• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nothing stops this train. PUBG surpasses [-46,278,233,054] concurrent users (!!!!)

Parsnip

Peak Today: 970,954
Inching closer and closer.

Also the game definitely has some jank in it. Everything about vehicles is just straight up shit for example, there's no denying that.

leeh

Why are some people so mad at this game's success? Console and/or Zelda fanboys mad that a multiplayer only PC exclusive (for now at least) is the most popular game of the year and will easily grab the GOTY award?

The salt, jesus.
Cause its coming to Xbox first and not PS4. If it was a timed Sony exclusive it'd be the greatest game to grace us in a decade.

Tecnniqe

Banned
People call out PUBG because it's the Goat Simulator of shooters - janky, poor production values yet it's a massive memish phenomenon. I'm fine with people enjoying it (for whatever reason), tho not everyone is going to be enamoured with what's being served up.

You know, I agree.

PUBG is just a sad little phenomenon on a niche system only for the few members of the internet harassment organisation called Personal Computer Master Race.

It's a sad day when such early access garbage can sell 10 million copies in under a year. Literally the entire PCMR got cucked by Bluehole and Mr. Greene.

Wake up sheeple!

giphy.gif

13ruce

Banned
Why are some people so mad at this game's success? Console and/or Zelda fanboys mad that a multiplayer only PC exclusive (for now at least) is the most popular game of the year and will easily grab the GOTY award?

The salt, jesus.

Zelda and Mario, Horizon, couple of yearly multiplay games, and Uncharted will still win the majority of em tho so i don't get the frustration an early access game never won most goty.

Rust etc were pretty darn popular too and never won lots of goty's.

blacklotus

Game is awesome! Really loads of fun times and nerve racking.

Also, it's funny how the game bugs - most of them - make it even more appealing because of all the fucking hilarious videos that spawn from them.

Gold mine.

The game is jank city and even now is really awful when it comes to optimization but my god it just lands too well/is great fun solo and in groups

Elandyll

Banned
you are right

people like to hate the popular kid it seems
That's always been a thing though, from LOL, GTA, Minecraft or Skyrim all the way to Fallout 4 or Overwatch.
Not to say that healthy skepticism isn't warranted though.

Now, not being really interested in shooters myself, but being suprised by the success of this mod-turned-game, I wonder: what is not copyable here.
What would prevent 10 EA clones, and 10 AAA shooter games to have a battleground-like mode tomorrow? With perhaps some of hem improving on the recipe even?
I just ponder if what seems new and fresh now won't be stale and overdone within 6 months?

Grats on the devs though, found and iterated on a nice concept that really caught up with a good chunck of gamers.

kabel

Hey guys, yeah I like PUBG too, it's fun and...

meme game

another goat simulator

early access games don't deserve GOTY

ok, bye

Can't some of you sleep at night without shitting on video games/devs?

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Why is this a big deal?
Because that makes it a very notable game. It's approaching Call of Duty on 360 levels of concurrent numbers.

Right now this game's concurrent player numbers trumps Call of Duty on its most popular platform (PS4).

That's always been a thing though, from LOL, GTA, Minecraft or Skyrim all the way to Fallout 4 or Overwatch.

Now, not being really interested in shooters myself, but being suprised by the success of this mod-turned-game, I wonder: what is not copyable here.
What would prevent 10 EA clones, and 10 AAA shooter games to have a battleground-like mode tomorrow? With perhaps some of hem improving on the recipe even?
I just ponder if what seems new and fresh now won't be stale and overdone within 6 months?

Grats on the devs though, found and iterated on a nice concept that really caught up with a good chunck of gamers.

Counterstrike's been going along since 1999. I don't see any pretrenders to the throne. And like PUBG, it may as well all bunt ignored on GAF.

Would a AAA dev have the notion to make a game where the player can do nothing if they want? That doesn't force action on the player, or have perks/upgrades/etc., or that lets them die in the first minute of a match before they even get a kill?

Part of the appeal is the freedom and how that freedom lets every individual player customize the amount of difficulty and challenge they want on the fly. Hiding, staying away from combat, trying to keep a low profile, is as valid and viable as getting into the thick of the action

benny_a

Would a AAA dev have the notion to make a game [...] that lets them die in the first minute of a match before they even get a kill?
Relevant:
tVpdf4u.png

Maybe the kill isn't important, but the tension. PUBG is a phenomenon outside the regular FOTM nomadic Twitch streaming horde parameters and that is very notable.

That is not the question. The question now is if PUBG will be as influential as the more influential games of this industry.

Relevant:
tVpdf4u.png

Maybe the kill isn't important, but the tension. PUBG is a phenomenon outside the regular FOTM nomadic Twitch streaming horde parameters and that is very notable.

That is not the question. The question now is if PUBG will be as influential as the more influential games of this industry.
GTA V recently got a Battle Royale style mode. I imagine that's only the beginning

Because that makes it a very notable game. It's approaching Call of Duty on 360 levels of concurrent numbers.

Right now this game's concurrent player numbers trumps Call of Duty on its most popular platform (PS4).

How do you know that? Is there a data for that?

Just curious.

benny_a

How do you know that? Is there a data for that?
COD used to publish in game how many people were online concurrently, so that's where I have the historic data from.

Current COD data you just have to trust me as I've had access to ActiBlizz information that are not public and have shared them on here before.

Budi

GTA V recently got a Battle Royale style mode. I imagine that's only the beginning
And Division got it's Survival DLC some time ago. It's not exactly like Battle Royale but pretty similar while maintaining more features from the roots where Battle Royale was born.

Demoskinos

See, this is the type of stuff I'm talking about. Here's a newsflash: 9 million people with an average of 84 hours played don't play this game because of their favorite streamer. They play it because it's a good game.

FOMO and being in the conversation for whatever game is popular at the time is absolutely something that affects game sales and engagement rate. Not doubting it's a solid game just saying don't underestimate how the social element can influence what media people engage in.

congrats bourgeois you've lowered the bar substantially and managed to sound like one smug mothafucka doing it

now do yourself a favor and stay out of PUBG threads, it's pretty embarrassing for you

Fear of missing out on being part of the cultural phenomenon drives PUBG. "I was logged on when it went 1 mil concurrent!"

i mean just look at this

you've really got no clue at all what you're talking about and this is one of the most moronic hypotheticals i have ever seen

get a fucking grip guy

What?

Seriously?

How do these kind of people deal with failure in real life?

Failure in real life is different than failure in a video game. Video games are all about instant gratification and some people don't want to stress themselves trying to kill a player while getting destroyed. This is also the main reason why casual players lose interest in fighting games.

Zelda and Mario, Horizon, couple of yearly multiplay games, and Uncharted will still win the majority of em tho so i don't get the frustration an early access game never won most goty.

Rust etc were pretty darn popular too and never won lots of goty's.

I'm almost certain I've pointed out to you before how PUBG i s n ' t 'Rust etc' and why that's a pretty shitty point of comparison but it's whatever

you see those numbers Durante posted for you above, though? Now there's no excuse anymore.

Peak Today: 970,954
Inching closer and closer.

Also the game definitely has some jank in it. Everything about vehicles is just straight up shit for example, there's no denying that.

And somehow the driving is still better than Ghost Recon

People call out PUBG because it's the Goat Simulator of shooters - janky, poor production values yet it's a massive memish phenomenon. I'm fine with people enjoying it (for whatever reason), tho not everyone is going to be enamoured with what's being served up.

giphy.gif

Orayn

SteamSpy has pretty consistently underestimated PUBG when compared to announcements from BlueHole, so it's probably well past 9M at this point.

Top Bottom