• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky - 18 minute uninterrupted gameplay demo

Oh I know, dude.... day 1. Game looks absolutely amazing.
Love the scale and enormity of it. It's gonna be nice to be able to go from combat centric to just chilling out and exploring. Can't wait to hear the full 65 Days of Static soundtrack

I doubt there will be a full soundtrack that one can actually download and listen to as Murray has stated in the past (PSX iirc) that all of the games music is also procedurally generated from a source that was recorded by 65...

RiverKwai

At just after 17 minutes, when he's zooming around the galaxy map, I saw a star that was green. Almost all the other ones I saw were blueish-white. Wonder if that means anything...

I doubt there will be a full soundtrack that one can actually download and listen to as Murray has stated in the past (PSX iirc) that all of the games music is also procedurally generated from a source that was recorded by 65...

They've said there will be a regular soundtrack too. Portal 2 managed to have a soundtrack.

RiverKwai

Much of the music that 65days produce for No Man's Sky will ultimately be released as a record "proper" to accompany, and in its own way promote, the release of the game (which is still very much TBC, date wise). These tracks are locked-in-place creations that will remain unchanged, and are set to feature in the game at semi-scripted moments. But while working through what elements to turn into finished cuts and which to set to one side, 65days were careful to collect every "scrap" for a very special purpose: so that they could become part of the game's persistently generative ambient soundtrack, overseen by audio director Paul Weir.

Man, this game. It calls out to the 70's space kid in me so badly.

At just after 17 minutes, when he's zooming around the galaxy map, I saw a star that was green. Almost all the other ones I saw were blueish-white. Wonder if that means anything...

Different chemical makeup, different colour? - whatever it is, everybody will be heading to the first green star they see :)

I agree, there is nothing remarkable about procedural generation in general. What I'm saying is remarkable is Hello Game's implementation of it. I know there's a ton of offline terrain generators that do perfectly photorealistic terrain for movies, and they're used in games like Witcher 3 and Dust 514 to get a base terrain for artists to fill in the vegetation and other details. But none of those that I know of are real-time, and the ones I do know are real-time are along the lines of Space Engine, where it takes a monster PC, build terrain slower, and still doesn't look anywhere near as good or varied as No Man's Sky does. Not to bag on Space Engine since it's still quite an accomplishment. Elite 2 was extremely impressive and Rescue on Fractalus still blows my mind, but those were relative to the incredibly limited tech they were running on. Honestly Minecraft and Proteus are the closest I can think of, and again, No Man's Sky is still quite a leap.

I disagree that real time is that impressive either.

Whether the game loads up a big array of tree locations and renders nearby ones, or uses the RNG seed for the universe to see how many trees might be nearby and renders them, it's really not going to take all that much longer.

Minecraft is slow because Notch is really not a pro coder and its engine is slow, and because new chunks are created going all the way from the sky to the floor of the world and immediately saved to disk. When all you're doing is defining the shape of a landscape and dotting it with rocks and trees, it's really not a huge deal to do in real time.

ironcreed

Banned
Getting bomba vibes from this game, great looking game in a 3 minute demo, looks boring as hell for a long-term play. Hope I'm wrong.

Depends on the person. To me, it looks like something with infinite replay value like Minecraft and I will go back to it for years when I want to get my space explorer fix.

Being able to enter the atmosphere of planets and land, explore massive worlds, name the ones I discover and then fly right out of the atmosphere back into space where I can have battles, explore space stations, etc. All as I salvage, upgrade and make my way to new worlds. The game has massive hit written all over it, if you ask me.

Verger

Banned
I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me how this is going to be any different than Spore.

They're almost the same game entirely down to the "get to the center of the galaxy" ultimate goal.

hawk2025

I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me how this is going to be any different than Spore.

They're almost the same game entirely down to the "get to the center of the galaxy" ultimate goal.

Well, for one, you can actually watch this video to see that, no, they are not even close to being almost the same game.

Depends on the person. To me, it looks like something with infinite replay value like Minecraft and I will go back to it for years when I want to get my space explorer fix.

To be fair, people don't infinitely replay Minecraft simply to load up a random world seed and just walk.

They play to build, and to mod on PC, to edit in huge pixel art creations and working computers with redstone and such.

I'd wager that very few people simply walk.

jwk94

This opinion doesn't fly. You could say the same thing about every other game. Millions every year buy COD, people are still buying Minecraft. The thing is if a person can't get excited about exploring endlessly freely then just maybe the game isn't for them. But again, the game has more then just exploring.

But both of those games have a heavy social aspect. You can play those games with friends locally or online. No Man's Sky, you're basically alone.

RiverKwai

The first 3/4 of Spore have nothing to do with space travel, so no - it's not "almost the same game entirely".

JimmyJones

Banned
I made a GIF ( just before GAF went down briefly) of the part where I think is evidence of some terrain deformation

A4wBwjv.gif

Definitely looks it

The ground stayed the exact same but a rock appeared and rolled down the hill.

ironcreed

Banned
To be fair, people don't infinitely replay Minecraft simply to load up a random world seed and just walk.

They play to build, and to mod on PC, to edit in huge pixel art creations and working computers with redstone and such.

I'd wager that very few people simply walk.

Well, thankfully there is more to do here than walk. I think the sense of discovery and traveling around the galaxy finding new worlds, upgrading and surviving will make it replayable for years.

todahawk

Much of the music that 65days produce for No Man's Sky will ultimately be released as a record "proper" to accompany, and in its own way promote, the release of the game (which is still very much TBC, date wise). These tracks are locked-in-place creations that will remain unchanged, and are set to feature in the game at semi-scripted moments. But while working through what elements to turn into finished cuts and which to set to one side, 65days were careful to collect every "scrap" for a very special purpose: so that they could become part of the game's persistently generative ambient soundtrack, overseen by audio director Paul Weir.

They've said there will be a regular soundtrack too. Portal 2 managed to have a soundtrack.

tumblr_mdby6ei2F11r6uwou.gif

Interesting. Maybe a visual cue that it's already been visited? We know there's other classes of stars because Sean has said how it affects what's on a given planet and also it's distance from the star.

I saw one star that was absolutely massive compared to the others nearby, can't wait to explore a system like that.

Gonna crack my copy of the art/sci-fi book Expedition open tonight.

Danlord

The ground stayed the exact same but a rock appeared and rolled down the hill.

It's a bit hard to see the ground though because of the dense foliage covering the small hole it would create after he shot from the starter gun.

He also turns away from it almost straight after the shot too.

RiverKwai

I made a GIF ( just before GAF went down briefly) of the part where I think is evidence of some terrain deformation

He uh, shoots a hole through a skyscraper sized boulder with his multi-tool, and straight out says that you can use it to create caves and etc. if you want. I think that's even better evidence of terrain deformation. :)

It was already confirmed that the whole environment was destructible. I wouldn't worry about the ground not being destructible.

JimmyJones

Banned
This is before the weapon upgrade that we see a little later in the video. Perhaps the ground can be deformed better with higher power weaponry?

Yeah I just seen that there. So we could just start digging straight down Minecraft style?

Danlord

He uh, shoots a hole through a skyscraper sized boulder with his multi-tool, and straight out says that you can use it to create caves and etc. if you want. I think that's even better evidence of terrain deformation. :)

Yeah I heard that but I didn't want to think it was just "limited" to caves which would consist of rocks, the terrain deformation I'm thinking of here and what the GIF I think is showing is the the entire planet surface rather than select areas.

viveks86

How tall is the player? Looks about 4 feet tall…

I wasn't expecting him to say we can take down the entire space station and make tons of money.

Also loved how he casually mentioned that other traders flying in could be AI... or other players.

Well, thankfully there is more to do here than walk. I think the sense of discovery and traveling around the galaxy finding new worlds, upgrading and surviving will make it replayable for years.

I know there's a little more to do, but exploration by yourself is still the primary focus. The primary thrust of the game is hitting random world in minecraft and walking around, picking up plants and killing animals.

Certainly, there is a lot less to do than in Minecraft, and it lacks most of the features that keep people coming back to Minecraft constantly - getting together on a server and building huge awesome structures, tons of crafting and interaction with various objects. Modding to Feed the Beast, that sort of thing.

I'm not saying it will definitely be bad or anything, but I don't think there's any denying that the primary focus of the game is simply exploring by yourself, cataloging flora and fauna, but not a lot on the interactivity/creativity side of things.

JimmyJones

Banned
That is definitely not how I will play this game. Why bunker down on 1 single planet when you have a whole universe to explore? We have Minecraft for that.

You could fly to some obscure planet halfway into the galaxy and set up home base somewhere deep underground? Will there be lava or water underground? I would still explore the rest of the galaxy but it would be nice to have a home base to return to.

RiverKwai

Interesting. Maybe a visual cue that it's already been visited? We know there's other classes of stars because Sean has said how it affects what's on a given planet and also it's distance from the star.

I saw one star that was absolutely massive compared to the others nearby, can't wait to explore a system like that.

Can anyone tell if there's LOD on the galactic map? I was watching on my phone using the IGN player, so I couldn't really tell - but maybe you can't see details like star color/size etc until you get to within a certain distance of them on the map?

Top Bottom