• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No local split screen for Halo 5 at all? Campaign or MP...

jiiikoo

Banned
I don't want 343i to compromise the game experience for a feature hardly anyone uses anymore and if they do they only use once or twice. I want the best Halo 5 experience. If that makes me selfish than so be it.

Would it really be that bad to give the option? No one is forcing you to use it, but there are people who would live with a poorer looking game to play with friends. How would that affect the life of someone who doesn't use the feature?

I would gladly live with that trade-off for co-op...

Kama_1082

Banned
343 is screwed either way.

They're getting raked over the coals for not including split screen co-op

They'd get raked over the coals during the DF GAF thread because of performance drops and probably be called lazy devs by armchair programmers.

Would it really be that bad to give the option? No one is forcing you to use it, but there are people who would live with a poorer looking game to play with friends. How would that affect the life of someone who doesn't use the feature?

I would gladly live with that trade-off for co-op...

It takes a ton of development time to implement. It already seems like they are racing to the finish to get the game completed on time. I'd rather 343i not have another MCC like situation even to the smallest degree.

Maybe they'll implement it post-launch.

343 is screwed either way.

They're getting raked over the coals for not including split screen co-op

They'd get raked over the coals during the DF GAF thread because of performance drops and probably be called lazy devs by armchair programmers.

Vocal groups aren't always the majority. It doesn't matter at all. It's a news headline and talked about for a few days and then forgotten about.

Honestly I do not care whether there is split-screen or not. As everyone I know has their own console, but there are a subset of people who would use it. They could have done like Gears of War did and reduce graphical effects when playing split-screen. I remember in either Gears 1 or 2 when playing MP on the Map Mansion, it was missing features such as the vines in the mansion interior when playing split-screen. They could have made that trade off, does suck for those who do still use local co-op and split-screen MP.

Garnox

Question then if it hasn't already been asked/answered?

If my brother has his own XBL account (and I my own) we can't log on and play on the same console? (Campaign or Multiplayer)

I thought true split-screen was considered one XBL user with a guest login?

I'm getting the notion that one would need two Xbones and two separate accounts to play together. Which is a shame because my brohams don't have another Xbone, but still have their Live accounts from their 360 days.

KORNdoggy

I'm not thanking them for removing it I just know how rediculously hard it is to meet peoples expectations on a visual and technical level and also render it multiple times without losing performance. The game would likely have to be derez'd in order for it to run in splitscreen in its current state.

well rumours suggest it's getting de-ressed to maintain even single screen 60fps so why not let it de-res for split-screen too. i'd even be ok with a 60fps/720p if it meant it was still an option.

there is no way a third party dev like DICE can make a game that looks better and has split screen...and yet an in-house first party dev like 343 can't do it. people keep saying about compromise, how some things needed to be dropped to maintain the 60fps vision. but that shouldn't be entire modes that where a staple to the franchise. it should be framerate (seeing as it was never an issue in any of the past halo games) and res if need be (720-900p)

You guys all realize that having split screen drastically cuts performance. It takes almost (but not quite) double the performance for split screen.

If Halo 5 ends up being 1080p (please god) and 60fps you would be playing split screen at 720p/30fps just for them to have it implemented.

If you go from one to the other you will absolutely loath playing splitscreen. We all have fond memories playing Halo 1 or 2 online with four player splitscreen but if you go back and try to see how that runs now, you would find it nigh unplayable. It seriously runs under 20fps. Yeah that's a lot of fun. In fact every Halo that has four player splitscreen has this problem.

Every generation as devs are trying to push the hardware it gets harder and harder to do as tech becomes much more complicated. Current market trends buck towards having tons of features, 1080p60fps gameplay, and high visual fidelity. Devs are almost forced to try to maximize those things.

Do you really want them to compromise other parts of the Halo 5 experience because you might play through campaign once or twice with another person? I certainly don't. In this day and age where just about everyone that wants to play Halo 5 already has their own Xbox One or is going to buy one, and because of the Xbox Live ecosystem they will play with their friends online.

I don't want 343i to compromise the game experience for a feature hardly anyone uses anymore and if they do they only use once or twice. I want the best Halo 5 experience. If that makes me selfish than so be it.

Always hilarious when posters try to justify shitty corporate decisions by telling you what you will and wont like.

Newsflash. Tons of people dont give two shits about resolution or frame rate. Most just want to open a beer with a friend and have fun.

Some of these posts makes it sound like these people really have no friends in real life that would play with them. In which case it sucks but hey dont take it out on the rest of us. :p

i could swear i read multiplayer DOES have 2 player splitscreen

edit:
https://mobile.twitter.com/JoshingtonState/status/545000766969114625

"@ambr8978 @quinndelhoyo @Brav @Halo we’ll have local split screen for 2 players in final."

