• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

North Korea Threatens Missile Strike on Guam (a United States Territory)

Fox Mulder

Everyone posting as if Trump holds the key to the military. Lmao. It doesn't work that way. It never has. Jesus people stop drinking the koolaid.

This is in the hands of Mathis and his 100 plus advisors in the Pentagon. If they say it's time to strike. Then it will be. Plain and simple, same as it ever was.

NK striking Guam will take care of the debate really.

TyrantII

To be fair, what could we solve through diplomacy with NK? We've tried a ton of sanctions and they do not care at all and keep building nuclear weapons while threatening various countries. At what point does the line stop moving? Before, it was empty threats, now it should be taken seriously.

As far as managing a war...who is our secretary of defense? Madog Mattis? Like others, I do not want a war, but eventually something will have to happen. Can't keep turning a blind eye to a government who is constantly threatening with such weaponry.

You answered your own question. Deterrence.

The threats are at the worst now because the regime is at it's most perilous since if any attack on NK happens it'll be right at or before they get the capability.

They're rational. The crazy is to keep the US out long enough to make an invasion an even worse option that it already is.

NK threatens to launch nukes a LOT:

threatens preemptive nuclear strike in response to joint US-South Korea military exercises, 2016
http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/06/asia/north-korea-preemptive-nuclear-strike-threat/index.html

Warns US its ready to use nukes any moment, 2015
http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/15/asia/north-korea-nuclear-program/index.html

North Korea threatens to attack the white house if Obama retaliates over the Sony hacks, 2014
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/12/21/north-korea-threatens-us_n_6362608.html

I'm sure you can find a couple per year going back a while. So yeah, its kind of silly to act like a headless chicken every time North Korea threatens anyone.

Now if you see China suddenly moving a lot of troops around, then its time to get worried.

Blablurn

threatens preemptive nuclear strike in response to joint US-South Korea military exercises, 2016
http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/06/asia/north-korea-preemptive-nuclear-strike-threat/index.html

North Korea threatens to attack the white house if Obama retaliates over the Sony hacks, 2014
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/12/21/north-korea-threatens-us_n_6362608.html

I'm sure you can find a couple per year going back a while. So yeah, its kind of silly to act like a headless chicken every time North Korea threatens anyone.

But this time its for real, dude

kmfdmpig

Tell Trump to not mention bringing down hellfire in the middle of lunch and you'll have a better chance of China working something out

Trump sucks, but China has stood by and done very little to work anything out regarding NK for decades. I don't think Trump's rhetoric really excuses China's handling of NK over the last 60+ years.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain

Now if you see China suddenly moving a lot of troops around, then its time to get worried.

Who was president during these times? No one is nervous about NK. We are nervous about Donald "Shitpiece" Trump.

Jintor

It was a real thrill ride to wake up to "Trump promises fire and fury" and "Trump gets a folder of positive stories about himself everyday" as dominant headlines

Who was president during these times? No one is nervous about NK. We are nervous about Donald "Shitpiece" Trump.

Bingo. We're probably safe right now while NK just talks about attacking the US... but the moment Un realizes he can goad DT with a comment on his hand size...

TarNaru33

Banned

This is intellectually dishonest since North Korea did not have the capability to do so (and may still not have the ability for all we and the intelligence community knows). They couldn't "launch" any strike except on South Korea in the form of short-medium missiles and artillery. Without any capability, of course it is just them yelling and throwing shit, as all the previous administrations pushed the issue to the next administration as usual.

I would of backed a Syrian intervention and I sure as hell back keeping another country from obtaining nuclear ability. This would be the one time I may actually back Trump on any action including full military action.

Damaniel

Banned
Bingo. We're probably safe right now while NK just talks about attacking the US... but the moment Un realizes he can goad DT with a comment on his hand size...

It's sad that I have far more confidence in the sanity of the leader of a brutal authoritarian regime than I do the President of the United States.

I remember everyone around here talking about how it was never going to happen when I said "it's always funny until it happens" in regards to some random threat by NK a few years so. Guess it's still funny though.

jaxpunk

It's sad that I have far more confidence in the sanity of the leader of a brutal authoritarian regime than I do the President of the United States.

Just want to make sure you're clear on this point. You're saying NK leader who runs literal slave camps with children in them. You trust him more than Trump...

neogaf.gif

I think its safe to suggest that Trump brought on a war.
These dick wagging contests between Trump and Korea is not a good sign.

Steel

Banned
Just want to make sure you're clear on this point. You're saying NK leader who runs literal slave camps with children in them. You trust him more than Trump...

neogaf.gif

They trust Kim to do what's in his own best interest more than Trump not being reckless. They're not speaking to morality.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much

neogaf.gif

Kim is predictable. All his country does is sabre-rattle, that's all they will ever do. He doesn't want to die, he wants to carry on eating fancy imported cheese and watching Hollywood films.

They are pushing things to new extremes because they know that the international community is much more scared of Donald Trump than North Korea. He appears deranged enough to actually push the button, whereas we all know NK would never launch a military first strike.

linkboy

neogaf.gif

Kim is a fucking loon, but he's got everything to lose. There's no way he can fully defeat the US military. He knows it, and we know it. After a possible first strike by North Korea, even if not successful, the US military will wipe his regime off the map.

Trump, on the other hand, knows damn well he's got the military advantage and really doesn't have anything to lose by using it. He's the looser canon, because if he's having a bad day, he can give the order to attack.

Sue

Banned
We either have no war and let DPRK perpetuate its existence. A country oppressing it's people, and allowing them to starve for another 20 years. Or we deal with it with precision with the assistance of our allies and then spend the next 20 years reforming it and reunifying it into ROK.

We just don't know what DPRK will do. They've spent their entire existence threatening and testing different kinds of bombs.

BriGuy

I wonder if some of the higher ups in NK might stage a coup against Kim if they believe Trump is actually dumb enough to nuke them.

linkboy

Sorry Gaf, if Kim actually follows through with this threat, all bets are off. Trump and congress will be in the right to retaliate with force.

True, but the fucking loon I'm worried about isn't the one in Korea.

Trump is the wild card. Everyone can see plain as day what will happen to North Korea if they attack first.

Trump, on the other hand, knows damn well there's no consequence for him if he decides to launch an attack.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I suspect there are entire rooms in the Pentagon dedicated to military plans specifically to deal with NK. It may not be a matter of Trump telling them to do it, it may be a matter of having a President that will finally let them do it.

I suspect there are entire rooms in the Pentagon dedicated to military plans specifically to deal with NK. It may not be a matter of Trump telling them to do it, it may be a matter of having a President that will finally let them do it.

An assault on North Korea is probably the most thoroughly "solved" problem in modern military strategy and logistics since it's been continuously on the table and near-static in terms of the terrain, primary weapons, and troop compositions for going on forty years, yes.

That doesn't mean it would go over cleanly or to-plan--it's even possible it could go easier than anticipated, as happened in the initial force-on-force invasion of Iraq--but it does mean that it's likely to be a flash war, one way or the other. The situation's long been more of a Mexican stand-off than a proper staredown.

kmfdmpig

We either have no war and let DPRK perpetuate its existence. A country oppressing it's people, and allowing them to starve for another 20 years. Or we deal with it with precision with the assistance of our allies and then spend the next 20 years reforming it and reunifying it into ROK.

We just don't know what DPRK will do. They've spent their entire existence threatening and testing different kinds of bombs.
Don't fall for the propaganda of precision weapons. Drones, Tomahawks, and precision weapons have not prevented a ton of civilian casualties when the US military has acted in the last 30 years. An attack on North Korea would be a bloodbath for innocent people both in the North and the South.

Two Words

NK is the Civ that keeps its military up, which is 2 full tech eras behind yours, around your border and won't stop pestering you with war threats until you actually demonstrate how quickly you can take out its units.

Don't fall for the propaganda of precision weapons. Drones, Tomahawks, and precision weapons have not prevented a ton of civilian casualties when the US military has acted in the last 30 years. An attack on North Korea would be a bloodbath for innocent people both in the North and the South.

More to the point, Kim's regime has always effectively treated the population as de facto hostages, so you have to operate under the assumption he's going to do some heinous things to try and blunt any offensive. (Having civilians pack into military targets to use as "bomb shelters" disingenuously, starving his own people to feed the military, possibly even active genocide...)

Any attack on North Korea has to be made with the conviction to see it through despite what are likely to be considerable casualties. The opening assumption cannot be that it's possible to carry it out "cleanly", even if that's fully the intent going in.

I wonder what % of Americans don't know Guam is a US territory. We all seem to know Puerto Rico is. Most know American Samoa is ( thanks to America in the name, same with American Virgin Islands ). But I bet theres an even lower % of Americans that know the Mariana Islands are a US territory.

5taquitos

Why does south Korea have so much built up near the border? I don't know how the population is spread out in the area.
Because Seoul has existed there for hundreds of years before the country split?

You can't exactly just pick up and move a city of millions.

Why does south Korea have so much built up near the border? I don't know how the population is spread out in the area.

The simple answer is that post-war Korea built up largely around the military presence in the country, which was primarily focused near the DMZ, aside from a few naval and air bases.

At the time of the war, for example, Uijeongbu was just the dusty nothing-hill where MASH was supposed to be set, and Seoul was almost completely destroyed and rebuilt as a show of modernization and economic recovery in the wake of the war.

