• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky - 18 minute uninterrupted gameplay demo

KiraXD

Eh it looks like a low fi mix of outtera and space engine, but with some rpg mechanics and gameplay mechanics added to it.

The tech itself has been done before and yes with prettier graphics.

Go download outtera and check it out, the sense of scale is also better in it planet wise, the planet in the OP's video seems more like a scale version of the real thing (similar to KSP)

lol... that looks like a Bryce generator circa late 90's early 2000's

The art direction is different, not prettier. the rendering is different... not prettier. that is completely subjective.

muteki

I misspoke, not a load "screen", but a state change. LOD loads greater detail the closer you get to geometry and objects, and that's present of course. What I am seeing here is a binary state of "far away" and "in atmo" for the planet.

Think of it this way: The game doesn't need to hold the higher-detail planet in memory, and only does so when you cross that threshold where the screen flashes white as you enter the atmosphere.

I noticed it too, looks similar to how Metroid games have hidden load times behind door opening animations. By having a longer flash of light they could do a better job of obfuscating the loading.

Another observation: The flight has a "boost", but hasn't demonstrated variable speed. I'd love to use an analog throttle.

I noticed it too, looks similar to how Metroid games have hidden load times behind door opening animations. By having a longer flash of light they could do a better job of obfuscating the loading.

Yeah, kinda like that. In this case, I'm being very nit-picky because it's a small thing in an otherwise really impressive and cool transition. Not quite seamless, though.

Coxy

I really want to know more about ship upgrades, I need to know how far it goes, if I can build some crazy death star equivalent or capital ship and just murder everyone I ever see

Or would this rock reset after moving some distance?

smSeFfb.gif
Sean says that it stays persistant while you're there, but wont stay after you leave the world if I read it correctly.

It will stay for you, but not for anyone else. Only big changes will affect everyone.

hymanator

I'm guessing that an online connection is required to play this game. Your save file would be insanely big if it kept track of changes made to every single planet you visit.

]lol... that looks like a Bryce generator circa late 90's early 2000's
[/B]

The art direction is different, not prettier. the rendering is different... not prettier. that is completely subjective.

idk what video you looked at but outtera has very very very good graphics, very impressive lighting and a crazy amount of trees onscreen at once as well as really good grass draw distance.

https://gfycat.com/JealousHairyBeagle
untitled-18qkb2.gif

mat_glass.gif

edit: here's an old gaf thread with screenshots and gifs
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=513621&page=2

Bsigg12

So... I can sculpt anything on rocks?
And let's say another player arrives to my planet, he could witness any of my creations?
If that is so, I will sculpt a whole planet of dicks to scare potential invaders.

Since that's considered mining, you would probably be attacked by the sentinels for over mining the planet unless you find a planet with no galactic police ptesence in which case it'll probably be a very boring planet if the self replicating robots deem it barren enough to not care.

I'm glad we saw some glimpses of the UI, but I'd be surprised if the final game looked exactly like that to be honest, it's still all rough around the edges. I'd say the whole thing about us seeing this rough build of the game can be a bit confusing. They very well might have a newer build that has better view distance (less pop-in that is), more polished technical details like less floating grass or visible lines where the landmass blocks are being generated etc. Or the game will pretty much look exactly like this. Not that they're obligated to do so, but it would be nice for them to at least mention if these technical details might get improved. I'm honestly ok with all that and I think the final game will indeed have lots of pop-in, low poly assets, muddy textures and so on, even on the PC version. I fear that all of the hard work they've put in with designing the basic assets won't be all that visible and appreciated since the final product might look technically underwhelming in some aspects. It's got a pretty nice art direction and a hefty amount of combined tech to make a seamless galaxy but I'm sure a lot of people won't care for that very much.

I'm just extremely excited about someone putting all of these bits and piece together into one coherent thing. I'm expecting it to have a lot of rough details, annoying sounds, boring gameplay elements and questionable game feel, but it doesn't really matter that much to me since the main idea is a good one. Battlecruiser 3000AD was also one of those dream game projects but it was always hampered by overcomplicated systems, feature creep and bad design decisions so it was never really a finished product. No Man's Sky has a chance to actually be a proper game, because it goes for the more arcadey and manageable approach, which I think it's a smart move.

If and once this kind of heavily-procedurally-generated development approach takes flight, we might see many more games simulating all sorts of systems on a larger or a more detailed scale that still manage to keep the gameplay fun and engaging while having better production values. Then we might see some really insane games, with actual civilizations on planets, much more interactive alien races, MMO and building elements and so on. It's all possible, but combining it into a well polished and good looking game is a very big endeavor. It's more like making multiple games into a single seamless product.

Anyway, can't wait for this game, it's something I've dreamed about since the days of the first Elite and Starflight. Space Engine is pretty much all I need, with the addition of just a little bit of gameplay. NMS seems to offer at least that, and more, so I'm good.

viveks86

Or would this rock reset after moving some distance?

https://i.imgur.com/smSeFfb.gif[/IMG

[/QUOTE]
Sean says that it stays persistant while you're there, but wont stay after you leave the world if I read it correctly.[/QUOTE]

Still not clear what that means. I could be on the planet for days or weeks. They are definitely not going to store all that in memory. And when they say 2 people can theoretically meet anywhere, what does that mean? Will the other person see the deformed rock too?

[quote="Icyflamez96, post: 171089732"]It will stay for you, but not for anyone else. Only big changes will affect everyone.[/QUOTE]

For how long? If I spend 6 hours running around the whole planet, will it still be there?

KooopaKid

Banned
Still reminds me of Spore, the moment to moment gameplay amounts to nothing : shooting rocks, scanning animals, walking and flying in quite empty areas. Not very interesting tasks. We still haven't seen any real dog fights. If the AI is anything like the security bots, it's going to be very boring. The scope is admirable though.

Trup1aya

Man, this game is astounding, from a tech point of view...

I don't know if the gameplay loop would hold my attention for long, but I can't help but marvel at the technical achievement .

Still reminds me of Spore, the moment to moment gameplay amounts to nothing : shooting rocks, scanning animals, walking and flying in quite empty areas. Not very interesting tasks. We still haven't seen any real dog fights. If the AI is anything like the security bots, it's going to be very boring. The scope is admirable though.

You might be better off playing Elite Dangerous if you are looking for intense dog fighting in space.

Side Note: I love how IGN seems to never have heard of the Elite series or Space Engine.

ironcreed

Banned
Are there no NPCs or characters in this game?

Not sure about NPC characters you can talk to and such. But we do know that you encounter pirates and varying types of aliens that become more strange and hostile as you go deeper into the galaxy. It is supposed to get more alien and dangerous on the whole the closer you get to the center.

Tetraeon

Not too sure about this. Conceptually it's awesome and jaw dropping. As a game... well, only time can tell.

Grief.exe

You might be better off playing Elite Dangerous if you are looking for intense dog fighting in space.

Side Note: I love how IGN seems to never have heard of the Elite series or Space Engine.

Welcome to mainstream gaming journalism.

They likely have no idea people can even play games on PC.

labx

Banned
IGN coverage is still ongoing. We may still get a release date by the end of the month.

Dunno. But I bet is 2016. NMS has become a AAA game. I guess that the game will have digital release and physical with CE and all.

At just after 17 minutes, when he's zooming around the galaxy map, I saw a star that was green. Almost all the other ones I saw were blueish-white. Wonder if that means anything...

I saw 2 as well. Maybe they are planets made by hand (they seemed isolated so they could be just by themselves)

c0Zm1c

I wonder if there's any kind of fast travel while on foot. It might be a bit annoying if I've been exploring for a long while and decide I want to go into space but then realise my ship is on the far side of the planet lol. I did see in one video the player stepping into what looked like some kind of portal?

KiraXD

idk what video you looked at but outtera has very very very good graphics, very impressive lighting and a crazy amount of trees onscreen at once as well as really good grass draw distance.

the video... i mean it looked okay... but it looks plain, uninteresting and empty... can it be used for more diverse alien planets than earth looking planets?

Art Direction is a major factor...i mean...

this:
NewEridu.png

Is far more pleasing than...

this:
water-refl000.jpg

Trouble

Banned
I wonder if there's any kind of fast travel while on foot. It might be a bit annoying if I've been exploring for a long while and decide I want to go into space but then realise my ship is on the far side of the planet lol. I did see in one video the player stepping into what looked like some kind of portal?

Jetpack, yo.

barit

Can't watch on PS4 nor on my IPad. Good work IGN! What a shitty video player is this? Need YouTube link asap

Edit: four posts above -.- thanks

Edit2: this is fucking MINDBLOWING. I need this game now!

Lingitiz

Not sure about NPC characters you can talk to and such. But we do know that you encounter pirates and varying types of aliens that become more strange and hostile as you go deeper into the galaxy. It is supposed to get more alien and dangerous on the whole the closer you get to the center.

This game is going to feel astoundingly empty if there's no characters to interact with. The idea of it becoming alien and dangerous in the center of the universe works if the other areas feel safe and full of people to interact with.

And I'm glad this is getting a PC release day and date. Mods seem like where this game is going to really shine.

It looks very promising and I want to play it asap. To me, graphically it's totally acceptable. It's a giganormous game made by 10 people, you can't expect everything to be perfect.

That said, the wanted level progression was a little bit overkill. Passing from being cool with the space police to being attacked by an army of sentinels in just a few seconds didn't feel right.

They say that, but they've yet to show a planet anywhere near he size of Earth, which they claim exists. I just wish they'd stop showing very similar planets each time.

The hell.

I said atmosphere size varies. We've seen varying atmosphere sizes.

Where the hell did I say anything about earth.

whoszed

One question I have that I'm not sure about is will there be cities or civilizations in the game, some kind of alien culture? Or is it mostly wilderness

labx

Banned
It's still being made by a team of ~14 at an indie developer. What is your criteria for saying it's AAA now vs previously?

Not sure why that would matter anyways. AAA is just a label, it means literally nothing.

Indi developers with Sony backing them up. I'm saying the game is now reciving a "AAA" treatment.You say it yourself, it is made by 14 developers, but everybody have hugh expectations. E3 live show, IGN covering it, etc. For me this game it always be a "AAA" game because the way the game is, but the amount of press and pressure this guys have is off the charts.

Top Bottom