• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No local split screen for Halo 5 at all? Campaign or MP...

PSGames

Always hilarious when posters try to justify shitty corporate decisions by telling you what you will and wont like.

Newsflash. Tons of people dont give two shits about resolution or frame rate. Most just want to open a beer with a friend and have fun.

Some of these posts makes it sound like these people really have no friends in real life that would play with them. In which case it sucks but hey dont take it out on the rest of us. :p

Agreed. The only reason I've purchased most FPSs is to be able to hang out and enjoy my hobby with friends as I'm not a big fan of the genre. Can't share a beer with a friend online. It's just not the same.

Welp, Halo splittscreen is all I play. I've never played Halo online.
And I thought Halo 5 would finally be a reason to buy an XB1...
Does the MCC have local splittscreen mp?

343 is screwed either way.

They're getting raked over the coals for not including split screen co-op

They'd get raked over the coals during the DF GAF thread because of performance drops and probably be called lazy devs by armchair programmers.

"Raked over coals" for performance drops in co-op never happens.
Never.

It's something people accept and expect.

People are actually buying Halo 5 EXPECTING this in there since EVERY GAME has already had it.

Besides, Xbox One owners should be used to downgrading by now.

you realise if the option was in there you wouldn't even have to make that choice right? you could have your 60fps solo experience, and we can have our couch co-op. since when was having options bad? people are weird.

You'd realize that the option isn't there, If you read Franks Tweets surrounding this "drama". At no point did I say having options were bad. Clearly the choice was black and white for the devs, and Im glad they went with 60FPS option. People are weird

coldcrush

Neo Member
What a shame, I love playing Halo split screen, both MP and Co -op, some of my fondest gaming memories and moments were hanging out with real physical people in the room next to me enjoying the experience together.
I understand it is probably due to performance but I really feel like the split screen for me at least was part of the core Halo experience

leeh

I've played Halos since the OG, and this is a big shame as its what the series was known for.

Although, it's 2015 guys, let's face it, most of us play online co-op these days.

Detective

I really hope Halo 5 turns out great. I feel this is the franchise last chance.

Not having Splitscreen sucks though, I can live with that. Probably cause of 60fps

But not having next Gen graphics and effects for 60fps? I say fuck 60fps. Change or licenses better engine.

Cutting out features for 60fps. Good god..

EBE

shame. i sometimes play split screen with my brother.
very rare now as he moved away from console gaming, though.
oh well.

Zoolader

If Halo was a PB&J sandwich, local multiplayer would be the jelly. It sounds like split-screen got the axe in favor of constant 60fps across the board, which isn't nearly as important to me.

JimboJones

I don't understand people going on about it being some kind of niche mode that no one uses, I used to see loads of guest accounts when playing Halo 3 and Reach.

Aeqvitas

Never.

People are actually buying Halo 5 EXPECTING this in there since EVERY GAME has already had it.

I'm pretty sure people raked 343 for the huge performance hits split screen caused in Halo 4.

I'm still sad at the loss, but I also realize that I rarely used the feature since Halo 2 released with Live multiplayer. When I was a teenager me and my friends used to have Halo 1 LAN parties almost every weekend, but a combination of easy internet gaming and growing up has made couch coop a very rare occasion. I am still sad it is gone, but I rationally understand it actually isn't a big deal as it is no longer something people actually use very often. Do we really want devs to hamstring their games so that legacy features that very few people use will still exist, just for the sake of existing?

Clearly it would be ideal to have both, but if the choice was between having a solid 60FPS with a game based around having that, and having worse performance all around so that the 1% of people who will use a feature will find something else to complain about on message boards, I think 343 made the right call.

Madness

If you don't have Xbox live gold, it seems there is literally nothing except 1 player campaign for you to play. There is no split screen campaign, no split screen multi-player, no firefight, no spartan ops. Of course a lot of people have Xbox Live Gold but still.

I mean coop campaign I was like okay, you know what, maybe those massive guardian things and the giant levels means it would be hard to support split screen, but not even 2 player arena split screen? Breakout?

Never.

Dude you are so pessimistic. Not just on this thread either. Stop being so negative and enjoy fun games

Hubble

Not really a surprise. It's been obvious for sometime now 343 do not understand what makes Halo, Halo with their infatuation in chasing the COD crowd and implementing COD-like elements into their games. It is baffling local split screen was not on the design board from day one for Halo 5 as everyone who plays Halo knows this is a trademark feature that you can always rely on, but again, no surprise because they seem to have no clue on what Halo is.

If Halo was a PB&J sandwich, local multiplayer would be the jelly. It sounds like split-screen got the axe in favor of constant 60fps across the board, which isn't nearly as important to me.

id say local mulitplayer would be the crust that some people really dont care if its there or not.....peanut butter is campaign and jelly is Mulitplayer

Damned shame. Split screen halo was a staple during my college years. Finished 1-4 recently and had a lot of fun. Understand why they're doing this but it stings nonetheless :(

It's a real shame considering they could have dropped the framerate to 30 in split-screen campaign, and not taken as big a hit on graphics.

I don't think I've ever done a full play-through of a Halo campaign in single-player...

Jachaos

Split-screen is huge for me and many others. Some think because it's 2015 we should all stay at our own place every time we want to play a multiplayer game but I like local multiplayer. One of the best things about the Wii U. The main reason I still play PGR4 every now and then. 90% of the time I spent playing Halo 4 was split-screen. Other shooters don't all have it. It was a differentiator.

