• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nolan North on UC4- 8mths of Hennig's story/performance work was thrown away

I remember Amy praising the Uncharted 4 PSX demo back in December on Twitter, specifically the person who designed the level.

I think people are looking too far into things. I don't think Druckmann is as responsible for her leaving as people think. There are people above Straley and Druckmann at ND who'd have much more say in the matter. Seems like Straley and Druckmann were brought in after she left.

Amy was fired I think, she didn't "leave"

At least as far as I understand it. Why has she not said a word of congratulations to Druckmann the lead on her franchise? Why is she thanking level designers and not saying anything about him?

Also the IGN stuff, and if you read closely what Nolan is saying in this interview. And has Amy ever denied the rumors? Seems if there was no hard feelings there she would he trying to clear that up

Arnie7

Banned
I'm glad she's moved onto star wars. I feel she might have been too protective of uncharted.

Bruce and Neil are going to make the best Uncharted yet.

Game4life

Banned
Druckmann had no involvement in the pacing of UC2, he was Lead Designer for that game, can you name the lead designer of TLOU so I can thank for the pacing of that game? Obviously Druckmann directed TLOU, but the lead designer was the reason that game had great pacing.

So the reason UC3 is worse than 2 is because VAs left abruptly, so it's not Amy's fault. Your point?

Was the reason Talbot and the main villain shit also because their VA's left? Was Drake's half baked orphan plot also shit because those VA's left? Your point?

Also maybe Druckman did not have anything to contribute to the pacing in UC2 but Straley surely did?

Harlequin

This one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SnJPTkrD7o

Yeah it's pretty grim. Though I'm surprised it's still up, given that voice actor is no longer in the game. If it's supposed to be Sam, it seems his story is way different as well.

Man... this sounds so much more interesting than the light-hearted feeling I'm getting from the subsequent footage is. I mean, maybe I'm wrong (it is kind of dumb to try and guess what a whole game would've been like based on two short demos, let alone a 1-minute trailer, but I can't help it) but the relationship Sam and Nate seemed to have in the PSX demo wasn't even nearly as interesting as the one that's being hinted at in the teaser. Funny thing is, when the whole thing went down with Amy Henning leaving, I kind of thought it was because she didn't want to move into a darker direction but everyone else did. Now it looks like it (maybe, possibly, perhaps?) could've been the other way around.

Either way, it's always sad when things like this happen and it's really not good for anyone involved because, no matter how good the final product ends up being, the shadow of "what could've been" is always going to loom over the project now and it's hard to compete with an illusion based on wishful thinking and hopeful assumptions.

what's really interesting is nolan's analogy of robert ludlum and stephen king novels.

that's quite the departure. the question really isn't about whether the story will be good (albeit both stories are).

i think it's the direction of the story, where it's going, how it's going to get there. it's the different instances that make up the overall that are going to be changed. like, if elena were to die, would she die because drake fails to catch her hand or would she die because drake did something and elena gets the boot because of it?

Alo0oy

Banned
Was the reason Talbot and the main villain shit also because their VA's left? Was Drake's half baked orphan plot also shit because those VA's left? Your point?

Also maybe Druckman did not have anything to contribute to the pacing in UC2 but Straley surely did?

Talbot & Marlow were the least stereotypical villains in the franchise. Whether you like them or not, they're the only ones in the series that are unique. & Drake's orphan plot wasn't half-baked, it was explored thoroughly in the game.

Straley was definitely an integral part of UC2 though, nobody is ever going to deny that.

Game4life

Banned
This makes me more excited for UC4, I love TLOU way more than Uncharted, especially in terms of storytelling.

I dont get this. TLOU had more room for having nuanced storytelling and characterization than a game like Uncharted. For pulp adventure standards in video games I think the characters are phenomenal. They are very lovable and endearing which is what matters in genre's like this. UC3 was not good but UC1 and 2 had perfectly fine writing for the genre it is in.

Talbot & Marlow were the least stereotypical villains in the franchise. Whether you like them or not, they're the only ones in the series that are unique. & Drake's orphan plot wasn't half-baked, it was explored thoroughly in the game.

Straley was definitely an integral part of UC2 though, nobody is ever going to deny that.

Least stereotypical does not necessarily mean good execution. Lazaravic was far more generic sure but at least his motivations were far more straightforward and clear ( perfectly acceptable in the pulp adventure genre. You don't need deep characterization for a villain in this genre ) than Talbot.

Alienous

what's really interesting is nolan's analogy of robert ludlum and stephen king novels.

that's quite the departure. the question really isn't about whether the story will be good (albeit both stories are).

i think it's the direction of the story, where it's going, how it's going to get there. it's the different instances that make up the overall that are going to be changed. like, if elena were to die, would she die because drake fails to catch her hand or would she die because drake did something and elena gets the boot because of it?

Yeah, I do think it will be the approach that changes, not so much the content.

If anything I could see Amy's version of Uncharted 4 having been darker and more introspective that whatever Druckmann is doing. The teaser seems to imply a tone more dour than adventurous, and I could imagine the response to UC3 making Hening take the series into a world more full of consequence and death.

And there's no way Elena's dying. Nathan at most, and even then I imagine they'd do something else like cripple him in some way, thus drawing a line under his adventuring days.

Pooya

Assassin's Creed bits are so sad :( that's what everyone wanted too, now we got generic infinitely repeatable Initiates garbage that doesn't make any sense. I thin this new direction with the games has hurt them much more than their samey gameplay.

Psykoboy2

I'm glad she's moved onto star wars. I feel she might have been too protective of uncharted.

Bruce and Neil are going to make the best Uncharted yet.

I think SONY were likely too protective of Uncharted. However, I have no doubt on Bruce & Neil's talents and what they'll give us with the franchise. If that extended demo I saw at E3 is any indication of action and set pieces...we're in excellent hands.

I dont get this. TLOU had more room for having nuanced storytelling and characterization than a game like Uncharted. For pulp adventure standards in video games I think the characters are phenomenal. They are very lovable and endearing which is what matters in genre's like this. UC3 was not good but UC1 and 2 had perfectly fine writing for the genre it is in.
Yeah its strange, Both are awesome for what they are. I hope no one is expecting The Last of Us: Uncharted Edition or anything,

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
While it wasn't unexpected when Troy got cast, it's still surprising to think Wellestra allowed Druckley to essentially reboot the project.

And the last ND Uncharted.

Considering that the biggest worry was that Straley and Druckman would not be able to enjoy their awards over essentially pushing the creative leads of the project out (she was not even mentioned once in ND's anniversary video)... Not so much...

border

Konami fires Kojima: "Fuck you Konami, there is no way that this guy who has taken half a decade to make a single game has mismanaged this property at all. Shame!"

Naughty Dog fires Amy Henning: "Well, I didn't like UC3 very much so maybe it's for the best!"

Game4life

Banned
Yeah its strange, Both are awesome for what they are. I hope no one is expecting The Last of Us: Uncharted Edition or anything,

UC2 ending moment >>>
Giraffes
(TLOU spoilers) in my book though
Giraffes
are awesome! Give me more moments like that in UC4 and I am good.

Konami fires Kojima: "Fuck you Konami, there is no way that this guy who has taken half a decade to make a single game has mismanaged this property at all. Shame!"

Naughty Dog fires Amy Henning: "Well, I didn't like UC3 very much so maybe it's for the best!"

I think most are saying the series is in safe hands in spite of Amy leaving. For MGS and the kind of auteur that Kojima is, him leaving is actually a huge blow to the franchise.

foxtrot3d

Banned

Well, the two situations really aren't comparable.

Wasn't much a fan of her writing. Especially when it came to the plot, but also I didn't much like some of the dialogue.

Glad things might get a freshener with this Uncharted. Might actually feel like a new Uncharted instead of what felt like a rehash for a whole trilogy. I felt TLOU was probably some of the best video game writing, well beyond any of Uncharted, even though it still used plenty of corny tropes and shitty devices to make sure things happen.

Just in case you weren't sure that this thread had jumped the shark.

anaron

ugh shocker, last of us team fucked it all up

trash

accurate

and also unlike Kojima, Amy is a brilliant writer so y'know, losing her creative vision and writing is a bad thing.

Well, the two situations really aren't comparable.

They aren't? Amy being fired from her home, her franchise taken away from her, and the new leads erasing all signs of her from the project isn't similar?

The only reason people are calm and cool about this is because they like TLOU. What happened to Amy is really sad, but again maybe her version of UC4 was garbage. Who knows

Alo0oy

Banned
They aren't? Amy being fired from her home, her franchise taken away from her, and the new leads erasing all signs of her from the project isn't similar?

The knly reason people are calm and cool about this is because they like TLOU. What happened to Amy is really sad, but again maybe ger version of UC4 was garbage. Who knows

It's not comparable, what's happening with Amy is pure speculation. Meanwhile, Konami is erasing Kojima from history.

The only reason people are calm and cool about this is because they like TLOU. What happened to Amy is really sad, but again maybe her version of UC4 was garbage. Who knows

Kojima was fired, a large chunk of KojiPro have been fired, and all of their projects were canned outside of the one that was nearly finished. Konami basically wiped KojiPro out of existence with what they did.

UC2 ending moment >>>
Giraffes
(TLOU spoilers) in my book though
Giraffes
are awesome! Give me more moments like that in UC4 and I am good.

I think most are saying the series is in safe hands in spite of Amy leaving. For MGS and the kind of auteur that Kojima is, him leaving is actually a huge blow to the franchise.
Yeah those moments are great, that's why I edited :p

Kojima was fired, a large chunk of KojiPro have been fired, and all of their projects were canned outside of the one that was nearly finished. Konami basically wiped KojiPro out of existence with what they did.

And? We are comparing Kojima and Amy. Not Naughty Dog and KojiPro

Its damn near the same. Amy and her entire workom the game has been wiped from existence. HER FRANCHISE. Her friend and the lead voice actor of the franchise flat out confirmed it, hence the thread

Neil said the structure is that Bruce handles all the gameplay and he along with Bruce figure out how to integrate the story elements into it. And I think Neil gets a lot of attention simply because he does most of the interviews. That and because there's a writing credit in the industry but not director credit, so he's just seen a lot more.

Yeah, what's your point? Naughty Dog consider gameplay and story to be equally important to their games, so those positions are equally important as well. Or do you think Amy was demoted after Uncharted 1?

Sigh.. Uncharted 3 had by far the worst writing of all three games, the ones she lead and Druckmann was not a part of. He`s also written one of the best storylines in a videogame, she hasn`t and is 20 years older. It`s not like Uncharted is the only franchise she`s written, she existed beforehand as well.

Druckmann is just a better writer (as of now). Whether he keeps it up is another story for the future to unfold and tell us. She`s still one of the best writers in the game.

Wow. I guess Druckmann also wrote Soul Reaver too, right? It was Druckmann all along!

I'm a big fan of Druckmann too but the way some of you guys try to downplay Amy Hennig's contributions is pathetic.

Game4life

Banned

Its damn near the same. Amy and her entire workom the game has been wiped from existence. HER FRANCHISE. Her friend and the lead voice actor of the franchise flat out confirmed it, hence the thread

So Sony removed Amy Henning's involvement and credits in the past games retrospectively? I did not know that. Do you have a link by any chance?

Because what went on with Kojima was about every single thing he was involved in. It wasn't just about him. With AMy it could very well be a situation like with Stig at Sony Santa Monica. The project wasn't coming along well so it changed (or in Stig's case was cancelled). Stig chose to leave afterwards, he wasn't fired.

Yeah, what's your point? Naughty Dog consider gameplay and story to be equally important to their games, so those positions are equally important as well. Or do you think Amy was demoted after Uncharted 1?

I think the reality is that Uncharted 2 and TLoU are the two most praised ND games from last gen. And at the end of the day they have two big names in common. That's all i'm saying.

I agree that they are very different games, but I was already disappointed with U3, so I trust this team will be able to end the saga with a bang!

He did? He said the performance capture he did beforehand was thrown away, that's it. He didn't say Amy was "forced out".

He said

8 months of performance capture and story thrown out

The tone is entirely different

They took people off the project

And that they are "making it their game"

If people think this game we are getting is Amy's vision and that her work wasn't wiped out after she "left" they are kidding themselves

Spinluck

Uncharted 3 is has the best story in the franchise to me.

Least generic villain, and the only one where the characters felt somewhat human and showed signs of depth and development throughout the game.

It exposed Nate for still dragging an old ass man into gun fights and shit- showed us he was a liar- gave us a glimpse of young womanizing handsome Sully and kid Nate- had the heart warming Nate and Elena scenes- Charlie Cutter was an amazing addition to the crew- Marlowe being one of the few people who can get into Nate's head and fucks with him.

My biggest issue with the story is that it felt rushed. It was clear as day that shit got cut from the story and that some of the stages were just placed there and added nothing to the story at all. The third act of the game was really rushed and I wish we got more scenes with Marlowe, almost felt like she was wasted.

Alienous

I really do wish Hennig was still on Uncharted 4.

To me it seems like shifting leadership was a response to the reception of Uncharted 3 versus the reception of The Last of Us. But I think the flaws of Uncharted 3's story were only a rewrite or two from being eliminated, and the truncated development time (two years after the end of Uncharted 2) could have contributed to getting going on Uncharted 3, perhaps before everything was baked.

For instance, if Druckmann had to write a The Last of Us 2 that would have released this month (TLOU came out 2 years ago) I'd expect that it wouldn't be as satisfying as TLOU 1, and if he had his 'baby' series wrestled away from him because of that (like many speculate happened with Hennig) I'd think that was unfair, given that TLOU (and by extension, Uncharted 2) were so good.

I really do look forward to Hennig's Star Wars project.

So Sony removed Amy Henning's involvement and credits in the past games retrospectively? I did not know that. Do you have a link by any chance?

No? Hence them being comparable. No 2 situations are exactly the same. Idk why some of you are in denial over this stuff. Every rumor we've ever gotten, and every statement we've gotten from people close to the project like Nolan here doesn't paint the picture this was a calm mutual parting.

Game4life

Banned
He said

8 months of performance capture and story thrown out

The tone is entirely different

They took people off the project

And that they are "making it their game"

If people think this game we are getting is Amy's vision and that her work wasn't wiped out after she "left" they are kidding themselves

No one said it was. It is perfectly acceptable. The outrage over MGS is that MGS is Kojima through and through. Like every little thing you see in a MGS game is because of his micromanaging and his creative input. The structure is not similar to ND at all. There is a reason he is called an auteur just like Fumito Ueda. It is not so much a democratic setup but a one man setup. Him leaving the franchise is a far bigger deal than Amy leaving. Also the way it was handled is nowhere comparable. Konami actively sought to downplay every achievement of Kojima by retrospectively removing his name from game covers and marketing everywhere for previous metal gear games. It was downplaying his legacy and contribution. This is nowhere close to Amy Henning's situation which is no different than say Stig's situation in Santa Monica. Your attempt to equate the two is wrong. The only similarity is that directors have been fired but the similarity ends there.

No one said it was. It is perfectly acceptable. The outrage over MGS is that MGS is Kojima through and through. Like every little thing you see in a MGS game is because of his micromanaging and his creative input. The structure is not similar to ND at all. There is a reason he is called an auteur just like Fumito Ueda. It is not so much a democratic setup but a one man setup. Him leaving the franchise is a far bigger deal than Amy leaving. Also the way it was handled is nowhere comparable. Konami actively sought to downplay every achievement of Kojima by retrospectively removing his name from game covers and marketing everywhere for previous metal gear games. It was downplaying his legacy and contribution. This is nowhere close to Amy Henning's situation which is no different than say Stig's situation in Santa Monica. Your attempt to equate the two is wrong. The only similarity is that directors have been fired but the similarity ends there.

Amy wrote every main character for every Naughty Dog Uncharted game. Uncharted is just as much Amy's child as Metal Gear is Kojimas

Spinluck

I really do wish Hennig was still on Uncharted 4.

To me it seems like shifting leadership was a response to the reception of Uncharted 3 versus the reception of The Last of Us. But I think the flaws of Uncharted 3's story were only a rewrite or two from being eliminated, and the truncated development time (two years after the end of Uncharted 2) could have contributed to getting going on Uncharted 3, perhaps before everything was baked.

For instance, if Druckmann had to write a The Last of Us 2 that would have released this month (TLOU came out 2 years ago) I'd expect that it wouldn't be as satisfying as TLOU 1, and if he had his 'baby' series wrestled away from him because of that (like many speculate happened with Hennig) I'd think that was unfair, given that TLOU (and by extension, Uncharted 2) were so good.

I really do look forward to Hennig's Star Wars project.

Yeah, I loved Hennig's enthusiasm. She brought us this amazing Uncharted cast too (feel free to correct me if she didn't have a hand in casting). I would've liked for them to close the Uncharted chapter all together, but, oh well. I have nothing against Bruce and Neil as I enjoyed their work, but I would've preferred they moved onto to something new or TLoU2.

Maybe it honestly just had to do with UC3s reception lined up against TLoU, along with the material they had up until that point. If it was never scraped, we might have been playing a very different UC4 this fall lol.

Game4life

Banned
Amy wrote every main character for every Naughty Dog Uncharted game. Uncharted is just as much Amy's child as Metal Gear is Kojimas

Well yes but not in the same way as Kojima's though. She wrote the story. Her involvement in game design, level design , encounter design etc .. is nowhere close to Kojima's in the mgs series. Kojima has gone on record to in fact say that there is no one else who seems capable of handling the MGS franchise during MGS4's development. I dont know how you can equate the two. He micromanages literally everything.

What you are basically saying is "any company firing any creative director who kickstarted a franchise is always going to be the same as Konami firing Kojima . No questions asked end of story."

Nolan better be careful. The game might get delayed another year and we will see Baker in the title role.

Seriously though, I will say that I am kind of ignorant to the whole situation. I was under the impression Hennig was offered to work on a Star Wars game, so she left ND.

Superflat

Uncharted 3 is has the best story in the franchise to me.

Least generic villain, and the only one where the characters felt somewhat human and showed signs of depth and development throughout the game.

It exposed Nate for still dragging an old ass man into gun fights and shit- showed us he was a liar- gave us a glimpse of young womanizing handsome Sully and kid Nate- had the heart warming Nate and Elena scenes- Charlie Cutter was an amazing addition to the crew- Marlowe being one of the few people who can get into Nate's head and fucks with him hard- and so on.

My biggest issue with the story is that it felt rushed. It was clear as day that shit got cut from the story and that some of the stages were just placed there and added nothing to the story at all. The third act of the game was really rushed and I wish we got more scenes with Marlowe, almost felt like she was wasted.

The elements you listed were all great on their own, but to me none of them coalesced together into a cohesive story at all. I liked the general skeleton plot for Uncharted 3; the events and escapades that led him to Ubar was all well presented and fun.

But the "heart" of the story was supposed to be between Nate and Elena (and their estranged relationship), but their interactions were so fleeting and poorly integrated that I was largely unaffected by it all, making the ending cutscene hollow, unsatisfying, and even confusing. What about the events leading to the end warranted that kind of saccharine ending? All of the emotional elements of Uncharted 3 felt very strange and oddly forced compared to UC2.

Spinluck

No? Hence them being comparable. No 2 situations are exactly the same. Idk why some of you are in denial over this stuff. Every rumor we've ever gotten, and every statement we've gotten from people close to the project like Nolan here doesn't paint the picture this was a calm mutual parting.

So if this is true, we won't be seeing her name in the remasters?

That's bullshit if true.

I think the reality is that Uncharted 2 and TLoU are the two most praised ND games from last gen. And at the end of the day they have two big names in common. That's all i'm saying.

"That's all you're saying." Yeah, okay. What you're implying is pretty obvious. Reality says that Amy Hennig was the leader writer and creative director on Uncharted 2, while Neil Druckmann was a rank below and one of two lead designers. I give him full credit for his work on that game because everyone on that team clearly did an incredible job, but trying to give him more credit than the lead fucking writer is the height of stupidity.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

The only reason people are calm and cool about this is because they like TLOU.

Yep, this has a part in it. She was instrumental in the creation of Uncharted and spent like a decade in ND as Creative Director and she was not even mentioned in the company's anniversary video yet alone present in it... Is that really normal?!?

Wow. I guess Druckmann also wrote Soul Reaver too, right? It was Druckmann all along!

I'm a big fan of Druckmann too but the way some of you guys try to downplay Amy Hennig's contributions is pathetic.
She wrote one of the most iconic characters of last generation and is one of the best writers in the industry. Saying she is worse than Druckmann has never changed that... It seems there is no gray with some of you. I think some of you seem to be confusing me with other posters in regards to U2. She did an amazing job in that game. :\

EDIT: She won't be given credit in the remasters? Is this confirmed? This sounds like Kojima 2.0 if true, really sad. I hope NG is not that petty...

So if this is true, we won't be seeing her name in the remasters?

That's bullshit if true.

Im sure she'll be named in the Remasters. I'm saying her work on UC4 was wiped out. And as I've said, maybe because it was garbage.

But no one is saying anything that was directly involved. Nothing from her. Nothing from Druckmann. Nothing the leadership at ND. Nothing

It was a bad parting of ways. Anything else given what we have is denial

Yep, this has a part in it. She was instrumental in the creation of Uncharted and spent like a decade in ND as Creative Director and she was not even mentioned in the company's anniversary video yet alone present in it... Is that really normal?!?

For example

"That's all you're saying." Yeah, okay. What you're implying is pretty obvious. Reality says that Amy Hennig was the leader writer and creative director on Uncharted 2, while Neil Druckmann was a rank below and one of two lead designers. I give him full credit for his work on that game because everyone on that team clearly did an incredible job, but trying to give him more credit than the lead fucking writer is the height of stupidity.

Sure, but I never did that. The post you quoted was really more about Bruce, who often seems to get lost in these discussions.

Drencrom

ugh shocker, last of us team fucked it all up

trash

Jumping to conclusions much? We have no info what really went down and I can't see Neil and Bruce being the only ones at ND that was against her direction or whatever she did. The co-presidents of ND (Wells and Balestra) had most likely a good reason why they let Amy off the project and had Bruce and Neil take over it.

Top Bottom