• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Not confirmed: Dark Souls 3 PC framerate to be locked at 30 fps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KainXVIII

yet for some reason I never had an issue with 60fps, nice bullshit =D

if yall really couldn't make it back to the tutorial level in 60fps, git gud at jumping nubs

If you slide the ladders you can fall through floor, that only one issue that i have (just press 30 fps lock button when you near ladder, that's all)

Red Hood

Banned
Gameplay is based on framerate (30fps or so in this regard). IIRC turning on 60fps in DS1 sped up the game's logic by double.

No. You remembered not correctly. I've played DS1 on 60fps two and a half times (haven't completed third playthrough yet) and I have encountered zero issues, except for very randomly (twice in 100 hours) falling through the ground when sliding off ladders. Existing the game and re-enter and you start right in front of the ladder. A very, very minuscule price to pay for smooth 60fps.

convo

Yeah Durante doesn't have to do anything and he isn't the source of all the corrections made to PC versions. I believe if he's fed up and doesn't want to look into it when it comes out, then someone else will do the same job.
All in all this isn't the last word on the PC version.

It's not necessarily arbitrary if the game's logic is tied to frame rate as it has been in the past.

I don't see it as a different thing at all, only one of their games has ever been 60fps and that was on a different engine by a "B team".
Although you may not see them as different things, they are as A is different enough from B, where the behaviour as per A cannot substantiate generalisable claims about B.

Cutting out real time shadows =/ allow you to make unverifiable claims about regression regarding framerate locks.

Also, the idea that "B team's" engine is so different or something from Team A's is weird as they quite obviously share tons of base technology, it is obvious when jsut looking at what visuals are produced. Similarly I am not sure why one team would (for some unbeknownst yet assumed reason by you) programme via frame steps and the other would not. There is no evidence for such behaviour, and it sounds like wild guessing and wishing to me.

Shredderi

What goes through the mind of a publisher/developer when they consider locking the FPS on PC ?

This. I want to be the fly on the wall on a meeting where a bunch of people reason aloud why they would cap a framerate on PC when their previous release did not. What are the mental gymnastics and thought processes like? The only one that I can think of (because DS2 wasn't capped) is that they'd somehow be so misguided that they think that the console versions will look bad next to the PC version. But since DS2 did not do this and they don't need another fiasco (DS2 downgrade) on their hands I don't think this will happen.

Murman

Blobbers

According to Peeve, when Miyazaki was asked about framerate in DS3 during one of those closed conferences, his comment was "We're working on getting 30FPS to work on all platforms and that's all I'm gonna say about that."

Yudoken

no_god_please_no_by_drizz67-d8agadi.jpg

Plum

Well at least we'll hopefully now when the Japanese release comes out, and people willing to import and/or use VPNs will be able to fix it before the western release.

But if it's true I'll be refunding my purchase for sure and only buying it new if it's fixed. If they've made it so that it can't be fixed I'll just get the PS4 version used.

Horp

The game could have been capped after the 60fps trailers were made; bugtesting could have revealed issues with the physics at 60, or lack of time could have forced them to export all animations just once, in 30 fps (for console)

Or the trailer might not have been 60 at all, good use of high quality post production motion blur can make 30 fps look very close to 60 (just like the motion smoothing in modern TVs, but better).

Do NOT assume 60 fps guys.

While I am inclined to agree and I am hopeful you are correct. Remember the nvidia gameworks trailer for Batman Arkham Knight? Albeit an extreme comparison (It's unlikely FromSoftware would do a sly move like that) I'd still be wary of your optimism for your own sake if nothing else.

I am not sure I am expressing optimism, rather just following the logic of From's PC release pattern to date (30fps barebones port----> backlash + popularity, catered PC port for DS 2---->DS3). As taking Batman AK is akin to applying X case to a Y situation. What happened there has no generalisable effect/correlation on what happens here.

It is like when people use Batman AK as an example of PC porting in general. Completely illogical.

While I am inclined to agree and I am hopeful you are correct. Remember the nvidia gameworks trailer for Batman Arkham Knight? Albeit an extreme comparison (It's unlikely FromSoftware would do a sly move like that) I'd still be wary of your optimism for your own sake if nothing else.
From Software was enormously deceptive with the pre-release footage of Dark Souls 2. They sold everybody a game that doesn't exist. They absolutely would do a sly move like that.

I figure the game will probably run at 60fps, but I have enough doubt that I won't be preordering it, that's for sure.

Regardless of whether or not it's actually the case, I guarantee this was the discussion on the customer service end of this.

