• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky gets released like, soon, I guess ¯\_()_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.
iam8bit just revealed that this is the final item included with the Explorer's Edition.

arKZe6q.png

I'm pretty pumped.
Damn Nd here I am with a regular dollar store notebook with no man's sky written on the cover in marker...

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Nah. I'd just roll with what I was given. A barren planet should be rich in resources, so I'd mine as much as I could, upgrade my storage capacity, and then sell it at a high price. I don't plan on playing as a trader, but I'll definitely keep and eye out for rare materials that are worth some units. I'm probably leaning towards the Explorer class; visiting different planets, cataloging the flora and fauna, uploading the information to the Atlas, and getting units that way. I also plan on learning as much of an alien language as I can. I have no desire to do any piracy stuff, or wiping out species, or anything destructive. I plan on not pissing off the other sentient species, but I imagine that's going to piss of one of them sooner or later. I just want to observe, collect, and share data. I'm really looking forward to creating the photo thread. I can't wait to see what everybody else discovers.

Good. A friend once asked me why I was the way I was and I said (some would say pretentiously) 'I'm a feather on the breeze while you're a bullet from a gun'.

Watching for reviews on this (not first few days reviews, as they are always hyperbolic and pointless) as I want it to be good but suspect it's going to be a massive disappointment.

Luckily I'd get it on PC so the few days delay will save me from getting caught up in the hype and any delusion that may ensue from people who can't face the truth lol.

Will be following the threads closely looking for signs of reality hitting home, if there are none (or few), I'm in!

OmegaDL50

Watching for reviews on this (not first few days reviews, as they are always hyperbolic and pointless) as I want it to be good but suspect it's going to be a massive disappointment.

Luckily I'd get it on PC so the few days delay will save me from getting caught up in the hype and any delusion that may ensue from people who can't face the truth lol.

Will be following the threads closely looking for signs of reality hitting home, if there are none (or few), I'm in!

Sounds more like you already made up your mind.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital

That's going to be difficult to decide though. Just because 70% of people say it's boring or repetitive doesn't mean it's not a game you would love.

And what OmegaDL50 said.

Aenima

The game can have the worst reviews ever. From what i have seen, im going to have a blast with it.

Vire

I'll refer back to the ole "Sean has said there's tons of things they're holding back" line and hope that you're wrong on that. I think it would add much more depth to the "Survive" tentpole when in space if ships had individual damageable parts.

It feels like you want a narrative reason to explore planets and trade and interact with factions and fight off pirates and survive. The point of the game is to make your own narrative with all the gameplay mechanics and the endless frontier of the universe. It's totally fair if that doesn't strike a chord with you. Plenty of people who want a narrative-driven game or want to shoot things with their friends won't find this type of game compelling. This game attracts people who went into a forest when they were kids and created adventures for themselves.

“We need the tonic of wildness...At the same time that we are earnest to explore and learn all things, we require that all things be mysterious and unexplorable, that land and sea be indefinitely wild, unsurveyed and unfathomed by us because unfathomable. We can never have enough of nature.”
– Henry David Thoreau
Less so of a narrative element, (although that wouldn't hurt my interest) and moreso some sort of a social capacity. Like I said, bringing back your resources to a central over world hub point where you can trade, build, work together and interact with other players would be really interesting to me. It would give incentive to do the endless grinding for items.

I think that's actually something Pokemon Go did fairly well in that, yes you can explore the world and catch Pokemon, but you can also go to lure stops and gyms to use the Pokemon you caught and to interact with others, giving purpose to the catching and rewarding you with social interaction.

Not that this game has to be that, I just think it would be neat and an asset to the game. I think it's also a huge reason on why Minecraft is so successful.

The thought of being alone, never running into other players, only collecting resources to further your own self meaningless progress doesn't sound particularly interesting to me. Similiarly p, I think it's missing a huge pull in social games which is the bragging element, (look how much cooler my ship is than yours, it's why I invested hundreds of hours in getting it). (Eve Online).

I guess I just feel it's a missed opportunity to constantly have the player so isolated from everything else around them.

GHG

Less so of a narrative element, (although that wouldn't hurt my interest) and moreso some sort of a social capacity. Like I said, bringing back your resources to a central over world hub point where you can trade, build, work together and interact with other players would be really interesting to me. It would give incentive to do the endless grinding for items.

I think that's actually something Pokemon Go did fairly well in that, yes you can explore the world and catch Pokemon, but you can also go to lure stops and gyms to use the Pokemon you caught and to interact with others, giving purpose to the catching and rewarding you with social interaction.

Not that this game has to be that, I just think it would be neat and an asset to the game. I think it's also a huge reason on why Minecraft is so successful.

