• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky has the 5th largest peak player count on Steam (by game) since 2012

Amazon's hourly chart is really hourly or it can be for 1,2 days ago?
Because every time I open it, NMS has the #2 and #4 places (US) and #1 (UK), even after these reviews.

Well, has anything else that is major been released recently? I mean, chart positions don't necessarily mean huge sales if there is no competition.

Amazon's hourly chart is really hourly or it can be for 1,2 days ago?
Because every time I open it, NMS has the #2 and #4 places (US) and #1 (UK), even after these reviews.
Games been at the top of all the charts(at least top 10) of steam,amazon and GameStop since it's first release date announcement.

I am fascinated by the idea behind this game but I won't be buying it yet. I'll be waiting for patches to smooth out the technical issues and for the developers to maybe add some more meat to the game.

Dunno, I have a 970 and i5 4690k and it ran like crap at the onset, but after using Nvidias optimized settings which were exactly the same it runs at 60

Great to hear that it's a success. I'm still interested in it, but might hold of a purchase for a while, since I've been jumping from new release to new release for too long now, and need a break. But these numbers mean that the devs can continue to work on this game for a long time, so that it will continue to improve.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Congrats to the team for the success, triple A price with an indie budget. The profit margin will have triple A studios looking on in envy. Sean has no doubt become a multi millionaire overnight.

Time to fire up Visual studio and work on a game.

Sean Murray & co. deserve every chance at success. They are a hardworking and ambitious team with a lot of passion. That they managed to ship such a challenging title through all of the adversity they faced is really something. The issues with the PC version will be rectified swiftly, I'm sure.

Meanwhile...

giphy.gif

danthefan

I am fascinated by the idea behind this game but I won't be buying it yet. I'll be waiting for patches to smooth out the technical issues and for the developers to maybe add some more meat to the game.

Yep, exactly what I'm going to do having seen the reaction.

Tbh I think the fact you can't see people isn't a huge deal, I never expected this to be multiplayer. What concerns me is the gameplay seems quite shallow and a bit repetitive. Assuming they bring out some meaty enough updates, I will probably buy it in the future.

I'm happy enough it's sold well because it should encourage them to keep going and improve it.

bj00rn_

Banned
Sean Murray & co. deserve every chance at success. They are a hardworking and ambitious team with a lot of passion[/img]

Exactly! It's not right people. We should rather protect these passionate delicate teams working their asses off to make shitty products. No, throw consumer rights out the window and put a ban on complaints against over-promised and broken products now. Remember; they've worked so hard on this, why should they have to go through criticism on top of that.

Nokterian

Sure they deserve succes but i refunded it because this port is just the worst..one of the worst i experienced in a longtime.

Exactly! It's not right people. We should rather protect these passionate delicate teams working their asses off to make shitty products. No, throw consumer rights out the window and put a ban on complaints against over-promised and broken products now. Remember; they've worked so hard on this, why should they have to go through criticism on top of that.

Did you buy the PC version? Did it fail to run for you?

I paid for the PS4 version, and I got what I paid for, I feel.

congrats, enjoying it so far after some usual tinkering with the settings.

Ah. I see. So not every single last person who bought the game (PC) is having issues.

Here I was thinking the haters were onto something, with the game being universal trash, garbage performance for everyone, boring and dull for everyone, every single review giving it a complete and utter failing grade.

I see. So there is still a large portion of people who have the game running well and are enjoying themselves. Such a thing is not completely ridiculous. Got it.

In what context?

I don't think that's typical of game launches, the US is a huge part of a typical launch market (and west EU, both of which will be full price markets).

Overall, the US accounts for 25% and Europe a bit more than that.

Ah. I see. So not every single last person who bought the game (PC) is having issues.

Here I was thinking the haters were onto something, with the game being universal trash, garbage performance for everyone, boring and dull for everyone, every single review giving it a complete and utter failing grade.

I see. So there is still a large portion of people who have the game running well and are enjoying themselves. Such a thing is not completely ridiculous. Got it.

Because some people aren't facing issues, the ones who do should shut up?

What are you even getting at here?

Hasney

Disabled the shader cache and it's buttery smooth now. This is pretty much perfect.

Arkham Knight-like is hilarious hyperbole.

Overall, the US accounts for 25% and Europe a bit more than that.

Because some people aren't facing issues, the ones who do should shut up?

What are you even getting at here?

Have you seen the review threads? You do realize this game is driving people batshit insane, on both the positive AND negative sides of the fence.

The haters are outright trashing it mercilessly and LOL'ing at anything having to do with the game, laying down flame bait for people who are enjoying themselves with inane comparisons to shit like spore and calling the OT a "circle jerk". They eat up every opportunity to vindicate and validate their opinions with a rabid fury I've never seen. That bullshit about calling Murray out on being a "liar" about so-called "MP" elements is a fucking joke. For YEARS the dude said it would be nigh-on impossible to meet with another player. People are freaking out over nothing.

Meanwhile, idiots who have some weird preoccupation with the game being perceived as "perfect" (and it is absolutely not, of course) are posting pathetic shit on metacritic and DDoS'ing Jim Sterling, while looking at the game with some rose-tinted glasses AND drinking serious amounts of kool-aid.

It is neither the shit show the haters are making it out to be (aside from those having PC issues of course) nor is it the "be all, end all" that some are saying. If you're like me, you're finding it to be a perfectly enjoyable experience with some obvious blemishes and things that could be done better.

The discussion on this game is the only real "shit show".

Have you seen the review threads? You do realize this game is driving people batshit insane, on both the positive AND negative sides of the fence.

The haters are outright trashing the game mercilessly and LOL'ing at anything having to do with the game, laying down flame bait for people who do enjoy the game with inane comparisons to shit like spore and calling the OT a "circle jerk". They eat up every opportunity to vindicate and validate their opinions with a rabid fury I've never seen. That bullshit about calling Murray out on being a "liar" about so-called "MP" elements is a fucking joke. For YEARS the dude said it would be nigh-on impossible to meet with another player. People are freaking out over nothing.

Meanwhile, idiots who have some weird preoccupation with the game being perceived as "perfect" (and it is absolutely not, of course) are posting pathetic shit on metacritic and DDoS'ing Jim Sterling, while looking at the game with some rose-tinted glasses AND drinking serious amounts of kool-aid.

It is neither the shit show the haters are making it out to be (aside from those having PC issues of course) nor is it the "be all, end all" that some are saying. If you're like me, you're finding it to be a perfectly enjoyable experience with some obvious blemishes and things that could be done better.

While there is certainly some discussion to be had regarding Murray's persistent vagueness regarding the game's online elements (or lack thereof), you've pretty much hit the nail on the head here... That discussion doesn't seem like it's going to happen on Neogaf.

While there is certainly some discussion to be had regarding Murray's persistent vagueness regarding the game's online elements (or lack thereof), you've pretty much hit the nail on the head here... That discussion doesn't seem like it's going to happen on Neogaf.

Honestly, this is like Uncharted 3 all over again. As in, NeoGAF at its worst. (though the OT discussions seem pretty level; people just talking about their discoveries and enjoying the game, and if someone isn't enjoying it, they simply say "Hey, I don't think this is for me after playing it for 10 hours or so because of X, Y, and Z")

T.O.P

Banned
I'm expecting it to drop hard during today

Had a friend gifting me the game and holy damn the whole things gets insanely boring 3-4 hours in

I would've been mad pissed if i paid 60$ for this

WaterAstro

It's funny hearing how some people think they've seen everything in a few hours when I haven't even left my first start system for like 20 hours.

Don't know about best selling when you can refund broken/incomplete games within 2 hours on steam

Player activity has nothing to do with sales. It is actually more accurate than the sales number themselves.

There's a difference between complaining and throwing rocks at those who already are down.

Let them breath and let them try and work things out. and those who think that the devs are acting with malicious intent really ought to chill.

The devs own the responsibility to work out fixes for performance issues and bugs, But those can't deal with the risk that things like this happen maybe shouldn't not be there day 1.

The product should work, that's given. But with software there's always risk. Always.

There's a difference between complaining and throwing rocks at those who already are down.

Let them breath and let them try and work things out. and those who think that the devs are acting with malicious intent really ought to chill.

The devs own the responsibility to work out fixes for performance issues and bugs, But those can't deal with the risk that things like this happen maybe shouldn't not be there day 1.

The product should work, that's given. But with software there's always risk. Always.

Thank you. Quoted for truth.

test_account

XP-39C²

The haters are outright trashing it mercilessly and LOL'ing at anything having to do with the game, laying down flame bait for people who are enjoying themselves with inane comparisons to shit like spore and calling the OT a "circle jerk". They eat up every opportunity to vindicate and validate their opinions with a rabid fury I've never seen. That bullshit about calling Murray out on being a "liar" about so-called "MP" elements is a fucking joke. For YEARS the dude said it would be nigh-on impossible to meet with another player. People are freaking out over nothing.

Pretty much. People need to realize that often its the way things are being said/presented thats the real issue and what people mostly react to, not that people have legitmate issues with a something. I also think that someone is getting tired that negative stuff is being brought up all the time, especially when theres multiple threads about the same game.

dakun

really enjoying the game on PC. (It's not broken for me)
Hopefully they can resolve the problems quick so they can focus on content updates soon.

kAmui-

Congrats to the team for the success, triple A price with an indie budget. The profit margin will have triple A studios looking on in envy. Sean has no doubt become a multi millionaire overnight.

Time to fire up Visual studio and work on a game.

This is a joke post, right? I can't tell.

Ferr986

Can't be quoted enough. This is pretty much what's happening. It's so tiresome.

As someone who's put in a lot of time into No Man's Sky for the past several days, he's right. There are no gas giants. Way too many planets have life and vegetation. There are very few dead planets (which if you think about it, is the norm when you consider the life / no life ratio). The ratio of living planets to dead planets in this game should be inversed. And there are no ringed-planets in the close to 20 hours I've already put in. Fuck man, no planet I've come across in the game so far looks as cool as Saturn, a fucking planet in or own goddamn solar system.

Also, all the buildings, shelters, and structures outside of the monoliths are the exact same fucking design, you'd think different aliens and cultures would design them differently.

You can argue that having that many dead planets would be boring - but I beg to differ. It would make the concept of exploration and specifically the joy of finding one with lush life and vegetation all the more rewarding and worthwhile. A 6 to 1 ratio of death to life would have been much better. And even that, technically isn't realistic.

There is no persistent progression on anything outside of the number of inventory slots you have. There is no mother base ship you can build, customize, enhance for example. You'd think that would be one of the first things they thought of.

It's not so much that he is right or wrong, but that so many people find the review helpful despite 3 hours of gameplay.

today it hasnt topped 105k, maybe people got refunded. runs like ass on my 1070

At 140k and judging by general Steam activity patterns, that'll probably be the peak for the day. Steam user reviews at 57% which is up from yesterday.

I don't doubt that some people will get refunds on the game, but even so, I'd be shocked if this game doesn't end up being one of the best-selling games of the year.

I think the problem is that some people define themselves by their taste in media and so a high profile game that they don't like is viewed as a threat to their own identity. Similar for the opposite - a game that they love that people ridicule is viewed as threat. And this is escalated in this game's case because it's heavily associated with Sony so you've got console warriors on both sides fighting.

Elite has a non-Steam client, the Steam version came out later as well.

It's Mixed like NMS but at least the game is stable.

It's stable now, 2 years later. No Man's Sky is a day old. I know it's cool to hate NMS but don't act like Elite is great, it's not. Reviews show that.

It's stable now, 2 years later. No Man's Sky is a day old. I know it's cool to hate NMS but don't act like Elite is great, it's not. Reviews show that.

It's got 80 metacritic over 54 reviews. That's pretty good. And when it came out, it was in early access. So of course it'll be unstable when it first hit the market.

NMS released as a completed product. It's simply not acceptable to launch in such a shitty state.

Won't PC numbers be a tiny fraction of PS4's?

I'm guessing lots of buy-and-try refunds.
I wonder if you guys are vastly overestimating how many people even know you can get a refund on Steam.

This place and forums like it are echo chambers for more hardcore players, and certainly don't represent the average player.

Maybe Valve has released some data that sheds some light?

Top Bottom