• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky "Super Special Announcement" at PlayStation Experience

xexon

Banned
Can't wait to buy this on my Xbox one. I would get it on my ps4 but the ds4 is crap with it's 4 hour battery life.

Sony bought the studio, that's my guess.

This would be wild. Game would have to be pretty damn impressive to Sony if they did this, considering it's one game. I mean, it would mean that the game is expected to be an icon of the generation

Seems much more likely that Xbox development is just not happening, but I do expect Sony partnering with the devs to do Morpheus, which may just be the huge focus. I also imagine that if Morpheus sells with NMS, Hello Games would presumably make a shitload of money and make the 4 or so developers incredibly rich, thereby offsetting any lost revenue on Xbox.

And then maybe we'll see PC support after the initial PlayStation release.

Buying the company sounds insane... right?

It's not that I think VR is going to bring people to PC, more that it's not going to move people from PC to PS4 because the VR experience will be so much weaker. The only reason to make that leap would be far better VR content. So far all the announced Morpheus games are Rift supported on PC, Among the Sleep, Eve, Get Even, Mind, Project CARS, etc.
Ah, right on. I do think VR will attract additional users overall, but I don't really see the console/PC split really shifting significantly, otherwise.

No one has shown the Mario 64 of VR, but if Sony could find it, and lock it down, they'll get to be the home of VR even with the technical gulf.
I still think VR's killer app is going to be Home/Facebook 2.0. Hard to say which of those wins out, since we haven't really seen them yet. I see Sony sitting on parts with incredible potential, but I have no idea if they'll assemble them correctly. We have no idea what Zuckerberg has planned either, but I don't think it's coincidental that they debuted Couch Knights and played up the idea sharing a virtual space with other users just before they announced the acquisition.

Gaming-wise, it's hard to say. Again, I think MMO-type experiences are going to be kinda huge, just because the shared experience adds an entire layer of presence all on its own. I expect huge synergy there. I don't necessarily mean a standard MMO like EverQuest or FFXI. I just think that worlds populated with real people are going to be way more compelling that worlds that aren't. Who knows what game that will turn out to be though.

Jamix012

It'll be a Beta or announcement that there'll be a free PS+ edition. I don't expect megatons in this case, personally.

catmario

If this news is NOT No Man's Sky's go to first party exclusive, It won't be surprised.

Because we know this game will be awesome, even without any dat "Super Special Announcements".

SRTtoZ

Can't wait to buy this on my Xbox one. I would get it on my ps4 but the ds4 is crap with it's 4 hour battery life.

Thats why I have 2 DS4. I always have 1 charging :)

I'd rather this than to have to buy an extra accessory like rechargeable batteries and have a clunky thick battery pack on my controller. Just sayin'

Holy shit at that post history!

StuBurns

Banned
Ah, right on. I do think VR will attract additional users overall, but I don't really see the console/PC split really shifting significantly, otherwise.

I still think VR's killer app is going to be Home/Facebook 2.0. Hard to say which of those wins out, since we haven't really seen them yet. I see Sony sitting on parts with incredible potential, but I have no idea if they'll assemble them correctly. We have no idea what Zuckerberg has planned either, but I don't think it's coincidental that they debuted Couch Knights and played up the idea sharing a virtual space with other users just before they announced the acquisition.

Gaming-wise, it's hard to say. Again, I think MMO-type experiences are going to be kinda huge, just because the shared experience adds an entire layer of presence all on its own. I expect huge synergy there. I don't necessarily mean a standard MMO like EverQuest or FFXI. I just think that worlds populated with real people are going to be way more compelling that worlds that aren't. Who knows what game that will turn out to be though.
I don't see it ever being a mainstream 'facebook'-like thing, although obviously Zuckerberg disagrees.

Gamewise, I see it as a very primal 'travel' thing. Not so much virtual travel, although that would obviously hold some appeal, but to feel you're in a location which is otherworldly, that could hold great value. Who doesn't want to be 'in' the Journey sand-surfing level?

It's kind of obnoxious to suggest anyone could anticipate what that Mario 64 moment will be, but if Media Molecule's new IP is what I really hope it is, it is that. If they can provide a toolset for people to easily generate a virtual 3D world based of whatever they want, and share that world, literally walk friends through their 'dreamscapes'. It could be the pivotal moment in the world of VR.

ICPEE

Morpheus or exclusivity. Both are megatons.

Morpheus and full exclusivity
pic+%232.jpg

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Are these just random guesses or is there some desire for full exclusivity?

If it's the latter I would like to know what that stems from.

Why posts like this are always posted by junior members ?
Because people that post like that don't usually make the climb to member.
Considering the reaction to the Microsoft TR announcement, I'd be surprised if Sony wanted to test gamers with a similar deal.
True, but there is a difference in TR and NMS. Part of the problem, at least for me, with TR is that it's part of a series and I felt gipped of the next installment. I dunno how this would go over.

David___

Banned
The only way I actually see this going full exclusive is if Hello Games needed extra funding or they're flat out bought. HG seems to want to do a PC version badly though so the latter is unlikely unless the former comes first.

gribbles

Banned
not gonna happen. sony is flat broke. they got no money to throw around for any more studios or third party exclusives.

Good point about Microsoft buying Mojang.... What does that mean for Microsoft exactly? They get updated faster or something? PS4 already has Minecraft. This is probably a dumb question because i'm probably missing something crucial, but what are they planning to do with it?

I like it becoming a PS4 exclusive, and I don't like it. I don't like it because I am eager to see what PC modding communities could add to the game, and Sean Murray has definitely said things that point to them supporting modding... But I also like PS4 having such a killer exclusive (for me at the very least) if it turns out being good, since I will likely go with the PS4 first.

I reckon the attendants details will be used in the game somehow. Or get to name a planet.

If it's not an exclusive beta then I figure it'll be something like this. They said there was something special planned for those that attend...a Morpheus announcment or full exclusivity affects everyone.

Morpheus support wouldn't be surprising to me whatsoever just because for a while now (ever since I saw that pic with the Sony VR sets sitting in the Hello Games studio) I just assumed it was gonna happen. Maybe have been a wrongful assumption to make but yaknow

RedSwirl

When has the cancellation of multiplatform versions ever been a "super special announcement"?

It's probably VR, a release date, a beta, some kind of promotion, or all of those things.

Only way I could see this benefiting from Sony first party status is if they pumped enough money into it for the game to have Elite Dangerous-level graphics.

Well Damn, xenon got banned and went out pretending to have a PS4 so he could bash the controller battery life....permabanned so I poured out some water on the curb....

I think the idea of naming a planet is a great guess, would be kinda cool. Has the game ever been available to the public to be played?

They will probably have tons of demo units for people to play, which I think would be a first for this game to be played by the public, thus making it unique to those attending...

I do not care for anything as long as they give us a release date. There are so many Indie titles I am craving for yet they all list 'TBA'.

Tagg9

Not sure why people are guessing exclusivity or studio acquisition. That's hardly something the average gamer is going to care about.

It can only be a release date or open beta.

Top Bottom