Expectations were set for campaign not having split-screen during its recent blowout, but I was really holding on to that tweet from the beta period as unofficial confirmation that we'd at least get 2-player split-screen in Arena at launch. I hope we get some clarification (hopefully good news) soon.

Halo 4 split-screen online multiplayer was pretty unsteady, and I was critical of it, but I'd compromise for that option again over what might be happening now :/

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I understand people not particularly caring for split screen at all, but some of the mental gymnastics that go on, calling playing with friends in the same room 'so 2001' and such nonsense, i don't want to be apart of the future your espousing, where we all only play by ourselves isolated from each other outside of a headset if that.

Don't forget to buy Xbox live kids! Sheesh.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Always hilarious when posters try to justify shitty corporate decisions by telling you what you will and wont like.

Newsflash. Tons of people dont give two shits about resolution or frame rate. Most just want to open a beer with a friend and have fun.

Some of these posts makes it sound like these people really have no friends in real life that would play with them. In which case it sucks but hey dont take it out on the rest of us. :p
But shit comments like that are just going to make them even more happy that splitacreen isn't included, and they win in the end. To be fair though, it could very well be that you're being facetious with the aforementioned comment, as evidenced by the smiley face, but you never know these days. :(

KORNdoggy

I'll take 60FPS Halo, over split screen any day..Not even mad bruh. See you on xbox live friends!

you realise if the option was in there you wouldn't even have to make that choice right? you could have your 60fps solo experience, and we can have our couch co-op. since when was having options bad? people are weird.

It was a feature that I used less and less, so I'm not too disappointed though I completely understand those who are as split screen Halo is what got me into Halo in the first place.

I'm more miffed at the lack of firefight and campaign theatre (I believe the latter is the case). Features that the past games had but aren't returning for whatever reason.

KORNdoggy

I'm more miffed at the lack of firefight and campaign theatre (I believe the latter is the case). Features that the past games had but aren't returning for whatever reason.

becasue features and options don't matter as long as they maintain that 60fps vision!

singhr1

You're not in a position to call it a "shitty corporate decision" with no role in making the game.

It's always hilarious when people don't have a real argument and post fluff to try to debunk another person's input.

I understand people not particularly caring for split screen at all, but some of the mental gymnastics that go on, calling playing with friends in the same room 'so 2001' and such nonsense, i don't want to be apart of the future your espousing, where we all only play by ourselves isolated from each other outside of a headset if that.

Don't forget to buy Xbox live kids! Sheesh.

Your comment is confusing. I'd be safe to assume they are being sarcastic naming a random year? What future? This is the present, happening right now, in living real world scenarios. Are you from the past that came into the future to complain about the present hoping we would change our mind that we can't enjoy games to our preference?

Oh my... this is terminator isnt it? ....

Is couch co-op really a thing anymore? I understand that some people still like/want it, but isn't that a minority at this point?

It's not a majority. It's a very vocal minority.

It actually isn't a minority. The perception of this is skewed by the number of games that release with online multiplayer, but no local co-op support. It appears that couch co-op is a feature used by a minority of people but that actually isn't the case in games that support it.

If you actually look at games that have local co-op specific achievements/trophies, you will find that 40%-50% or more of people who play those games engage in local co-op. This is especially true for anything generally considered family friendly - like the LEGO games - but still holds up when you look at FPS games. Which, interestingly enough, is a higher percentage than the people who actually participate in online multiplayer (generally 30%-40% or less).

EDIT:
There are a number of reasons for the industry attempting to push users away from local multiplayer and into online mulitplayer. One of the biggest is the drive to establish an online community in order to maintain long-term sales and promote DLC. If you are playing with two people on a single console, I'm not selling you two copies of the map pack, two copies of the game, two XBL or PSN subscriptions, or two consoles. I'm actively losing money if you and your brother/father/wife/friend want to play together in the same game by offering you do so on a single console locally. So while it's a feature that obviously has a major audience, as a publisher/developer it is in my financial best interests to emphasize the online component and attempt to dissuade the market that couch co-op is a thing worth pursuing.

Pizza

local split screen seems to be going the way of the dodo bird

Which blows, why advertise that your console can support 8 controllers when you'll only ever use one?

And sure, let split screen run at 30 fps! People who want split screen would deal. Mario kart 8 is gorgeous in 60fps and completely fine in 30. Sure it's jarring as hell initially but you get over it in a few races' time.

A lot of you guys discussing frame rates seem like you wouldn't even use the feature, so why complain? 30fps is how I personally played games since childhood, I survived the 20fps of the N64, and I just played OOT, smelly frame rate and all.

If split screen had to be 30fps I'd be happy they got it in at all, problem with that is anything less than 60 these days is "unacceptable" so they'd rather be able to shout "the game runs at 60fps!" Into the wind and they'll gladly drop stuff to do so, it seems.

