• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No New Final Fantasy XV Info at E3 2014

Negator

They're better than XIII which you seem to have given a pass.

I only passed up Lightning Returns, I own the other two in the trilogy, even platinumed XIII. Regardless of the ones I've played or the quality of the sequels, they are far from what I would consider 'high profile' games when compared to mainline Final Fantasy games.

Asd202

It's not necessarily that they don't have anything to show (by their own words it's advancing well, if it wasn't they'd give more vague statements), but if they are planning to release the game, say, on December 14th 2015, from the PR department's POV it's not the "optimal" time to start showing it again almost 1,5 years from release, even if that is a spit in the face of fans who've waited for 8 years already. If it has that kind of planned release date, then TGS is probably the earliest they are going to show it again, then it'll go silent for a few months again and then in Q2 they'd start ramping up the marketing blitz for the game.

I love how you always blame this on some mythical PR department decisions. Look at the facts, Versus was not shown for year not because of some marketing but because there was nothing to show. Games show up yearly at E3 even if there aren't going to release any time soon. I predicted that late 2015 for Japan is the earliest this game may see a release but now I think it's highly unlikely unless it gets rushed out of the door like XIII did. Last year reveal was nothing more than trying to save face to investors. Fortunately this year Eidos will step up.

Phlebas

Banned
I only passed up Lightning Returns, I own the other two in the trilogy, even platinumed XIII. Regardless of the ones I've played or the quality of the sequels, they are far from what I would consider 'high profile' games when compared to mainline Final Fantasy games.

The last one that I would consider great was FFX.

Talax

From the interview:
- So there will be new information about “something” that is not “Final Fantasy XV”?

Hashimoto: That’s right, you’ll have to wait until E3 to know more.

So does that mean we're getting news of another FF since he said this in the same context? If so, I hope it's either a new Dissidia or at least FFXIIHD.

It's not necessarily that they don't have anything to show (by their own words it's advancing well, if it wasn't they'd give more vague statements), but if they are planning to release the game, say, on December 14th 2015, from the PR department's POV it's not the "optimal" time to start showing it again almost 1,5 years from release, even if that is a spit in the face of fans who've waited for 8 years already. If it has that kind of planned release date, then TGS is probably the earliest they are going to show it again, then it'll go silent for a few months again and then in Q2 they'd start ramping up the marketing blitz for the game.

Then they shouldn't have shown it last year, several times. They even showed new footage at some Taiwanese event THIS year. Which makes me think this is all a farce and they will show something. Guess we will find out. This is a huge event though and if they can show something they should.

Asd202

Of course the development is going well line is present there. Haha never change SE. That PR talk is getting old now can't believe people still fall for that shit.

VariantX

Not exactly upset or surprised, but we're 2 years shy of a decade from this game's announcement and im wondering what the hell is going on with this company? This game better be the second coming, or the franchise has little chance to reclaim the mindshare it used to have

DVCY201

Ah, no offense but I don't buy that one bit. "Advancing well" is a vague statement all unto itself, as it doesn't offer any insight whatsoever. If I was PR, I'd present it. Get it out there, offer slight hints about what the gameplay will be like, story, etc. It gets people talking, keeps it fresh, reminds everyone that it IS coming soon, free advertising courtesy of game journalists, etc. But, I'm not in charge!

I remember when my friends bought a PS3 for this title, and now they've bought a PS4 as well for it. It's almost depressing to see this cycle continue.

Never expected it to be

This.

Square Cycle:
1. Announce big title at E3
2. Wait year(s)
3. Mention it right before E3
3a. If generous, show exact same trailer as before with an extra 10 seconds of footage mixed in
4. New Trailer released at Tokyo Game Show... To select press... Behind closed doors

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Square-Enix are beyond parody at this point.

Do they actually have programmers over there?

That's a bummer. That's a real bummer. Save us from the clutches of a disappointing E3 Trico...

14149349464_fc4baf7be0_o.gif

RpgN

Ah, no offense but I don't buy that one bit. "Advancing well" is a vague statement all unto itself, as it doesn't offer any insight whatsoever. If I was PR, I'd present it. Get it out there, offer slight hints about what the gameplay will be like, story, etc. It gets people talking, keeps it fresh, reminds everyone that it IS coming soon, free advertising courtesy of game journalists, etc. But, I'm not in charge!

I remember when my friends bought a PS3 for this title, and now they've bought a PS4 as well for it. It's almost depressing to see this cycle continue.

Your friends should have learned the first time.

I'm not surprised anymore about FFXV *cynical*

So, Final Fantasy XVI - but it's a glorious return to 2D, it's a $29 downloadable title with the scope and magnatitude of the SNES games but with all the conventions of modern day gaming. It's also releasing this fall on Xbox Live, PSN and the eShop.

... I fucking wish. Argh. Argh.

Top Bottom