J-Rzez

I emailed someone stationed there, they're not concerned.

NK isn't this stupid, I don't think. They're used to their BS saber rattling and getting gifts for being good boys and girls. The problem this time even they have to surely realize is they're messing with the wrong Super Power, and most certainly the wrong President. Unless Un wants to go out in a spectacular suicidal fashion, they know full well if they do anything they will be erradicated so quickly it would pale "shock and awe." Trump will not back down and play silly games like others in the past. He will wipe all facets of that group from the face of the earth.

I still believe surely there has to be someone smart there to stop them from doing anything. Imagine if they follow their trend and decide to "test" launch something again soon. It will be seen as an attack and that's it. China will not turn on the US, they are a much more reasonable group and understand the role they play in the world and will respond correctly. They get involved against the US they will lose militarily, and, they also lost a major source of their power, US commerce.

The simple answer is that post-war Korea built up largely around the military presence in the country, which was primarily focused near the DMZ, aside from a few naval and air bases.

At the time of the war, for example, Uijeongbu was just the dusty nothing-hill where MASH was supposed to be set, and Seoul was almost completely destroyed and rebuilt as a show of modernization and economic recovery in the wake of the war.

Thanks you. This was a good explanation.

NK isn't this stupid, I don't think. They're used to their BS saber rattling and getting gifts for being good boys and girls. The problem this time even they have to surely realize is they're messing with the wrong Super Power, and most certainly the wrong President. Unless Un wants to go out in a spectacular suicidal fashion, they know full well if they do anything they will be erradicated so quickly it would pale "shock and awe." Trump will not back down and play silly games like others in the past. He will wipe all facets of that group from the face of the earth.

I still believe surely there has to be someone smart there to stop them from doing anything. Imagine if they follow their trend and decide to "test" launch something again soon. It will be seen as an attack and that's it. China will not turn on the US, they are a much more reasonable group and understand the role they play in the world and will respond correctly. They get involved against the US they will lose militarily, and, they also lost a major source of their power, US commerce.
why do people comepletely ignore the damage to the US, Japan and SK. Parts of those countries would be "whiped off the face of the earth including LA, San Diego, Washington DC.

Sure we'd win but millions of our citizens could likely die.

This is the problem, a lot of you are making assumptions on the other side because its "rational" and its how YOU would think/act.

Kim Jong Un is extremely isolated, is surrounded by people who only tell him what he wants to hear, and he literally kills people who displease him. His world view is going to be EXTREMELY distorted. He is not watching MSNBC or having intelligent advisers give him advice on how to help his country, even guesses as to the things he cares about are pure guesses. Maybe he just wants to eat a lot of cheese and watch Space Jam all day.

Brief story: Saddam Hussein back over a decade ago blustered and threatened the world that he had WMDs and he would use them if anyone attacked Iraq. We now know that he had zilch, but interviews after his capture tell us that he thought faking the weapons would prevent the Iranians from attacking and he never thought the US would ever invade, just send a few airplane attacks which he could easily survive.
http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/01/27/saddam.cbs/index.html

It is foolish to assume your opponent will act rationally, in their self interest, or possess all the facts. Trump's a wildcard for sure but Kim Jong Un is beyond a wild card, nobody knows what he wants, what his position is, how stable his regime is, how much influence the Chinese have over him, or what he is going to do next.

That said past history is a pretty good indicator of future behavior, and he has exhibited this behavior before of wild threats leading to nothing.

why do people comepletely ignore the damage to the US, Japan and SK. Parts of those countries would be "whiped off the face of the earth including LA, San Diego, Washington DC.

Sure we'd win but millions of our citizens could likely die.

I'm not sure what fantasy scenario you have envisioned where a shootout between North Korea and the US results in Washington, DC being wiped off the face of the Earth.

El_Mau

Kim Jong Un is extremely isolated, is surrounded by people who only tell him what he wants to hear, and he literally kills people who displease him. His world view is going to be EXTREMELY distorted. He is not watching MSNBC or having intelligent advisers give him advice on how to help his country, even guesses as to the things he cares about are pure guesses. Maybe he just wants to eat a lot of cheese and watch Space Jam all day.

It's sad and terrifying that a lot of that could be said about Trump

Isolated
Feed with constant praise
Distorted world view
Surrounded by idiots
No ones sure what he's thinking
Just wants to watch tv and play golf all day

Go_Ly_Dow

I live in Nagasaki, which is on the west coast of Japan, which is where most of their missile tests end up.

I'm getting very nervous about this.

Coincidentally, it's also Peace day in Japan today, the day to mark the atomic bomb.

Top Bottom