Support Representative: "This guy is emailing a store's customer service department to ask about the framerate of an unreleased game."
Manager: "These fucking people."
Support Representative: "They want to know if it'll be capped at 30 or not."
Manager: "How the hell should we know? Just tell them yes."

Gbraga

I personally wouldn't mind it, but they should really just make it official already. It's really fucked up to let people find out at release date. Do they really prefer the backlash on launch instead of now?

collige

Banned
If you slide the ladders you can fall through floor, that only one issue that i have (just press 30 fps lock button when you near ladder, that's all)

Jumping is also much more more difficult. The jump/roll to get up to Snuggly's nest, for example, is practically impossible at 60 FPS. 60 FPS also messes with the liquid physics which makes the visual effect for the Undead Dragon poison breath way smaller than the hitbox which leads to getting hit by invisible attacks.

convo

People saying there is no problem with 60 fps souls games forgot the weapon degradation in DS2 that took months to correct. From is still making these games with 30 fps in mind and some problems arise when turning it up to 60, no matter how minor those problems From themselves will not address them themselves or at least it will take some time and yelling.

But do not assume the danger of 30 as well. There is no reasonable evidence put forward that supports it... just wishing and fears.

edit:
As this was PC version I previewed the game on, being capped to thirty frames-per-second felt largely insulting. This is something the first game was criticized for, rectified with in Dark Souls 2. Whether this changes or not on release is questionable at this point. But it would benefit greatly given the responsive nature and requirements of its gameplay.
Read more at http://gamingbolt.com/dark-souls-3-hands-on-impressions-sacrifice-of-social-life#H3c2kKTqxEIXLCuW.99

Dear jesus. I can only hope that it was a fluke preview at an event, and not actual confirmation.

Shredderi

If the unlikely does happen and it ends up being capped at 30fps in an impotent attempt at console parity, only to be broken in mere minutes by Durante, From can fucking shove their game (that I've been salivating for) up their collective ass.

epmode

This is unbelievable. Seeing the improvement from DS1 to 2's PC port, I figured we were in the clear for DS3.

Awful.

Grief.exe

Yes he played at a preview event using an old build that was locked to 30.

It's entirely possible that the game was locked due to performance concerns as that build likely didn't have the optimization passes that occur near the end of development.

I bought DS1 without official 60 support because I figured that From was new at this so I overlooked it. I don't think I can do that again, especially after DS2 came with official support.

DS2 had some issues, but overall an excellent port and a refreshing departure from the initial DS1 release.

But do not assume the danger of 30 as well. There is no reasonable evidence put forward that supports it... just wishing and fears.

Last build shown was on 30fps, Miyazaki refuses to comment beyond saying they're working on getting working at 30, like what the fuck more do you need to understand why people might at least be a little worried?

Red Hood

Banned
The game could have been capped after the 60fps trailers were made; bugtesting could have revealed issues with the physics at 60, or lack of time could have forced them to export all animations just once, in 30 fps (for console)

Or the trailer might not have been 60 at all, good use of high quality post production motion blur can make 30 fps look very close to 60 (just like the motion smoothing in modern TVs, but better).

This is for PC, thus we CAN assume 60fps. It's that simple. Don't shit out a PC port if you don't want to comply.

Plum

People saying there is no problem with 60 fps souls games forgot the weapon degradation in DS2 that took months to correct. From is still making these games with 30 fps in mind and some problems arise when turning it up to 60, no matter how minor those problems From themselves will not address them themselves or at least it will take some time and yelling.

60fps doesn't break game mechanics unless the devs make it so. Frankly after two PC releases a 30fps lock is unacceptable, and just shows how little From cares about the PC market (don't know why, DaS1 and 2 sold great amounts on PC).

Of course it might not be true but everything is pointing to it.

Gameplay is based on framerate (30fps or so in this regard). IIRC turning on 60fps in DS1 sped up the game's logic by double.

No. There are very few differences between 30 and 60fps in Dark Souls. At 60, the only differences are that rolls and jumps are slightly shorter, your running speed (as well as the speed you slide down the ramp to the Bed of Chaos) is marginally slower, and there are a couple of ladders in the game that you will end up falling though the ground at the bottom of if you slide down them.

shiyrley

Banned

Not assuming 60 FPS on PC is like not assuming that the resolution of a PS4 game will be higher than 480p.

Durante save us

It kinda makes me sad that the possibility of it being modded is what is going to prob push quite a few copies. I don't think Souls 1 would have gotten anywhere nearly the numbers it had without DSfix.

My patience with From Software is wearing very thing at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom