• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Not confirmed: Dark Souls 3 PC framerate to be locked at 30 fps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

impact

Banned
This is unbelievable. Seeing the improvement from DS1 to 2's PC port, I figured we were in the clear for DS3.

Awful.

They know they can put in zero effort and Durante will fix it anyway :(

Japanese companies really don't understand the PC. Personally I blame the dogshit standards of Japanese gamers.

Better to assume the worst, to avoid preordering and being disappointed.
I am of this line of thinking when it makes sense. I just see no great reason to presume worse, rather, I would just presume the "normal" will be maintained.

The gamingbolt commentary above is worrying if one assumes that the retail game is that. But... we cannot possibly know that.
Last build shown was on 30fps, Miyazaki refuses to comment beyond saying they're working on getting working at 30, like what the fuck more do you need to understand why people might at least be a little worried?
Sure, be worried.
But do not take hearsay and illogical connections IMO and spout them as fact or generalisable.

Well, this went from a day 1 purchase, to at least a day 2 purchase. If it is locked to 30, and they do something dumb like tie weapon durability to the frame-rate again. I'm going to be pretty disappointed.

johntown

Banned
I don't think it will be locked at 30fps for one second. Even if it is who really cares because we will find a way around it day 1.

zma1013

Jumping is also much more more difficult. The jump/roll to get up to Snuggly's nest, for example, is practically impossible at 60 FPS. 60 FPS also messes with the liquid physics which makes the visual effect for the Undead Dragon poison breath way smaller than the hitbox which leads to getting hit by invisible attacks.

While jumping is effected, none of the jumps in the game are "practically impossible." That jump you are talking about is fine. A harder jump is the jump to the ninja sword in Blighttown, but it's still doable.

nkarafo

Why is it so hard for this developer to make a game for PCs? Almost every other console to PC port can run at 60fps or more...

Gbraga

According to Namco, the PC preview build was 6 months old, and the final release "should be 60fps", the problem is that "should be" is already a bit bs, they should know for sure by now.

It's in their best interest to just be honest about it if it's 30 too. That way people who find 30 unacceptable can just cancel their preorders now and just complain about it, rather than making your game review poorly on Steam because they bought expecting what people expect out of PC games and didn't get it.

And it will take about as much time as breathing out, to make it run at 60 when it releases. But you gotta have some principles to believe in.

Just because there's an unofficial fix doesn't excuse the devs
I'll buy the game, but that's a shitty move from From.

Sure, be worried.
But do not take hearsay and illogical connections IMO and spout them as fact or generalisable.

No one is doing that. People are expressing worries based off what we have been told so I don't even know what else to say at this point.

They know they can put in zero effort and Durante will fix it anyway :(

Japanese companies really don't understand the PC. Personally I blame the dogshit standards of Japanese gamers.

How is it Japanese gamers' faults when just as many if not more people in the west bought Souls 1 on pc?

Dinda

God damn, coming in this thread i was sure it was just some support person that doesn't have any idea, but now with that article .....

Come on From you can't be so stupid!

convo

It kinda makes me sad that the possibility of it being modded is what is going to prob push quite a few copies. I don't think Souls 1 would have gotten anywhere nearly the numbers it had without DSfix.

My patience with From Software is wearing very thing at this point.
I remember Miyazaki himself not giving a single fuck about any questions related to framerates, the company itself doesn't seem to care to your extend at least, one wonders if they care about the techincal aspect when they have been mostly console developers.

Grief.exe

According to Namco, the PC preview build was 6 months old, and the final release "should be 60fps", the problem is that "should be" is already a bit bs, they should know for sure by now.

It's in their best interest to just be honest about it if it's 30 too. That way people who find 30 unacceptable can just cancel their preorders now and just complain about it, rather than making your game review poorly on Steam because they bought expecting what people expect out of PC games and didn't get it.

They also can't make a catch-all statement on framerate, too many extenuating factors such as hardware, graphics car manufacturers, etc.

According to Peeve, when Miyazaki was asked about framerate in DS3 during one of those closed conferences, his comment was "We're working on getting 30FPS to work on all platforms and that's all I'm gonna say about that."

XbSBb7f.jpg

+
McmD9CG.gif

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Hope this isn't true, because after playing the ps4 version at the press event I was looking forward to the pc version for 60 fps. Framerate was the only big issue I had with the demo.

Gbraga

They also can't make a catch-all statement on framerate, too many extenuating factors such as hardware, graphics car manufacturers, etc.

Well, they can say for sure it's "unlocked", or "up to 60", or "60 depending on your hardware".

Not to say that you're wrong, but saying nothing is actually making people expect at least 60, which is the norm (and already overlooking a bit, since the real norm nowadays is uncapped, but people would be mostly ok with 60). They can't say nothing, or "should be 60" and then deliver a game with a 30fps cap. If it's 30, they need to tell us.

Grief.exe

Your new ava is making me feel uncomfortable grief. I miss the bern.

Been coming back don't worry.

No no no, have they learned nothing? And this is an entirely new preview. Why would they show it off at 30fps if it wasn't true? God dammit.

I'm going to sound like a broken record, but that was an extremely old build that likely didn't have the optimization passes that generally occur at the end of development.

Wild framerate jumps between 60 and 40 would massively impact the ability to preview the game by journalists.

SunBroZak

Neo Member
While I don't necessarily think a 30 fps lock is acceptable for a PC port nowadays, I could stomach that if it's the only issue with the PC version. What I'd hate to see is another shoddy port job like the one we received for the original Dark Souls. A capped frame rate isn't great but a frame rate that constantly dips below 30 alongside numerous playability issues would be a nightmare. I would hope Dark Souls 2 is an indication that they're better than that.

Bl@de

If that's the case then I'll wait until somebody patches the game (probably Durante 15min after the release).

What worries me the most (even if it will get patched by somebody): How wonky will it be at unlocked fps (weapon durability, jump distances, etc.). I hope it's not too bad.

Arkeband

Banned
Well, they can say for sure it's "unlocked", or "up to 60", or "60 depending on your hardware".

Not to say that you're wrong, but saying nothing is actually making people expect at least 60, which is the norm (and already overlooking a bit, since the real norm nowadays is uncapped, but people would be mostly ok with 60). They can't say nothing, or "should be 60" and then deliver a game with a 30fps cap. If it's 30, they need to tell us.

Twitter hashtag: #ShouldBe60

convo

Just because there's an unofficial fix doesn't excuse the devs
I'll buy the game, but that's a shitt move from From.

And that is all it takes for developers to not care about it.Money is money. There would need to be a passionate PC players at FROM for improvements, but when the President himself is sick and tired of that question maybe it will take some time.

Plum

If that's the case then I'll wait until somebody patches the game (probably Durante 15min after the relase).

Lets just hope that the game doesn't use Denuvo or some other mod-stopping DRM solution. If that's the case Namco and From don't deserve my money, I'll buy it used instead.

DryvBy

I'm more worried about the 24,000+ emails he hasn't opened. Goodness!

Please open at 30 eps
emails per second

And that is all it takes for developers to not care about it.Money is money. There would need to be a passionate PC players at FROM for improvements, but when the President himself is sick and tired of that question maybe it will take some time.

I'll buy it when it's fixed, which won't take long
They deserve flak for this though, and they'll probably get plenty

RedSwirl

Very odd considering the DS2 port.

That said, I have the feeling DS3 on PC is gonna be a lot more demanding than DS2 was. Lower-to-mid-range cards are probably gonna have to run it at 30fps anyway.

Grief.exe

VrPqGOu.gif

Lets just hope that the game doesn't use Denuvo or some other mod-stopping DRM solution. If that's the case Namco and From don't deserve my money, I'll buy it used instead.

Nightmare

no1dead

Banned
"but guys dark souls 2 was at 60fps..."

Also made by a different group.

But so help me god if this game is locked at 720p has shitty mouse and keyboard controls and runs at 30fps.

Imma get a one way ticket to wherever those fuckers are and have a stern talking.

convo

I'll buy it when it's fixed, which won't take long
They deserve flak for this though, and they'll probably get plenty

Yelling at From for framerate improvements is nearly as fruitless as asking Kamiya about Bayonetta 2 on non-Nintendo consoles.

aravuus

Man, that'd genuinely make me re-think about buying it. I fucking love the games, but that'd be such bullshit I'm not sure even I could swallow it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom