• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky Hands on impressions (Gamespot)

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
After reading multiple threads over the last year+ of time on No Man's Sky and seeing the same stuff come up over and over again that I - never once - ever had any problems imagining and thinking about and understanding i think i may have decided that NMS is going to become my new litmus test for human beings.

If i explain the concept of this game to you or show you the possibilities and your reaction is "Where's the checkpoints though? And all the NPCs? ... so like.. there's not even any dialogue in this game? So lazy." I'm kicking you the fuck out of my house.

But where's the multiplayer????

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
After reading multiple threads over the last year+ of time on No Man's Sky and seeing the same stuff come up over and over again that I - never once - ever had any problems imagining and thinking about and understanding i think i may have decided that NMS is going to become my new litmus test for human beings.

If i explain the concept of this game to you or show you the possibilities and your reaction is "Where's the checkpoints though? And all the NPCs? ... so like.. there's not even any dialogue in this game? So lazy." I'm kicking you the fuck out of my house.

Scary part is, this is so true... in the "look squirrel" society we now live in.

There is no possible way that could ever happen, because there are like 18 quintillion planets in the game (literally), and if you visited each of these planets for one second each it would take well over 584 billion years to see them all, or 42 times the age of the universe.

So no, you can't exterminate all life in the galaxy ;)

Not with THAT attitude

RiverBed

Banned
The whole "I still don't know what it is" and "what do you do" is really wearing thin. If someone is asking these questions over and over, they don't really get it.

Or they aren't looking into it and just waiting to 'answers' or more like 'convincing' which either way goes beyond the point. The objective of the game is clear, demos are clear. This is what this game is. If someone isn't interested, keep moving on.

yeah we need a catch-all no man's sky thread

Everyone is too lazy to waltz their asses over to the archive at /r/nomanssky which has all sorts of information. I posted a link on, like, the first fucking page but people don't read.

Let them be lost. They deserve to be at this point.

It was a timed exclusive, and as recently as mid-May, Sony was talking about how they were going to treat the title as a first-party title. I'm not sure what's going on there.

Yeah, also way back when (I think) it was Scott Rodhe who did an interview saying that there is no advantage to them by keeping indie developers away from other platforms, and everybody loses when that happens - and I'm pretty sure NMS was one of those games in the discussion.

I've searched for links to the interview(s), but I've been unable to find it, maybe somebody else remembers it, and they can let me know if I'm near the mark here.

Handy Fake

More impressions from the Verge, its seems that the game is actually very good.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/19/8809437/no-mans-sky-preview-e3-2015

giphy.gif

zon

Wow, just wow.

At 30 years of age I didn't think I could get excited by a coming game, but NMS has proved me wrong. This is something I'll look forward to very much!

One thing that bothers me is the management if fuel, what happens when you run out of it?
It can happen during actual space travel? Or fuel is more likely to be some sort of "per action consumable unit"? For example only landing on/taking of a planet.

One thing that bothers me is the management if fuel, what happens when you run out of it?
It can happen during actual space travel? Or fuel is more likely to be some sort of "per action consumable unit"? For example only landing on/taking of a planet.

I'm thinking it'll be similar to Elite and other space exploration/trading sims. Your ship has a limited fuel tank, its capacity depending on the engine type/class, probably connected to the type of ship you have. You spend significant amounts of fuel by making hyperjumps between solar systems. You probably also spend a much smaller amount of fuel traveling between planets, but the hyperjumps are what usually depletes your fuel tank the most. I doubt actions like landing/taking off will spend any fuel at all.

So technically you can run out of fuel only inside solar systems, and even then you'll probably always have just enough to drag yourself to a space station to refuel. In other words, you'll probably never get stranded, just temporarily stuck in one solar system until you either buy, steal or mine fuel for your next hyperjump.

BigDug13

I thought it was said that fuel is exclusively used for hyperdrive. Being out of fuel simply means no more warping. That's how I thought it was described, but I might be wrong.

Handy Fake

I thought it was said that fuel is exclusively used for hyperdrive. Being out of fuel simply means no more warping. That's how I thought it was described, but I might be wrong.

Seem to recall that. They were saying something about not having ammo/fuel management in general because it took away from the general vision of the game.

I'm not 100% sure on how it works. I always thought you had unlimited fuel to fly normally, but you needed hyperdrive fuel to be able to warp.

In other words, you'll probably never get stranded, just temporarily stuck in one solar system until you either buy, steal or mine fuel for your next hyperjump.

Seem to recall that. They were saying something about not having ammo/fuel management in general because it took away from the general vision of the game.

I'm not 100% sure on how it works. I always thought you had unlimited fuel to fly normally, but you needed hyperdrive fuel to be able to warp.

Thanks.
Makes sense, I simply was thinking about what could happen if you were stuck in space without any fuel and it wasn't a really pleasing scenario.

Thanks.
Makes sense, I simply was thinking about what could happen if you were stuck in space without any fuel and it wasn't a really pleasing scenario.

Well, even in that case, you'd probably just fall with your pod to the nearest planet and start over with gathering resources and finding a better ship.

You must've missed it, it's literally right there in the sentence. :)

either buy, steal or mine fuel for your next hyperjump.

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
There is no possible way that could ever happen, because there are like 18 quintillion planets in the game (literally), and if you visited each of these planets for one second each it would take well over 584 billion years to see them all, or 42 times the age of the universe.

yHUTUFd.jpg

amnesiac

Everyone is too lazy to waltz their asses over to the archive at /r/nomanssky which has all sorts of information. I posted a link on, like, the first fucking page but people don't read.

Let them be lost. They deserve to be at this point.

I mean yeah r/Nomanssky is alright but not everyone uses Reddit and I like Neogaf more.

edit: i don't know why you quoted me in particular though

Handy Fake

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Some pretty cool stuff in here.

Someone earlier in the thread was worried about only ever seeing deer like creatures and dinosaurs (the TGM video posted earlier shows way more than just these) but this article mentions alien like creatures that one of the writers saw on a planet.

Also it mentions that you can touch down on water with your ship.

What I got from that was that Sean was so riled up by being made to appear at E3 that he shot a teletubby in the back.

We've all had those days.

I hope I'm not going to be flamed for this but I really don't know "what you do"!

In the presentation, the guy engaged in non-consequential space battle, flew to a random planet, blew up some rocks, shot up a robot and happened upon a beastie. Now if that's pretty much all there is to it, then that's fine. It sounds relaxing and interesting. But is there some sort of goal, are there objectives or a way to win? It's fine if there is and it's fine if there isn't.

Isn't it a bannable offence to not read the OP in a topic? Because you've clearly demonstrated that you haven't.

RedSwirl

What I want to know is, will bodies actually move throughout space?

We know planets have day-to-night cycles, but will that actually occur because each planet is spinning on its axis? If so, I wonder if they all spin at the same rate or if that's just another factor in the procedural generation. It could be interesting if each planet had a different axis and spun differently. Will planets actually orbit? Will they orbit in different ways too? And we still don't know about moons. Are space stations just sitting in the middle of each solar system? Or will they orbit planets?

I ask because Frontier: Elite II basically did all this back in 1993 and even today it looks really cool. You can fast forward time by 100 or 1,000 or 10,000 times and watch satellites spin around their hosts. It's a bitch to deal with when trying to land though because you actually have to account for orbit (as well as inertia). Though we already know flying is going to be much easier in No Man's Sky which is one of the appealing things about it for me.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"

We know planets have day-to-night cycles, but will that actually occur because each planet is spinning on its axis? If so, I wonder if they all spin at the same rate or if that's just another factor in the procedural generation. It could be interesting if each planet had a different axis and spun differently. Will planets actually orbit? Will they orbit in different ways too? And we still don't know about moons. Are space stations just sitting in the middle of each solar system? Or will they orbit planets?

I ask because Frontier: Elite II basically did all this back in 1993 and even today it looks really cool. You can fast forward time by 100 or 1,000 or 10,000 times and watch satellites spin around their hosts. It's a bitch to deal with when trying to land though because you actually have to account for orbit (as well as inertia). Though we already know flying is going to be much easier in No Man's Sky which is one of the appealing things about it for me.
Given that the local star will be visible from the planet, it would be very odd if the day/night cycle wasn't based on its physical rotation. You can see other planets if they're close enough as well.

I doubt they'll orbit the sun as well though, but you never know.

Yes

One button landing (triangle on PS4) is a bit of a bummer because it further reinforces my suspicion that you auto level off when making your descent onto a planet.

hesido

I just watched Dumb and Dumber To, sad to see how they screwed up the characters so badly, it's Farelli humour all right, but they could have kept those shitty jokes for their other movies. It was very awkward.

The chances of meeting people are slim unless the initial location of groups of players are seeded to be close (grouped in hundreds, for example), of course it is supposed to get higher as more players close in on the center but the percentage of players that will be able to reach it would be lower anyway so I'm guessing it would balance out, not to mention that some of the players can choose not to go deep as I'm guessing one could play the game in a small part of one of the galaxies until he dies (literally).

amnesiac

Judging from the new Gameinformer impressions and the E3 demo, I'm thinking they should decrease the sensitivity of the space police.

It sounds like for just mining a small amount of resources or killing one animal in self defense, the robots are activated.

somme

My excitement for this game couldn't be any higher. It's literally the game I've always wanted.

Still hoping for a 2015 release!

Judging from the new Gameinformer impressions and the E3 demo, I'm thinking they should decrease the sensitivity of the space police.

It sounds like for just mining a small amount of resources or killing one animal in self defense, the robots are activated.

Yeah it was shown to be that way in the E3 demo too, and pretty much all the other impressions made it sound like that.

I agree, it sounds too strict, but they're probably in the process of heavy tweaking. HG didn't make it sound that strict when they talked about it in the past.

somme

Maybe it was that sensitive just to make sure the "space police" definitely showed up for the demo/playthroughs.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

I'm glad you're not my friend, you sound awful

hesido

Yeah it was shown to be that way in the E3 demo too, and pretty much all the other impressions made it sound like that.

I agree, it sounds too strict, but they're probably in the process of heavy tweaking. HG didn't make it sound that strict when they talked about it in the past.

Maybe for the purposes of the demo to show you police activity? I hope so.When you are talking about planet sized planets, there should be a lot of places you should be able to get away with doing things, if there's not an all seeing eye.

Maybe it was that sensitive just to make sure the "space police" definitely showed up for the demo/playthroughs.

That's what i'm thinking. Sean seems to have tweaked a few things for this demo. In a recent article, it said Sean tweaked the planet generation so he'd be more likely to get a lush planet on the E3 stage. Also, at least two separate impressions noted a teletubby/ewok like creature, which we've seen ourselves on the stage demo. So yeah, Sean definitely tweaked some stuff.

z9XFh3u.png

Gruso

lol, not sure that warranted a 15 minute interview. Let me immediately revise that statement: That did not warrant a 15 minute interview. tl;dw Game UK store employee confirms that NMS display sleeves were shipped in (along with other E3 titles like Uncharted 4) which are generally used for pre-order displays.

Jibes aside, it is enticing news as I'm sure they're not sending out this promo stuff a year in advance.

Gruso

Wildlife is procedural too.

The same applies to the alien creatures. On top of textures and features like horns or markings (which change based on the climate they’re living in), the procedural system determines what skeletal structure (the rig) an animal will have. The way they move and carry themselves can vary depending on how they’re built; they can be hunched over like a cow or stand proudly like a stallion. They can also be fat with slow, lumbering movements or move a lot faster if they’re thin. The developers cut down on the amount of work they needed to do by sharing these rigs across similar animals, like the way they use the shark’s rig in dolphins and whales.

http://venturebeat.com/2015/03/12/unraveling-the-mysteries-of-no-mans-skys-18-quintillion-planets/

Top Bottom