• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky - 18 minute uninterrupted gameplay demo

KTallguy

Banned
Stunning looking. Can't wait to buy this.

I've been on a Star Trek marathon lately too :)

Edit: I'm glad this isn't an MMO. Star Citizen can fill that niche. I like the more solitary experience.

mnannola

The more I see of this game, the more I wish it was a full-fledged MMO.

It feels like it is going to NEED a more in-depth multiplayer component to hold people's attentions.

However, I understand that doing that would make the vast openness of the game's universe limited in terms of server stability. Having every single person active in the same universe with quintillions of planets, lifeforms, etc... to keep track of is probably impossible.

But, allowing people to form factions (guilds), fighting over territory, forming alliances, etc... I just don't see how the game's AI by itself will be compelling enough to keep everyone coming back for more. I don't see a very rewarding 'progression' in this game other than ship/suit/gun upgrades. It feels like a 1.) scan & farm planets, 2.) sell resources and uploaded data, 3.) upgrade your ship/suit/guns to unlock new planets, 4.) repeat until you reach the middle of the galaxy/universe.

I really want to love this game. I really want to jump on the hype. It just seems like it'll be boring in a few short hours without a truly tangible multiplayer element. But I can totally understand that a more involved multiplayer element would probably compromise Sean's original philosophy for the game.

So, I'm still on the fence about this game. :(

You are right that having a MMO component would add a lot of depth, but that doesn't mean that a single player game like this is not without merit. I can easily see my self putting 50-100 hours in this game just flying around and finding new stuff.

Elite Dangerous it a little more what you are talking about, and hopefully once they add Planetary Landings it will be even closer.

There is plenty of room for space exploration games of all shapes and sizes in games. Hopefully some big publishers will be less scared if these games are successful.

jwk94

I'm scared there's going to be nothing to do in this. The world is going to be big and empty.

Underztandable. I want to see how they're going to get the player to keep playing. The game doesn't end, but people can only "discover" so much until they get bored.

xBladeM6x

This is so good. Nice to see that shit can get chaotic when you keep killing. Also, loved the crafting and inventory interface.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Lost excitement for this game. Seeing gameplay just makes it look incredibly boring. Maybe it's just one of them you need to play to understand but I do like the idea of exploring and travelling to different planets.

Starviper

So with the crafting in the game, can you actually make anything with it or is it all for generating credits to buy equipment/powerups?

sMd0bzA.jpg

UGwsluC.jpg

eoFKylY.jpg

4wx2NiZ.jpg

hawk2025

The only niggling issues I'm seeing is the pop-up of assets, but I'm willing to accept that for this :)

I'm not seeing the framerate issues some people were mentioning in page 1 at all.

This looks fun as hell and super engaging. I can't wait to explore, I like the approach to mining, combat, creatures, you name it.

JawzPause

Holyyyy fucking shit this game is insane.
I really do hope Hello Games deliver and put peter molyneux at the center at the galaxy...

ironcreed

Banned
Underztandable. I want to see how they're going to get the player to keep playing. The game doesn't end, but people can only "discover" so much until they get bored.

If you get sick of salvaging, upgrading and exploring, then upgrade and make your way to the center of the galaxy as fast as you can. That is the ultimate goal if you feel like you need one. But the game can be enjoyed far beyond that for those who want to.

TheXbox

At 7:07 it sounds like Sean confirms multiplayer. "They could be AI, they could potentially be other players," when discussing the ships coming in and out of the docking station. Still watching so I'll see if there's more context to that, but it sounds like MP is definitely in.

c0Zm1c

Imagine how bored you'll be! Seriously guys, think about it. Don't want to shit on this thread, but I can't help but think the backlash on this game is going to be glorious.

Yes I'm the guy doing the giveaway for this game if it has an 8+ user score on metacritic after 2 months of its release date.

Glorious? Interesting choice of word there. That makes it sound like you want it to be a disaster. :/

xBladeM6x

Holyyyy fucking shit this game is insane.
I really do hope Hello Games deliver and put peter molyneux at the center at the galaxy...

That tease was so good. I love to think he only mentioned it out of spite for all the people who compare him (Sean Murray) to Peter Molyneux. They seriously need to add a single species of Molyneux to some planet near the center of the galaxy, and whoever finds it first wins some real life prize.

At 7:07 it sounds like Sean confirms multiplayer. "They could be AI, they could potentially be other players," when discussing the ships coming in and out of the docking station. Still watching so I'll see if there's more context to that, but it sounds like MP is definitely in.

You're not all persistently connected, but once "close enough" to another player, you seamlessly transition into the same lobby, with no warning.

Nzyme32

It would be interesting if they support Steam Workshop on PC and provide tools for people to make their own ridiculous Universes. They could even go as far as to actually make Peter Molyneux the centre of the Universe

mrqs

The game WILL be boring, at times. Will be amazing too. That's the point. Minecraft is boring as hell at times, but that doesn't mean that the game isn't great and amazing to explore.

No Man's Sky is just that. Exploration, discovery and freedom.

If you think that's a bad thing, than this game is not for you.

Pop

This opinion doesn't fly. You could say the same thing about every other game. Millions every year buy COD, people are still buying Minecraft. The thing is if a person can't get excited about exploring endlessly freely then just maybe the game isn't for them. But again, the game has more then just exploring.

People still do play single player experiences, man. I am actually relieved that this is not some MMO with people running around fighting each other and shit. I want a sense of wonder that is mine and truly galaxy-sized. The feeling of awe when I find a place that nobody else has been to before. A feeling of being a solitary journeyman who is trying to survive the dangers of space, galactic pirates and whatever alien threats I may run into along the way.

I just hope there is a lot more treasure-hunting aspects added to this game.

So far, it seems like everyone is doing the same exact thing and finding the same types of things. (resources, scanning discoveries, etc...)

Will we be able find unique alien ship/suit/gun upgrades, for example? Like on a random planet with some random exploration, can we accidentally find something physical that we can collect and add to upgrade ourselves? What about finding a new ...SHIP in a undiscovered cave that we could claim? That would be a nice 'soil your pants' moment!

I just think exploration needs to be rewarded as part of the progression of the game, just as much as scanning and farming resources is needed to acquire currency to buy the predetermined things at trading posts/space stations.

I think it's more fun to discover real things that you can physically use, than to just hit the scan and upload buttons between shopping trips.

Maybe that's in the game too - but I don't know. I haven't heard anything like that yet.

I can live without the MMO-stuff, but there needs to be a hook for me to keep me coming back for more. I haven't seen a hook like that yet.

Purexed

Banned
Getting bomba vibes from this game, great looking game in a 3 minute demo, looks boring as hell for a long-term play. Hope I'm wrong.

hawk2025

Whoaaaa at the ring-like structures in the moon he visits. That looks amazing.

"What awaits us at the center of the galaxy?"

"...Peter Molyneux?"

lol

TheXbox

You're not all persistently connected, but once "close enough" to another player, you seamlessly transition into the same lobby, with no warning.
So like Journey or Destiny. That's super rad. I thought it would be a completely solitary experience, but it seems I was wrong.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
androvsky said:
I know Space Engine is relatively slow to generate high-detail terrain and textures, making rendering the easy part in that case.
60hz rendering means less CPU/GPU "per TimeUnit" is available to the world-generators as well, leading to potentially more latency to spawn details.

Also most of the time generating is highly temporally coherent work, so I expect draw-in distance is still limited by render-load as well.

Trouble

Banned

So far, it seems like everyone is doing the same exact thing and finding the same types of things. (resources, scanning discoveries, etc...)

Will we be able find unique alien ship/suit/gun upgrades, for example? Like on a random planet with some random exploration, can we accidentally find something physical that we can collect and add to upgrade ourselves?

I just think exploration needs to be rewarded as part of the progression of the game, just as much as scanning and farming resources is needed to acquire currency to buy the predetermined things at trading posts/space stations.

I think it's more fun to discover real things that you can physically use, than to just hit the scan and upload buttons between shopping trips.

Maybe that's in the game too - but I don't know. I haven't heard anything like that yet.

I can live without the MMO-stuff, but there needs to be a hook for me to keep me coming back for more. I haven't seen a hook like that yet.

Yes. You can find crashed ships that you can fix and make your own. You also find blueprints for upgrading your gear.

Game looks amazing. The only complaint I have is that they didn't use real chemistry. I was never good at it and this would've been a fun way to learn.

nitpicking. I love what they've shown.

xBladeM6x

Could someone please make a gif of when he scans the planet and literally does a circle so you can see all the points of interest that pop up, for people saying it'll be a bunch of big empty planets.

Danlord

I made a GIF ( just before GAF went down briefly) of the part where I think is evidence of some terrain deformation

A4wBwjv.gif

Definitely looks it

AngryMoth

Game continues to amaze me. My only gripes are the draw distance and pop in, hope they manage to improve those for launch.

muteki

That's not how it works. This is Sean's own personal build of the game. This demo was built so he could go anywhere. And yes you can just fly off in one direction forever.

That's reassuring. I hope we get to see the game being played for-realsies soon.

ironcreed

Banned

Will we be able find unique alien ship/suit/gun upgrades, for example? Like on a random planet with some random exploration, can we accidentally find something physical that we can collect and add to upgrade ourselves? What about finding a new ...SHIP in a undiscovered cave that we could claim? That would be a nice 'soil your pants' moment!

But there are things we use. The reward will be in getting constantly better ships and gear in general as we discover and salvage. Beyond the planets, there are also ports and space stations, encounters with increasingly hostile alien life, etc. Which means that we will more than likely get our hands on alien tech as well.

todahawk

Top Bottom