• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nothing stops this train. PUBG surpasses [-46,278,233,054] concurrent users (!!!!)

hesido

Most people truly take that to heart. Sit in a house and camp for 10 minutes at a time, waiting for any jump at someone late at looting. Perhaps continuing to sit in that same house for the rest of the game if they're lucky with circles, only using their pump shotgun.

The game rewards campers. Why should anyone go on the hunt and actively seek other players when the "chicken dinner" wants you to sit in that corner or prone near a bush almost the entire game?

Camping is more than a valid strategy, sure, but some players truly take it and run with it to the fullest extent, which I think is a real shame and downside to the game. Not many players even give it a chance, being able to just hunt and run towards the action, progressively getting better at it, and dropping into cities and regularly stacking kills. They'd rather stay in the shack and parade their extremely rare 1-2 kill "victory", while they were again, proning near a rock most of the time. If they were in an open field with their shotgun/smg, it'd be game over, every time.

Other than that, I think the game is great and provides a very unique experience you can't get in any other game.

Campers could cough to reveal position every now and then :)

Lothars

Why are some people so mad at this game's success? Console and/or Zelda fanboys mad that a multiplayer only PC exclusive (for now at least) is the most popular game of the year and will easily grab the GOTY award?

The salt, jesus.
There's no guarentee it will be the runaway game to get GOTY, It's going to win some but there's still tons of great games that have been released this year.

The success of PUBG is fantastic but you can't say that it's automatically going to win everything.

Cause its coming to Xbox first and not PS4. If it was a timed Sony exclusive it'd be the greatest game to grace us in a decade.
I am not surprised your making statements like this but hey nothing like your xbox prosecution complex.

JDB

Banned
Sounds good for the flow of the match, but I'd imagine the survival aspects end up being very superficial in such short stretches of time.
There aren't any survival mechanics like hunger or thirst, it's basically just deathmatch.

Sounds good for the flow of the match, but I'd imagine the survival aspects end up being very superficial in such short stretches of time.

Nah, survival aspects are literally:
1. Do I have health? If not, heal up
2. Ammo count
3. Space (you pick up backpacks to increase your space)

That's it. Also you can boost your energy with painkillers/energy drinks to get health regen and a speed boost.

Darknight

Is this meant to be played in a squad or 1vs everyone?

Kinda want to jump in and play with GAFers. I do not tend to buy PC games at full price though :(

FHIZ

Is this meant to be played in a squad or 1vs everyone?

Kinda want to jump in and play with GAFers. I do not tend to buy PC games at full price though :(

Solo, duos and squad are just as viable. That said, solo play may be quicker experiences as once you're down, you're dead, where as duos and squad at least allow you to be resurrected by your team mates.

Also, it's only $30.

jeffc919

I made a Steam account before but PUBG is the first game that actually makes me use that account.

Same. I didn't have a PC capable of playing any current games in forever. The last time I played a lot of PC games I was playing mostly Quake II and we know how long ago that was. But I built a PC to play PUBG and I'm glad I did because it's pretty much all I play now while my PS4 Pro sits by the TV collecting dust.

I think this is a unique game that is compelling enough to get new players into PC gaming, or old players back into it in my case.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
People call out PUBG because it's the Goat Simulator of shooters - janky, poor production values yet it's a massive memish phenomenon. I'm fine with people enjoying it (for whatever reason), tho not everyone is going to be enamoured with what's being served up.

Then i hope it doesnt come out on the PS4 at all. Make it a PC exclusive since its janky

Lemondish

RIP single player story games. Welcome to the new wave of Battle Royale titles with microtransactions we'll see flood the market in the next two years. What a time to be alive.

PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds OT | The Goat Simulator of shooters

This is approaching my favourite GAF level upset gamerz:

GTA V PC |OT| Benny Hill Sped Up Fake Gamey Edition

giphy.gif

RIP single player story games. Welcome to the new wave of Battle Royale titles with microtransactions we'll see flood the market in the next two years. What a time to be alive.

I mean, we already have plenty of sp games with micros. Frankly, if this gets more survival games to Ps4, then god bless Mr. Unknown.

GHG

Cause its coming to Xbox first and not PS4. If it was a timed Sony exclusive it'd be the greatest game to grace us in a decade.

It's quite the achievement when you try to make something about console wars when it quite clearly isn't.

I'm impressed.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
this used to be an iOS/Android game in like, 2014.
What makes it noteworthy is the really strange fact that they advertised it on their official channel. Like they had to have known how bad it looked. Mostly i'm poking fun at the idea that PS4 doesn't have any janky games. Every platform has janky games.

JoeMartin

The incredible thing is its success in spite of its glaring flaws.

Shit tick rate, shit desync issues, jank as fuck front end, and a generally consistent, rough-around-the-edges quality, and it's still one of the most thoroughly enjoyable experiences in gaming that I've ever had, especially so now that FPP is available.

Anyone writing this off as a meme or a short lived fad I think don't really appreciate the substance of the game, and that the substance is, in spite of its flaws, still allowing monumental success in the multiplayer community, and that it really has nowhere to go but up from here.

Haunted

Personally, when I first heard about it I thought it was exactly that -- the next in the line of "streaming success stories" that Haunted outlined.

But its success since then has had it enter "phenomenon" territory. I agree that referring to it as "flavor of the month" at this point seems silly looking at the charts.

It's a joke about integer overflow (I assume).
"I do not approve of this game being successful"

Well, yes, that's what it means, at least to me.
And for the games Haunted mentioned (DayZ -> Rust -> Ark -> H1Z1), that was what I observed, at least in my direct surroundings. People who watch streamers would suddenly get one of those, talk about it all the time, and then drop it unceremoniously one or two months later.
PUBG seemed to follow that pattern in the beginning, but by now it is clear that it doesn't.
Looking at the charts you posted, I must admit you're right.

I'm not as attuned to what people are playing/streaming on Twitch these days so I missed just how much bigger this has gotten compared to these past successes, bigger than a linear progression of growth would suggest. The numbers don't lie! Thanks for the correction. :)

I guess there's just this imminent feeling of danger, of a game like this being abandoned for the next big thing coming along which makes it hard to commit to a statement saying "ok, THIS one is it" which led to me being more skeptical in my initial statement.

Vipu

Banned

Shit tick rate, shit desync issues, jank as fuck front end, and a generally consistent, rough-around-the-edges quality, and it's still one of the most thoroughly enjoyable experiences in gaming that I've ever had, especially so now that FPP is available.

Anyone writing this off as a meme or a short lived fad I think don't really appreciate the substance of the game, and that the substance is, in spite of its flaws, still allowing monumental success in the multiplayer community, and that it really has nowhere to go but up from here.

Wonder how good it is if they fix those things 1 by 1, even if its slow fixing.
Goty 2017-2020 and gaf can do nothing about that.

unrealist

Despacito is the top YouTube video.. that doesn't make it a great song. Same with PUBG too. It is popular cos Streamers love it and often show the salt and rage. Audience love salt and buy something trendy. PUBG is the epitome of how social media can hype a game. Not to mention it is still early access and don't argue it is the first of its kind. I have the game too FYI.

Despacito is the top YouTube video.. that doesn't make it a great song. Same with PUBG too. It is popular cos Streamers love it and often show the salt and rage. Audience love salt and buy something trendy. PUBG is the epitome of how social media can hype a game. Not to mention it is still early access and don't argue it is the first of its kind. I have the game too FYI.

Just wondering though how you played around 50 hours and still say "its just trendy".

lmao. it couldn't possibly be because it's.... good............

Vipu

Banned
I just kinda realized how much pubg have been played when you check the "hours played" http://steamcharts.com/

Dota2 have been kinda popular since its start, its been out for over 5 years.
PUBG have been out 7 months and its already 3/4 of dotas "hours played".

Dont forget that Dota got many of those "idle in client to get box" events during tournaments etc too.
Its just crazy.

I had almost 5000h in dota2
I already have 500h in pubg

Sentenza

I never watched more than 10 minutes of streamers playing the game, and that was AFTER I purchased it.
I also enjoy playing the the game a lot, especially when one or more friends are available.

In particular it's up there as the most fun I ever had playing a shooter in a team of two (I'd still go with Battlefield for bigger squads).
So in short I think you are full of it.

JDB

Banned
I just kinda realized how much pubg have been played when you check the "hours played" http://steamcharts.com/

Dota2 have been kinda popular since its start, its been out for over 5 years.
PUBG have been out 7 months and its already 3/4 of dotas "hours played".

Dont forget that Dota got many of those "idle in client to get box" events during tournaments etc too.
Its just crazy.

I had almost 5000h in dota2
I already have 500h in pubg
I think that's hours played in the past 30 days.
Makes sense though because PUBG is probably suited to shorter play sessions as well as long ones moreso than Dota 2.

Kei-

Of course that makes it a great song. Music is even more subjective than games, a ton of people enjoy it and it's hugely successful, the exact reasons it was made for. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's not good or great.

This is coming from someone who has around 25 hours logged on PUBG and I'm not that hot on it, I think it's full of all the jank that everyone has mentioned, my ideal battleground game would play like Battlefield 4, I mean the maps are big enough already for it and the shooting, movement, parachuting, melee all that are better.

The Lamp

This thread finally made me look into the game because the name is so stupid (Playerunknown? Wtf) I resisted caring about it until now.

I'm still kind of surprised it's that popular this quickly.

JDB

Banned
This is coming from someone who has around 25 hours logged on PUBG and I'm not that hot on it, I think it's full of all the jank that everyone has mentioned, my ideal battleground game would play like Battlefield 4, I mean the maps are big enough already for it and the shooting, movement, parachuting, melee all that are better.
I think it's hard to say whether Battlefield's gameplay would translate well into a permadeath gamemode. I think the slower (jankier?) gameplay fits PUBG much better. Having people change directions on a dime or warp over cover when vaulting like in Battlefield wouldn't be very pleasant in a Battle Royale game mode I think. Same can be said about the magnetic melee system.

PrimeBeef

Provided the jank gets fixed. It is not out of the realm of possibility for this to be like ARK and be released with most of the current issues. The love for ARK fell greatly once it went live and not much was fixed.

Now, this is a different game with better reception, I do not expect this to happen. It is possible though.

Top Bottom