• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky Hands on impressions (Gamespot)

kyser73

Ah man, everyone losing their shit and it turns out that it's a completely different game removed from YT and HG got stuck in LA traffic.

Everyone needs to spray on some calm the fuck down.

GhaleonEB

Wish there was some incentive to go to the middle of the universe. Yes u can go upgrade ur ship when u get closer, but for what purpose? It would have been great if they reversed the scenario and 'forced' u to head to the middle of the universe, because the enemies are stronger on the outer sides of the universe. Kinda like FTL, where the enemy forces u to move on. That way u make ur way towards the middle to get better ship upgrades while u explore all those galaxies until u are strong enough to explore the outskirts of the universe. It would have given people a purpose to move on. Of course with enough upgrades the whole universe is safe enough to explore.

The core loop in NMS, if you want to follow it, involves exploring a planet for resources, upgrading your suit/ship, and then jumping a little ways further into the center of the galaxy. As you get closer and closer, you need better and better ships and a better suit to survive increasingly hostile territory. But, the planets that are the most rich in resources and activity also appear closer to the center of the galaxy. So you go farther, get stronger, and endure greater danger along the way toward a mysterious objective; the risk/reward cranks up the closer you get. That is a pretty strong incentive, IMO. I mean, I think you get that, I just find the way it's organized to be naturally inviting.

This game kinda reminds me of how I play Far Cry; Don't give a fuck about story, I just walk off in a direction and see what happens. Everything's instinctual and player-motivated. Kinda ballsy to make a game where any and all linearity is removed in favour of pure player-motivated exploration, but that's the game's ethos and I get that.

Same here.

Now someone on the facebook group is saying that Sean Murray unfollowed Playstation's twitter lol

Jdqr7Bq.jpg

bunbun777

This game seems to be a sort of litmus test for the gamers' imagination, the more you may think you enjoy what possibly lies in store the greater risk of being somewhat disappointed. I can only imagine planets with teeth,acid rain and radioactive geysers, killer beasts and armadas in space that are so well outfitted that you are wise to give them a wide berth. If there really is a center i imagine a reset or possibly focal portals, if not it's gonna be a crowded spot.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
What worries me kind of is since they make it seem so difficult on meeting other people--and it seems we still haven't gotten a true definitive answer regarding the multiplayer aspects of it--that the whole thing will wear off quickly after the initial wow or if not, after the player manages to reach the single player "goal", which is the end of the universe.

Hmm, maybe I missed something somewhere, but it would be really nice if they can just confirm whether we can mess around/adventuring together with friends. That would greatly lengthen the longevity of the game.

KingV

They don't need to host each player's world in a server for multiplayer to work. If each player is at the same spot they are generating the same exact planet on their own. The server just has to handle "matchmaking" and user data. It could probably even be done P2P.

If you think about it, you would need to, at the very least, persistently track the location of every player playing the game. Then you would have to have some kind of seamless netcode and synching algorithm. Ifnyountake into account that there are billions of planets, and lets assume the game sells 10 million copies and everybody is online at the same time, that would bel less than 1% of the planets populated at any given time.

Except, there are more than 1,000 billion planets and this game will be lucky to sell 5 million, and lucky to have 10% playing at once ever. The odds of running into someone are so low, it would be a waste of resources for a ten man team to develop a full set of netcode.

Honestly, I think the hype machine has come off the rails on this game, mostly because of things Hello Games has not said. Fans just filled in the blanks with features that probably don't exist.

The tech is neat, but the combat looks super dull and frankly, I think the planets will start looking samey quickly. If you think about it, how many truly bizarre creatures have you seen in this? I have seen four legged animals that look like mutant earth animals, fish that look basically like fish, birds that look basically like birds, and little rabit things that look like mutant rabbits. My guess is there are a couple of dozen archetypes that are there to allow the procedural engined to reuse animation skeletons, so the true variety will end up with variations on a them instead of like 10 legged creatures with 30 crab claws and two monster penises.

What worries me kind of is since they make it seem so difficult on meeting other people--and it seems we still haven't gotten a true definitive answer regarding the multiplayer aspects of it--that the whole thing will wear off quickly after the initial wow or if not, after the player manages to reach the single player "goal", which is the end of the universe.

Hmm, maybe I missed something somewhere, but it would be really nice if they can just confirm whether we can mess around/adventuring together with friends. That would greatly lengthen the longevity of the game.

We have gotten solid multiplayer details on multiplayer from Sean Murray on a few occasions. The statement made by Danny O'Dwyer in the video is false. You can meet up with them if you coordinate, but there is no invite system as of now. They said they'd add a more traditional multiplayer in sometime down the line.

Helznicht

So what I am hearing, is if you like vanilla survival Minecraft, you would probably like this.

To me vanilla survival minecraft is a borefest, so I think I will stay away.

So it seems like the main object in this game is to earn money, however you can.

Yeah, I think that's really the crux of the gameplay from a technical point of view. It's pretty much what I posted almost exactly a year ago.
What is No Man's Sky?
- In a nutshell, the goal is to earn money, get the best gear and survive the trip to the center of the galaxy. Yes, you can explore planets or stay in one forever, but if you're asking for a goal, a purpose, that's it.

The crafting info however makes this seem like an even deeper system, which is certainly nice. I didn't expect to actually gather chemical elements that you then craft into chemical compounds which in turn are the actual usable materials for trading or upgrades.

Just looking at the bits and pieces of info you can really see that they are at least planning on and using effective, or at the very least serviceable gameplay mechanics (depending on implementation of course), so it looks like a reasonably feature rich game. Certainly much more than just walking and exploring.

And another thing I think people should also expect. You will die a lot. Or at least have a lot of dangerous and frequent opportunities to die. It will set you back somewhat, like in rougelikes and Dark Souls, except you don't leave bloodstains and loose your on person inventory when you die, while your souls (in this case units) stay intact.

It seems obvious at this point that Sean Murray doesn't really want to show you most of what you can do, there's so much we still haven't seen.

I don't think that's a bad thing but I certainly understand people who are hesitant to spend money on an unknown quantity.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i think what is great so far about this game is that it isn't weighed down by the impetus to "create" things like you would in Minecraft, et al. It seems like you are purely discovering and upgrading and crafting pre-existing things.

Hopefully that's what it is and what I'm understanding correctly.

The core loop in NMS, if you want to follow it, involves exploring a planet for resources, upgrading your suit/ship, and then jumping a little ways further into the center of the galaxy. As you get closer and closer, you need better and better ships and a better suit to survive increasingly hostile territory. But, the planets that are the most rich in resources and activity also appear closer to the center of the galaxy. So you go farther, get stronger, and endure greater danger along the way toward a mysterious objective; the risk/reward cranks up the closer you get. That is a pretty strong incentive, IMO. I mean, I think you get that, I just find the way it's organized to be naturally inviting.

As long as that core loop is fun, and there really is a higher risk\reward the closer you get to the center, then the game sounds like it will be amazing. I just want to really feel like I'm risking my life to explore more dangerous planets. I have no idea how they'll do it.

The game sounds great in concept. In a lot of ways it reminds me of Spore.

i think what is great so far about this game is that it isn't weighed down by the impetus to "create" things like you would in Minecraft, et al. It seems like you are purely discovering and upgrading and crafting pre-existing things.

Hopefully that's what it is and what I'm understanding correctly.

That's what it is if you want it to be.

Hahs

This game seems to be a sort of litmus test for the gamers' imagination, the more you may think you enjoy what possibly lies in store the greater risk of being somewhat disappointed.
That's why these atmospheric expectations need to calm TF down. Why are they so high in the first place - you'd think we're talking about ME:A or Shenmue 3.

Handy Fake

I'd be interested to see the gaming culture/history and ages of the 'get it/don't get it' posters.

I'm guessing a lot of those that don't are both younger and/or have never really gamed on a PC (and when I say 'PC' I don't just mean Wintel or Apple).

I would also hazard a guess that older gamers, especially from Europe, and PC gamers will get this a lot quicker as they've either played the earlier iterations of Elite - for example I reckon a lot of UK gamers around my age (42) and older will have played a version of the original on a BBC 'B' Micro, and will have known exactly what SM was going for from the first reveal, and if not then from the first round of interviews.

PC gamers would get the basic ideas as well simply because there have been so many similar games, whether set in space or elsewhere, where you the player are dropped in the game world and left to make you own way in the game without an overarching narrative.

Anyway, I'll leave the meta stuff alone...

35, UK, yes. ;)

That's why these atmospheric expectations need to calm TF down. Why are they so high in the first place - you'd think we're talking about ME:A or Shenmue 3.

Because not everyone is interested in the same games. I know, shocking. Why do you care that people are hyped games that you aren't into as much?

I'm hoping there's some sort of limited range buddy warp at least. We could form a GAF fleet and do stuff.

Congrats! You and your buddy both just bought No Man's Sky!

*Players Spawn in*

[Travel time to Friend's location with starter ship: 1296 hours (54 days)]
Good luck!

If you're looking for any sort of multiplayer experience out of NMS, I think you'll be sorely disappointed. If what Danny at Gamespot said is to be believed, there won't be any interaction between players at all, even when they ARE near each other. Which would make sense, because otherwise they would have to spend the time and resources to build in a multiplayer network layer that you might only ever use a few times throughout your entire experience with the game. Which would be a total waste of resources for such a small team.

Unicorn

"The game's crafting system looks set to be intrinsically complicated but rich and intentionally obscure, for instance. After mining resources in pure atomic form you can combine them into more valuable molecules, and gradually build up complex crafted material for selling, or to use to upgrade your ship, exploration suit or weapons. Hello Games will not document how this works before launch, instead -- in the style of Minecraft -- leaving it up to players to discover."

holy shit

Congrats! You and your buddy both just bought No Man's Sky!

*Players Spawn in*

[Travel time to Friend's location with starter ship: 1296 hours (54 days)]
Good luck!

If you're looking for any sort of multiplayer experience out of NMS, I think you'll be sorely disappointed. If what Danny at Gamespot said is to be believed, there won't be any interaction between players at all, even when they ARE near each other. Which would make sense, because otherwise they would have to spend the time and resources to build in a multiplayer network layer that you might only ever use a few times throughout your entire experience with the game. Which would be a total waste of resources for such a small team.

Danny is wrong.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Since the real difficulty this game presents to the player seems to be in understanding what it's about, maybe Hello Games should add a difficulty select that starts by prompting the player "Do you know why you're playing this game?" If the player says no, the game tells them, "The princess is trapped at the center of the galaxy. Save Her!" and loads a special seed for the game galaxy that consists of 10-15 planets, tops, comprising only the most action-packed, bro-tastic areas of the full game. Existential crisis averted.

Here's my plan:

-Whatever planet I spawn on is home. I name it. I find a mountain, blast a cave into it, and live there. I hunt and dig for resources. I find and name species. I upgrade what I can.

-My home planet will be in a solar system. I will explore this solar system, methodically. I will name the planets, as well as the fauna found on each. But my home planet is where I'll return after each trek.

-Since I remember reading somewhere that you can blast holes in the ground (to search for caverns or something along those lines), I will spend a good bit of time carving a massive sign on the face of my planet. It will be a welcome sign for any eager travelers who happen to come to my little corner of the universe.

-Then I hide in my cave. And wait for visitors. And when they come and land on my planet, I make them pay for their insolence.

Space madness.

Crom

This game seems to be a sort of litmus test for the gamers' imagination, the more you may think you enjoy what possibly lies in store the greater risk of being somewhat disappointed. I can only imagine planets with teeth,acid rain and radioactive geysers, killer beasts and armadas in space that are so well outfitted that you are wise to give them a wide berth. If there really is a center i imagine a reset or possibly focal portals, if not it's gonna be a crowded spot.

People that are imagining that kind of depth are going to be disappointed.

Totally with you on this. Being able to talk/bounce around/discover things with a buddy would make me want this game way more

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Here's my plan:

-Whatever planet I spawn on is home. I name it. I find a mountain, blast a cave into it, and live there. I hunt and dig for resources. I find and name species. I upgrade what I can.

-My home planet will be in a solar system. I will explore this solar system, methodically. I will name the planets, as well as the fauna found on each. But my home planet is where I'll return after each trek.

-Since I remember reading somewhere that you could blast holes in the ground (to search for caverns or something along those lines), I will spend a good bit of time carving a massive sign on the face of my planet. It will be a welcome sign for any eager travelers who happen to come to my little corner of the universe.

-Then I hide in my cave. And wait for visitors. And when they come and land on my planet, I make them pay for their insolence.

Space madness.

My sides... Was a great read, would read again.

blackjaw

Here's my plan:

-Since I remember reading somewhere that you could blast holes in the ground (to search for caverns or something along those lines), I will spend a good bit of time carving a massive sign on the face of my planet. It will be a welcome sign for any eager travelers who happen to come to my little corner of the universe.

Space madness.

I just want to make a planet of holes, devoid of all life and anything worthwhile (no minerals, animals, plants, nothing.)

Then I will weep softly in my cave.

Since the real difficulty this game presents to the player seems to be in understanding what it's about, maybe Hello Games should add a difficulty select that starts by prompting the player "Do you know why you're playing this game?" If the player says no, the game tells them, "The princess is trapped at the center of the galaxy. Save Her!" and loads a special seed for the game galaxy that consists of 10-15 planets, tops, comprising only the most action-packed, bro-tastic areas of the full game. Existential crisis averted.

Lol this is great. People tend to forget this is an INDIE game.

I just want to make a planet of holes, devoid of all life and anything worthwhile (no minerals, animals, plants, nothing.)

Then I will weep softly in my cave.

Kindred spirits, a universe apart.

If you ever get the gumption to go exploring, keep an eye out for me and my home planet. I'll give you a welcome you'll never forget...

...heh heh heh.

Top Bottom