• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

North Korea Threatens Missile Strike on Guam (a United States Territory)

The scariest part of the entire situation is the nuclear stockpile they are sure to be sitting on. They absolutely have a contingency plan to get those nukes out of the country and into terrorist networks the second shit goes down.

ST2K

It's the best option because any other option guarantees millions will die.

Accepting North Korea as a nuclear power doesn't, as uncomfortable a reality as it is.

Are we just ignoring the reality that the regime kills untolds amounts of its own citizens every year that it's around?

That's not a cost that should be ignored either.

If N. Korea shot a nuke at Guam but it missed because they are incompetent, would the US be justified (in the eyes of the international community) of retaliating as if it had hit?

That is beyond a act of war if ever. Not only will the United States wipe out NK they will also have to apologize to China for making such a mess at their border. It doesn't matter if it hits Or not. Hell if a missile just landed in US waters miles away from land it's an act of war.

JordanN

Banned
The scariest part of the entire situation is the nuclear stockpile they are sure to be sitting on. They absolutely have a contingency plan to get those nukes out of the country and into terrorist networks the second shit goes down.

Giving nukes to terrorists seems like instant backfire.

The terrorist now have nukes, why wouldn't they proceed to threaten North Korea for more?

Raven117

If N. Korea shot a nuke at Guam but it missed because they are incompetent, would the US be justified (in the eyes of the international community) of retaliating as if it had hit?

Yes, but NK wont do this either (they want to stay in power, remember), but if it does, god have mercy on that part of the world...millions will be dead.

psyfi

Banned
Yes, but NK wont do this either (they want to stay in power, remember), but if it does, god have mercy on that part of the world...millions will be dead.
Not to mention people in the US. I'm going to immediately give my 30 day notice and move away from the west coast if shit goes down.

Mik2121

As someone living in Japan, and even with the nuclear deterrence theory in mind, I'm not happy about this stuff. I don't think anything will happen anytime soon, but even then the US should start understanding their current world situation as a country and how everything relates to their allies and otherwise.

Then again, it's Trump, so he probably doesn't even understand what the word ally means.

louiedog

gxYAUL8.jpg

Im more worried about what Trump is gonna do than what NK is gonna do. Nk aint gonna attack kim is not that crazy but Trump would attack first.

Giving nukes to terrorists seems like instant backfire.

The terrorist now have nukes, why wouldn't they proceed to threaten North Korea for more?

Because the US is already bombing them ? -- I'm talking about a last resort contingency plan for the regime

If a launch was sent towards any US territory, S.Korea, Japan and other allies, North Korea would be hit as fast as command knew the attacks were real.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
I've had to hear about NK shenanigans for decades. Somebody do something.

Woorloog

Banned
I hope to hell you're right, but the idea of rolling the dice on millions of lives makes me sick to my stomach.

Well, the whole NK situation has been dice-rolling ever since the Korean War.
Clean up the mess by attacking them and stabilizing the situation for the future, at the risk of escalation?
Or just wait it out and hope the NK collapses by itself?
Wait it out and hope they will be willing to talk and create a solution like China opening itself?
Oh, wait, they got nukes under development, attack now and hope for the best?
Wait, and hope they don't get nukes working?
Wait, and hope they will be willing to talk despite the nukes?
Attack and hope they don't get to use a nuke and/or hope you can shoot it down? (And hope shit doesn't escalate elsewhere.)

Really, no matter what you do, once any action other than "wait" is committed to, it is dice-rolling, one that can be perhaps nudged at best.
And even waiting is just wondering everyday if the NK leadership snaps.

I've had to hear about NK shenanigans for decades. Somebody do something.

Nah, let's just let this play out, I'm sure when the current Kim dies and the next one takes over the situation will de-escalate and millions of North Koreans will wake up freed from the perverse cult that's robbed them of any personal agency.

MrMephistoX

Yeah I'm not exactly fine with NK having ICBMs.
They haven't shown the world stage they are disciplined enough to use them with any sort of rule set.

Being OK with NK as a nuclear superpower is like being ok that the school bully is holding a loaded assault rifle on the playground.

Because NK being a nuclear power would lead to millions of deaths. Only this time NK chooses who dies.

By that logic we should have bombed Stalin back in the late 1940's and China in the 1950's after their first successful nuclear tests before their arms build ups: MAD is a shitty solution but it's the best one we've got. North Korea's regime wants to survive above all else so unless they actually attack an ally there's not a lot we can do at this point.

bitbydeath

I wouldn't be surprised if NK is just trying to coax the US into making the first move.

Most of the world follows China so if China turns on the US due to them firing nukes in their general direction then I'd say it is pretty much game over for the US.

Armadilo

Banned
Someone tweeted this -

Robin Kirk‏ @RobinKirk 2h2 hours ago

I'm reporting to @Twitter a man bringing us to brink of nuclear war. Please delete this account: @realDonaldTrump. #Guam would rest easier.

Wonder how much money Twitter is making off trump

SDCowboy

I wouldn't be surprised if NK is just trying to coax the US into making the first move.

Most of the world follows China so if China turns on the US due to them firing nukes in their general direction then I'd say it is pretty much game over for the US.

What universe do you live in?

Well, the whole NK situation has been dice-rolling ever since the Korean War.
Clean up the mess by attacking them and stabilizing the situation for the future, at the risk of escalation?
Or just wait it out and hope the NK collapses by itself?
Wait it out and hope they will be willing to talk and create a solution like China opening itself?
Oh, wait, they got nukes under development, attack now and hope for the best?
Wait, and hope they don't get nukes working?
Wait, and hope they will be willing to talk despite the nukes?
Attack and hope they don't get to use a nuke and/or hope you can shoot it down? (And hope shit doesn't escalate elsewhere.)

Really, no matter what you do, once any action other than "wait" is committed to, it is dice-rolling, one that can be perhaps nudged at best.
And even waiting is just wondering everyday if the NK leadership snaps.

Yeah, but nuclear-tipped ICBMs exponentially increases the potential casualty yield, so we're now playing on a brand new field and nobody knows the rules. One misstep could start a disastrous chain reaction on a scale we've never seen before. It's horrifying.

Thank god America has a brilliant tactician at the helm. I'd hate to think what would happen otherwise.
We're fucked.

RoKKeR

This worries me way less than Trump's fire and fury or whatever. This is the kind of shit I expect from a nutcase dictator.

Fox Mulder

Well trump knows we have more.

The Argus

The real one.

Most of the world does not follow China... Maybe reliant on China for consumer goods, but they certainly don't follow and respect China's government. If there is a war, even with Trump, the vast majority of UN states will side with the US.

Raven117

Not to mention people in the US. I'm going to immediately give my 30 day notice and move away from the west coast if shit goes down.

You will probably be okay. Its the Korean peninsula and potentially Japan that will be devastated.

What if Kim has the piss tape?

vJhzQXp.gif

That's what I was saying a couple pages back.

I think Russia gave Kim the pee pee tape and Kim is flexing his nuclear muscles openly now knowing Trump won't do shit.

That pee pee tape is a bigger nuclear deterrent than nuclear missiles.

Maybe it's worse than we know? Not just prostitutes peeing on a bed?

Maybe Trump got dressed up in a big diaper outfit too and let the prostitutes spank him and feed him with a baby bottle?

Seriously fuck trump if South Korea or Japan become victims of his poor leadership. Right now it's the battle of the two man babies. I would be done with America people in general for allowing such a buffoon to become elected and cause such an outcome.

Hexa

Most of the world does not follow China... Maybe reliant on China for consumer goods, but they certainly don't follow and respect China's government. If there is a war, even with Trump, the vast majority of UN states will side with the US.

Secondly, it makes no sense for NK to try to coax a first move out of the US because it'll be the last move for NK. All that'll be left is a wasteland.

Korea is a peninsula that does not have naval, air, or land control of their borders or sovereign space. The best they can do is smuggle things to China, and China already has nukes if they particularly want to transfer them to terrorist organizations.

Jag

Seriously fuck trump if South Korea or Japan become victims of his poor leadership. Right now it's the battle of the two man babies. I would be done with America people in general for allowing such a buffoon to become elected and cause such an outcome.

We're kind of done with ourselves over this.

psaman17

Banned
Yea OK. Kim is cray cray but he's not stupid. The day he fires a single missle at anyone is the day his kingdom falls. More posturing and empty threats.

Top Bottom