• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky Hands on impressions (Gamespot)

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
At this point they need to just release a 17 hour unfiltered gameplay video with HUGE YELLOW TEXT at every moment detailing exactly what each scene is depicting, along with sending every viewer of this video a complimentary text in the mail describing how they accomplished these gameplay elements.

And they'd still fucking ask what it is you do.

I was just thinking this same thing.

This game is almost too big if that makes sense, but I love the sounds of it. Tickles my Buck Rodgers, 1980's choose your own adventure sci-fi/fantasy novel nostalgia.

drt

Banned
What I'm not clear on, is it a universe or a galaxy that you are exploring? Wouldn't be dissapointed if there was "only" one galaxy but I'm just not clear.

I don't know how many galaxies there are but it will have 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets (18 quintillion). If a new planet is discovered every second it would take 584 billion years to visit every one just for a second.

Hm, I don't usually buy into these sorts of things, but there is a very strange string of awkward coincidences adding up.

I don't think it's about exclusivity, since they always weren't exclusive. But maybe they violated the terms of their contract in some way?

The thing is, they only removed the latest trailer. The rest of the No Man's Sky content is all still on their Youtube channel.

Posted this in the other thread, but I'll post it here too.

Danny mentions you can't run into other players even if you're at the same location. Goes against what's been talked about at other interviews this week. They've always mentioned Journey as an inspiration for the multiplayer so I thought that was strange.

Yeah he's wrong. Sean already said that it's like Journey, like you mentioned, in how if there's a large group congregating in the same area you'll only see a couple people.

Hahs

How about lowering our expectations for this game - I mean, personally, I had that shit on a stratospheric pedestal - just teetering up there.

I think people should just calm down, and expect less - we might be thoroughly surprised.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I don't know how many galaxies there are but it will have 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets (18 quintillion). If a new planet is discovered every second it would take 584 billion years to visit every one just for a second.

*faints*

The game that could never be "beaten" or fully explored.

But it was never exclusive.

R8oWf7w.png

It was a timed exclusive, and as recently as mid-May, Sony was talking about how they were going to treat the title as a first-party title. I'm not sure what's going on there.

Man, I can imagine seeing another player would be so cool!

Of course most people would try and kill each other, naturally. But that's crazy cool if it's actually real time.

Tuck

I think one of the problems with this game (and correct me if I'm wrong) is that it's just you in this universe. There are other ships, sure, but nothing to really connect you to them. There's no backstory, no struggle that you're REALLY gonna have to side with, nothing that would make you want to fight for one team or think about the consequences later on. From what I've read, purchasing stuff is all done thorugh menus too? There aren't NPCs to interact with who may or may not strike up conversation or give you quests? If that's true, then imo, that'really bad. It's like someone made this universe, then left it to the animals and robots and said "peace out."

I was watching the reveal with my girlfriend and we were both like "yeah, that looks awesome." But then an hour later she told me that while the scope looks cool, it seems like the game would get boring after a while and I think I agree with her. Without something beyond "travel to the center of the universe" to keep me coming back, it just seems pointless, like I'm chasing a treasure that may or may not exist (which kinda sounds cool, but potentially disappointing too.)

For instance, I went back to Destiny for the story and the interactions with monsters. Other games keep me hooked for the story, and that sense of progressions. Both elements are very important to me. Sense of progression might be there for NMS, but there doesn't seem to be an actual narrative to it.

I don't necessarily agree, but this is a valid point I think. The goal is to get to the centre, but there really isn't anything driving you forward to do that besides mild curiosity. And sure there might be other ships out there, but its not like there are factions (AFAIK, though I may be wrong on this point) and lore at play. You won't find cities, or warring civilizations. So yeah i agree that the lack of story and driving force for the player could be a flaw with the games design.

Still, I'm curious. I'd like to go on this adventure for myself and see where it leads me. Maybe I'll get bored, maybe I won't. But at least for a short time, I think I can be my own driving force.

amnesiac

I wouldn't read much into the livestream situation, I mean things happen and it's possible they couldn't make it or something came up. E3 is a busy time.

The trailer being pulled is odd though, I'll give you that.

It's probably nothing, but I'll ask Sean over twitter.

I'm pretty sure people have been tweeting them for the past few hours or so with no response. Something's up and it's worrying me. :/

I wouldn't read much into the livestream situation, I mean things happen and it's possible they couldn't make it or something came up. E3 is a busy time.

The trailer being pulled is odd though, I'll give you that.

I didn't read into that at all until these other events started adding up. The fact that multiple things like this are going on probably means something is going down.

It was a timed exclusive, and as recently as mid-May, Sony was talking about how they were going to treat the title as a first-party title. I'm not sure what's going on there.

Sean recently announced that it would release on PC simultaneously with PS4, which means it's not a timed exclusive anymore.

I didn't read into that at all until these other events started adding up. The fact that multiple things like this are going on probably means something is going down.

Sean recently announced that it would release on PC simultaneously with PS4, which means it's not a timed exclusive anymore.

Yeah, it seems like the timed launch was Hello Games' call though, so I'm not convinced there was any contractual obligation. From the timed exclusive article:

Hello Games deliberately chose to lead with the PS4, as well. Its reasons encompass more than just limited resources, as well. Murray stated that focusing on the PS4 hardware gave the team the ability to maximize its procedural generation algorithms to make the environments as vivid and full as possible. "Unlike most games, the actual hardware really affects what we can do in terms of the richness of the worlds and things like that," he said. "It isn't just adding a veneer of resolution, or extra antialiasing options. It has a real effect on what we can actually do in the universe."

Grief.exe

I don't think it was ever truly a timed exclusive. Hello Games put the somewhat put the PC version on the back burner when their studios were flooded, but that was the only thing we have heard.

Yeah, it seems like the timed launch was Hello Games' call though, so I'm not convinced there was any contractual obligation. From the timed exclusive article:

Hello Games deliberately chose to lead with the PS4, as well. Its reasons encompass more than just limited resources, as well. Murray stated that focusing on the PS4 hardware gave the team the ability to maximize its procedural generation algorithms to make the environments as vivid and full as possible. "Unlike most games, the actual hardware really affects what we can do in terms of the richness of the worlds and things like that," he said. "It isn't just adding a veneer of resolution, or extra antialiasing options. It has a real effect on what we can actually do in the universe."

That seems like marketing bullshit to be honest.

Ranger X

Well, this is starting to get really interesting. Now I get what's the main gameplay loops and its definetely a game I will try.

I don't what's the fuss about people in this thread (and other NMS thread) visibly irritated from people asking "the hell you do in this game". In Minecraft threads this was still happening years after the game was out and nobody was crying.

It seems that people need a waypoint in their game so that they know what they should aim for. This crap of "What is the objecive?" or "What do I do?" has become ridiculous right now.

I think it's sad that modern game design "brainwashed" people to think this way. I noticed this when reviews and people complained that you'd get lost in Killzone Shadowfall's first levels.
When I have the universe at my fingertips and can go wherever I want to, I don't want waypoints to distract from my experience.

Something clearly happened that caused it to go from "timed exclusive" to day-and-date with PC. Not that I'm complaining since it means I can play the game with better IQ on day one now, but I can understand why Sony would start to back out now if things went sour. It's all speculation though, and as pointed out above, the "timed exclusivity" doesn't seem to have been super concrete.

Grief.exe

Something clearly happened that caused it to go from "timed exclusive" to day-and-date with PC. Not that I'm complaining since it means I can play the game with better IQ on day one now, but I can understand why Sony would start to back out now if things went sour.

Can you find evidence to point to a timed exclusive Jaw?

The only thing I remember is Hello Games not committing to a PC version release when their studios were flooded. Obviously they were able to make some gains in development time.
Game was announced for PC right after the its first debut.

EDIT: That article you linked was utter bullshit. I'm not blaming you, gaming journalism is just an unmitigated disaster.

We've contacted Hello Games to clarify the details of No Man's Sky's timed exclusivity, and we'll update the story if we receive new information.

Something clearly happened that caused it to go from "timed exclusive" to day-and-date with PC. Not that I'm complaining since it means I can play the game with better IQ on day one now, but I can understand why Sony would start to back out now if things went sour.

It doesn't really make sense for Sony to do things like pull a trailer though, even if it's releasing on PC it's still going to move a few PS4 units. I can understand them stepping back from putting future money and advertisement into the title if there was a falling out, but to take the time to go and do things to disassociate themselves from it, at this point in time, doesn't make any logical sense.

Jblanks

Man this sucks. A definite answer of what is going on hopefully pops up soon, but I'm not holding my breath.

Seems like Sony is mad about something, maybe they weren't supposed to announce that it's coming to PC at the same time yet, or maybe that is was supposed to come to the PS4 first, PC a bit after.

Weird that they waited until now to take action.

To anyone wondering about the release date, Danny in the video mentioned how Sean said he'd "lose his mind if they were at E3 next year", and also the fact that Sean has said they wanted to announce the date at E3, but decided to wait a while longer. So it seems it'll most likely be out within the next 12 months.

It doesn't really make sense for Sony to do things like pull a trailer though, even if it's releasing on PC it's still going to move a few PS4 units. I can understand them stepping back from putting future money and advertisement into the title if there was a falling out, but to take the time to go and do things to disassociate themselves from it, at this point in time, doesn't make any logical sense.

I thought it was just the stage demo this E3, not a trailer. Was that video even on their channel to begin with?

I think it was a Gamespot interview where Sean Murray said that Sony's always been extremely open to there being a PC version (he even referenced what they're doing with Street Fighter V as an example), and when the interviewer pressed for day and date on PC he said something to the effect of "as close as possible."

Would be extremely weird for any friction to be popping up now. Everything seemed fine. It's probably just some scheduling/marketing mistakes.

Man this sucks. A definite answer of what is going on hopefully pops up soon, but I'm not holding my breath.

Seems like Sony is mad about something, maybe they weren't supposed to announce that it's coming to PC at the same time yet, or maybe that is was supposed to come to the PS4 first, PC a bit after.

Weird that they waited until now to take action.

It doesn't make sense to be related to that. The PC announcement happened back on Tuesday, and they were scheduled to be on the live stream as recently as 7 hours ago.

I thought it was just the stage demo this E3, not a trailer. Was that video even on their channel to begin with?

Yeah sorry, it was a stage demo. And someone said that it was, though I didn't see it myself.

RedSwirl

So it seems like the main object in this game is to earn money, however you can. I think they need to simplify things down to that in the PR or advertising:
You have a space ship.
You have a universe.
You have different ways to earn money in it: trading, mining, fighting, exploring.
Go have fun.

I said this in the last thread, but I think Sean Murray and Hello Games are being so cagey because they're thinking of No Man's Sky in a way similar to all the sandbox survival games that have recently popped up on Steam like DayZ or Rust. In an interview with GameSpot Murray directly compared NMS to games like Salt or Stranded Deep. Those are survival games that just drop players into sandbox worlds and let them forge their own paths while dealing with emergent events. More importantly, those games didn't really have any fanfare before appearing in publicly playable form. They just showed up on Steam Early Access and people started taking notice, circulating word of mouth.

Murray seems to want NMS to be that kind of game, but it's being revealed to the world in exactly the opposite way. Part of that is because the aforementioned type of game is still almost nonexistent on consoles which I think is contributing a lot to the confusion about what it is. As soon as Hello Games decided to unveil NMS at VGX a year and a half ago, Sony saw something it hadn't seen before and decided to hype the fuck out of it. Furthermore, it put A LOT of focus on the whole "You can explore real planets and deep space without loading screens!" aspect because that was pretty much unheard of to the vast majority of people in recent times. So now, instead of the quiet release and gradual word of mouth games like this usually get, NMS is being subjected to the typical AAA console game hype scrutiny.

I think people who are confused just need to forget about this game until it comes out and everyone starts talking about their experiences with it. It seems like the kind of game that's perfect for YouTubers and streamers, particularly because everyone whose videos you watch will be visiting completely different planets. What the game is will probably be much more clear then. I'm a bit worried that maybe the PS4 audience won't get it as much as the PC audience, but PS4 has built-in twitch streaming so maybe the same kind of word of mouth will spread there too.

Did Playstation delete the No Man's Sky videos from the Youtube Channel? The fuck is going on here?

http://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/3acjt5/sony_deleted_no_mans_sky_e3_trailers_from/

People in the comments are saying that No Man's Sky wasn't deleted

[–]stoned_bazz 17 minutes ago*
And if you look at the list you posted, and the current youtube playlist.... you will see that it's the Project morpheus announcement trailer that has been deleted
Edit: My mistake it was a trailer for a morpheus game that was deleted

[–]devinup 16 minutes ago*
I guess they only put up trailers and not E3 presentations? But yeah, Headmaster is the deleted one.

sanityismyvanity 15 minutes ago
Precisely. NMS was never on that specific playlist. I checked last night, it wasn't there to begin with.

iosefe

holy shit, where is that image of the Jumping to Conclusions board game

i'm sure we'll find out what happened with the stream soon enough

But what do you really do in Minecraft? Build and explore right. Isn't NMS about exploration. Why can't that be ok?

You're flying ships, landing on planets. Gathering resources discovering new planets. I thin it's pretty obvious that's what you'll be doing. So I don't get the whole "what do you do in this game?" question that always pops up.

Exactly.

It's Star Trek: The Game and it's fucking glorious.

Can't wait!!

cHinzo

Wish there was some incentive to go to the middle of the universe. Yes u can go upgrade ur ship when u get closer, but for what purpose? It would have been great if they reversed the scenario and 'forced' u to head to the middle of the universe, because the enemies are stronger on the outer sides of the universe. Kinda like FTL, where the enemy forces u to move on. That way u make ur way towards the middle to get better ship upgrades while u explore all those galaxies until u are strong enough to explore the outskirts of the universe. It would have given people a purpose to move on. Of course with enough upgrades the whole universe is safe enough to explore.

Wish there was some incentive to go to the middle of the universe. Yes u can go upgrade ur ship when u get closer, but for what purpose? It would have been great if they reversed the scenario and 'forced' u to head to the middle of the universe, because the enemies are stronger on the outer sides of the universe. Kinda like FTL, where the enemy forces u to move on. That way u make ur way towards the middle to get better ship upgrades while u explore all those galaxies until u are strong enough to explore the outskirts of the universe. It would have given people a purpose to move on. Of course with enough upgrades the whole universe is safe enough to explore.

Going to where it's harder, more dangerous, and where you can get better equipment seems like a solid incentive to me.

Can you find evidence to point to a timed exclusive Jaw?

The only thing I remember is Hello Games not committing to a PC version release when their studios were flooded. Obviously they were able to make some gains in development time.
Game was announced for PC right after the its first debut.

EDIT: That article you linked was utter bullshit. I'm not blaming you, gaming journalism is just an unmitigated disaster.

It seems to have originated from an Edge story that was picked up by a bunch of sites. I haven't really seen anything "official," however. I know Sony introduced the game as making its "console debut" on PlayStation during their E3 2014 conference, but that's about it. As far as wording goes, I don't think "console debut" precludes a day-and-date PC release.

Edit: Welp, there it is. Nothing to see here, folks!

This game kinda reminds me of how I play Far Cry; Don't give a fuck about story, I just walk off in a direction and see what happens. Everything's instinctual and player-motivated. Kinda ballsy to make a game where any and all linearity is removed in favour of pure player-motivated exploration, but that's the game's ethos and I get that.

Top Bottom