• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No New Final Fantasy XV Info at E3 2014

Well, just guessing here. But has any PS4 game sold over 2 million yet? They need XV to sell 6 million +. They probably have to wait for the install base to grow.

And the next time they show the game, I'd like a release date. I don't really need to see tons of trailers of it. I'm already sold on it. Just need to know when it's ready. Guess it's not ready yet.

They also seem to hold Deus Ex Universe up as a huge title coming up. That will probably show up at E3, among other huge games.
Killzone, FIFA, COD, and Watch Dogs is 200K away from hitting it after its first week. BF4, Ass Creed and inFamous are bound to hit 2 million as well by the end of the year I'd imagine.

One of the reasons this doesn't upset me anymore is that I have plenty to do in FF14. I'm also really looking forward to the new Theatrhythm and KH2.5 so it's not like I won't have new things to play either.

You guys just need to chill.

and what if I hate MMOs and don't give two shits about some music game and another game I already played years ago?

SgtCobra

Thanks for the compliments guys :)
Any mod can feel free to split off the topic and make a new one with my post so that the "un/misinformed" may find the information easier.

Tetsuya, if you read this (you won't hehe) I'm not mad, just make sure the game is great and... it actually releases.

That e3 footage was not gameplay footage just one giant cg showcase

Haha I wouldn't be surprised. Tbh I wish they would have said not to expect anything for a long while instead of egging us on this whole time. From SgtCobra's timeline, it seems like every few years, when talk of the game starts to die down, SE makes a fuss about it and sets people up for false expectations :/

Holy fuck, is Square horribly managed or what? Who's fault is this? Someone should be fired. Is this all Tetsuya Nomura's fault? How can he be director of two big budget games at once (FFXV & KH3)?

SaintR

One of the reasons this doesn't upset me anymore is that I have plenty to do in FF14. I'm also really looking forward to the new Theatrhythm and KH2.5 so it's not like I won't have new things to play either.

You guys just need to chill.
No offense Kagari but that doesn't excuse the way in which this has been managed. Their fan base (which they have created from the originals) has gotten older,married, and had children almost throughout the "development" of this title. If that doesn't give you perspective then that means you have your own priorities and that's different. Doesn't mean that it's justifiable for this title to still be up in limbo. Granted it could be released next year for all we know but peoples' frustration at this point is sort of expected

RK128

Wow, so this AND Kingdom Hearts III are a no show at this years E3?

.....Guess both are in development hell, as expected (....really, REALLY stupid in FFXV case, its been in development for a DECADE at this point X(). Great job Square, the two games people are looking forward to the most aren't going to be there :l.

I guess this might be due to Square having more projects to announce from their western side? I new Tomb Raider and Deus Ex would be nice to have on PS4 this year :D.

Either way though it is really embarrassing in their case; the game that SHOULD be the most ready is going to be pushed onto the PS5 at this point....

and what if I hate MMOs and don't give two shits about some music game and another game I already played years ago?

...then play some other games?

Wow, so this AND Kingdom Hearts III are a no show at this years E3?

.....Guess both are in development hell, as expected (....really, REALLY stupid in FFXV case, its been in development for a DECADE at this point X(). Great job Square, the two games people are looking forward to the most aren't going to be there :l.

I guess this might be due to Square having more projects to announce from their western side? I new Tomb Raider and Deus Ex would be nice to have on PS4 this year :D.

Either way though it is really embarrassing in their case; the game that SHOULD be the most ready is going to be pushed onto the PS5 at this point....

KHIII is only known to have been in development since last year (I think) so I wouldn't worry about that yet. There has actually been more new stuff for KHIII than XV since last E3 lol

Jeremy

Not surprising, they said both these games were far from done and they showed them way too early if I remember correctly.

SaintR

Square hates money. They don't want to make any.
Also this to a degree. You created a particular fan base then sour it with sequels of mixing receptions. I mean it really defies business sense

Edit: FFXI and FFXIV have however been popular so at least for the FF franchise those are positives

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Takahashi already stated that the idea behind Xenoblade was for Monolith Soft to distance themselves from the style associated with Xenogears and Xenosaga, viewing the story-heavy approach over gameplay as a dead end. It doesn't seem likely that they would change their minds for X.

And according to Takahashi Xenoblade was only roughly 5% of his vision of a game he would like to make. And yes he did say he did not go with a complex story for Blade. He went with a more simple one. What Project X's story will be like is yet to be determined. If a Godly RPG story can mesh with Blade's gameplay I will be very happy.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Japanese developers like Square and Team ICO need a serious shake-up. These games should not be taking nearly (or over) a decade from announcement to release.

There must be some atricious mismanagement going on. I suspect that in the case of FFXV, it was put on the back burner while the FFXIII-2 & -3 were made.

This was a massive waste of resources that could have otherwise been wisely spent working towards multiple main-line, new final fantasy titles concurrently like what used to happen during the PS1 era.

