• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky - 18 minute uninterrupted gameplay demo

Damn the world is so big.

And it's so cool that everything ties together nicely in a way you'd expect: planets revolve around their axis, there's night-day cycles, elements work together via chemistry (albeit a new sci-fi one), etc.

I'm going to love it.

Hoje0308

Banned
Jesus, man. Exploring a planet, flying around it and then just leaving the atmosphere and moving on to another one where I can land and do the same is like dream come true type of stuff for me.

I've had daydreams of doing just that while I was a kid and have been wanted a game like this since I realized the medium would one day be capable of providing such a thing.

vypek

Did anyone else become less positive about this game after he started shooting to mine resources. Also shooting a goat resulted in him being destroyed by a robot army seems like it would get old quickly.

But the tech behind this game and the scope of exploration looks like it will keep me interested, also the soundtrack seems like it will be great.

I wonder if the wanted level goes up quickly all the time by killing a single animal. Figured it would be built around continued antagonizing by the player.

And I do hate the shooting to mine resources.

Bsigg12

I wonder if the wanted level goes up quickly all the time by killing a single animal. Figured it would be built around continued antagonizing by the player.

It seemed like he did it right in front of a sentinel so that's why he instantly had a wanted level.

amnesiac

The only thing that has me worried is the sensitivity of the Sentinels. Sean defending himself from a hostile animal resulted in his death, and we've heard about this on more than one occasion. Wonder if the sensitivity is raised to keep the "action" going for the E3 build.

Exile20

The pop in was really bad and the frame rate was atrocious(was it the game or ign player?)

This is coming for pc right?

Pop

Looks magical. I want it now

Not worried about the draw distance or visuals. This is Sean's personal build of the game. So who knows why he had it this way. Probably because it's a stable build right now.

Edit: Framerate looked fine. Only at times it dipped when turning the character. Again, no telling how old the build is.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Mind blow when you realize that the galaxy (universe?) is essentially endless. There is no way the whole thing will ever be explored.

The galaxy map gives you that sense of awe and makes you feel very small.

hydruxo

That plasma cutter upgrade had me like

oprah-hold-me-back.gif

Draw distance could be better, yes, but the game's tech is incredible. Unless there's another real-time procedurally generated game with better graphics?

There's really nothing that incredible about procedural generation from a programming standpoint. It's just become popular recently as people have looked for infinite replayability, stuff like Dwarf Fortress or Minecraft.

I'm not saying the game isn't great, only that there is nothing really remarkable about procedural generation.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I really hope they have some kind of passive multiplayer, kind of like on Journey so you can interact but not necessarily in combat. I guess the hard bit would be actually finding another player in the galaxy as it is so vast.

DrKelpo

Banned
I've had daydreams of doing just that while I was a kid and have been wanted a game like this since I realized the medium would one day be capable of providing such a thing.

that almost made me a little teary-eyed.

I'm pretty excited for this one :)

ironcreed

Banned
Just think of how long you could spend merely exploring one giant planet that will ultimately amount to nothing but a mere grain of sand in a vast sea of solar systems. This game is absolutely nuts.

Watching that made me truly realise how big this game actually is and it makes me wonder if this can be real. I was completely sold before this, but now I feel like this could be the ultimate game, for this genre of course.
Absolutely astonishing what they have created, this has climbed to the no.1 spot in my anticipation list and I would happily pay $100 to be able to play this game. Please come out this year!

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Has there been much said about the audio in the game? It would be cool if the music is procedurally generated too, so each planet has its own soundtrack.

Mobius 1

It would be great if this game sparked curiosity about space exploration in kids, in the same manner that Minecraft has influenced many to learn about building things and programming.

Peltz

The pop in was really bad and the frame rate was atrocious(was it the game or ign player?)

It was definitely the ign player. At 1080p, the footage looked like a stuttering mess. I dropped the ign player down to 720p, and it looked like a buttery smooth 60fps. No stuttering at all. Particle effects also looked very smooth.

Pop

I really hope they have some kind of passive multiplayer, kind of like on Journey so you can interact but not necessarily in combat. I guess the hard bit would be actually finding another player in the galaxy as it is so vast.

He was next to a trade station. Saw some ships coming in and out. Sean said that those ships could be other players or could be AI. You can meet other players but it's such a small slim chance.

The game seems to want you to keep on the move from planet to planet to the center. I can't see myself exploring and mining a planet beyond 15 minutes or so.

I just wished that the universe has a lore similar to the Elite series so I wouldn't have to guess the different federations and such. I would like to know who I'm fighting for.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Just think of how long you could spend merely exploring one giant planet that will ultimately amount to nothing but a mere grain of sand in a vast sea of solar systems. This game is absolutely nuts.

Imagine how bored you'll be! Seriously guys, think about it. Don't want to shit on this thread, but I can't help but think the backlash on this game is going to be glorious.

Yes I'm the guy doing the giveaway for this game if it has an 8+ user score on metacritic after 2 months of its release date.

RiverKwai

There's really nothing that incredible about procedural generation from a programming standpoint. It's just become popular recently as people have looked for infinite replayability, stuff like Dwarf Fortress or Minecraft.

I'm not saying the game isn't great, only that there is nothing really remarkable about procedural generation.

The way they are implementing it is pretty unique.

Has there been much said about the audio in the game? It would be cool if the music is procedurally generated too, so each planet has its own soundtrack.

Yes, the audio score is also procedural.

Dredd97

He was next to a trade station. Saw some ships coming in and out. Sean said that those ships could be other players or could be AI. You can meet other players but it's such a small slim chance.

even with 50 million players playing at the same time, each player has a pool of about 340 billion planets to explore..

I'd say although not mathematically impossible, the chances of meeting somebody else is so remote as to not register...

muteki

The only thing I don't like about it is it seems like you just highlight a star and press square to go there, I'm not sure you can just fly toward one of those white dots and have a solar system slowly reveal as you get closer.

The amount of resistance you see with each increasing wanted level also seems off, but that could just be for illustrations sake and be tweaked later. It wasn't anything but increasing amounts of drones until the highest level.

Top Bottom