• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky gets released like, soon, I guess ¯\_()_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmegaDL50

That would mean modifying existing biomes though. It might be cleaner to do a full break in a new title. Not impossible but easier to QA imo.

What would there be to QA? The game used math based procedural generation.

Changing aspects of a Biome / terrain generation would effect how biomes load on new planets you visit and not old ones.

This how it works in Minecraft, Starbound, Terraria, and other procedurally generated games with biome changes. I don't see it being any different for No Man's Sky.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
That would mean modifying existing biomes though. It might be cleaner to do a full break in a new title. Not impossible but easier to QA imo.

No it wouldn't. There are 18 quintillion planets and what they'll do is just check for planets that haven't been discovered and populate those with the update. In this way No Man's Sky can grow constantly for years. It was mentioned in one of the talks but don't ask me where. All I remember thinking is 'knew it'.

diaspora

No it wouldn't. There are 18 quintillion planets and what they'll do is just check for planets that haven't been discovered and populate those with the update. In this way No Man's Sky can grow constantly for years. It was mentioned in one of the talks but don't ask me where. All I remember thinking is 'knew it'?
It's not a matter of just adding biomes though- that's not what I was suggesting. It was modifying the parameters of procedural generation to allow for additional biomes like polar regions, or biomes affected by gravity, or biomes affected by the length of the day/night cycle or plate tectonics.

OmegaDL50

No it wouldn't. There are 18 quintillion planets and what they'll do is just check for planets that haven't been discovered and populate those with the update. In this way No Man's Sky can grow constantly for years. It was mentioned in one of the talks but don't ask me where. All I remember thinking is 'knew it'.

Yeah adding new biome types wouldn't effect the old biome types from not working.

It just gives the game a wider selection to choose from for it's procedural generation.

This is how it worked in every other game I played that had procedural generation with biomes.

CuNi

they wouldn't even have to check, if they implemented the code in a good way.
Since the planets get "created" once you fly into the solar system and are based on the Math equation to determine which kind of biome they are, the moment you fly into a new solar system those planets get created with the most up to date version of the equation and then lock this result for the planets. So old planets cannot change anymore because they have already calculated the equation for them, but once you change the equation new planets can get different biomes since they haven't been "rolled" yet.

It was just Sean Murray's way of conveying just how big the planet was. Measuring the crosshair won't give you any where near the right size of the actual planet. In fact, I'd say the area they played in was much SMALLER than that crosshair.

I think you've misinterpreted the intention of my post ;)

My estimations based on math are a much better approximation of how big the planets are than wild (and vastly underestimated) guesses, even if Sean's crosshair example was off by a factor of 10 in either direction.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
It's not a matter of just adding biomes though- that's not what I was suggesting. It was modifying the parameters of procedural generation to allow for additional biomes like polar regions, or biomes affected by gravity, or biomes affected by the length of the day/night cycle or plate tectonics.

If they decided to enable planets to have multiple biomes, the same would apply. You have to remember that only 1% of the entire game will ever be discovered. That leaves 99% for them to do what they like with. They can keep adding to their universe so that we can keep discovering new things.

The only thing I ask from the devs is, don't tell us what those updates do.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
My estimations based on math are a much better approximation of how big the planets are than wild (and vastly underestimated) guesses, even if Sean's crosshair example was off by a factor of 10 in either direction.

That could have been a small planet or one of the biggest.

The planets are planet sized ... That's all we need to know :) Great work with the maths though. I'm crap at maths and always admire people who are good with numbers.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Quick Question: If I discover a planet and actually "name" said planet whilst playing this game offline, would it still be possible for that new name to stick for all the other players who visit that specific planet, perhaps updating the new information when I next play the game when I'm online?

It's a long question, I know. Can anyone help me out on this who has a stronger idea of how the game works? I'm very curious.

That could have been a small planet or one of the biggest. :)

...you're really missing the point of why I posted the calculations in the first place. People are talking about days or weeks to fully explore a planet. It's not going to be like that unless you find some dwarf planet or asteroid-sized moonlet. People aren't understanding how big these planets are and I'm trying to inform.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
...you're really missing the point of why I posted the calculations in the first place. People are talking about days or weeks to fully explore a planet. It's not going to be like that unless you find some dwarf planet or asteroid-sized moonlet. People aren't understanding how big these planets are and I'm trying to inform.

Oh, sorry, wrong end of the stick. It would take a lifetime.

'I'm off to see the world, dad. Back in a week'.

Aenima

Don't know if this has been answered before, but how big are the planets? How big is the area on planets that you can explore? Could you explore a whole planet?

Its huge. How really big is hard to tell. And yes u can explore an entire planet.

I ain't gonna lie Imma tune into whatever stream I get a chance to.

The idea of watching other people play this particular game to see what their experience is like is much more intriguing at the moment in comparison to any other game.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
OMG OMG OMG

How much did you watch? What can you say without being spoilerish?

I saw him literally just looking at some blue grass and around a little. Then he went into the menu and I heard the menu sounds which were great. I caught glimpses of new stuff in the menus but turned away from that before I could take them in. But it was the music and those sound effects that set that 15 seconds apart from all the other gameplay demos we've seen so far. That 15 seconds had more atmosphere than every single demo strung together. I felt as if Sean really has been holding back. This guy is talking about it but says, with a coy smile, that he doesn't have the game:

https://www.twitch.tv/jonnyenglishgaming

E92 M3

He said 15 seconds so pro the player leaving the atmosphere. Lol.

The shop by work wasn't willing to sell early :( oh well.

Every second counts!

I saw him literally just looking at some blue grass and around a little. Then he went into the menu and I heard the menu sounds which were great. I caught glimpses of new stuff in the menus but turned away from that before I could take them in. But it was the music and those sound effects that set that 15 seconds apart from all the other gameplay demos we've seen so far. That 15 seconds had more atmosphere than every single demo strung together. I felt as if Sean really has been holding back. This guy is talking about it but says, with a coy smile, that he doesn't have the game:

I want to watch, but don't want the beginning spoiled :(

Every Twitch stream length procedural.

That 15 seconds had more atmosphere than every single demo strung together.

I could imagine! After watching the interview of 64 Days of Static and Murray, all the effort put into the music probably hasn't been fully shown ever. Must've heard that procedural music going on :)

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Every Twitch stream length procedural.

I could imagine! After watching the interview of 64 Days of Static and Murray, all the effort put into the music probably hasn't been fully shown ever. Must've heard that procedural music going on :)

It might have been a little longer than 15 seconds. It's difficult to describe but it 'felt' different for some reason. There were some little red icons that I'd never seen before too but again, I deliberately tuned out from that and concentrated on the rocks and blue grass. That was when he went into the menu and 'appeared' to be adjusting something with the controls.

My duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude

E92 M3

It might have been a little longer than 15 seconds. It's difficult to describe but it 'felt' different for some reason. There were some little red icons that I'd never seen before too but again, I deliberately tuned out from that and concentrated and the rocks and blue grass. That was when he went into the menu and 'appeared' to be adjusting something with the controls.

YES! Control adjustment confirmed.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
This is one of those games where streams won't bother me. There's an unfathomable amount of things to discover in this game, that I won't mind watching another player explore a portion of the universe I will never set foot in during my journeys.

I plan on livestreaming my adventures as well when the game releases, and posting my screens in the photo thread (I already have the photo thread OP created, I'm just waiting for the 8th).

I don't care about seeing the other alien factions in the game, or even a bit of lore. I remember Sean saying that he is hoping that a community will be built up around this game, where players are cataloging and uploading and sharing their discoveries with other players. Things like recipes, resource tips, ship guides, etc, etc. Things beyond just the atlas. I find having hundreds of streams of people playing No Man's Sky isn't going to diminish my own exploration of the game. I can't fault people for wanting to go in as blind as possible, however, so I'll personally respect spoiler rules, but the photo thread is going to be a little bit looser in that regard. Share what you find is really my only big rule, but I do have some spoiler guidelines in there anyway.

Watching streams is probably going to be the only thing that gets me through the day at work. It sucks that I probably won't get NMS until the evening on the 9th (although I admit I'm tempted to buy it digitally for my wife and play on her PS4 until my copy comes in, but I'm a patient guy), and I'll only be able to play for a little bit before I have to go to bed and work the next morning. All I know is Friday August 12th is going to be a long night once I get home from work. I'll probably fall asleep with the controller in my hand. I'm ready to get lost in this vast universe.

Fedele

774.gif

I wanna stay away from this but holy shit

Fffffffffffuuuuuuu

I put in over 800 hours in Elite Dangerous, a good portion of that exploring. And you don't even get to see life on planets in that game. You can only land on planets with no atmosphere. What drove me to play that many hours in that game? Getting better ships, getting fancy new upgrades for my ships, exploring outside human occupied space to see beautiful nebulas, massive stars, and unique looking planets, bounty hunting pirates, smuggling contraband into stations before authorities scanned my ship. And that's just what I was interested in doing in that game. Other people formed huge groups to go on long expeditions to areas of space no one has been to, play space trucker by selling and buy goods, become pirates and steal cargo from other ships.This isn't some new genre that no one has played before. People have been playing these types of games since 1984 when the first Elite game came out. While NMS may not have the social elements of Elite Dangerous, the alien life and planets in this game look like something straight out of a sci fi novel. This looks to be one of the first games in the genre that puts a focus on exploring. Not many others have done that. Is this game going to be for everyone? No, the genre is a niche genre for a reason, but people who love these type of games have a pretty good idea what to expect out of this game. If you have doubts considering all the amazing footage hey have shown us, then this game is probably not for you.
This is a fantastic post and expresses my excitement for this game perfectly 👍🏽

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom