• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky: RAW E3 FOOTAGE with no commentary (Dat Sound)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Game looks awesome, I just hope that there is a story line or a quest line that I can do as well as branching off and doing all the cool crazy minecraft-y stuff.
There is no storyline I think (except for: Reach the middle of the universe, of course), and there's not really much "crazy minecrafty" stuff either. You mine, but not in the sense of building tunnels into a planet and use the dirt to build giant skulls or whatevs.

Mononoke

Banned
Looks incredible. I still wish this was a VR game eventually. I could see myself getting lost in this world for hours if it was VR. Also I love 65daysofstatic.

I only watched a fraction of the footage and came away even more convinced that this game, man this game (!) is going to blow me away.
I don't need urgency and / or strictly defined goals, when the atmosphere and feeling of exploring space is done so well. Reaching the center of the galaxy is enough purpose for me.

Looks incredible. I still wish this was a VR game eventually. I could see myself getting lost in this world for hours if it was VR. Also I love 65daysofstatic.

I'm wondering if that's why they didn't announce a release date. From interviews with Sean, he was saying he wanted to announce a release date at E3 but "something" stopped him.

creatchee

Question: once a planet is "discovered" and procedurally generated, is it stored somewhere in the cloud for when (if) somebody else goes there or you return, or is it regenerated on new and return visits?

Question: once a planet is "discovered" and procedurally generated, is it stored somewhere in the cloud for when (if) somebody else goes there or you return, or is it regenerated on new and return visits?

Procedural generation is done in real time for everyone and will give the same results for everyone every time. Certain things about it are stored like extinct species and resources, and maybe the planet name (is the name customisable?) but not the details of the planet surface or anything like that, they don't need to be.

http://glslsandbox.com/e#26148.0

I don't get what you do in the game.

Right now we only have words on what you do mining, crafting, upgrading your suit/ship, space battles, recording info on planets, etc

The issue is every video we have seen has just show people walking around or flying the ship. That is the huge problem when they show this game. If it has great depth it shouldn't be hard to do something new each time you show off the game right?

system11

Chromatic aberration is making me very sad indeed :/

Also possibly just youtube or the video encoding, I can't see a single non-blended frame, double vision everywhere.

fin

One thing that is really interesting about this game is how they've only been showing primitive life. But playing the odds, somewhere there must be intelligent life. Just like in the Milky Way, there are so many planets and suns that odds are there is another planet with intelligent life and that's really intriguing to me. Like finding a planet with cavemen or maybe even a planet like 16th century Earth or an Ewok village. What about the home world for all these AI ships and drones? Maybe a planet with 100% artificial life run by machines?

I WANT TO BELIEVE.

Education about space science is very bad globally, it's barely taught in schools. Just recently I spoke to someone who didn't know that our Sun was a star. This was the not first occurence, I've come across a few people that didn't know this. I do work related to astronomy and computer science (image processing, etc) and was speaking to university students where this cropped up. The issue of understanding what a galaxy is another problem. They're very abstract basic concepts that everyone should know.

Yeah and at the center of every galaxy is there not a super massive black hole? Or something at the center to produce enough gravity to make everything orbit around it. Pretty excited to see what they do.

Handy Fake

Right now we only have words on what you do mining, crafting, upgrading your suit/ship, space battles, recording info on planets, etc

The issue is every video we have seen has just show people walking around or flying the ship. That is the huge problem when they show this game. If it has great depth it shouldn't be hard to do something new each time you show off the game right?

They don't want to show you. They've been saying this for nigh on a year now. They're wanting players to go in cold.

Soi-Fong

I'm real real excited for this game, but I know it's not gonna match Elite Dangerous for me w/ my PC, the Rift and my HOTAS sticks just in the immersion factor.. I'm also worried about the flying mechanics since I've been spoiled by Elite's amazing flight mechanics.

Still hoping it can offer something new though for me.

Ishan

I don't get this game.