Why they started straying away from that philosophy, I have no freaking idea.

todd360

I'm tired of waiting.

So does anyone have any info about what the Japanese XV fans think? I'm sure it's probably the same reactions as us but it would be cool to know what they are saying.

wsdrcy.gif

When will I be able to purge this depressing thing off my hard drive?

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
If "Square" were still relevant and made games that I still cared about, this would make me mad.

Bring on "Beast Souls"!!

Edit:

It's sad that their best games were made 20 years ago... They should go back to making "SNES" like RPG's.

This should already be obvious to anybody with common sense, but from this point forward, regardless of what you see from this game whenever it decides to show itself, you should probably temper your expectations until it actually comes out and people are able to properly dissect it. You'd be foolish to still be on any sort of hype train for this game after the mess it has been through.

todd360

This should already be obvious to anybody with common sense, but from this point forward, regardless of what you see from this game whenever it decides to show itself, you should probably temper your expectations until it actually comes out and people are able to properly dissect it. You'd be foolish to still be on any sort of hype train for this game after the mess it has been through.

I'm still hyped. I want this game so badly that I will buy it even if ign gave it a 1 out of 10. Just so it wouldn't be vaporware anymore. I need to hold it in muh hands.

Shinta

Banned
Japanese developers like Square and Team ICO need a serious shake-up. These games should not be taking nearly (or over) a decade from announcement to release.

I think the real story of XV is that it never took a decade. They tried to make a big open world game with the same image quality and graphics as XIII, but they literally couldn't do it with the combination of Crystal Tools and Cell Processor programming. XIII was linear probably for that reason, and subsequent entries with more open world levels increased load times and decreased graphical quality.

So, they basically had to scrap the game and start over to hit PS4. The PS4 version hasn't been worked on for a decade. The game even has a title change now, so people more accurately would just be thinking of it as a new game. I get fully why they don't, but I think they basically just started over.

They're not that slow once they get going now. XIV: ARR only took them 2 years, and MMOs are more complicated to make. XV will be shown this year, according to them. I think things will be a whole lot smoother going forward. Kingdom Hearts III won't take a decade either.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I don't see it like this necessarily. I think the game design is over ambitious and the team bit off more than they could chew in a reasonable time. But the final game may be amazing.

Still, who knows.

Jarnet87

If "Square" were still relevant and made games that I still cared about, this would make me mad.

Bring on "Beast Souls"!!

Edit:

It's sad that their best games were made 20 years ago... They should go back to making "SNES" like RPG's.

Games like Braverly Default show they've still got talent. Maybe the best thing for SE would be back to scale back some of their visual ambitions. It's always been a trademark of their games to push visual boundaries but it's clearly been a problem since the 7th gen, possibly even the 6th gen. They've got tons of talent, and great art can overcome some graphical weaknesses.

Big post incoming, please don't quote it all!!

Oh my gawd, freaking epic post. I wonder how much unwarranted delays all the awful XIII games and XIV caused XV, if you take away SE's collective struggles with HD development...

I'm really, really hoping it not appearing this E3 is a fake-out for a mega surprise reveal. T_T

Shinta

Banned
Oh my gawd, freaking epic post. I wonder how much unwarranted delays all the awful XIII games and XIV caused XV, if you take away SE's collective struggles with HD development...

I'm really, really hoping it not appearing this E3 is a fake-out for a mega surprise reveal. T_T

I don't think Versus was delayed for XIII-2 and LR. If you think about it, that doesn't really make any sense at all. Toriyama and Kitase both said the sequels were never planned during the initial game. Versus was already planned.

What is far more likely, in my humble opinion, is that Versus was in development hell and they couldn't get it to run on PS3 and Crystal Tools with the quality they wanted. After that fact was clear, they asked Toriyama to make sequels quickly and cheaply to tide them over because Versus was dead and needed to be scrapped and restarted on PS4. They had to scrap XIV too and couldn't get it to run on PS3 either until they remade the game.

Based on last years trailer i didn't like the direction they seemed to be taking XV in, hope this no-show means they are changing some stuff up and making a more standard FF game. I doubt that's the reason though, SE just suck balls these days.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
Games like Braverly Default show they've still got talent. Maybe the best thing for SE would be back to scale back some of their visual ambitions. It's always been a trademark of their games to push visual boundaries but it's clearly been a problem since the 7th gen, possibly even the 6th gen. They've got tons of talent, and great art can overcome some graphical weaknesses.

I would agree with this. I would be happy with SNES sprites again, if it meant games like Chrono Trigger and FF IV/VI.

They didn't develop Bravely Default. but yeah, talent is not their issue.

Fbh

Well of course not.
I mean, the game was only announced in 2006, how can you expect them to have any sort of content to show.

But when TGS arrives, oh boy you should be getting ready because we will get the exact same trailer as last year..... but with ALMOST 30 SECONDS of extra footage.

Top Bottom