• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky - 18 minute uninterrupted gameplay demo

Gurish

Yeah it's "targeting" 60fps.

Like how Naughty Dog have to say they're "targeting" 60 for U4 Multiplayer due to some legal stuff, No Man's Sky is "targeting" 60FPS. It has to also for VR support
Didn't mean it as a snarky comment, I genuinely asked this cause I was sure it was suppose to be a 30 fps game this whole time :)

Harmen

I do not like the idea of having procedurally generated worlds, but this vid did look kind of cool. Good to know that there is at least some sort of closure to those who seek it by reaching the center of the galaxy.

A few questions to those following the game:
-Will there be any big/dangerous predators in the game? Like some badass T-rex-like creature suddenly attacking you on a abandoned planet somewhere?
-Do all planets have these sentinels governing "abandoned" planets? Or are there also planets devoid of technology and such?

RiverKwai

I do not like the idea of having procedurally generated worlds, but this vid did look kind of cool. Good to know that there is at least some sort of closure to those who seek it by reaching the center of the galaxy.

-Will there be any big/dangerous predators in the game? Like some badass T-rex-like creature suddenly attacking you on a abandoned planet somewhere?
-Do all planets have these sentinels governing "abandoned" planets? Or are there also planets devoid of technology and such?

Yes there will be large/dangerous predators. Land and water have been shown. Maybe air too. Unsure. :)

Not all planets will have sentinels.

Fantomas

Watched about 7 minutes, didn't want to spoil too much of it for myself.

This is seriously a dream game come true for me.

Yes, there are bigger creatures, that can attack you-
And no, those sentinels are not in every solarsystem.

Edit:Neogaf too slow, beaten by RiverKwai

viveks86

Well…

no%20man's%20takeoff.gif

Not all

PSY・S;171084800 said:

Can you fight space pirates or humanoid enemies on foot on planets? Because it would be cool to have this Battlefield-like destructible cover to hide behind while the pew-pew commences.

kiguel182

The game is so overwhelming. The size of it all really is intimidating but I guess that's part of the experience. You can walk weeks on a planet! Weeks! And there are millions and millions of those. Just crazy.

Right now I'm really interested in what lore they built there. Sean talked about relics and man, I hope there are some ancient builds to explore and that you can gather clues to some story or something. That is the one thing I hope it has to make this the perfect experience.

The draw distance being short is unfortunate but I think I can deal with that given every thing the game has.

Also, why are there space stations on undiscovered planets? That part still confuses me.

RiverKwai

exiting/entering planets with the ship looks too fakey, atmosphere is too thin.

It's gameplay reasons. This isn't a sim. The object is to get you from space to the ground quickly. And vice-versa. I'm actually thankful of this, since I'm probably going to be doing hundreds+ landings. Last thing I want is to be doing some re-entry thing over and over again.

I would like to see more of that as well. It looked a bit like it was just hiding a load screen.

It's a seamless transition, how can it look like it's hiding a loading screen?

todahawk

Can anyone tell if there's LOD on the galactic map? I was watching on my phone using the IGN player, so I couldn't really tell - but maybe you can't see details like star color/size etc until you get to within a certain distance of them on the map?

Hard to say, I've watched the 1080p vid full screen and after watching it a few times I'm seeing different colored stars here and there. I've seen yellow and orange stars and definitely saw the green one you mentioned. There's a particularly vivid yellow star at 16m:19s. The colors were apparent the second I saw them but not like that's conclusive.

Yup, this looks amazing for me. Day one.

Is the galactic map available from the start of the game? I don't see why you can't just warp to the galaxy located closest to the center of the galaxy and get there in a few minutes.

legacyzero

Banned
PSY・S;171084800 said:
Tickles my old Red Faction nostalgia.

DIE MINERRR

Can we stop this? I felt early on when the game was initially unveiled it was a valid question based on what they presented. People wouldn't have asked it so much if it wasn't.
Its not a valid question though IMO. they were very clear about what this game is/does. People cant seem to process it because it's not holding their hands on a linear path with objectives. Its taking a minimalist, hands-off approach with subtle lore. Some I know you of all people understand.

Thats why there's so much sarcasm around the question, because people arent taking the time to read OPs.

Also, Sean has been VERY clear that there are questions that he simply wont answer, to maintain mystery. That said, people are STILL asking it.

It's a seamless transition, how can it look like it's hiding a loading screen?

The way entering and exiting atmosphere flashes to white seems to be when it transitions between the "far away" version of the planet and the "close up" version. It's not a fluid load-in of assets, it looks like a binary change of states.

Still effective and impressive, but this demo is the first one where I felt like I'm starting to see the strings.

RiverKwai

Yup, this looks amazing for me. Day one.

Is the galactic map available from the start of the game? I don't see why you can't just warp to the galaxy located closest to the center of the galaxy and get there in a few minutes.

You can only travel as far as your hyperdrive will allow. Which for the most part is not very far. Sean's basically been showing off the game in "god mode" so you can get a sense of scale.

mario_O

It's gameplay reasons. This isn't a sim. The object is to get you from space to the ground quickly. And vice-versa. I'm actually thankful of this, since I'm probably going to be doing hundreds+ landings. Last thing I want is to be doing some re-entry thing over and over again.

Well, for me it kills some of the immersion. I think a more realistic and changing atmosphere could add to the gameplay; imagine flying through a thunderstorm not knowing what you'll find on the surface.

PSY・S;171084800 said:

So... I can sculpt anything on rocks?
And let's say another player arrives to my planet, he could witness any of my creations?
If that is so, I will sculpt a whole planet of dicks to scare potential invaders.

camac002

I guess people complaining about the framerate have never used IGN's craptacular player before.

Didn't mean it as a snarky comment, I genuinely asked this cause I was sure it was suppose to be a 30 fps game this whole time :)

Yep. Definitely going for 60fps on PS4. There's quite a few on here who didn't realise.

You can only travel as far as your hyperdrive will allow. Which for the most part is not very far. Sean's basically been showing off the game in "god mode" so you can get a sense of scale.
I see, thanks for clarifying!

Well, for me it kills some of the immersion. I think a more realistic and changing atmosphere could add to the gameplay; imagine flying through a thunderstorm not knowing what you'll find on the surface.
Well, that would be awesome!

One of the things I hope they don't mess up are the trophies. This game could have some fun trophies that pose a nice challenge and in turn make the game more interesting, or some shit ones like "discover 30 new creatures" or "swim for 30 minutes" that don't bring anything new to the game.

My "journey" will end when I get the Platinum trophy, not when I reach the center of the universe.

daveo42

Banned
Tickles my old Red Faction nostalgia.

DIE MINERRR

Its not a valid question though IMO. they were very clear about what this game is/does. People cant seem to process it because it's not holding their hands on a linear path with objectives. Its taking a minimalist, hands-off approach with subtle lore. Some I know you of all people understand.

Thats why there's so much sarcasm around the question, because people arent taking the time to read OPs.

Also, Sean has been VERY clear that there are questions that he simply wont answer, to maintain mystery. That said, people are STILL asking it.

DEATH TO MINERS!

God I'm glad someone else remembers that game. So many good memories. So many miners.

I'm glad he's hold back on some details, btw. I want to be surprised exploring the universe and figuring things out as I go. That's what makes this game so special to me. Here's a universe, go explore it and make your own stories.

Danlord

I'm hoping post release they can work on that. Maybe make it a little more detailed and have things crumbling a bit.
It's supposed to look like that, since they're using voxels. Increasing the density would be far more taxing to generate tiny chunks per piece

RiverKwai

The way entering and exiting atmosphere flashes to white seems to be when it transitions between the "far away" version of the planet and the "close up" version. It's not a fluid load-in of assets, it looks like a binary change of states.

Still effective and impressive, but this demo is the first one where I felt like I'm starting to see the strings.

LOD change has always been sudden in atmospheric entry videos. Not sure what you're talking about as far as what's different in this video? It is a binary change of states from low detail to medium detail, to high detail when you land. It's not anything remotely resembling a hidden "loading screen" tho.

Draw distance could be better, yes, but the game's tech is incredible. Unless there's another real-time procedurally generated game with better graphics?

Eh it looks like a low fi mix of outtera and space engine, but with some rpg mechanics and gameplay mechanics added to it.

The tech itself has been done before and yes with prettier graphics.

Go download outtera and check it out, the sense of scale is also better in it planet wise, the planet in the OP's video seems more like a scale version of the real thing (similar to KSP)

Really want to see a dead, uninhabitable planet at this point. Something where the player lands and it's just pure silence. That and a crazy extreme weather planet. I hope they touch on both sides of the spectrum and didn't lean on the middle ground worlds as much as the demos indicate.

viveks86

Still unclear about the level of persistence in the game. Is terrain/rock deformation persistent? Or does it become persistent once you upload that data to the beacon? How would other players get to see it otherwise? And if the terrain is all drawn procedurally, what happens to the deformed terrain if I walk a few hundred yards and then come back?

Or would this rock reset after moving some distance?

smSeFfb.gif

If so, I can see people farming the heck out of this.

LOD change has always been sudden in atmospheric entry videos. Not sure what you're talking about as far as what's different in this video? It's not anything remotely resembling a hidden "loading screen".

I misspoke, not a load "screen", but a state change. LOD loads greater detail the closer you get to geometry and objects, and that's present of course. What I am seeing here is a binary state of "far away" and "in atmo" for the planet.

Think of it this way: The game doesn't need to hold the higher-detail planet in memory, and only does so when you cross that threshold where the screen flashes white as you enter the atmosphere.

Ledhead

While the game looks a little rough around the edges tech wise, the sheer scope is mindblowing. I couldn't believe it when he zoomed out on the galactic map.

Top Bottom