1) trading seems to be the more relatable notion to me
Essentially finding economic inequalities for profit . Btw Sean Murray was surprised that was the most common way ppl play the game I'm not ... It's the I'm learning stuff to enable my goal of hyperdrive upgrade

2) exploration
Wow I get to name my own planet
I get to be an astronaut
I explore the universe like Star Trek and find new species

Name a new planet in a virtual world ? I just thought of a planet in my head and named it babam . Do anything for you ?

I get to be an astronaut. Imagine you're the only human left and can explore anywhere .... It's amazing at first but after a while you want someone or something to relate to . If it's just about experiencing new places then a game like dreams is better a lot of those experiences will be far more emotional an though provoking that anything a procedurally generated game will have .

This is like Star Trek . Notice how the main thing Star Trek ppl have to deal with is problems and issues with human near human or post human intelligence and the issues and conflicts that come with that .

3) this is like minecraft
Minecraft let's you create things . What am I creating here .

4) space battles
Okay this might be relevant like the trading option so like a shooter for credits to get me to the center of the galaxy .

So 1 and 4 make some sense 2 and 3 do not . And 1 and 4 do not seem to be the focus of the game . So yes I've seen enough videos and I'm not some uninformed person asking what do you do . I still am not sold on this game in fact I'm less sold on this than I was when I first saw it . And I'm sure there are many others like me .

So if you've read what I wrote tell me what am I missing ? Or is this simply not the game for me (entirely possible different ppl different preferences etc etc)

Edit: of course the argument could be made minecraft you're crafting in virtual worlds or dreams it's all virtual so similarly virtual exploration of planets is it's own reward but I don't see it currently maybe I have to play this game .... As of now I'm thinking more trader or space battler if I get this for the majority of my time and there better be something cool at the center. :p

acm2000

the game is seriously ugly, but with the sheer scale theyre going for i guess its to be expected.

how fun the game is gonna be is a whole different matter as atm it looks like it will get old very fast.

Ishan

the game is seriously ugly, but with the sheer scale theyre going for i guess its to be expected.

how fun the game is gonna be is a whole different matter as atm it looks like it will get old very fast.
Also this as far as exploration aspects

This game will be really lonely .... Not sure I like that ...

Isn't space supposed to be lonely?

I'm looking forward to exploring these lonely galaxies late at night or in the early hours of the morning. The vast space, beautiful sound, and knowledge that likely no one has ever stepped place where you just landed is an experience that no game before has been able to provide.

No Man's Sky is going to be amazing.

todahawk

giphy.gif

Mononoke

Banned
I'm wondering if that's why they didn't announce a release date. From interviews with Sean, he was saying he wanted to announce a release date at E3 but "something" stopped him.

This would def be a killer app for project Morpheus if they could pull it off.

Ishan

Isn't space supposed to be lonely?

I'm looking forward to exploring these lonely galaxies late at night or in the early hours of the morning. The vast space, beautiful sound, and knowledge that likely no one has ever stepped place where you just landed is an experience that no game before has been able to provide.

No Man's Sky is going to be amazing.

It is . Humans are social . That's why solitary confinement is used as punishment and why astronauts even embarking on a 3 month mission have to train for it . There is only so much fancy stars you wil gaze at before you go okay I'm done . And that's for something as wonderful as the real universe . And this is a procedurally generated world using current tech .

traveler

Not Wario
Metroid's quality comes from design- the deliberately and intricately connected world, the paced and placed upgrades, the boss encounters, the art design and the way it tells a story. A billion randomly generated worlds will have none of that.

And the whole "what do you do?" discussion misses the point- both sides of it. Yes, there are "things" to do in this game- I don't really see how this is still a question- but they're almost explicitly an afterthought. I don't like shooting things for the sake of shooting things or crafting or trading or whatever just to have something to do- that's the Ubisoft mentality. I enjoy these things when they are developed and refined into substantial gameplay.

The action, be it shooting or exploring, is simply the abstraction of the gameplay. When the game itself and its very mechanics haven't been given time, care, and depth, it does not matter what the abstraction is; the whole thing will feel hollow. See Assassin's Creed, GTA, or nearly every other open world game in existence.

Unit24

They don't want to show you. They've been saying this for nigh on a year now. They're wanting players to go in cold.

...What? They want to keep the game's mechanics a secret? I understand when developers want to hide their game's story, but this doesn't make much sense to me. All it does is make me worry.

Handy Fake

...What? They want to keep the game's mechanics a secret? I understand when developers want to hide their game's story, but this doesn't make much sense to me. All it does is make me worry.

I'm the polar opposite - I'm sick of knowing everything about a game by the time I play it.

kris.

Banned

Then worry. Going in cold is the whole point. Discover the game. What's the fun in having every single little mechanic spelled out for you before the game is released? It's much more fun to find it all out for yourself. I'm surprised Hello Games have spilled this much, to be honest.

Just wait until the game comes out and read impressions then.

It is . Humans are social . That's why solitary confinement is used as punishment and why astronauts even embarking on a 3 month mission have to train for it . There is only so much fancy stars you wil gaze at before you go okay I'm done . And that's for something as wonderful as the real universe . And this is a procedurally generated world using current tech .

Some humans are social, yet not all are. I play many social games, not all have to be. This solitary experience is something that I'm excited about and I think others are too. And there's the off chance you may see someone else in the game, that would be a special and interesting encounter.

At this point there ought to be a "Now Officially Recognized 'No Man's Sky' Skeptics Thread (BUTWATDOUDO)" since every NMS thread, no matter how specific the topic-- in this case, the sound design gleaned from that footage-- degenerates into the same parade of concern trolling about the overall scope of the game, "the point", multiplayer, etc.. all things that are totally reasonable to want to talk about (though, given the info we now have, seem incredibly hard-headed) however do nothing but derail threads like this made to focus in on a particular aspect.

Want to be contrarian? That's fine. Don't like the sounds you heard? Think procedural generation is a buzzword that will keep the sound design from having cohesion or make things sound awful? Have opinions about what the sounds we did hear possibly revealed about NMS? Cool. Let's talk about that.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Those games have exhibited some sense of greater purpose in their videos at this point before their release.

By which I think you really mean those games tended to show some more exciting action/narrative moments that aren't even necessarily playable, but do proxy well for actually having a greater purpose or not.

Let me ask you: Is either of these necessarily a greater purpose than the other? If so, why?

Save the Universe vs Explore the Universe

When they haven't, people have questions about what it is that you do in them.
What games are you thinking of that have been challenged about their purpose even remotely to the degree that NMS has? Plenty of games get revealed/previewed by just showing the core gameplay "loop" with little revealed about a core purpose and yet no one questions that purpose. NMS has been presented the same way - what you do in the game isn't a mystery and the purpose isn't either. It doesn't answer all questions on those counts, but what game does pre-release?

Unless I'm missing something, they haven't yet shown off or discussed the central pillar of what motivates the player in between the point of going to the center of the universe and any moment before that once you've attained interstellar travel in NMS.
Once you've attained interstellar travel, you don't just hit a "WIN" button and fast travel to the center of the universe. So I guess that answers my question as to whether you'd consider "Explore the Universe" as a valid purpose in and of itself...

Minecraft had the built-in hook of building and crafting as a necessity and main activity in addition to exploration and combat with the monsters. It also has a loose goal in dealing with hidden strongholds and looting them for rare items.
With MC, there's simply the creative element of building logic-based mechanisms and sourcing their constituent materials while socializing and collaborating and fostering other life as well as building structures that you want to or need to in order to survive or make your area more hospitable.
Where does any of this *necessarily* establish greater sense of purpose, especially since most of it is already attributable to NMS as well?

I'm the polar opposite - I'm sick of knowing everything about a game by the time I play it.

I'm the same. I doubt this game is going to be full price and I'd rather dip into this knowing absolutely nothing about the game. I think it's quite a good tactic for Space games. Not knowing and exploring everything by yourself for the first time is part of it's charm. I mean I love going to random star systems on Elite Dangerous and just cruising around. But I don't even do anything. I don't find it boring, more therapeutic to be honest. Just to get lost in a different space and time :)

Handy Fake

I'm the same. I doubt this game is going to be full price and I'd rather dip into this knowing absolutely nothing about the game. I think it's quite a good tactic for Space games. Not knowing and exploring everything by yourself for the first time is part of it's charm. I mean I love going to random star systems on Elite Dangerous and just cruising around. But I don't even do anything. I don't find it boring, more therapeutic to be honest. Just to get lost in a different space and time :)

For we are the true explorers. ;)

Found this incredible picture album on reddit made by miserydiscovery that takes pictures of real life places and makes them look like it was recently discovered in NMS.

CsKoCoo.jpg

V3emcBN.png

B4ZHKQP.png

Full album

This reeeeallllyy makes me hope they vastly improve the draw distance.

dalin80

Banned
I want to explore alone, I would hate to get to a planet and realise that someone has already been there and seen everything there is to see, that just makes things feel less special but there does need to be a way for players to interact if they want to.

The trade stations around each planet are massive hulks and should provide a way for people to stay in touch. Even if they only have a simple room inside with terminals for a message board, chat rooms and a facility for players to fight each other in a 'simulation' setting* Even a background radio channel with in-setting 'news' and updates on various issues with podcasts from the devs and player contributors broadcast.

*probably beyond the small dev team at this point but features like setting up clans and having small skirmishes would keep many entertained and provide initiative to upgrade your capabilities for those who don't have an interest in just exploration.

orava

Finally. I'm sick of devs spouting hyperbole over same game clips and journalists asking stupid questions like where does all this fit etc.

Crom

One thing that is really interesting about this game is how they've only been showing primitive life. But playing the odds, somewhere there must be intelligent life. Just like in the Milky Way, there are so many planets and suns that odds are there is another planet with intelligent life and that's really intriguing to me. Like finding a planet with cavemen or maybe even a planet like 16th century Earth or an Ewok village. What about the home world for all these AI ships and drones? Maybe a planet with 100% artificial life run by machines?

I WANT TO BELIEVE.

Way too ambitious. They don't have the man power to pull something off like that with a 10 person team.

Honestly I suspect that there will be little variation between planets except aesthetics. I can't imagine them programing enough different behavior types to include things like cavemen. Wish this was made by a bigger team instead of only 10 people.

Handy Fake

I want to explore alone, I would hate to get to a planet and realise that someone has already been there and seen everything there is to see, that just makes things feel less special but there does need to be a way for players to interact if they want to.

The trade stations around each planet are massive hulks and should provide a way for people to stay in touch. Even if they only have a simple room inside with terminals for a message board, chat rooms and a facility for players to fight each other in a 'simulation' setting* Even a background radio channel with in-setting 'news' and updates on various issues with podcasts from the devs and player contributors broadcast.

*probably beyond the small dev team at this point but features like setting up clans and having small skirmishes would keep many entertained and provide initiative to upgrade your capabilities for those who don't have an interest in just exploration.

I agree with their vision of it being a solitary experience. But part of me does kind of like the idea of the long dead radio/beacon unit sat in my cockpit suddenly bursting into life with a burst of static as I come within range of another human broadcasting a signal on the offchance...

Crom

Metroid's quality comes from design- the deliberately and intricately connected world, the paced and placed upgrades, the boss encounters, the art design and the way it tells a story. A billion randomly generated worlds will have none of that.

And the whole "what do you do?" discussion misses the point- both sides of it. Yes, there are "things" to do in this game- I don't really see how this is still a question- but they're almost explicitly an afterthought. I don't like shooting things for the sake of shooting things or crafting or trading or whatever just to have something to do- that's the Ubisoft mentality. I enjoy these things when they are developed and refined into substantial gameplay.

The action, be it shooting or exploring, is simply the abstraction of the gameplay. When the game itself and its very mechanics haven't been given time, care, and depth, it does not matter what the abstraction is; the whole thing will feel hollow. See Assassin's Creed, GTA, or nearly every other open world game in existence.

I 100% agree. This to me seems like huge empty worlds that I would compare to Assassin's Creed (except Assassin's Creed actually has designers hand placing objects so that you can traverse them) I just mean that in the sense that the world is huge but there is nothing to do in it except to go from icon to icon. This seems even worse because at least you could climb on building and things in AC.

I just don't see the fun in exploring randomly (procedurally) generated planets that will consist of animals looking different but behaving almost all the same. Blasting a rock with a laser to get minerals and then rinsing and repeating. Seems so empty despite having millions of planets.

Keeping my eye on this to see how many actual unique experiences come out of it. The actually gameplay that they have shown though looks boring and repetitive (even though the art style is awesome). People are not being honest with themselves about this game. I have read so many comments about people thinking they can do whatever they want in it like wanting they want to join friends and become traders or bandits together. That won't happen in the game. Realize what this game is.

I would love for them to do something more with a bigger team similar to this but with handcrafted planets where you actually interact and discover things that are truly unique from planet to planet or end up in crazy scenarios that you have to escape....even like the Interstellar water planet that has a wave coming towards you.

I would love for them to do something more with a bigger team similar to this but with handcrafted planets where you actually interact and discover things that are truly unique from planet to planet or end up in crazy scenarios that you have to escape....even like the Interstellar water planet that has a wave coming towards you.

We can't have 'handcrafted planets' with current technology. That would take up way too much storage space, like thousands of terabytes.

Crom

We can't have 'handcrafted planets' with current technology. That would take up way too much storage space, like thousands of terabytes.

You could. For example you could have 200 planets in the game. 20 of them could be handcrafted with only sections of them being available (not entire planets of course because no one could design that) The rest could be procedurally generated with just things like materials that you have to find.

MADGAME

The game doesn't seem overly demanding from a graphics perspective, but I have no idea how much resources procedurally generating a game world of this scope uses. From a speculation standpoint what are the chances this will be 60fps?

You could. For example you could have 200 planets in the game. 20 of them could be handcrafted with only sections of them being available (not entire planets of course because no one could design that) The rest could be procedurally generated with just things like materials that you have to find.

That sounds like a completely different game. Almost like what people were hoping to get from Destiny. But maybe that's what you're looking for.

I'm wanting a game like Elite where I can explore a galaxy sandbo and that can't be done with only 200 planets.

The game doesn't seem overly demanding from a graphics perspective, but I have no idea how much resources procedurally generating a game world of this scope uses. From a speculation standpoint what are the chances this will be 60fps?

They're going for 60FPS. There is 60FPS direct feed footage out there.

On PS4? Probably next to nil but we'll see. If they can get performance like that on the PS4 version however, I expect to see more overt coupling of NMS with Morpheus. Very, very doubtful however.

PC on the other hand ought to be fine for that I imagine, especially if they want to even try touting NMS as something to be experiences with VR.

Fjordson

Man looks beautiful. Really love the overall visual style.

I'm super hyped for this. I don't fully understand what the objective(s) of the game is, but I'm trying to keep it that way until release.

Crom

That sounds like a completely different game. Almost like what people were hoping to get from Destiny. But maybe that's what you're looking for.

I'm wanting a game like Elite where I can explore a galaxy sandbo and that can't be done with only 200 planets.

That is what you prefer and there is nothing wrong with that. You would get better exploration out of my scenario though IMO and it would be a much more unique experience.

Destiny? No. Not a fan

I am just saying that if they had a bigger team and made a sequel it would be cool to do it this way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom