• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No local split screen for Halo 5 at all? Campaign or MP...

None of mine do.

And nevermind friends, what about people you live with? What about siblings or partners who up until now you've always co-oped the games with? That's the situation I'm in. But ok, I'll just buy a second Xbone and tv for the flat /s

When you have two Xbones you only need to purchase 1 digital copy of any game and 1 xbox live subscription you can play on both xbones at the same time with 2 seperate gamertags! 2 for 1 forever....join the revolution ECW style!

When you have two Xbones you only need to purchase 1 digital copy of any game and 1 xbox live subscription you can play on both xbones at the same time with 2 seperate gamertags! 2 for 1 forever....join the revolution ECW style!

A couple of my friends do this with every game lol. They take turns buying the next title.

Being that I'm an admitted Halo fanboy this was probably gonna be the game that would get me to buy a Xbox One (MCC would've been it but...). Split screen for Halo is very important to me because I play with my kids all the time. Hell, my oldest is at the age where his friends come over for splitscreen action all the time! I hope that they change this somehow.

Aaron

Even if I'm in the minority, lack of splitscreen removes any reason for me to buy Halo 5. No matter how pretty the graphics are.

EvB

Whilst it is sad to see it go, I've always wondered since the days of Halo 3 just how much they have to strip back just to allow Splitscreen to even happen.

Cday

Banned
Wasn't going to get it anyway because Halo is dead, but it's good to see 343 still have their priorities in order when it comes to the franchise they adopted and how best to drag it through shit. It's not like local multiplayer was ever a major part in the draw of these games or anything right? They have no idea what they're doing. 343 have been tasked with keeping the franchise going and they've done nothing but fall on their faces at every step. This game will continue the trend. Pre order now.

1. Couch co-op is quite popular
2. Devs begin to sweep that feature under the rug because it's hard
3. People are upset about losing a feature they love
4. After many years people grow to expect lack of co-op
5. Younger gamers dont care because they grew up largely without it
6. Halo 5 removes couch co-op
7. People confuse cause and effect

Now the battle is truly lost.
Sums it up nicely.

VinFTW

Wasn't going to get it anyway because Halo is dead, but it's good to see 343 still have their priorities in order when it comes to the franchise they adopted and how best to drag it through shit. It's not like local multiplayer was ever a major part in the draw of these games or anything right? They have no idea what they're doing. 343 have been tasked with keeping the franchise going and they've done nothing but fall on their faces at every step. This game will continue the trend. Pre order now.

People have a right to be upset with no splitscreen, I am... but this is just a dumb thing to say.

maxiell

With a competitive focus to Halo multiplayer, it's asking for trouble to have some of your players running the game at 60 fps and others running it at 30 fps.

Offering coop strictly in the campaign would be a different story, but the decision seems to stem from their focus on 60fps as the standard.

Brannon

See, the mistake here is that y'all keep expecting 343 to know how to Halo. Even after all this time.

i3Y70zL.jpg

How's that working out for ya?

Rembrandt

Banned
Yes, it is a thing.

Split screen mp is a go to with friends over. Always used to have a copy of halo around simply because it was one of the easiest ways to get a group of people playing games.

This is a shame, but it means I really don't need to buy An Xbox one for halo.

or just, uh, get the MCC? but I feel ya.

See, the mistake here is that y'all keep expecting 343 to know how to Halo. Even after all this time.

i3Y70zL.jpg

How's that working out for ya?

that's silly. you're acting like it was a purposeful design choice and not a compromise to get the best fidelity and framerate. the halo 5 beta was lots of fun, so I'm optimistic.

Who

Banned
College kids from all over the world will be very disappointed by this.

How can you take splitscreen and LAN from Halo? I can't even...

BokehKing

Banned
College kids from all over the world will be very disappointed by this.

How can you take splitscreen and LAN from Halo? I can't even...
It's a mistake, when you have competition coming out around the same time that has split screen co-op

Rather, the mother of all over sights, all in the name of 1080p / 60fps

Is the trade off worth it?

Pandy

if you buy battlefront on PS4 digitally you will only need 1 copy to play on both PS4 consoles.....the more you know
Nice deal, but I'll never buy digital from Sony again after the piss-poor customer service I recieved trying to get a refund. (It wasn't that I didn't get the refund that pissed me off, it was that it took three months of exchanging e-mails to get a semi-straight answer from them.)

Reading into the thread of Battlfront. Splitscreen is only available in the TINY co-op missions vs Bots (think horde). emphasis on tiny because it's probably nothing comparable to horde.

No splitscreen in the multiplayer aspect. DAMN SON. =/

I thought Battlefront only supported split screen vs bots or offline or something?

Same with Xbox One I believe, with the Home Console trick.
I'm not sure how 'TINY' they are, but yes it's a local-multiplayer mode, not online-multiplayer.

EDIT: Just to try to keep my post on topic. I think in Halo 5 excluding it from online-multiplayer so that they can ensure all systems are running at 60fps with the same graphics is a fair call. Removing the local splitscreen co-op campaign despite it being a mainstay of the series, seems like a huge mistake, and I expect it has been made solely because they wanted to push this 4-player drop-in-drop-out online co-op mode they showed off at E3 instead.

Brannon

that's silly. you're acting like it was a purposeful design choice and not a compromise to get the best fidelity and framerate. the halo 5 beta was lots of fun, so I'm optimistic.

About the split screen, they just aren't good enough to bite off that much, and I accepted that fact long ago, but the lack of LAN, offline or otherwise is just beyond the pale. And still yet, not surprising in the least.

I will agree though, compared to the... alternative... at the time, the beta was god-tier.

Madness

Is this confirmed? We just had a thread on campaign co-op, why didn't they mention mp then?

Don't know how much more confirmation you'd need than the tweet plus the pre-order page. Microsoft would get sued if they falsely advertised split screen during pre-orders and purchases so that's why they only have 1-1 Xbox One/12-24 Xbox Live on the pre-order page.

Brannon

Working pretty well! Halo 4 was the best Halo game to date.

Eternal enemy! Well not really but I must differ.

Only because I played H4 on the MCC just days ago because I don't know, and half the terminals didn't work and I have no idea how to watch the terminals I unlocked but can't watch because the game has to pause (what) to bring up the Halo Channel (WHAT) to stream a video (WHAT) that black screens until you go back to the game (WHAT).

I played a game called The Darkness that let me watch an entire movie within the game while smooching my girlfriend on the couch. Those few clips at a slightly lower resolution should not have been a problem and yet...

Also pissed that the very last battle bugged out and told me to use the machine gun during the QTE when I was clearly holding a grenade. IT'S A QTE HOW DO YOU EVEN and now I'm nitpicking. But so many small things add up and H4 was full of them.

If H5 turns out as amazing as people think, I... I may have to say something nice about 343.

i think people who say its the vocal minority who wants halo splitscreen are crazy.

kids play fps all the time and most kids have at least 1 sibling or cousin they may enjoy playing splitscreen games with. apl these kids arent gonna be reading up on gaf to check if it has split screen.

my in-laws play halo splitscreen just about every other day for years. theyre buying an xb1 for halo and battlefront. a couple of my uncles only own an xbox for halo splitscreen. none of these people care enough about games to be checking up on them in this way and just expect there to be splitscreen.

even if the minority does want splitscreen, i dont think that minority is as small as some of you think. its stupid that i'll have to buy a second xbox to play this with my wife or in-laws who wont pay for online and if this one isnt really good it'll be my last halo if no splitscreen in the future.

Welfare

No longer a question.

Update: A Microsoft spokesperson confirmed to Ars Technica that Halo 5: Guardians will not support any form of split-screen multiplayer, nor will the game natively support LAN play. "The decision [to remove all split-screen modes] was an extremely difficult one for the team, but one that was necessary to deliver the biggest Halo game to date," the representative wrote in a statement. "343’s focus is to ensure that fans get the best Halo experience yet, and the team felt a split-screen experience would compromise the gameplay design and the visual bar they’ve set."

