• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky "Super Special Announcement" at PlayStation Experience

ThisOne

I'm hoping it's a release date. I don't really care much about VR or exclusivity to Playstation (since that the system I already own). Hopefully it will release in the first half of next year.

But surely that's the opposite?

VR is one area where the PC will blatantly outclass consoles. Obviously in general they can, but the dedicated VR enthusiasts are going to be heading for PC where you can hugely improve the resolution and framerate.

However, content is King. If the best VR titles are exclusive, fans of the technology are more likely to bite on Sony's version, despite technically getting a much better experience on their rig.
I think that's the key here...and I'm not going to surmise I have any inclination of Sony's plan for VR going forward. But my 2 cents is that they will be targeting a kind of "wii"-like experience for Morpheus where it won't be the best of the best VR experience you can have for long, but it will be a break-through. So even if a superior PC VR can be had 6 months to a year down the road, the must-have experiences will be there (and affordable) for the individuals that just want to try something new.

Move was superior to the original Wii motion control, but not many Wii owners I know actually cared. So I'm not sure it's as important to get stuff on Morpheus exclusive as it is to just release the thing affordably and get a bunch of quality content there.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
really? I mean, the hype is definitely there, but if the game is best experienced, and released first on PS4/Morpheus, why would a port for PC and X1 down the line have any effect on sales.

If PS4 is the only platform the team wants to focus on, whatever, but I don't see the benefit of Sony shelling out for exclusivity, the game is already associated with PS4, morpheus support would just add to that.

That's precisely what I mean.

GodofWine

I don't see vr as a mega ton so I'm saying console exclusive or a very generous timed exclusive.

vr is cool and all but it's a multi hundred dollar investment that only a small percentage of owners would go for..exclusivity would be to huge though.

Probably just a beta..a 4 day beta :)

StuBurns

Banned
I think that's the key here...and I'm not going to surmise I have any inclination of Sony's plan for VR going forward. But my 2 cents is that they will be targeting a kind of "wii"-like experience for Morpheus where it won't be the best of the best VR experience you can have for long, but it will be a break-through. So even if a superior PC VR can be had 6 months to a year down the road, the must-have experiences will be there (and affordable) for the individuals that just want to try something new.

Move was superior to the original Wii motion control, but not many Wii owners I know actually cared. So I'm not sure it's as important to get stuff on Morpheus exclusive as it is to just release the thing affordably and get a bunch of quality content there.
But could you imagine the implication if all you had to do was wait six months for a PS3 version of Metroid Prime Trilogy or Zelda SS?

I think PC guys would be very happy to wait six months for NMS, but if it was really exclusive, they'd have to be more tempted to pick up the console.

I do wonder what Sony's going to do with VR, they have some kind of exclusive games which I think would be amazing for VR, NMS', The Witness, The Rapture, etc, but as of yet, they've really not shown any demos which would imply they're putting any focus on adult VR content.

It better not be exclusive. I'll most likely have a PS4 by the time it releases anyway, but it would suck for PC/Xbox gamers. Maybe it's just exclusive content though.

emb

The blurb makes it sound like Morpheus. And I certainly hope that's supported.

But from this I'm really hoping for a physical release. Completely playable offline. Also a release date. I'm not sure how many of those are already confirmed though.

That's the $200m stretch goal.

It is? I can't seem to find any info on that.

No plans. They've got a PS4 dev kit but I doubt they've spent any considerable time with it or getting a working build on it.

Also, I doubt there's any announcement of exclusivity. Doesn't really make it in of itself "memorable" to attendees.

Hmm, I'm getting 3 different answers here from different people.

And yeah, I'm not expecting the announcement to be about exclusivity either. While I wouldn't really be surprised if it became exclusive, that doesn't seem like something you announce to fans at an event like PS Experience, especially not one that you tease.

As an owner of a PS4 please, please don't make this a full exclusive, I'd hate for this to be ripped from the grasp of X1 and PC owners.

Probably Morpheus though, I'd buy Morpheus just for this game.

harmonize

Uh, yeah, let's not make this an exclusive; I'd rather enjoy the superior version on PC than have to buy it on my PS4.

Hopefully it's Morpheus-related.

wapplew

As an owner of a PS4 please, please don't make this a full exclusive, I'd hate for this to be ripped from the grasp of X1 and PC owners.

Probably Morpheus though, I'd buy Morpheus just for this game.

Maybe console exclusive? I can't see that happening unless Hello game join first party.

StuBurns

Banned
Maybe console exclusive? I can't see that happening unless Hello game join first party.
If Sony bought them, there's no way there would be a PC version.

Also, I don't see how it could be exclusive related, because the post says it's something that has direct implications to the people going to the event.

Illucio

Banned
Everyone is wishing for it to be Morpheus compatible, and then there's me who simply wants a friggen release date. (and to be launched with Morpheus....)

But surely that's the opposite?

VR is one area where the PC will blatantly outclass consoles. Obviously in general they can, but the dedicated VR enthusiasts are going to be heading for PC where you can hugely improve the resolution and framerate.

However, content is King. If the best VR titles are exclusive, fans of the technology are more likely to bite on Sony's version, despite technically getting a much better experience on their rig.
Oh, I dunno. As you said, PC already offers top-level performance, and while that certainly has its audience, I don't see why it's guaranteed to grow/shift because of VR. Yes, "unlimited resolution and frame rates," but the flip side of that coin is that consoles are the only place that devs can guarantee sufficient performance, so maybe most VR aficionados will prefer PS4 to PC; because it's consistently awesome, and cheap enough for everyone to afford.

Regardless, while there may be a small shift either way, I think that consoles will be the primary focus for VR gaming, just because they're the primary focus for video gaming already. The basic (dis)advantages of the respective platforms don't really change significantly with the addition of VR; at the end of the day it's still going to be a matter of cost and convenience versus power and flexibility.

StuBurns

Banned
Oh, I dunno. As you said, PC already offers top-level performance, and while that certainly has its audience, I don't see why it's guaranteed to grow/shift because of VR. Yes, "unlimited resolution and frame rates," but the flip side of that coin is that consoles are the only place that devs can guarantee sufficient performance, so maybe most VR aficionados will prefer PS4 to PC; because it's consistently awesome, and cheap enough for everyone to afford.

Regardless, while there may be a small shift either way, I think that consoles will be the primary focus for VR gaming, just because they're the primary focus for video gaming already. The basic (dis)advantages of the respective platforms don't really change significantly with the addition of VR; at the end of the day it's still going to be a matter of cost and convenience versus power and flexibility.
I think the notable difference with VR versus a normal game is the technological advantage has a far more substantial benefit. The gap between 1080p/60fps and QHD/90fps on a 2D monitor pales compared to the difference in VR.

I do think Sony has certain VR advantages, the primary being an established, standardized 3D control device with Move, but for example, NMS on a DS4 in Morpheus would be considerably worse than with a gamepad and the consumer Rift on a nice PC.

It's not that I think VR is going to bring people to PC, more that it's not going to move people from PC to PS4 because the VR experience will be so much weaker. The only reason to make that leap would be far better VR content. So far all the announced Morpheus games are Rift supported on PC, Among the Sleep, Eve, Get Even, Mind, Project CARS, etc.

No one has shown the Mario 64 of VR, but if Sony could find it, and lock it down, they'll get to be the home of VR even with the technical gulf.

SRTtoZ

I still want to know what the gameplay will be like. I've read everything about this game but what can you do besides fly around and look at stuff? I know you can shoot random ships, but do you do anything with the elements? Can you mine? Build? I wish they would show more!!!! PLEASE

StuBurns

Banned
I still want to know what the gameplay will be like. I've read everything about this game but what can you do besides fly around and look at stuff? I know you can shoot random ships, but do you do anything with the elements? Can you mine? Build? I wish they would show more!!!! PLEASE
You can mine, and upgrade your X-wing and spacesuit, etc. The point of the game is to get to the middle of the galaxy, to that thing in the logo no doubt.

rjinaz

Sony bundling the game with Morpheus would be a great way to get people interested in trying out VR, especially if it's as good as I am hoping it will be. I'm guessing this super special whatever isn't that though; just a hunch. Release date possibly.

Yeah my main guess would be that Sony ended up working a deal with Hello Games to purchase the studio, or not really purchase but just bring them into the WWS umbrella.

Now they have access to ICE Team and will be making a No Mans Sky VR Edition for, not the launch of Morpheus but sometime in 2016.

Either that or its just a release date announcement for the game.

I am also on the boat predicting morpheus release support as an announcement and beta access to those who attended the event OR playable demo at PSE (more the former than latter).

Just my 2 cents IMHO

Top Bottom