• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky gets released like, soon, I guess ¯\_()_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I should have made that clearer. I went from using caves literally to using them metaphorically. I'd consider diving deep into the ocean and digging down to find caves as the same metaphor. Looking out across the ocean would be a different matter though.

I asked you in particular because yesterday I asked you a question, and that question was related to this. I deleted it though. I saw you as introverted and a deep thinker based on your replies about what you wanted to do in the game.

Ah, I see! Thanks!

It's an interesting perspective to look at the game that way.

I'm just hoping that my starter planet is interesting. I'm very curious about the different stars in the game. Sean said that there were stars based off of our own universe, and stars they created for the game.

Do we know how space to planet transitions work? In every video they just zip in and out. IIRC there aren't any orbital mechanics in this game, when you fly in space, you fly in a straight line. But if you fly close to the ground of a planet, you follow its curvature? How high can I fly while following the curvature of a planet? Can I hover at any height?

Muzicfreq

Banned
Do we know how space to planet transitions work? In every video they just zip in and out. IIRC there aren't any orbital mechanics in this game, when you fly in space, you fly in a straight line. But if you fly close to the ground of a planet, you follow its curvature? How high can I fly while following the curvature of a planet? Can I hover at any height?

The planets are flat

/flat earth
/s

Plasmids

I don't believe that HG has said anything about regular ship repairs being necessary. That repair directive is probably part of the process by which player's leave their starting planet.

Mmmmmm well I was hoping for a bit of depth with regards to maintaining your ship etc.

No matter though I shall just wander the universe anyway I suppose.

I have my fingers crossed for this game, I feel it's just what I need to scratch my space traveller itch.

TEJ

To me the game is the most fascinating of the gen so it's a day 1 purchase.

I'm really excited about getting lost and exploring, and creating my own fun.

This game is something similar to a game idea I had as a child but thought impossible. I'm rather excited to play this game.

Minamu

No, I bet that there is at least one planet in our universe that's a carbon copy of Earth.

That, or every habitable planet will look like inland California or Vancouver.
There is probably an exact copy of Earth somewhere, people and animals etc all included. Given the size of both the observable universe and the universe at large, it seems pretty likely, mathematically :) Or in some sort of parallell universe/dimension.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Ah, I see! Thanks!

It's an interesting perspective to look at the game that way.

I'm just hoping that my starter planet is interesting. I'm very curious about the different stars in the game. Sean said that there were stars based off of our own universe, and stars they created for the game.

Would you restart if the planet was barren?

Vire

The gaping hole in your post is that Sean hasn't said WHY we're doing it. THAT is the hook for me.
Eh, that seems like you are setting yourself for dissapointment, some false hope that there's a lot more to the game than there actually appears to be. I mean I hope you are right though? The expectations I'm going in with is that hopefully the exploring will be enough for me, I'm just concerned about how interesting that will stay after the 10th, 15th, 20th planet when there isn't much in the way of anything to give me drive to push on.

We don't really know yet, unfortunately. They've usually showed players boosting in and out of the atmosphere just so they don't linger too much, but there is some possibility that there is an invisible sphere/limit of sorts (pure speculation though), so that you actually have to boost in or out to enter/leave the atmosphere. I don't really think that's the case (at least I hope it's not), and I think I've seen a video of someone very slowly gliding forward at very high altitude (but still below cloud level I think), but I'm not really sure.

Vexidus

I feel like the starting planets will be tuned to foster basically an ideal environment for your first planet. Something fairly comfortable to get you going, then once you leave, anything goes.

Or am I wrong and could conceivably start the game and immediately be in danger due to really harsh conditions?

I feel like the starting planets will be tuned to foster basically an ideal environment for your first planet. Something fairly comfortable to get you going, then once you leave, anything goes.

Or am I wrong and could conceivably start the game and immediately be in danger due to really harsh conditions?

u wrong

bounchfx

The gaping hole in your post is that Sean hasn't said WHY we're doing it. THAT is the hook for me.
There probably is no why.

If there was something larger to this game you bet your ass Sony would be shouting it to high heaven. Either that or they're really really good at keeping secrets. Remains to be seen, but I feel like if there was anything really huge gameplay wise left, they would want to use it to sell the game

MikeyB

Is that the first thing you'll do? The first thing I'll do is find those caves. I do take your point though because I'm also into walking and a huge part of that is to find a less busy space. I suppose that's the difference between discover and escape. I am inspired by both but have to be honest and say escape is the greater motive. Escape in the sense of finding room to think.
Nope.

I am going to fly away from the first planet I see for about five minutes, turn around, take a screenshot, and then (since I have a preorder ship) warp out of the system without landing.

It is very unlikely anyone will visit that planet in the outer rim of a galaxy. I'm like Sarah MacLaughlin and building a mystery.

ymgve

I hope you can start a new game in a different random location in the game so you're not stuck if you start on the Deathplanet of Acid-Godzillabeasts

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I like the cut of your jib.

What's your PSN tag? I'd like to add you to my friends list, and subscribe to your newsletter.

My PSN tag is as you see here (unfortunately), but be warned, I'm as I described above. I seek out caves and solitude so tend to play alone. I have my PS4 set to show me offline most of the time and only turn it on now and then just to see if anyone cares ...

I don't have a newsletter. :)

Starting me out on a planet that instantly kills me would be a great way to have me try out Steam refunds.

This happened to my wife and I when we first played "The Forest" together, I was like damn this game is serious business and now we have a giant ass triple lined wall with traps everywhere but are still too scared to venture outside much haha but no it didn't warrant a refund in this case, I've tried some other games and a few minutes in you just new it was a scam or completely shit, everytime I request a refund I mention a demo would help solve a ton of problems. Most "let's plays" are a farce too so you really can't get a good feel for games now unless you try it yourself sadly.

OmegaDL50

The quintessential Idiot No Man's Sky Detractor

2c2c5520f4d746adbe08dzpsx5.jpg

Where is this from?

It's speaks a lot of a person who judges a game based on it's download size.

Was he one of those folks that also assumed Skyrim had a small game world because it also without it's expansion content is a mere 6GB as well?

Foolish!

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Nope.

I am going to fly away from the first planet I see for about five minutes, turn around, take a screenshot, and then (since I have a preorder ship) warp out of the system without landing.

It is very unlikely anyone will visit that planet in the outer rim of a galaxy. I'm like Sarah MacLaughlin and building a mystery.

Cheat! I'm going to fight my way off that first planet and feel superior!

E92 M3

Cheat! I'm going to fight my way off that first planet and feel superior!

I am fairly confident that all preorder ships have to be picked up at the first space station. Getting off the initial planet will probably require the players to repair the ship that is crashed on the planet.

That is my guess.

Plumpman

No matter how good or bad any individual aspect of the game is, just the fact that I can see a planet, take off, then land on said planet all seamlessly seems absolutely amazing to me. Worth the price of entry alone!

Lady Gaia

It is fascinating, I mean with that many planets, how will they make sure you even meet a race or find a space station or how do they decide where crashed spacehsips are?

Starting with a single 64-but value it is straightforward to generate a pseudorandom sequence. Each value will have no obvious connection to the others, they'll look just like evenly distributed numbers generated by any other means (rolling dice, pulling numbers from a hat, using lotto balls, pick your favorite,)

Now that you have as many apparently random numbers as you want that can be recreated identically at any time from the same seed, it's up to the developer how they want to interpret them. Want to set a rule that says one in twenty planets have an orbiting space station? One in five chance of a breathable atmosphere? One in ten have meaningful lifeforms? Whatever thresholds the developer settles on are trivial to establish as interpretations of your "random" numbers. You can even bias them based on other factors (more variety closer to the center of the galaxy and/r universe? Go for it!)

legacyzero

Banned
Eh, that seems like you are setting yourself for dissapointment, some false hope that there's a lot more to the game than there actually appears to be. I mean I hope you are right though? The expectations I'm going in with is that hopefully the exploring will be enough for me, I'm just concerned about how interesting that will stay after the 10th, 15th, 20th planet when there isn't much in the way of anything to give me drive to push on.

There probably is no why.

If there was something larger to this game you bet your ass Sony would be shouting it to high heaven. Either that or they're really really good at keeping secrets. Remains to be seen, but I feel like if there was anything really huge gameplay wise left, they would want to use it to sell the game
I mean, if you're drinking from a half-empty cup of cynicism, not much can be said to convince you.

I was that way for Minecraft. Then I played it. It destroyed me for WEEKS. And that game was only $25. Yet it more than earned $60 worth of my time. And the scope of NMS is arguably larger.

Starbound. Same thing. Even my Wife got wildly addicte to it..

Sometimes you just have to let the game prove that it's worth it.

MattyG

Banned
The fact that stores already have copies and they have to hold them for another week and a half is killing me. Just push it up, Sony/Hello Games. PLS.

E92 M3

If I find an early copy, it would definitely be bought. Also have an LE coming from Amazon.

Crossing my fingers nothing goes wrong with that shipment.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
And I'm going to use my preorder credits to upgrade my ship early and go full space pirate. I won't land until I have to.

Explorer is how I'm going to play initially. I might bank my units until much later in the game and treat myself to a fighter just to experience that side of the game for a while but not for long. I want everyone to love me.

I am fairly confident that all preorder ships have to be picked up at the first space station. Getting off the initial planet will probably require the players to repair the ship that is crashed on the planet.

That is my guess.

That would be great! but not for Mike ... nnmMwaa,ha,ha,ha ... tt ...tt HA,HA ... mmm.

With my imagination? Heck no.

I'd just put myself in a Pitch Black scenario for a bit.

Finding a crazy looking populated planet is going to be a wonderful moment but it really only depends on how immersive and pliable you are with your roleplay.

Same here. I want a whole lot of nothing so that something will feel like a hell of a lot.

I also might get a notebook/logbook in order to keep a physical log of my route, the events of my travels, points of interest and "danger zones." Who knows it might come in handy at some point. It would at least be cool for my kids or grandkids to read through someday.

I don't believe that HG has said anything about regular ship repairs being necessary. That repair directive is probably part of the process by which player's leave their starting planet.

I'll refer back to the ole "Sean has said there's tons of things they're holding back" line and hope that you're wrong on that. I think it would add much more depth to the "Survive" tentpole when in space if ships had individual damageable parts.

I feel like the problem is there no larger hook the game. Yes, I can travel and explore new planets and collect resources, but to what end? Why?

If there was some sort of central, social area that you could hyperdrive to at any time, where you could bring back the resources you collected and build bases/whatnot and interact with other players.

It feels like you want a narrative reason to explore planets and trade and interact with factions and fight off pirates and survive. The point of the game is to make your own narrative with all the gameplay mechanics and the endless frontier of the universe. It's totally fair if that doesn't strike a chord with you. Plenty of people who want a narrative-driven game or want to shoot things with their friends won't find this type of game compelling. This game attracts people who went into a forest when they were kids and created adventures for themselves.

“We need the tonic of wildness...At the same time that we are earnest to explore and learn all things, we require that all things be mysterious and unexplorable, that land and sea be indefinitely wild, unsurveyed and unfathomed by us because unfathomable. We can never have enough of nature.”
– Henry David Thoreau

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I also might get a notebook/logbook in order to keep a physical log of my route, the events of my travels, points of interest and "danger zones." Who knows it might come in handy at some point. It would at least be cool for my kids or grandkids to read through someday.

iam8bit just revealed that this is the final item included with the Explorer's Edition.

arKZe6q.png

I'm pretty pumped.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Would you restart if the planet was barren?

Nah. I'd just roll with what I was given. A barren planet should be rich in resources, so I'd mine as much as I could, upgrade my storage capacity, and then sell it at a high price. I don't plan on playing as a trader, but I'll definitely keep and eye out for rare materials that are worth some units. I'm probably leaning towards the Explorer class; visiting different planets, cataloging the flora and fauna, uploading the information to the Atlas, and getting units that way. I also plan on learning as much of an alien language as I can. I have no desire to do any piracy stuff, or wiping out species, or anything destructive. I plan on not pissing off the other sentient species, but I imagine that's going to piss off one of them sooner or later. I just want to observe, collect, and share data. I'm really looking forward to creating the photo thread. I can't wait to see what everybody else discovers.

iam8bit just revealed that this is the final item included with the Explorer's Edition.

arKZe6q.png

I'm pretty pumped.

Well wow, I had no idea lol. That is awesome.

While I did not grab an explorers edition, I used to make and sell handcrafted leather journals though so I can probably put something nice together for myself. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom