the people who lost interest, they want it to be a major e-sport again for non halo fans.

All XBone games have the same restriction on LAN, as far as I can tell:

At least one of the XBones in the LAN setup needs a connection to Live.

The actual game is still played over LAN. Halo MCC works this way and it's been used for a number of tournaments so far. I would think Gears Ultimate will have the same restriction.

It's a requirement at the console level, not the game level.

[nvm - edited because the comment above mine was better explained!]

Very strange. You would think that since they are putting.g so much effort towards the competitive side and esports, that it would have LAN support.

343 should take notes from The Coalition. LAN support and spectator mode in Gears Ultimate. Halo gets no respect. Shameful.

Edit.

I own the MCC and didn't even realize it didn't have LAN support.

Jito

Banned
He judged so i gave him his own medicine. You defending him sounds like i struck a chord with you too. That sucks for you i guess?

I guess if you play video games at people's houses your opinion is that peopel who dont are stupid and splitscreen should be default. If i have another viewpoint on how gaming is for other people, im judging and being a jerk. LOL okay i get it. I understand how you feel now. Not sorry though. lol ignore time. it's that easy folks!

Eh not worth the time then if you're gona roll over like that.

You should have just posted this gif instead:

giphy.gif

You had it right before, should have just left it at that.

#Bringbacksplitscreen.

Yup, splitscreen TOTALLY isn't a thing anymore guys. People who bring it up were never interested in the game nor own an xbox one in the first place.

smh

Seriously, we get it, you're really looking forward to the game folks, but coming up with shit like this makes you guys seem like corporate apologists.

There's a reason why some devs are emphasizing including splitscreen in there games now. It's still a wanted and used feature.

I had already written this game off as a one time playthrough for the campaign because of lack of local co-op, if there isn't even 2p splitscreen for online, they've pretty much made my decision for me. I can pretty much skip multiplayer altogether and sell the game right after finishing the campaign and can make back most if not all my money due to getting it cheap at launch day.
Seriously, not even touching the friends issue, it's like families apparently don't exist anymore. Y'know, siblings, significant others, parents/children playing togehter? But nah, guess none of that exists anymore in 2015 and instead if you happen to have one of these mystical things called a family, it makes much more sense to buy multiple Xbox Ones and being player "together" in completely different rooms from each other.

I mean, I get the importance of 60 FPS. That's wonderful. But why is it so important that they literally designed the engine for the game to be able to work with nothing other than 60 FPS, completely writing splitscreen co-op off from the very beginning? Is anything actually gained by using such a rigid engine? I just don't get it.

"Game doesn't have X feature? Failure! Boycott!"

343 is on thin ice as it is. I think a lot if us are waiting to see if they can do halo right by this one.

Personally halo 4 was decent, but we had a boat load of issues with the mcc. Hopefully they can prove themselves.

Bsigg12

If they couldn't deliver on a splitscreen experience that maintains performance, I can understand why they dropped it. To those saying drop it to 30, no. 60 fps is one of the best things to happen to Halo in both campaign and multiplayer.

Pillville

Of course because the older games worked well with it. I can still play Halo 1 and 2 split screen with friends and have a good time. By the time Halo 3 came around it just wasnt fun anymore for me and Halo Reach/4 it was garbage

I'm okay with it, Halo 4 had really poor splitscreen performance anyway. Me and my brother had fps drops below 10 in some sections of the campaign and some mp maps.

If they couldn't deliver on a splitscreen experience that maintains performance, I can understand why they dropped it. To those saying drop it to 30, no. 60 fps is one of the best things to happen to Halo in both campaign and multiplayer.

Attention developers:
If you want to slowly remove a feature, just make it suck in one game, then in the next they will thank you for removing it all together.

No, because we do other social things like go to a park, out to eat, bbq, play some sports, visit a landmark, get a drink, take a road trip, gamble, go to a lake, go to some store, and the list can go on and on.

Must be an age thing perhaps. I see gaming as relaxation and me time, lol, and i play with friends online whenever they are. Had Xbox Live for over 9 years now.

Yeah, I get that. Video games arent the only things you can do with friends lol. For me I see video games as the defacto 'winding down' thing to do after we already went to see a movie or did whatever whenever friends come over for a sleep over. It's like the equivalent of watching a movie or playing a board game. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

TheDanger

Banned

well it would only be 30 fps for split screen, Mario Kart 8 also solves it this way, 1-2 player is 60 fps, 3-4 player splitscreen is 30 fps.

Sucks for people who still play split screen with friends/family. I can understand that 343i want a 60fps experience across all parts of the game but I hope the frame rate holds up and is pretty close to locked.

Regardless, people love split screen, let's not forget the younger generation of gamers as well, not just us adults. This is why people celebrated when it was announced for games like COD, battlefront... That's part of why borderlands was so huge.

From my experience of watching the younger generation of kids playing video games;

Phone
Tab
PC
(every game is called an APP to them, Lol. "my favorite app is DyingLight".. no joke that was in their yearbook)

All connected with eachother via online play. I haven't seen many instances where kids are playing co-op couch with a console. More so there on a tab playing some free to play game, or taking turns with whatever they have on. Nothing too hardcore like an FPS that requires the skillset of twitch hand eye coordination in order to sucessfully complete the level.

That's just what i've seen though, and i know there are other instances where kids are all about sitting together around the same tv all wanting to play at the same time.

ethomaz

Banned
About the last part... which Halo were 60fps? If I'm not mistaken it was never a big deal for Halo success.

Edit - I like and prefer 60fps... I'm just asking because from what I remember Halo wasn't a 60fps franchise... I can be wrong too.

KORNdoggy

then keep 60 for solo campaign and MP. make it 30 for split screen co-op campaign. i can SORT OF understand the lack of it in MP, you couldn't have people playing at 30fps split screen against full screen 60fps players. but there really is NO excuse for it's absence in the campaign. drop it to 30 FPS and let us play the story together.

hodgy100

its called a trade off. you can have split screen 30fps and one screen 60fps. i imagine most would be ok with this.

then keep 60 for solo campaign and MP. make it 30 for split screen co-op campaign. i can SORT OF understand the lack of it in MP, you couldn't have people playing at 30fps split screen against full screen 60fps players. but there really is NO excuse for it's absence in the campaign. drop it to 30 FPS and let us play the story together.

it can still be done for online MP, yes the split screen players will be at a disadvantage, but that's their choice. if they want to play uber competitively then they can play without split screen, being as its a feature that's usually for fun over competitiveness anyway.

Bsigg12

About the last part... which Halo were 60fps? If I'm not mistaken it was never a big deal for Halo success.

Edit - I like and prefer 60fps... I'm just asking because from what I remember Halo wasn't a 60fps franchise... I can be wrong too.

Referring to the bumps made to each game in MCC as well as the Halo 5 Arena Beta earlier this year.

MCC is 60fps and I agree with him. it would be very hard to go back to 30. It's just a better experience.

Yeah, I get that. Video games arent the only things you can do with friends lol. I for me I see video games as the defacto 'winding down' thing to do after we already went to see a movie or did whatever whenever friends come over for a sleep over. It's like the equivalent of watching a movie or playing a board game. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Bolded for my agreement. Without the friends sleeping over part, or coming over after because im too tired to deal with them anymore. lol

SPCTRE

Oh well, no couch co-op with the wife, no buy. Not really that excited about Halo anymore anyway, will be the first one I don't pick up.

We'll be fine, we have enough games that support that feature.

JaggedSac

Stinks for those who wanted to play it that way.

They were always at a disadvantage anyway. Might as well drop the frames to 30 to accommodate. Probably would have been a pain in the ass to make happen though.

Oh well, no couch co-op with the wife, no buy. Not really that excited about Halo anymore anyway, will be the first one I don't pick up.

We'll be fine, we have enough games that support that feature.

Can't play splitscreen with my wife at all? She's going to be so pissed. We loved playing MCC online together

Its awesome that your wives play video games with you. Mine couldn't care less. Which maybe a good thing at times.

Doran902

Attention developers:
If you want to slowly remove a feature, just make it suck in one game, then in the next they will thank you for removing it all together.

I'm not thanking them for removing it I just know how rediculously hard it is to meet peoples expectations on a visual and technical level and also render it multiple times without losing performance. The game would likely have to be derez'd in order for it to run in splitscreen in its current state.

Bsigg12

its called a trade off. you can have split screen 30fps and one screen 60fps. i imagine most would be ok with this.

it can still be done for online MP, yes the split screen players will be at a disadvantage, but that's their choice. if they want to play uber competitively then they can play without split screen, being as its a feature that's usually for fun over competitiveness anyway.

We don't know what the performance is like. I can't possibly see them offering anything 30fps for Halo 5 because of them trumpeting 60fps since the game was announced. Splitscreen would then take a huge hit in graphical quality just to maintain that and I can't see that being something 343 would want to give up either.

I get why people are frustrated by it, Halo was the splitscreen boss beginning all the way back in 2001. It sucks for people who still used it.

Pillville

I just know how rediculously hard it is to meet peoples expectations on a visual and technical level and also render it multiple times without losing performance.

It almost makes you wish we had new, more powerful consoles than the old games had, huh?

I guess they had to sacrifice fun for frames.

Haruko

Very strange. You would think that since they are putting.g so much effort towards the competitive side and esports, that it would have LAN support.

343 should take notes from The Coalition. LAN support and spectator mode in Gears Ultimate. Halo gets no respect. Shameful.

Edit.

I own the MCC and didn't even realize it didn't have LAN support.

I would bet LAN play on Gears Ultimate will work the exact same way, since this is at the console level. It's annoying, but obviously workable (see: Halo Championship Series so far)

It's an artifact from the original digital DRM/check-in plans for the Xbox One.

Also, Halo 5 MP will have Spectator Mode as well.

jesus...just how OLD are you? lol :p

I felt like i've aged 10 years these past 5 =/ ...

From hosting party events and having 3 day marathon after-parties to being in bed by 830pm because i have to be up for wok at 520AM and my toddler wears me out haha.

23-28 is one hell of a rollercoaster LOL >_<

Pop

its 2015, mass majority dont give a shit about split screen no more

Are you so sure about that? Big companies making big games are still adding that feature.

Anyways, split screen is what helped Halo succeed. It should be a given.

Akronis

I wouldn't really take Chubigan's comments on the engine as anything serious. We have no actual tech breakdown and he's making it sound like someone is to be blamed for choosing to go for 60fps ... which is as hilarious as it is sad.

Yea I don't actually think this is true. 343i isn't stupid.

You guys all realize that having split screen drastically cuts performance. It takes almost (but not quite) double the performance for split screen.

If Halo 5 ends up being 1080p (please god) and 60fps you would be playing split screen at 720p/30fps just for them to have it implemented.

If you go from one to the other you will absolutely loath playing splitscreen. We all have fond memories playing Halo 1 or 2 online with four player splitscreen but if you go back and try to see how that runs now, you would find it nigh unplayable. It seriously runs under 20fps. Yeah that's a lot of fun. In fact every Halo that has four player splitscreen has this problem.

Every generation as devs are trying to push the hardware it gets harder and harder to do as tech becomes much more complicated. Current market trends buck towards having tons of features, 1080p60fps gameplay, and high visual fidelity. Devs are almost forced to try to maximize those things.

Do you really want them to compromise other parts of the Halo 5 experience because you might play through campaign once or twice with another person? I certainly don't. In this day and age where just about everyone that wants to play Halo 5 already has their own Xbox One or is going to buy one, and because of the Xbox Live ecosystem they will play with their friends online.

I don't want 343i to compromise the game experience for a feature hardly anyone uses anymore and if they do they only use once or twice. I want the best Halo 5 experience. If that makes me selfish than so be it.

Karak

Is couch co-op really a thing anymore? I understand that some people still like/want it, but isn't that a minority at this point?

I wouldn't want a dev to waste time including a feature for a small number of people, instead I'd hope they'd put those resources elsewhere,

Very much so. There are entire groups still dedicated to it, it still occurs at lan group/parties. That being said their new aim for excellent performance higher overall fidelity almost assured it wouldn't be included.

I'm questioning if I'm going to buy halo 5, I always play with my bro it appears 343I doesn't care I guess we're gonna have a mortal kombat and the one who survives is going to play halo 5 :/

Two of halo's competitors will have it though (COD & battlefront)
Times didn't change that much
That's kind of the thing. Everyone uses their anecdotal stories to say splitscreen isn't a thing anymore when mysteriously, a game like Battlefront goes out of its way to showcase it.
It's like pretending local coop never was a factor for the console versions of Minecraft or Diablo 3.

It's not a feature that I use often but it does get some use a couple times a year. Right now, I've been running through MCC co-op and and the fact that this won't be possible with future games bums me out.

Top Bottom