Halo fans are getting older, my guess is the number of people who use split-screen is dwindling. Personally that's how it is for me; the only people I know who play games have their systems and buy the games they like, so we don't need split-screen. None of my other friends would dare play a competitive Halo game for the sensible fear of being crushed, or they just don't game anymore.

343i has had some difficult decisions to make; either way they'll get shit on. They need to keep doing what they're doing though, Halo 5 mp is awesome, 60fps is awesome, free map packs is awesome, Warzone has potential. Not sure where I stand on this particular issue as I'm unaware of the development process, but it does especially suck for younger gamers that like to play together in the same room.

PSGames

Not really a surprise. It's been obvious for sometime now 343 do not understand what makes Halo, Halo with their infatuation in chasing the COD crowd and implementing COD-like elements into their games. It is baffling local split screen was not on the design board from day one for Halo 5 as everyone who plays Halo knows this is a trademark feature that you can always rely on, but again, no surprise because they seem to have no clue on what Halo is.

Even accepting this don't all CODs support local multiplayer of some kind? It really is baffling to not have even a small separate co-op mode of some kind for Halo 5.

Kama_1082

Banned
Never.

I assume you've never been in a DF Xbox one thread?

BokehKing

Banned
I assume you've never been in a DF Xbox one thread?
People that care about those particular issues are people that know what they're looking for. For the casual fans (like the ones that didn't care if something was 720p/60fps before the no split screen were announced) just want a fun game to play. Gaf bubble plays into this as well

I hate how coy they're being. The game is revealed and everything, just be honest and straightforward with your customers!

I wouldn't mind if it was added in a "content update" a little later on (in time for Christmas) to be honest. It would be way better than not having it at all.

New002

The times they are a changin'. I would be more upset by this if I hadn't already fortified my heart years ago. Couch co-op has been dying for a while now, and it's super unfortunate.

Posts like this is why I almost didn't make the thread. Come on. The game is shaping up to be the best campaign and multiplayer in a long time. I just wanted frank discussion not unwarranted insults. Seems like it's most likely a hardware issue, just disappointing because coop campaign is one thing, but split screen multiplayer is big.

For me personally split screen is how I played CE where we'd all get together at someone's house or use LAN at tournaments but by Halo 2 most of my playing was Xbox Live. By Halo 3, there was little to no split screen.

I only wanted to empathize with Halo fans who utilize split screen. Very easy for me to say, I play alone over xbl, give me 60fps over expense of others.

They could also just have the campaign run at 30 (as always) and the MP run at 60.

I'm guessing Bungie would have dropped local co-op too. See Destiny.

Bungie would not have dropped it, Destiny is a new IP focused on "shared world" gameplay. It's completely different. Halo co-op was what made it unique when it released and Bungie valued it.

343i ripped that out and replaced chief2 with 3 herp derp AI companions, even then they did not have to remove local co-op. Compromise and have the campaign looking the best it can at 30 and the MP as twitchy as they like at 60.

Believe it or not, not everyone buys Halo for the MP. And those who do wouldn't care if the campaign was running at 30 since they won't even bother with it.

Quoting some one from r/halo

This is a bad decision, split screen campaign and.multiplayer are the reason I love Halo since CE. I just finished 4 with my daughter and she's excited to play 5 with me... Guess not

A lot of people are in this situation now.

Not sure where all these people are getting "couch coop is dying anyway."
I couch coop, my kids do, my friends do. I have more RL friends playing offline games than have online paid mp subscriptions.
If anything, there's more couch coop going on, now that more people than ever are playing video games.

Not sure where all these people are getting "couch coop is dying anyway."
I couch coop, my kids do, my friends do. I have more RL friends playing offline games than have online paid mp subscriptions.
If anything, there's more couch coop going on, now that more people than ever are playing video games.

343 forgot people have friends in real life.

If this engine is "not made" for split screen, then the people who made it fucked up.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Bungie would not have dropped it, Destiny is a new IP focused on "shared world" gameplay. It's completely different. Halo co-op was what made it unique when it released and Bungie valued it.

Eh, nothing in Destiny should prevent local split-screen as long as two accounts existed. Be that as it may, Bungie's attempt at a "shared world" also has its share of problems. For one, the squad size is way too small and the raid player requirement is too large for people who have consistent groups of friends ranging in the 4-5 range. Secondly, the game doesn't give any kind of help in forming an online community either. I could definitely see current Bungie getting rid of split-screen. At least with Halo, I'll have modes that support playing with my friends in groups of anywhere between 2-12 players (12 being Warzone).

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Sucks, but honestly its not a big deal for me. I will still buy it and enjoy it.

Huge bummer for me, I always play Halo campaign on split screen. Even after how much I disliked Halo 4, I still planned on getting this for a run through with one of my friends so I could at least have an excuse to take the damn Xbone out of my closet.

Is couch co-op really a thing anymore? I understand that some people still like/want it, but isn't that a minority at this point?

I wouldn't want a dev to waste time including a feature for a small number of people, instead I'd hope they'd put those resources elsewhere,

1. Couch co-op is quite popular
2. Devs begin to sweep that feature under the rug because it's hard
3. People are upset about losing a feature they love
4. After many years people grow to expect lack of co-op
5. Younger gamers dont care because they grew up largely without it
6. Halo 5 removes couch co-op
7. People confuse cause and effect

Now the battle is truly lost.

Glass

Most of my real life friends who play video games have their own Xbox Ones....

None of mine do.

And nevermind friends, what about people you live with? What about siblings or partners who up until now you've always co-oped the games with? That's the situation I'm in. But ok, I'll just buy a second Xbone and tv for the flat /s

Top Bottom