They *could* just tone down the graphics some, but then it wouldn't look good *enough* so they'd be fucked. It's a weird time in gaming when people would rather have something pretty looking over features like being able to play with a spouse/kid/roommate/friend

One day I'll pop in halos 1-4 to show my kid and then say "yeah we can't play anything past that since we need a second Xbox5 to do co-op"

BokehKing

Banned
If split screen had to be 30fps I'd be happy they got it in at all, problem with that is anything less than 60 these days is "unacceptable" so they'd rather be able to shout "the game runs at 60fps!" Into the wind and they'll gladly drop stuff to do so, it seems.
Thats what I hate, it doesn't have to be 60fps, it has to be fun. I rather 60 of course, but not the end of the world if it's not. I rather 1080p/locked 30fps

Shin-Ra

In december Josh Holmes said there would be splitscreen. He also confirmed 2-player local campaign Co-Op which we know is cut from the game informer article. It seems like they planned to have Splitscreen but have changed their mind.

Sources:

https://twitter.com/JoshingtonState/status/545000766969114625
"@ambr8978 @quinndelhoyo @Brav @Halo we’ll have local split screen for 2 players in final."

https://twitter.com/joshingtonstate/status/546126391201128448
"@ArtooFeva Halo 5: Guardians will feature four player co-op via LIVE or 2-player local co-op via split screen. More later..."
It looks like they're cutting features to finish on time.

Pandy

Agreed. One of the main reasons I'll almost certainly be picking up Battlefront, even if it ends up being a disappointment in other ways, is the split-screen feature, which will allow my FPS playing mate and I to play on one copy on my main TV. If it required two copies, we'd have to think much more carefully about whether we'd get our money's worth, and perhaps wait and pick up two cheaper second-hand copies months later.

We're actually equipped now with two PCs, two PS4s and two WiiUs for online play, but being able to simply and easily play in split-screen on the main TV is still a major selling point for us, and worth having on the back of the box.

They should give the option to play split screen 2 players running at 30 fps (open framerate).

Just like every other Halo game.

I think with the past Halo's, there wasn't a really loud vocal crowd that would see the light of day. So the one's bungie made were only able to recieve feedback from sales and the people who were in their community forums. That's my guess...

Today, one little mistake/decision in anything they code into the game will create headlines on all social fronts, kinda. For example faceoffs/perfomance analysis DF performs. Downgrade videos on youtube and anything else anyone can think of that a publisher/developer has been boo'd for.

They're under a microscrop and they already know they will get backlash for something when the game releases, regardless if they try to cover all the bases.
Heck even The Witcher 3 and Batman got backlash and they were rated very high!

Agreed. One of the main reasons I'll almost certainly be picking up Battlefront, even if it ends up being a disappointment in other ways, is the split-screen feature, which will allow my FPS playing mate and I to play on one copy on my main TV. If it required two copies, we'd have to think much more carefully about whether we'd get our money's worth, and perhaps wait and pick up two cheaper second-hand copies months later.

We're actually equipped now with two PCs, two PS4s and two WiiUs for online play, but being able to simply and easily play in split-screen on the main TV is still a major selling point for us, and worth having on the back of the box.

if you buy battlefront on PS4 digitally you will only need 1 copy to play on both PS4 consoles.....the more you know

I thought Battlefront only supported split screen vs bots or offline or something?

if you buy battlefront on PS4 digitally you will only need 1 copy to play on both PS4 consoles.....the more you know

Same with Xbox One I believe, with the Home Console trick.

Reading into the thread of Battlfront. Splitscreen is only available in the TINY co-op missions vs Bots (think horde). emphasis on tiny because it's probably nothing comparable to horde.

No splitscreen in the multiplayer aspect. DAMN SON. =/

If you actually look at games that have local co-op specific achievements/trophies, you will find that 40%-50% or more of people who play those games engage in local co-op. This is especially true for anything generally considered family friendly - like the LEGO games - but still holds up when you look at FPS games. Which, interestingly enough, is a higher percentage than the people who actually participate in online multiplayer (generally 30%-40% or less).
Well one you should have data to back this up and two how are achievements and trophies showing this at all? I don't think very many games have local coop achievements and the ones that do you would have to take into account the people who "boost" it and aren't really using the feature in a way that would fit this argument.

And yes you'd be surprised at how many people would be willing to "boost" to gain some skin or a big number next to their name.

If Halo 5 ends up being 1080p (please god) and 60fps you would be playing split screen at 720p/30fps just for them to have it implemented.

Not going to happen... E3 Demo still was very lowres. Both Warzone and Campaign. And i dont believe that thisis going to change that much.

And i doubt that the game will be locked 60fps either.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Sorry, must've scrolled past this. This is literal incompetence on the developers part. There is never an excuse to tie the renderer to game logic.

I honestly don't know if I've heard of a game tied to a 60fps framerate before. 30 frames, sure, but 60?

Ke0

Will this one be linear like Halo 4 or are they going back to the more open "bowl" style of Halo 1?

Top Bottom