• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky - 18 minute uninterrupted gameplay demo

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
androvsky said:
but the game's tech is incredible.
"Tech" isn't a monolith - it's entirely possible to have amazing procedural generator and a shit renderer, for instance. Not saying that's the case here - I love how this game looks either way - though one has to wonder how much 60fps impacts the draw distance.

Hoje0308

Banned
I've a feeling this game will be the interactive version of the Pale Blue Dot, in that it'll give you some perspective of just how tiny we really are. Sure, it's a virtual experience but it can still demonstrate the size of a universe that, even with technology we may never possess, is beyond comprehension in terms of scope.

cackhyena

Nice, with that new player. I thought the game was stuttering that badly. God, IGN needs to get their shit together with their player.

ironcreed

Banned
Imagine how bored you'll be! Seriously guys, think about it. Don't want to shit on this thread, but I can't help but think the backlash on this game is going to be glorious.

Yes I'm the guy doing the giveaway for this game if it has an 8+ user score on metacritic after 2 months of its release date.

Speak for yourself. I want to explore increasingly exotic and alien worlds, and have encounters with weird alien life that is both hostile and friendly alike. All while salvaging and upgrading as I make my way through the galaxy. It's a space exploration/survival dream game. Just because it is not your cup of tea does not mean that everyone else is going to hate it.

Pop

The only thing I don't like about it is it seems like you just highlight a star and press square to go there, I'm not sure you can just fly toward one of those white dots and have a solar system slowly reveal as you get closer.

The amount of resistance you see with each increasing wanted level also seems off, but that could just be for illustrations sake and be tweaked later. It wasn't anything but increasing amounts of drones until the highest level.

That's not how it works. This is Sean's own personal build of the game. This demo was built so he could go anywhere. And yes you can just fly off in one direction forever.

alba

Little is the new Big
Every time I see the game, it just makes me want to play it more. I want a release date so badly Sean. Pleaaase!

Danlord

I wonder if this will be 60fps on PS4? I hope so.

It was being played at 60FPS on a PS4, and in a previous Game Informer interview he's "targeting 60" which is to avoid legal disputes, other game developers/publishers do that too.

Don't worry, it's going to be good 60FPS for when it gets Project Morpheus support :D

It was being played at 60FPS on a PS4, and in a previous Game Informer interview he's "targeting 60" which is to avoid legal disputes, other game developers/publishers do that too.

Don't worry, it's going to be good 60FPS for when it gets Project Morpheus support :D

Noice!

FelipeMGM

Just finished watching the video and I need this more than ever. IGN should have another video next week with Ryan playing this tiem. I hope we get a 2015 release date by the end of this month

The more I see of this game, the more I wish it was a full-fledged MMO.

It feels like it is going to NEED a more in-depth multiplayer component to hold people's attentions.

However, I understand that doing that would make the vast openness of the game's universe limited in terms of server stability. Having every single person active in the same universe with quintillions of planets, lifeforms, etc... to keep track of is probably impossible.

But, allowing people to form factions (guilds), fighting over territory, forming alliances, etc... I just don't see how the game's AI by itself will be compelling enough to keep everyone coming back for more. I don't see a very rewarding 'progression' in this game other than ship/suit/gun upgrades. It feels like a 1.) scan & farm planets, 2.) sell resources and uploaded data, 3.) upgrade your ship/suit/guns to unlock new planets, 4.) repeat until you reach the middle of the galaxy/universe.

I really want to love this game. I really want to jump on the hype. It just seems like it'll be boring in a few short hours without a truly tangible multiplayer element. But I can totally understand that a more involved multiplayer element would probably compromise Sean's original philosophy for the game.

So, I'm still on the fence about this game. :(

Exile20

What a shitty ign player.

Hoping the planets are interesting and diverse because it seems this game is only about exploration and it can get boring fast, very fast.

Anyone have any clips of any of the interesting planets? I haven't seen any yet.

vypek

THANK YOU

So much better than the shitty IGN player.

No problem. I thought I was the only one who had issues with the IGN player but I guess it is most people. IDK why they bother with it. Its awful. I always just look at the page source for the link to the video.

AdanVC

Looks awesome as usual... Release dateeeeeeeeee please :(

holy fudge, why does the ign player suck so hard?

"Here, have an unskipabble 1 minute commercial in total HD"
*ad finishes and video finally starts to play*
*begins stuttering every 3 seconds and at 240p*
*Leaves IGN forever*

Yes omfg.

It feels like it is going to NEED a more in-depth multiplayer component to hold people's attentions.

However, I understand that doing that would make the vast openness of the game's universe limited in terms of server stability. Having every single person active in the same universe with quintillions of planets, lifeforms, etc... to keep track of is probably impossible.

But, allowing people to form factions (guilds), fighting over territory, forming alliances, etc... I just don't see how the game's AI by itself will be compelling enough to keep everyone coming back for more. I don't see a very rewarding 'progression' in this game other than ship/suit/gun upgrades. It feels like a 1.) scan & farm planets, 2.) sell resources and uploaded data, 3.) upgrade your ship/suit/guns to unlock new planets, 4.) repeat until you reach the middle of the galaxy/universe.

I really want to love this game. I really want to jump on the hype. It just seems like it'll be boring in a few short hours without a truly tangible multiplayer element. But I can totally understand that a more involved multiplayer element would probably compromise Sean's original philosophy for the game.

Bounties are also available. The game is very similar to the Elite series.

Danlord

Side Note: The article/video says "uninterrupted" but I don't think IGN knows what that word means, because it is 18 minutes interrupted, except when it's interrupted with shots of Sean and IGN staff.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Looks awesome as usual... Release dateeeeeeeeee please :(

"Here, have an unskipabble 1 minute commercial in total HD"
*ad finishes and video finally starts to play*
*begins stuttering every 3 seconds and at 240p*
*Leaves IGN forever*

Yes omfg.

So true. The damned advertisement plays better than the content of the video.

Side Note: The article/video says "uninterrupted" but I don't think IGN knows what that word means, because it is 18 minutes interrupted, except when it's interrupted with shots of Sean and IGN staff.

It's called clickbait.....IGN's a business and will do anything to get those clicks man! But hey, at least we got more details from the Man himself, Sean Murray about this game!

Haunted

Quickly skimmed it as they don't really need to convince me anymore. Looks like we've learned nothing new as everything they did in this was already alluded to from previous sessions. All in all, it was probably a - *sigh* - smart idea to show off the minutiae of things to placate some of the more narrow-minded critics out there.

That said, I foresee that we'll see a divided reception for the final game, many praising the premise, tech and presentation, while lamenting a certain shallowness to the whole experience - mirroring the reception of Elite: Dangerous.

Hyped.

But I'm thinking. Why are all the gameplay demos we are getting showing very similiar looking planets and creatures? I mean I'd think there would be, and they would like to show more variety. I get there is going to be plains with critters and funny coloured crass, where is all the crazy alien stuff?

Danlord

I'm also sure we saw a brief glimpse at terrain deformation too.

Right after Sean shot the floor to scare off the goat after he respawned,a big chunk of rock flew up and bounced around before disappearing.

BIUmXRz.jpg

Check the time stamp of the video and see for yourselves, I don't know how to do .GIF's.

They created their own periodic table for the game? Nice :0

Most surprising aspect for this game by far. Being a Chemistry nerd, I will be interested in how they came up with the rules and how those rules apply to this version of the world that they created...

When the real PToE was created, it took a long time and there are so many intricate details and rules to how these elements are laid out in the real PToE...

komorebi

Imagine how bored you'll be! Seriously guys, think about it. Don't want to shit on this thread, but I can't help but think the backlash on this game is going to be glorious.

Nope. I personally have been waiting for a game like this for years, if not decades. This is like a dream game for me and I can't wait to just go out and explore. Any backlash would most likely come from Gen ADD or those with zero sense of imagination or who have no love of space and space sims.

I hope this releases soon because I can't take these teaser videos anymore.

People still do play single player experiences, man. I am actually relieved that this is not some MMO with people running around fighting each other and shit. I want a sense of wonder that is mine and truly galaxy-sized. The feeling of awe when I find a place that nobody else has been to before. A feeling of being a solitary journeyman who is trying to survive the dangers of space, galactic pirates and whatever alien threats I may run into along the way.

^ Exactly!

BigDug13

Hyped.

But I'm thinking. Why are all the gameplay demos we are getting showing very similiar looking planets and creatures? I mean I'd think there would be, and they would like to show more variety. I get there is going to be plains with critters and funny coloured crass, where is all the crazy alien stuff?

The planet he was visiting has been shown before in other videos. Hopefully the next video is footage of a planet we haven't seen before because of choosing a random solar system.

androvsky

There's really nothing that incredible about procedural generation from a programming standpoint. It's just become popular recently as people have looked for infinite replayability, stuff like Dwarf Fortress or Minecraft.

I'm not saying the game isn't great, only that there is nothing really remarkable about procedural generation.

I agree, there is nothing remarkable about procedural generation in general. What I'm saying is remarkable is Hello Game's implementation of it. I know there's a ton of offline terrain generators that do perfectly photorealistic terrain for movies, and they're used in games like Witcher 3 and Dust 514 to get a base terrain for artists to fill in the vegetation and other details. But none of those that I know of are real-time, and the ones I do know are real-time are along the lines of Space Engine, where it takes a monster PC, build terrain slower, and still doesn't look anywhere near as good or varied as No Man's Sky does. Not to bag on Space Engine since it's still quite an accomplishment. Elite 2 was extremely impressive and Rescue on Fractalus still blows my mind, but those were relative to the incredibly limited tech they were running on. Honestly Minecraft and Proteus are the closest I can think of, and again, No Man's Sky is still quite a leap.

"Tech" isn't a monolith - it's entirely possible to have amazing procedural generator and a shit renderer, for instance. Not saying that's the case here - I love how this game looks either way - though one has to wonder how much 60fps impacts the draw distance.
Well, in this case I'd imagine draw distance is a factor of both how fast the procedural generator can create terrain and objects and how fast the renderer can draw them. I know Space Engine is relatively slow to generate high-detail terrain and textures, making rendering the easy part in that case.

N30RYU

The game looks amazing but they should solve that draw distance pop-ins while walking on a planet, cause they're quite distracting.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Oh god yes. All month long! I love IGN first :)

Edit holy shit the first seconds already look great

ironcreed

Banned

People still do play single player experiences, man. I am actually relieved that this is not some MMO with people running around fighting each other and shit. I want a sense of wonder that is mine and truly galaxy-sized. The feeling of awe when I find a place that nobody else has been to before. A feeling of being a solitary journeyman who is trying to survive the dangers of space, galactic pirates and whatever alien threats I may run into along the way.

raviolico

Hyped.

Yep, this. In some trailers you see glimpses of alien weirdness
but the E3 demo and this first view looks kinda same-ish.

StarVigil

"You are literally God."
"Yeah, exactly. Although I can still get killed, right. So what does that say?"
Love that guy.

Hence the title No Man's Sky

Top Bottom