Don't know how much more confirmation you'd need than the tweet plus the pre-order page. Microsoft would get sued if they falsely advertised split screen during pre-orders and purchases so that's why they only have 1-1 Xbox One/12-24 Xbox Live on the pre-order page.

Weren't you arguing in the last thread for 343? I find it interesting you are the OP in this one.

i think people who say its the vocal minority who wants halo splitscreen are crazy.

kids play fps all the time and most kids have at least 1 sibling or cousin they may enjoy playing splitscreen games with. apl these kids arent gonna be reading up on gaf to check if it has split screen.

my in-laws play halo splitscreen just about every other day for years. theyre buying an xb1 for halo and battlefront. a couple of my uncles only own an xbox for halo splitscreen. none of these people care enough about games to be checking up on them in this way and just expect there to be splitscreen.

even if the minority does want splitscreen, i dont think that minority is as small as some of you think. its stupid that i'll have to buy a second xbox to play this with my wife or in-laws who wont pay for online and if this one isnt really good it'll be my last halo if no splitscreen in the future.

It's not a minority at all. Many of the Halo generation have kids now. The people who don't care probably never played it locally at all.

From the other thread:
By the way guys, this is only campaign. 2 player split is available in MP.

Yes but it's gaf so this thread is actually much longer than the news one.

Anyway yes, it's a bummer but 60fps had to take precedence. It's not just aesthetics- the entire simulation is built on that framerate.

The math for this sounds compelling at first blush but doesn't actually work like that. Couch players are usually either "extra" participants who would not buy the game or console anyway, people who already have the game in another location or relatives in the same house who absolutely would not buy a second console. So there are no "extra " sales to stretch for and actually a better argument for couch participants being slightly compelled to buy their own console.

Long story short, this is not a business decision it's a quality decision.

Yes and other more technically challenging aspects you may glimpse at E3.

Understood. Its a bad quality decision though. A quality Halo has this feature so without it and the reduction from 4 to 2 split screen mp makes quality subjective.

See this is why people calls you 343 guys liars. I know you hate that Frankie, I won't call you a liar but if this is true you guys let a 20 page thread go on with multiple posts claiming splitscreen MP was in. Not one of you guys corrected anyone on any of the Halo 5 or HaloGAF threads which you are all over.

I mean you guys do how many Sprint episodes, you don't see any mention of this. Do you understand why people think you are dishonest? Lack of disclosing things is still shady. Can you guys confirm, is there any split-screen in Halo 5 at all?

edit: Just saw the tweet. Shameful.

Krakn3Dfx

I play a ton of split screen coop with buddies who come over and my kids, Black Ops 3 is split screen coop, guess I know where my money is going this holiday.

I want a good looking and fully immersive campaign and multiplayer experience... Which sounds exactly like what we're getting. I really don't see what the big issue is.

This shouldn't be news to you, since you said Halo 4 was the best Halo, but the Halo you like is not the same as the Halo many other people like.

Brannon

Sun rises in the east and water is wet

It is clockwork. No one.

Absolutely no one.

Should be surprised by this company saying one thing and doing another THIS far into 2015, for whatever reason. I say this with no malice, no hate, none of that. I say it with the same feeling one would say that 1+1=2, or washing machines mainly wash clothes; it just is. 343 will say one thing, and do another. It is the constant everyone can rely upon in this sea of chaos called life.

Also they have an infinite supply of 'but's.

I wonder if you are serious with this posts...

I'm completely honest in saying that Halo 4 was one of my favorite games from the 360 era, and easily the best Halo game. The only games I hold in higher regard from that gen were Mass Effect 2 and Deus Ex HR.

I realize that some people hate Halo 4 and hate 343, and that's fine. We're all entitled to our own views and I won't demonize someone over it either. :)

I'm completely honest in saying that Halo 4 was one of my favorite games from the 360 era, and easily the best Halo game. The only games I hold in higher regard from that gen were Mass Effect 2 and Deus Ex HR.

I realize that some people hate Halo 4 and hate 343, and that's fine. We're all entitled to our own views and I won't demonize someone over it either. :)

You never played Halo since the beginning huh?...

Cant believe what i read...

Top Bottom