• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky Hands on impressions (Gamespot)

But.... were they correct in the video when talking about you never running into another player?

What's the point of the big space battles then? Is that all against AI?

It would be a real shame if you never did run into another player even though you're all exploring the "same" universe.
Nobody REALLY knows other than hello games at this point, but Sean has said it is possible to run into other players, and in fact that is when you will get to see just who/what you are playing as. It's just very unlikely due to the scale of the game and the fact that every player will start at random parts of the edge of the galaxy far away from one another.

I personally think they are intentionally avoiding answers on seeing other people because they themselves are not 100% sure they will be able to pull that off.

But.... were they correct in the video when talking about you never running into another player?

What's the point of the big space battles then? Is that all against AI?

It would be a real shame if you never did run into another player even though you're all exploring the "same" universe.

Hopefully they don't make the same mistake as ED and let you co-op it all from launch.

People should really lower their expectations about multiplayer of any kind. Until they give any more info or until the game comes out, just assume there is no multiplayer whatsoever. What you do, your drastic actions (strip planet of resources, name a planet etc.) gets registered into a database which everybody shares, but that's it.

kyser73

I'd be interested to see the gaming culture/history and ages of the 'get it/don't get it' posters.

I'm guessing a lot of those that don't are both younger and/or have never really gamed on a PC (and when I say 'PC' I don't just mean Wintel or Apple).

I would also hazard a guess that older gamers, especially from Europe, and PC gamers will get this a lot quicker as they've either played the earlier iterations of Elite - for example I reckon a lot of UK gamers around my age (42) and older will have played a version of the original on a BBC 'B' Micro, and will have known exactly what SM was going for from the first reveal, and if not then from the first round of interviews.

PC gamers would get the basic ideas as well simply because there have been so many similar games, whether set in space or elsewhere, where you the player are dropped in the game world and left to make you own way in the game without an overarching narrative.

Anyway, I'll leave the meta stuff alone...

The Cowboy

I can see myself getting so lost in this game, never bothering with the goal to get to the centre and just going around trying to explore/discover as much of the in game universe as possible - i cannot wait until this comes out.

When the presenter did the scroll out of the galaxy to show how big it actually is, it was just awesome and i for one cannot wait to spend god knows how long trying to see as much of it as possible.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
What I'm not clear on, is it a universe or a galaxy that you are exploring? Wouldn't be dissapointed if there was "only" one galaxy but I'm just not clear.

General No Man's Sky Info

Everyone starts off on a random planet on the outside of the starting galaxy. (There has been confirmed to be multiple galaxies)

You start off with a life pod ship, without a hyperdrive. Your hyperdrive is key to getting you from star system to star system and will be how you will cover the vast majority of your distance. You can fly from star system to star system manually, but it will take a very long time.

The goal of the game is to get to the center of the universe. The game doesn't force you to go there, but many players may find interest in getting closer to the center since the closer you get, the better ships/equipment you will come across. Also, the game will get harder towards the center as you'll have a higher chance of coming across more hostile/dangerous/alien planets and stronger AI ships/factions.

To make your journey to the center, you will need to continue getting better ships and upgrade your equipment as you go. To do that, you need to have credits. Credits are the currency in NMS, and you can get credits in multiple ways:

-Discovering new species/planets through exploration and uploading them to beacons will grant you credits. You have to upload them before the credits are granted to you. If you die before you can upload your data, then you have to re discover those things and upload them to get credits for them.

-You can get credits by selling resources to space stations and trading posts. You can sell your resources to the stations in the native star system that you find them in, or you can take a risk and warp to another star system to sell your resources there where they might be more valuable and sell for higher. (I'm assuming it's that way because resource price will vary from star system to star system depending on how common the resource is in said star system) It's a risk because you could get attacked by pirates and possibly lose all of the resources are transporting, or you could get attacked by hostile animals on the search for hyperdrive fuel. Also, ship cargo takes up the same space as hyperdrive fuel, so you'll have to manage that as needed. Oh and you can also combine resources to make them more lucrative.

If you die on the surface of a planet, you will respawn at your ship, but you'll lose whatever you had on you at the time. If your ship gets destroyed in space, you will land on the nearest planet with only your life pod ship and lose your cargo, but your bank account (credits) will still be in tact. It's always possible to work your way up from your life pod ship to a better ship with a hyperdrive no matter what star system you're in or what planet you crashed on.

You mine with your multitool. The multitool is used as a scanner, a weapon, and a mining tool. There are many different upgrades for it. The ones we know of so far are "laser beam, plasma grenade, energy shot, scan distance, scan type (certain things can't be scanned until this is upgraded)"

If you mess with the ecology of a planet too much, (mining, killing animals) Sentinel robots will be alerted and may attack you where you'll have to engage in combat. There is a wanted level on the top right hand corner of your screen that can go up to 5 levels. The robots are not on every planet.

There is a galactic police that will attack you and keep track of your doings in any particular sector. If you try to attack freighters or space stations, the galactic police will be alerted and try to attack you. Same thing with different factions. If you help out one faction, you will be on good terms with them and you can become affiliated with them enough to call on them as wingmen. If you oppose a faction, they'll remember that and may be hostile to you if you come across them in the future.

You can also upgrade your suit. The suit upgrades we know of so far are "shields, resource capacity, jetpack (height and hang time), air hazard (separate stats for toxic, corrosive and radioactive environments, liquid hazard (length of time submerged in water, acid, and alcohol)"

There is mixed info on whether you can upgrade your ship. There are sources saying that you can't, and some saying that you upgrade whatever specific attachments that your ship came with. What we know for sure is you can't customize your ship in a way that you can switch out different attachments with what you want. You have to work with what you bought. The ship attributes we know of so far are "Shields, laser beams, plasma shot, rapid fire shots, energy torpedo, wing (affects maneuverability), hull (separate stats to allow landing in toxic, corrosive, and radioactive environments), engine (general speed), hyperdrive (hyperspace jump distance), cargo space (split between cargo and hyperdrive fuel), cloaking"

To upgrade things, you will need credits. You upgrade you suit and weapons (again, dunno about ships) at "on planet" posts. Different posts will specialize in different upgrades.

There are three main classes of ships: Fighter, Trader and Explorer. Each class has multiple prototypes

-Fighters are light and symmetrical

-Trader craft tend to be bulkier and slower, but with heavier weapons

-Explorer ships will have much better hyperdrives and stealth capabilities, allowing pacifists to run from every fight Edge

A crafting system (aside from just combining resources to make them more valuable) has been mentioned. Talks about crafting things from the "atomic level" Quote below

"The game's crafting system looks set to be intrinsically complicated but rich and intentionally obscure, for instance. After mining resources in pure atomic form you can combine them into more valuable molecules, and gradually build up complex crafted material for selling, or to use to upgrade your ship, exploration suit or weapons. Hello Games will not document how this works before launch, instead -- in the style of Minecraft -- leaving it up to players to discover."

A blueprint system has also been mentioned. Certain equipment can only be crafted if you have attained the blueprint for it. Also, "loot crates" will be spread out through the galaxy that you can find as just another thing to reward you for exploration.

Planets will have a pre-generated name, but if you upload enough discoveries from one planet to a beacon, you can rename it whatever you want. You can also rename creatures you discover.

You CAN come across other players and see them, but it's extremely unlikely because of just how big the game is. There are 18 quintillion planets after all. As you get closer to the center, the chances of running into another player will increase, but it will still be a slim chance. If you do come across another real player, where will be no indication aside from your own observation. If you see a ship that's flying un-AI like, then it could be another player. If you see a person in a suit get out of a ship and walk around, then it's probably another player. Stars on the galactic map will twinkle whenever a discover is made somewhere, so you will occasionally catch that and see where someone might be in relevance to where you're at. You can also play completely offline.

There are a good amount of other details out there that I didn't cover, but if you don't like this, the game is not for you. Here's an information archive if you're interested on reading a bit more. (which currently isn't completely updated. I'll try to get reddit on that) http://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/wiki/archive

I get that many people want to see more extensive footage of these things before getting on board, and that's fine. If you read this though, you shouldn't be asking what you do.

I know there are other writes-ups on it but I always wanted to do my own. I initially tried not to bloat it with too too much information and rather focus more on kinda what the progression of the game will be like, but I got a bit out of hand probably. I may optimize it later lol. This will definitely be what I post in my own NMS threads whenever I make one at least....

GhaleonEB

What I'm not clear on, is it a universe or a galaxy that you are exploring? Wouldn't be dissapointed if there was "only" one galaxy but I'm just not clear.

IIRC, there are millions of galaxies. Once you reach the center of one, you can do the journey again in another.

Amir0x

Banned

Many galaxies from what I understand, but either way it won't matter:

By stepping the scale up to 64-bit numbers, the number of planets is increased roughly to 2 to the power of 64. That exponentially increases the scale of things and means that it would take roughly five billion years to visit each planet for one second. That may not be the traditional definition of infinite (as promised in the trailer), but it is likely closer than any other open-world came has come in the past.

Crazy the numbers game to play with this game. This may sound like hollow PR, but it's actually the legitimate outcome of how massive the numbers they are playing with in this procedural universe are. It allows me to conceptualize the staggering scale of the universe easier, which is already one benefit :p

IIRC, there are millions of galaxies. Once you reach the center of one, you can do the journey again in another.

What you just typed is what some postulate happens when you reach the Centre of the starting galaxy. You gain access to the other galaxies in some way. All with their own potentially unseen planet variables.

Amazing, really.

Jombie

I saw the E3 presentation and was somewhat impressed by it. It looks great; I love the art style, but I don't know how much fun I can have just exploring the worlds. The combat seems a bit hamfisted and boring.

entremet

The problem with this game is that it sounds boring.

It's truly a game's game in that you need to play it to really get it.

I hope they do a demo because, outside the hardcore, the game can appear to be very confusing due to its ambition.

I mean, GAF is a hardcore community and people are still confused and perplexed about this game.

For instance, I went back to Destiny for the story and the interactions with monsters.

6hKUeud.jpg

Skyzard

Banned
This game will consume all my free time.

Click on image for full 2500x1400 resolution.

Nice, new wp, thanks.

People should really lower their expectations about multiplayer of any kind. Until they give any more info or until the game comes out, just assume there is no multiplayer whatsoever. What you do, your drastic actions (strip planet of resources, name a planet etc.) gets registered into a database which everybody shares, but that's it.

Hmm, I dunno, I reckon they should take their time till they work out some ways to play together in a fun way. It might be a pretty lonely game otherwise.

The only people who are confused and perplexed have to be posters with some form of attention deficit. It's been clear to me from day 1 what this game is about, and I want to experience it. Then again I'm in the minority; I knew exactly what I was getting into with Destiny after watching videos and playing the Alpha and Beta and laughed at the people who claimed otherwise.

With the rise of let's plays, quick looks, and the general wealth of information about this and other games on the internet there is no reason to say "I don't know." Whether they be lazy or pushing some agenda, claiming ignorance as an excuse not to like a game is just deplorable. It's one thing to not like a game due to mechanics, setting, or aesthetic; it's another to remain ignorant when the information is easily available.

I know there are other writes-ups on it but I always wanted to do my own. I initially tried not to bloat it with too too much information and rather focus more on kinda what the progression of the game will be like, but I got a bit out of hand probably. I may optimize it later lol. This will definitely be what I post in my own NMS threads whenever I make one at least....

Thanks for the writeup, it's good to read all of this info in one place again, I've forgotten about certain details and just how much fleshed out it actually sounds like. Whether it will actually be like that we'll see, but I believe they'll pull off most of those things.

I still haven't read the Wired article, seems there's more to the crafting than I though, nice.

One thing tough, I don't know why people are mentioning multiple galaxies, I'm not sure I've ever heard Sean say that. It's always been one galaxy, and the goal is the center of that galaxy.

iosefe

Best write up I've seen.

Had no idea about the twinkling stars feature

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
The problem with this game is that it sounds boring.

It's truly a game's game in that you need to play it to really get it.

I hope they do a demo because, outside the hardcore, the game can appear to be very confusing due to its ambition.

I mean, GAF is a hardcore community and people are still confused and perplexed about this game.
To me NMS sounds like the most intriguing and exciting thing on the gaming horizon in ages. Seriously. Of course it could crash and burn, but in terms of gaming experiences coming up it's my big one.

The multiplayer part worries me. In every video I've see. They sort of dodge talking about multiplayer in depth. Sometimes they make it sound like if you do happen to run across someone you'll be able to interact with them. Sometimes they make it sound like you can't. Somebody just needs to ask the simple yes or no question. Will we be able to see and interact with other players if we happen to be in the same place at the same time?

Because yes, odds are we won't naturally run into people, but in theory I should just be able to give my friend my coordinates and he should be able to jump to me.

If it's anything like Elite Dangerous then even if your friend knows where you are in the galaxy it could take them hours or days to reach your location.

I haven't logged in to Elite for months now because I parked my ship so far away from everything reaching inhabited space is about a 3 hour flight and consists of about 50 jumps to light speed.

And that's not even considered far away either, people that went to the centre of the Galaxy in elite took weeks to get there and they didn't see a single soul on the way either.

Only about 1% of that Galaxy has been explored by players, I think people are forgetting he actual scale of these games, sure if you happen to spawn randomly near someone you may see them but the chances of paths crossing in a galaxy if the spawns are actually spread throhout the whole outer rim are really really slim.

I really really REALLY hope people are misinterpreting this, I very much hope we'll have a chance at running into people as we explore and approach the center of the game...

It would be amazing to start seeing more and more people as you all make for the center. Hopefully not everyone would be out to kill everyone... Then again this is a video game :p

can you name the planets you discover and upload to the "main node"?

let's make a race to see which one of us gets to the center, if you can name what you discovers im gonna put my user name -NeoGAF just for shits and giggles

entremet

To me NMS sounds like the most intriguing and exciting thing on the gaming horizon in ages. Seriously. Of course it could crash and burn, but in terms of gaming experiences coming up it's my big one.

It just seems it's something that needs to be experienced, not discussed per se.

can you name the planets you discover and upload to the "main pc"?

let's make a race to see which one of us gets to the center, if you can name what you discovers im gonna put my user name -NeoGAF just for shits and giggles

Yeah, planets will have a pre-generated name, but if you upload enough discoveries from one planet to a beacon, you can rename it whatever you want.

The Cowboy

Yeah, planets will have a pre-generated name, but if you upload enough discoveries from one planet to a beacon, you can rename it whatever you want.

Your gonna see it, you get to the centre of the Galaxy/Universe and there will be planet called "NeoGAF Prime".

Skyzard

Banned
Really, as a once skeptical/salty pc ED fan, goodluck to them, the worlds look great, something others with big funding couldn't do yet. I just hope Sony give them the time the game deserves to be a huge hit with a lot of gamers.

xBladeM6x

The whole "I still don't know what it is" and "what do you do" is really wearing thin. If someone is asking these questions over and over, they don't really get it.

Obligatory:
I feel it's my obligation to do this, since I still see people asking. Here is:

It's not possible to misunderstand what the game is, what it's about, what you'll be doing, how it works, and how it's possible on a technical level after seeing those.

kyser73

The game should start with a v/o of these words from the HHG2TG:

Space is big. Really big. You just won’t believe how vastly hugely mindbogglingly big it is. I mean you may think it’s a long way down the road to the chemist’s, but that’s just peanuts to space.

GhaleonEB

I think it's also worth noting that in some of the earlier interviews with Sean about NMS, he said the plan was to continue to add to the game over time, should it be successful. If it flopped Hello would sadly move on, but if it's successful they have a long list of features and things they want to add over time. That's actually part of the appeal to me - not only continuing to explore the galaxy, but seeing how the game evolves.

kamakazi5

I didn't realize there were multiple galaxies either. I could see why running into someone would be rare as there may only be a very small number of people in one galaxy. I actually don't care about the center quest, I want to just try and find someone.

Edit:
I think it's also worth noting that in some of the earlier interviews with Sean about NMS, he said the plan was to continue to add to the game over time, should it be successful. If it flopped Hello would sadly move on, but if it's successful they have a long list of features and things they want to add over time. That's actually part of the appeal to me - not only continuing to explore the galaxy, but seeing how the game evolves.

This is also very interesting. I would love to eventually be able to craft a small base or very simple colony on a planet. I don't need it to be elaborate, just something to call home.

I didn't realize there were multiple galaxies either. I could see why running into someone would be rare as there may only be a very small number of people in one galaxy. I actually don't care about the center quest, I want to just try and find someone.

Everyone starts off on the same galaxy.

abuC

Nice to know you can see other players, I know they said it's unlikely but it will be easy to coordinate with a friend or two to meet up.

Peltz

I thought it was supposed to be a mystery what was at the center of the galaxy?

*center of the universe

Also, I think this game will only be as great as its procedural generation. Hopefully, there is a lot of variety in it.

It would suck if the 18 quintillion planets all had similar looks.

It was confirmed in a few places, one being the Gameinformer podcast a while back.

Also, just listened to that bit about the galaxies (it's pretty much at the start), but I've also forgotten they mentioned a minimap orientation thing for the actual galaxy map. It sounds like you might be actually able to somewhat orient yourself on the galaxy map, so if meeting players would be somehow possible, this should definitely help out in that.

Guevara

Everything about this sounds incredible to me, I hope they can find the right balance for multiplayer. It should be special when you come across another human but also dangerous.

Top Bottom