The thought of being alone, never running into other players, only collecting resources to further your own self meaningless progress doesn't sound particularly interesting to me. Similiarly p, I think it's missing a huge pull in social games which is the bragging element, (look how much cooler my ship is than yours, it's why I invested hundreds of hours in getting it). (Eve Online).

I guess I just feel it's a missed opportunity to constantly have the player so isolated from everything else around them.

So in summary: "this game isn't what I want it to be"

Why are so many people wasting so much energy talking or complaining about a game that isn't for them? What is it about that game that is causing people to behave like this en masse? I really don't get it.

Did Sean kill the village dog or something?

OmegaDL50

Is it a missed opportunity if that isolation is what the developers intended for the player?

I mean if social interactivity was one of the pivotal aspects of the game, you think Hello Games would have stressed upon and emphasized along with the marketing.

Why are so many people wasting so much energy talking or complaining about a game that isn't for them? What is it about that game that is causing people to behave like this en masse? I really don't get it.

It's a niche game that's being confused with one that has mass appeal because of the cool hook.

Vire

Did my post sound hostile? Kill the village dog?

I don't understand the No Man's Sky community, the defenders are some of the most aggressive people I've ever encountered on gaming side. I wasn't even criticizing the game, I just was explaining what I thought personally was missing for me to be a day one purchase.

OmegaDL50

I think it's a fair point to judge a game on the things it has and what it's trying to accomplish along the lines of the developers vision for it's audience, rather than criticize it for the things it's not trying to do.

Hello Games has never claimed or promised that No Man's Sky to have a narrative or story driven focus. So I would not expect more than the proposed concepts of Explore, Fight, Trade, and Survive.

Now there is nothing wrong criticizing the individual aspects of those proposed features. IF the fighting mechanics are poor, then judge away. It's an advertised point, if the advertised Fighting is lackluster it should be rightfully criticized for it, as well as any other claimed things the advertising the game says to have.

Criticizing it for things that was never a given or that just isn't there. There is no point.

Do we have any idea if they are going to restart the servers or we so everything is new and we dont run into anything we've seen from the trailers, or is that just to insignificant to care about?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Do we have any idea if they are going to restart the servers or we so everything is new and we dont run into anything we've seen from the trailers, or is that just to insignificant to care about?

The seed is on the disc. The universe we experience will be a blank slate and free from any tampering prior to release. In my opinion, none of what we've seen so far will exist.

OmegaDL50

This isn't relevant, should I have brought it up in the PM but whatever.

Hey Muzicfreq, if you have any Disgaea 5 related questions.

I created the OT along with some fine folks for the game and the information is comprehensive, It's much more in depth then the thread I basically abandoned over at the official NIS forums.

Muzicfreq

Banned
This isn't relevant, should I have brought it up in the PM but whatever.

Hey Muzicfreq, if you have any Disgaea 5 related questions.

I created the OT along with some fine folks for the game and the information is comprehensive, It's much more in depth then the thread I basically abandoned over at the official NIS forums.

Again I thank you. I shall look more into it.

I think the social aspect of No Man's Sky will take place outside of the game – sharing discoveries (weird creatures, cool ship you bought, etc) on PSN, Twitter, or GAF. I think the viral aspect will definitely be there. What would having an in-game social hub give you? How would that make the primary game experience better?

You call progress in this game "meaningless" and I guess I just don't see it that way. The meaning is entirely subjective and based on the goals and narrative you make for yourself. If this game was going to have massive player interaction, it would need to be a much different game both narratively and in gameplay mechanics in order for those player interactions to make sense. But that's just not what Hello wanted it to be.

While the PC Explorer's Edition looks neat, I feel like I'll enjoy this more on the PS4 which is something I never say. Looks like a good game to play after work with a beer on the couch.

You know I don't trust Amazon to deliver this to me on time lol. I may go digital

Doesn't really fall on Amazon most of the time. I used to get my packages from them at 8 AM sharp. Last year, I moved less than a mile away and now my packages come around 5 PM. :\
I feel your pain, though. I might go digital just to have it ASAP.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Can you really even spoil this game? Didn't Sean say that 99.9% of planets will never even been discovered.

You're forgetting the features which are not procedural but are a mainstay of the overall structure of the game. Those need spoiler tagging for certain. For instance, what if we can build a farm? I don't want to know that.

Did my post sound hostile? Kill the village dog?

I don't understand the No Man's Sky community, the defenders are some of the most aggressive people I've ever encountered on gaming side. I wasn't even criticizing the game, I just was explaining what I thought personally was missing for me to be a day one purchase.

It's become a reflexive response after so many driveby shit-posters over the past few years of NMS threads. I agree though people are reacting way too harshly at anything that isn't effusive praise for the game.

It's fair to like the game and wish there was more. It's also fair to like the "idea" of the game but not necessarily with the direction or execution. Of course if you spent the next 4 pages arguing why NMS is bad because of those reasons, then it would be a problem ;)

I do wish there were more social components to the game at release, but I'm also looking forward to what we are getting. And for me what we're getting is good enough to be there day one. YMMV.

OmegaDL50

I wonder what the trophy list is.

Would be interesting to see it as a bunch of Hidden / Locked

So no one knows until they actually start playing.

Although of any proposed trophies to exist. There is one one I hope that is in the game is "Find the very first planet Hello Games created"

I know it's unlikely due to how many there are but it would be cool for people to go all over this fictional universe to find this essentially where's waldo planet.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I think the social aspect of No Man's Sky will take place outside of the game – sharing discoveries (weird creatures, cool ship you bought, etc) on PSN, Twitter, or GAF. I think the viral aspect will definitely be there. What would having an in-game social hub give you? How would that make the primary game experience better?

You call progress in this game "meaningless" and I guess I just don't see it that way. The meaning is entirely subjective and based on the goals and narrative you make for yourself. If this game was going to have massive player interaction, it would need to be a much different game both narratively and in gameplay mechanics in order for those player interactions to make sense. But that's just not what Hello wanted it to be.

Completely agreed. This person gets it. It is a personal experience, one to be shared with familiarity with others and their personal experiences. And the small chance of maybe, maybe finding other real world life (other players) out there, or what they left behind... that remote chance of a familiar feeling, like those who do not have proof of aliens currently among us, feel, looking for life in our own galaxy.

Vire

You're forgetting the features which are not procedural but are a mainstay of the overall structure of the game. Those need spoiler tagging for certain. For instance, what if we can build a farm? I don't want to know that.
Well, that would be a crazy thing to keep under wraps! I wanna build a farm now.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
It's become a reflexive response after so many driveby shit-posters over the past few years of NMS threads. I agree though people are reacting way too harshly at anything that isn't effusive praise for the game.

It's fair to like the game and wish there was more. It's also fair to like the "idea" of the game but not necessarily with the direction or execution. Of course if you spent the next 4 pages arguing why NMS is bad because of those reasons, then it would be a problem ;)

I do wish there were more social components to the game at release, but I'm also looking forward to what we are getting. And for me what we're getting is good enough to be there day one. YMMV.

That sounds very fair of you but here's the thing: What would be the response if I kept going into COD threads telling people how I wished it had stealth or a hunger mechanic or procedurally generated maps? How do you think that would go down? If I called it a 'missed' opportunity but instead of just accepting the game wasn't for me constantly did it in not one, not two, not three, not four, not five, not six, not seven, not eight, not nine but every No Man's Sky thread.

If you made it through that sentence to 'nine' then you should have a good idea how it begins to grate on the nerves.

http://www.operationsports.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2048307114&postcount=786

In the wild.

e5acc22bba252e3c95f75f479d43645b.jpg

Apparently, servers are live.

Plans on playing it in an hour, all through Sunday before he goes out of town.

Was about to say before your edit, dude is probably busting his ass to be first to the center.

You know I don't trust Amazon to deliver this to me on time lol. I may go digital

I'm worried about this as well. I preordered through Amazon for a 20% discount but since I'm not a prime member I'll be lucky to get it the day after release.

Pimpbaa

Eh, that seems like you are setting yourself for dissapointment, some false hope that there's a lot more to the game than there actually appears to be. I mean I hope you are right though? The expectations I'm going in with is that hopefully the exploring will be enough for me, I'm just concerned about how interesting that will stay after the 10th, 15th, 20th planet when there isn't much in the way of anything to give me drive to push on.

I put in over 800 hours in Elite Dangerous, a good portion of that exploring. And you don't even get to see life on planets in that game. You can only land on planets with no atmosphere. What drove me to play that many hours in that game? Getting better ships, getting fancy new upgrades for my ships, exploring outside human occupied space to see beautiful nebulas, massive stars, and unique looking planets, bounty hunting pirates, smuggling contraband into stations before authorities scanned my ship. And that's just what I was interested in doing in that game. Other people formed huge groups to go on long expeditions to areas of space no one has been to, play space trucker by selling and buy goods, become pirates and steal cargo from other ships.This isn't some new genre that no one has played before. People have been playing these types of games since 1984 when the first Elite game came out. While NMS may not have the social elements of Elite Dangerous, the alien life and planets in this game look like something straight out of a sci fi novel. This looks to be one of the first games in the genre that puts a focus on exploring. Not many others have done that. Is this game going to be for everyone? No, the genre is a niche genre for a reason, but people who love these type of games have a pretty good idea what to expect out of this game. If you have doubts considering all the amazing footage hey have shown us, then this game is probably not for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom