• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky: RAW E3 FOOTAGE with no commentary (Dat Sound)

Status
Not open for further replies.

woen

Video quality is meh but the sound design well, sounds deep and fits the art direction (WHEN THE GUY DON'T TALK AT LEAST)

I still don't know if I'll be able to play the game more than 2 or 3 hours when I played all the mechanics and visited 15 planets...

I don't get what you do in the game.

You won't obviously find any of those :
image.php

65daysofstatic is doing the OST, so that's going to be awesome no matter what.

What I'm liking too is the minimalistic UI.

No minimap or anything most importantly. Sometime I feel that the UI of some games really is a hindrance to enjoying the exploration aspect of it fully.

Try playing GTA V with no HUD, it's truly something else.

I feel like I can't truly explore in Witcher 3 for example because I have this minmap that is showing my pinpoint location at all times, and I can't turn it off.

Can't wait for this game.

Are there even enough words in all the languages combined to assign vanilla/pre-discovery names to every planet? Even when combining with numeral representations? I suppose combining with numbers makes it possible as numbers are infinite. Hmmm.

Inventing your own language is better. an 8 syllable word made from a 256 syllable language would cover the needed 64 bits, but you could make lots of complex rules to make it more interesting than that.

RedSwirl

I'm still trying to estimate the math on how many galaxies this game might have. Of course we don't actually know how many planets an actual galaxy might have.

The only real estimate we have to go on is that our own real galaxy has something like 400 billion stars.

Hello Games confirmed each star in NMS will have somewhere between five and a dozen planets orbiting it.

Chipotle

I'm liking the look of this more each time I see it. One of the things in hoping for the most is it suiting different moods: so I can be picky and check loads out sometimes and just have a relaxing hour or so exploring as well.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
This isn't some xeno-zoology game. The whole point of the game is about exploring, not counting how many animals you can find. I want seeing life on a planet to be a meaningful moment. A lot of planets should just be flat out inhospitable. I want to land on a planet that looks like an Earth in the making, before life took root. I want to land on a planet where only plant life has occurred. I want to land on a planet that has the signs of mass extinction. I want to land on a planet that is nothing but ocean and one that has lost its oceans. Things like that. I'm going to be disappointed if they make the universe so alive when it shouldn't be.

This. So much this.

This harkens back to the 80's sci-fi retro where all we did was use our imaginations. Now we get to explore those very imaginations. Will be even better with VR support.

Saw this on Reddit. Pay attention to the mountain on the left, gives a good sense of scale.
y3rO10.gif

Good eye! Not every planet will be that big but it doesn't matter because the scale is still crazy. My PG'd island in Proteus is minuscule by comparison but it still takes a decent amount of time to explore thoroughly and I'm always endlessly fascinated. NMS is poised to totally scratch that itch for years. This gif won't satisfy the BUTWADDAYADOers but fuck those people.

kyser73

"Ford Prefect is a fictional character in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by the British author Douglas Adams. He is the only character other than the protagonist, Arthur Dent, to appear throughout the entire Hitchhiker's saga. His role as Arthur's friend – and rescuer, when the Earth is unexpectedly demolished to make way for a hyperspace bypass at the start of the story – is often expository, as Ford is an experienced galactic hitch-hiker and explains that he is actually an alien journalist, a field researcher for the titular Guide itself, and not an out-of-work actor from Guildford as he had hitherto claimed."

Coincidence? Don't panic.

I think the OT needs to start off with this quote:

"Space is big. Really big. You just won’t believe how vastly hugely mindbogglingly big it is. I mean you may think it’s a long way down the road to the chemist’s, but that’s just peanuts to space."

legacyzero

Banned
Good eye! Not every planet will be that big but it doesn't matter because the scale is still crazy. My PG'd island in Proteus is minuscule by comparison but it still takes a decent amount of time to explore thoroughly and I'm always endlessly fascinated. NMS is poised to totally scratch that itch for years. This gif won't satisfy the BUTWADDAYADOers but fuck those people.

No Man's Sky |OT| "But what do you..." - BANNED

kyser73

I hope we can get good mod support in the OT, otherwise it'll be a trainwreck.

In response to Raven77, SM has stated that there will be life on ~10% of the planets, and complex life on ~10% of those...so there will still be a lot of planets to run into with complex life on them...

I would totally watch a streaming Let's Play of NMS with Neil deGrasse Tyson or Bill Nye. Fucking hell that'd be boss.

Lol if only...

I am super excited.

However I hope they implement some interactions with npcs. I like characters

I love me some npcs as well but I don't think we'll see a bunch but honestly who knows? Someone, or thing, has gotta be flying those ships and maintaining those space stations and settlements. Honestly, even if they were just animated character portraits a la Star Control 2 I'd be into it. All that stuff will likely (and hopefully) be kept under wraps until the game actually ships.

Two Words

Something else I hope is that planets aren't singular in ecology and geography. I hope you can land on a planet that has the same kind of diversity that Earth has, if not more.

Something else I hope is that planets aren't singular in ecology and geography. I hope you can land on a planet that has the same kind of diversity that Earth has, if not more.

My understanding is that they (multi-biome, 'earth like') exist but are rare. The drive to discover things like that will be tremendous.

Info translated from this German article

1. It seems you can be pardoned by the sentinals. It also seems like there is some kind of more agressive robot type:
This is an excerpt from the translation:
"In general, the game is not particularly designed for aggression, the "citizens" rather respond to your actions. If you shoot, fire back the droids. If you take a step back and make a bow to the Robos on steel stilts, hear the floating Securitys flashing and end their alarm status. "In another demo, we have landed on a planet the Replicators who are more hostile.""

2. It also seems like you can sell your services to traders as a seurity ship:
This is an excerpt from the translation:
"The Space Part feels like Eve Online or Elite Dangerous, because you can trade, sell a security ship your service for safe
crossing or assaulted as a pirate merchant ships."

xBladeM6x

This is awesome. Love how the game sounds. Though I'm betting many people who go into this game for the sake of reviewing it, won't realize the sounds are also procedural. Also:

I feel it's my obligation to do this, since I still see people asking. Here is:

It's not possible to misunderstand what the game is, what it's about, what you'll be doing, how it works, and how it's possible on a technical level after seeing those.

wow...game looks crazy.

The only element I want added or hope is there is the ability to build your own space. Out of all of these planets, I would like to call one of them "Home".

So I hope the team adds some creation tools for us to build basic houses, bridges, roads, etc...

Other than that, looks like a game you can enjoy for the rest of the gen and beyond.

dalin80

Banned
wow...game looks crazy.

The only element I want added or hope is there is the ability to build your own space. Out of all of these planets, I would like to call one of them "Home".

So I hope the team adds some creation tools for us to build basic houses, bridges, roads, etc...

Other than that, looks like a game you can enjoy for the rest of the gen and beyond.

I think you are going to end up a bit disappointed there, Sean Murray in the various interviews so far doesn't seem to want to encourage gameplay around putting down routes and building homes but rather keep progressing and exploring. There is a whole list of home/base features that I would love but it just doesn't seem to be the focus so far, on the hand a bit of a shame but on the other it is an exploration game made by a small team so you can't really expect too much that deviates from that goal.

RedSwirl

So a recent Polgon story also suggests that not only will toxic planets require an upgraded space suit, but you'll also need one for planets that are too cold or bathed in too much solar radiation. I imagine there will also be planets that are too hot because they're too close to their host stars.

So a recent Polgon story also suggests that not only will toxic planets require an upgraded space suit, but you'll also need one for planets that are too cold or bathed in too much solar radiation. I imagine there will also be planets that are too hot because they're too close to their host stars.
thats-good.gif

amnesiac

I hope it means a release for August or September :)

Aren't IGN firsts generally for games coming not too long after?

Just took a look at some past IGN Firsts

Xcom 2 IGN First June 2015, releasing November 2015

Rock Band 4 IGN First May 2015, releasing late 2015

Witcher 3 IGN First April 2015, released May 2015

Bloodborne IGN First February 2015, released March 2015

so yeah, No Man's Sky shouldn't be too far off :)

Crom

The limitations they've put in place-- if you can call procedurally generating all that complexity a "limitation"-- is a design decision and not because of the number of people (14 as of the most recent info on their website) working on it.

I really can't wait (/s) for the eventual threads full of people saying with a straight face how much better NMS would have been if it had been developed by some 500-person team at Ubisoft.

haha yeah this is the key to happiness with most things.

Curious as to what you ended up thinking about the game. Unfortunately I was right and I don;t like it. I was wondering why so many people had unrealistic expectations for a game made by a 10 man team

Curious as to what you ended up thinking about the game. Unfortunately I was right and I don;t like it. I was wondering why so many people had unrealistic expectations for a game made by a 10 man team

Damn that's a bump and a half just to say you first impressions were right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom