• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Analyst: Switch US retail SW on pace to be biggest Nintendo launch year on record

This has been my experience in real life and what I read here on Gaf from time to time concerning the Switch. I wonder what they'll say when the Switch gets the 3rd party on the same day and date as the other consoles.

It's happening today/tomorrow with FIFA. And I believe NBA2k18/WWE2k18 are both day and date, though not with the physical versions.

Wait, I'm confused? Switch is on track to match or outsell PS4/Xbox One US retail software sales in 2017? How is that possible?

This is just comparing Nintendo platform software (in a console/handheld launch year) to other Nintendo platform software in those same periods. And by Nintendo platform software I mean software sold on Nintendo consoles/handhelds, not just first party software.

I should buy a switch
vT2xLk6.jpg

Salvadora

This isn't particularly surprising, and perhaps even expected, given the caliber of software released so far.

No Nintendo platforms have had this amount of 1st party heavy hitters in such short period of time iirc.

Still though, a good sign.

WestEgg

Wait, I'm confused? Switch is on track to match or outsell PS4/Xbox One US retail software sales in 2017? How is that possible?

I wouldn't be surprised, honestly. The PS4 and Xbox One didn't exactly have great line ups at launch, mostly cross gen ports and... Knack.

I wouldn't be surprised, honestly. The PS4 and Xbox One didn't exactly have great line ups at launch, mostly cross gen ports and... Knack.

Oh, I see! Launch aligned! I thought he was talking about 2017 PS4/Xbox One games versus 2017 Switch games which seemed unfathomable to me.

I get it now, thanks for the clarification everyone!

MoonFrog

I only have 1 Switch retail game (Zelda). I have a couple of eShop games.

I'm planning to get a couple retail Switch games in the coming months, though, including Mario and Xenoblade. Maybe Doom.

Also might go back and get Mario+Rabbids and/or Mario Kart.

But still, this result is surprising to me is my point. Good for Switch though.

I don’t think you can compare Wii + DS numbers, both were products of a very different time in gaming. Gen 7 had like what, 80mil (PS3)l + 80mil (360) + 100mil (Wii) + 150mil (DS) + 80mil (PSP) consoles sold? A total of 490 million units? Whereas we’ll be at roughly 70mil (PS4) + 70mil (3DS) + 35mil (XBO) + 13mil (Wii U) + 13mil (Vita) + 10 mil (Switch) = 211 million by the end of the year, less than half in 2/3 of the time. Concern trolling for Nintendo over their loss of the handheld market is like concern trolling over Sony’s as well, as I really doubt the PS4 + Vita will surpass PS3 + PSP or even the PS2 alone. Should Sony just give up because of that? No, the market is very different. Handhelds sold 230 million last gen compared to 73 million this gen.

Expecting combined hardware sales to be on par with the PS2, Wii, or eras where portables mattered is unrealistic, and even lifetime sales of 85 million for Switch would be amazing for Nintendo as it’d be their second best selling home console ever and would cement them in a stable second place in the market when a year ago people were questioning whether or not they were relevant enough to continue being a hardware munfacturer and were calling for them to go third party.

Koh

Cant wait when the Switch reach 100 Million, to read a lot of "Not surprised" and "Expected" here. Never change GAF... lol

You won't see that from me. I have no faith in 100 million. If it hits that number, I'll be shocked and eat crow.

_PsiFire_

I really don't get the point of this comparison when most of the other launches happened in the fall.

So when other console launches in the fall does that mean they have shit SW sales in the following year?

The Switch also came out in March - there's 2 months with NO SW sales.

It's still quite impressive.

Koobion

I swear some people want Nintendo to fail. It's pretty pathetic.

This is fantastic news, especially now that the analyst has said it's time adjusted accordingly. Also consider that the consoles people were mentioning launching near the end of the year had holiday sales at their side, which Switch has yet to experience. Very happy for Nintendo :)

Bladelaw

Of course, Switch users are starving for games.

Are we? I'm seeing this a lot in this thread and that's not the feeling I'm getting. I have more games on my Switch than my Xbox One. If you leave off Rock Band on XBO I've spent more time on my switch than the XBO I picked up at launch.

Maybe I just don't have enough free time? I need to check my play log for the Switch to see the game break down but off the top of my head I've put in a shitload of hours into:
Zelda
Puyo Puyo Tetris
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Sonic Mania
Disgaea 5 Complete
Snipperclips

And there's a bunch of games I still want to get already out, then Mario comes out, and I just don't have the time to play all these games.

Yawnny

There's that many good games? Everyone is saying lines like "not surprised, given the software lineup".

Isn't there just Zelda... then Mario which is out in October?

Toxi

Banned
There's that many good games? Everyone is saying lines like "not surprised, given the software lineup".

Splatoon 2
Mario Kart 8
Mario+Rabbids
Arms
Pokken
Fire Emblem Warriors

I don't own a Switch and some of those titles don't personally interest me, but that list seems impressive to me.

MisterHero

There is no significant dedicated handheld market. Hasn't been one for some time. Mobile will more than make up for any gap.

But hey, I appreciate and encourage skepticism.
Nintendo is continues supporting 3DS but even Switch fans are confused by it. That's fine by me, I own 2 3DSes.

Hint: it's extra money from an established user base

Seik

Banned

Peeps say this as a meme now because haters often use this line as way to downplay successful titles.

I mean, I'm now at 18 physical games on Switch in a 7 months timeframe, this is ridiculous.

Maxinas

By your logic there is only D̶a̶r̶k̶ ̶S̶o̶u̶l̶s̶ ̶3̶ and Bloodborne on the PS4 for me, since those are my favorite type of games.

Edit: I forgot i played DS3 on my PC. So only 1 game, why even buy a PS4 /s

Scuffed

Well deserved. This has been my favorite and most played Nintendo console since n64. If the potential is met and once we get Fire Emblem, Stardew, Animal Crossing and Pokemon it will probably tie the Nes for best ever.

Nintendo is continues supporting 3DS but even Switch fans are confused by it. That's fine by me, I own 2 3DSes.

Hint: it's extra money from an established user base

Nintendo has not developed a game for the 3DS since Miitopia, which was released nearly a year ago. All of their internal teams, presumably including Retro, are all-in on the Switch right now.

Seik

Banned
I am curious.

mind telling us what games you own? maybe in order from (IYO) best to worst :)

I'll give it a shot!

-Zelda BOTW
-Splatoon 2
-Mario + Rabbids
-Cave Story +
-ARMS
-Mario Kart 8 DX
-Pokken Tournament DX
-Disgaea 5 Complete
-I Am Setsuna (import)
-Dragon Ball XV2
-Super Bomberman R
-Puyo Puyo Tetris
-Lego City Undercover
-Rayman Legends
-Binding of Isaac
-Ultra Street Fighter 2
-Has Been Heroes
-Spelunker (import)

Peeps say this as a meme now because haters often use this line as way to downplay successful titles.

I mean, I'm now at 18 physical games on Switch in a 7 months timeframe, this is ridiculous.

Yep. I'm at (around) 16, 17 once Sine Mora EX shows up. Probably around 30-35 digital games too.

for the big titles it's Zelda, Splatoon and MK8 those are huge sellers.
Rabbids is doing very well and then you have the solid B-tier sellers like ARMS, Pokken and a bunch of games that surprised with strong sales like USF2 and Bomberman.

sprinkle in some ports and indies and you got a more than decent lineup for the first 7(!) month.

Odyssey will probably have the strongest sales so far in October and qualitywise Xenoblade should deliver in December.

My sarcasm detector is all over the place in threads like this. I genuinely can't tell if some people are taking the piss or being serious. Switch has gotten off to a stronger start than pretty much anyone predicted and seems to have mindshare outside of the usual early adopters, which is going to stand it in good stead.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Hopefully this means even more third-party support in the future. I'd love a future where a new GTA or Assassin's Creed launch on all three consoles on the same day with no features removed or anything.

Chastten

Banned
This is the first time they release most of their heavy hitters and then some in year one, so I'm not surprised.

Just hope they can keep the games coming in year two as thats when I'm planning on buying mine.

boiled goose

good with gravy
To me it's been obvious since day 1 that the Switch userbase is different from the wiiu and wii and 3ds userbases. Of course there's overlap but there is clearly more: non Nintendo exclusive gamers, more mainstream core gamers, plus the hardcore Nintendo console and handheld userbase.

This translates into an enthusiastic and software hungry demographic.

To me this is driven in part by three things. First Botw being the system seller. People didn't buy switch for wii sports. They bought it for a hardcore open world game. Two it's hardware is not a barrier to entry. Both wii and wiiu had hardware that turned off some gamers. Three it's the most powerful handheld system. This is something Nintendo hasn't had in several generations.

Finally, the hybrid nature drives software sales for multiplat games. I was surprised how many people are choosing switch version over other systems for many multiplat games. The reason? Good enough for home play plus portable play. It's like 2 games in one, making it the definitive version.

I don’t think you can compare Wii + DS numbers, both were products of a very different time in gaming. Gen 7 had like what, 80mil (PS3)l + 80mil (360) + 100mil (Wii) + 150mil (DS) + 80mil (PSP) consoles sold? A total of 490 million units? Whereas we’ll be at roughly 70mil (PS4) + 70mil (3DS) + 35mil (XBO) + 13mil (Wii U) + 13mil (Vita) + 10 mil (Switch) = 211 million by the end of the year, less than half in 2/3 of the time. Concern trolling for Nintendo over their loss of the handheld market is like concern trolling over Sony’s as well, as I really doubt the PS4 + Vita will surpass PS3 + PSP or even the PS2 alone. Should Sony just give up because of that? No, the market is very different. Handhelds sold 230 million last gen compared to 73 million this gen.

Expecting combined hardware sales to be on par with the PS2, Wii, or eras where portables mattered is unrealistic, and even lifetime sales of 85 million for Switch would be amazing for Nintendo as it’d be their second best selling home console ever and would cement them in a stable second place in the market when a year ago people were questioning whether or not they were relevant enough to continue being a hardware munfacturer and were calling for them to go third party.

Great post. A lot of people tend to move the goal posts instead of just acknowledge the success the Switch is having. It's like people forgot how dire things were in the Wii U days when they had actually negative shipments to Europe for a quarter and the worst third party support the company had ever seen. Nintendo will never top the DS, Sony will never top the PS2, and all companies won't top generation 7 total sales, but they sure shouldn't give up and can still have a lot of success. Basically, now Microsoft is the most vulnerable, switching places with Nintendo. The Xbox can do great numbers in the US, but it's not thriving overseas. Hopefully, they can turn things around the Xbox X, but we'll have to see.

Zedark

To me it's been obvious since day 1 that the Switch userbase is different from the wiiu and wii and 3ds userbases. Of course there's overlap but there is clearly more: non Nintendo exclusive gamers, more mainstream core gamers, plus the hardcore Nintendo console and handheld userbase.

To me this is driven in part by three things. First Botw being the system seller. People didn't buy switch for wii sports. They bought it for a hardcore open world game. Two it's hardware is not a barrier to entry. Both wii and wiiu had hardware that turned off some gamers. Three it's the most powerful handheld system. This is something Nintendo hasn't had in several generations.

Finally, the hybrid nature drives software sales for multiplat games. I was surprised how many people are choosing switch version over other systems for many multiplat games. The reason? Good enough for home play plus portable play. It's like 2 games in one, making it the definitive version.
True. This is pretty significant: it's not just having success, but it's having success with the core gaming audience as well. As a result, I think AAA third party games will see success this fall, which could very well trigger a general shift towards the system for more publishers. Good stuff!

Yeah, it's important for third party software to sell well. Nintendo is always going to be at a disadvantage to Microsoft and Sony for third parties, and they need the system to sell well, and the software to sell well if they want support to continue and grow. The Wii U sold poorly and so did third party ports. The Switch is the opposite of the Wii U, and that's why we have games like Doom and Skyrim coming. Hopefully FIFA sells very well, because EA seems to be one of the most skeptical major publishers, just like they were with the Wii U (and rightfully so in hindsight).

sneas78

Banned
Hang in there little buddy your doing good. Good stuff love this.. i don’t get the hate to fail.. that’s ubsurbed.
PS4 will do fine. Even if Switch becomes 100 million.

This is probably the reason why Bethesda and other western third parties are taking a second look at it and are announcing titles without any tests.

If the switch is breaking the sw record that goes back two decades that means that even if Nintendo are getting the lion's share the sales, then that means that there is enough for others. Especially in genres that the nintendo doesn't cover.

Drek

I don't find this particularly surprising. The Switch is the best hardware concept and actual product Nintendo has made since the Nintendo DS (I'd say superior to that as well) at a competitive MSRP, and then it launched with the first mainline Zelda with in years, the best Mario Kart that most missed due to it being on Wii U, and Nintendo's best new IP that was also overlooked due to being on the Wii U.

To top it off the system has a new mainline Mario due out before the end of it's first year.

All that said, lets not act like this is some sort of sign that all retail software is moving truckloads on the system or something. Shortly after launch the tie ratio for Breath of the Wild was higher than total numbers of Switch systems sold. Mario Kart and Splatoon likely also have tie ratios that are massive outliers. It gets easy to set software sales records when you have what many of your core audience would see as three "must buy" titles in the system's first six months. But chances are this is another example of Nintendo eating everyone's lunch.

Except I suspect that is less a thing than previous Nintendo consoles, more balanced like the handhelds, and with a healthy market emerging for digital distro/"indie" titles that can live within the gaps in Nintendo's first party calendar just fine.

I think it's a great business model. But then, I'd of course think that since I've been saying Nintendo needed to go to a hybrid system prior to the Wii U. It was always a matter of when hardware caught up to the model in an acceptable way.

FIFA18 I believe.
FYI, EA is required to release on all major platforms if I recall as part of their agreement with FIFA. It isn't a "get", it's an obligation.

The Switch will do fine but it's going to be second this generation and will be lucky to beat the Wii's numbers all while Nintendo sacrificed their dedicated handheld market to achieve it. Wii+DS>Switch, WiiU+3DS~Switch.

1. Dedicated handhelds are a dying market anyhow. The Vita was a superior product to the PSP yet the later sold comparably to the 3DS while the later didn't break 15M. Meanwhile the PSP did that in a market where the DS was a PS2/Gameboy level market leader.

Smartphones took all the air out of the room. Nintendo outlasted Sony because of their strong handheld IPs, better understanding of what sells on handhelds, and the major Japanese 3rd parties seeing the writing on the wall early, leading to consolidation behind the 3DS.

2. Nintendo had to take hardware losses on both the 3DS and Wii U at various points. Do you really think they care about zero to negative profit generating hardware units sold? The goal of the Switch isn't to match Wii + DS hardware sales. It's to consolidate the user base. That should result in less R&D and hardware manufacturing costs while increasing the tie ratio above what a dedicated home console or handheld could achieve.

This analyst comment in the OP, while heavily flawed, speaks to that actually happening.

Top Bottom