• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Analyst: Switch US retail SW on pace to be biggest Nintendo launch year on record

Drek

in your personal opinion, do you think the 3DS has a solid-to-decent Q4 2018 in it??

To interject - I'd say it does, but not much longer than that and I don't think that will come from new product. The 3DS at this point is in the mass market window where Nintendo has historically been great at turning profitability. Hardware revisions and MSRP reductions keep new people on the fringes of the market coming in, then the software library is broad enough and priced right to compel those new customers relatively quickly catching up to somewhere close to life of system tie ratios (probably 3-6 software units per new device sold).

The biggest argument for the 3DS in 2018 is that I think the Switch will still be supply constrained enough to prevent any kind of MSRP drop. That's the 3DS' competition, a Switch priced low enough (<$200 MSRP) to make it the default choice for kids. The Switch is likely only one price cut away, but until it lands the 3DS will fade but not fall off the radar.

I don't think you can compare Wii + DS numbers, both were products of a very different time in gaming. Gen 7 had like what, 80mil (PS3)l + 80mil (360) + 100mil (Wii) + 150mil (DS) + 80mil (PSP) consoles sold? A total of 490 million units? Whereas we'll be at roughly 70mil (PS4) + 70mil (3DS) + 35mil (XBO) + 13mil (Wii U) + 13mil (Vita) + 10 mil (Switch) = 211 million by the end of the year, less than half in 2/3 of the time. Concern trolling for Nintendo over their loss of the handheld market is like concern trolling over Sony's as well, as I really doubt the PS4 + Vita will surpass PS3 + PSP or even the PS2 alone. Should Sony just give up because of that? No, the market is very different. Handhelds sold 230 million last gen compared to 73 million this gen.

Expecting combined hardware sales to be on par with the PS2, Wii, or eras where portables mattered is unrealistic, and even lifetime sales of 85 million for Switch would be amazing for Nintendo as it'd be their second best selling home console ever and would cement them in a stable second place in the market when a year ago people were questioning whether or not they were relevant enough to continue being a hardware munfacturer and were calling for them to go third party.

Generally people are too fixated on unit sales. In terms of unit sales Sony will not top PS2 or even PS3 gens (when you include portable hardware). In terms of revenue generated and profit made Sony will top both of those gens. Gaming division already had record revenue and profit last FY and are forecasting both to go up this FY. PS4 alone is generating more revenue and profit for Sony than PS2 or PS3/PSP even if unit sales are down (especially compared to PS3+PSP). Nintendo of course has so high bar (especially in terms of profit) that they most likely wont top DS/Wii gen in either category this gen. Well maybe if their mobile efforts succeed in big way in addition to Switch.

Wamb0wneD

This is probably the reason why Bethesda and other western third parties are taking a second look at it and are announcing titles without any tests.

If the switch is breaking the sw record that goes back two decades that means that even if Nintendo are getting the lion's share the sales, then that means that there is enough for others. Especially in genres that the nintendo doesn't cover.

Yeah I think it's not surprisng that Bethesda is doing two FPS games for the Switch.

Hype is going to die off you heard it here first :) Good luck to them though...
Also Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Mario, Zelda, Splatoon... Lol

tenor.gif

Toxi

Banned
100 million lifetime sales is a lot.

But it's also completely doable for a successful console with a lot of hype. We already have one console this generation that's projected to likely reach 100 million. Last generation, we had the Wii clear 100 million and the PS3 and Xbox 360 both were only around 20 million away.

It only gets really iffy when you start making predictions for a crazy phenomenon level success like the DS or PS2.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Absolutely no excuses for third parties to ignore or make excuses to not support the system imo.

The Switch is an incredible system.

asagami_

Banned
Also Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Mario, Zelda, Splatoon... Lol

tenor.gif

Yeah, the fact the Switch is selling as good (or maybe better) than the 3DS before than the price drop of the latter and without Pokémon and Animal Crossing is telling us than, at least, it willl sell very well. It will be difficult, but I can see to the Switch hit the 80-100 millions in 4-5 years.

Yeah, the fact the Switch is selling as good (or maybe better) than the 3DS before than the price drop of the latter and without Pokémon and Animal Crossing is telling us than, at least, it willl sell very well. It will be difficult, but I can see to the Switch hit the 80-100 millions in 4-5 years.

Well the price drop of the 3DS happened already (launch aligned) and it's very possible that the Switch is still outselling it worldwide. It's only about 120k back in Japan too.

Very excited to hear Nintendo's official numbers next month.

Branduil

Considering their first-year lineup, that's not surprising. By the end of the year they'll have released new titles in both of their classic flagship single-player franchises, as well as Mario Kart and their newest huge franchise in Splatoon. Those 4 alone would account for a huge volume of the sales.

Nilaul

I can only imagine the faces of some third partys CEOs (That not jumped on board) reading the NPD report every month.

I don't expect third parties with massive games to jump on until they can get cheaper cards, cheap 32 gb card and perhaps cheaper 64gb cards.

Metroid games aren't typically big sellers. Hardcore fan base, but a relatively small one. Not close to Pokemon, Zelda, Mario, or animal crossing levels. It's more akin to Pikmin

I wouldn't use historical data to predict if it will sell well. In this age of Internet, the casuals / people not generally following Nintendo can easily notice the buzz generated by the announcement of Metroid Prime 4. I definitely think that many people are intrigued to find out more, hardcore fans or not.

This wouldn't be so annoying if people who made these kinds of claims were capable of introspection when they turn out to be wrong but I've never, ever seen that happen.

At best, we'll get a half hearted "I was wrong, so what."

AzaK

You really don't know real starvation unless you were a Wii U owner.
That’s why Switch is doing well. We were so starving for something good on Nintendo platforms.

I won’t be feeling totally satisfied though until I see RDR2 or something big like that on it.

I wouldn't use historical data to predict if it will sell well. In this age of Internet, the casuals / people not generally following Nintendo can easily notice the buzz generated by the announcement of Metroid Prime 4. I definitely think that many people are intrigued to find out more, hardcore fans or not.
This. I think that Metroid Prime 4 is going to be a hit. Not a MK or Smash level, but something like Splatoon, especially in Europe and America market.

If nintendo keeps up with the strategy of releasing a major first party every month or so with indies peppered throughout and more 3rd parties start releasing games, I can't possibly see how the Switch doesn't sell over 50 million.

I'm very happy to see Nintendo being successful again im any case.

KooopaKid

Banned
Switch is a money-sink for me. Nintendo's best stuff, timeless classics such as BotW and Mario Odyssey, plus totally unique games on the market like Arms + Splatoon 2, plus the best platform for indies = probably the best console on Earth quite soon.
Vita + Wii + Wii U + DS + 3DS + Indie PC = Switch in a nutshell.

I feel like people who make posts like this are the same ones that were caught with their pants down after saying that the system would completely bomb and are still upset about being wrong. I mean, I wouldn't really blame anyone for being pessimistic after the conference, but we're far beyond this now.

Like, they don't even give any actual reasons 99% of the time. Like that one guy who keeps doubling down even after getting called out for their wildly incorrect prediction after the Switch conference. Even got mad when the latest NPD thread didn't mention North America in the title because the Switch was the best-selling system last month.

Square2015

1995 is when tracking began, and SW stands for Software.

Calendar year.

NPD was tracking video games in the 80s. There are news reports that mention NPD sales data back in 1988 (NES data).

Video games were tracked as toys before '95 I believe (TRST?). How can we get ahold of those original toy sales reports?

NPD was tracking video games in the 80s. There are news reports that mention NPD sales data back in 1988 (NES data).

Video games were tracked as toys before '95 I believe (TRST?). How can we get ahold of those original toy sales reports?

This is a good question. I'll be at the home office in a couple weeks. I'll ask and see what I can find out.

Wamb0wneD

Metroid games aren't typically big sellers. Hardcore fan base, but a relatively small one. Not close to Pokemon, Zelda, Mario, or animal crossing levels. It's more akin to Pikmin

If the game is a looker and the marketing is up to the task (They did an ok job with Samus Returns) then it might get enough hype. Over the years the prime series has cemented it's status as a phenomenal game series, all the videos on youtube going nuts over the announcement aren't something that a game without any hype gets.

Way too early to know if Switch hits a 100m or not. Those sort of sales take years and years of consistently great sales. The PS4 still isn't even there yet (but it 100% will)

But 50m+ seems all but guaranteed at this point. To not hit those numbers demand would have to just evaporate after the first 2 years

I feel like people who make posts like this are the same ones that were caught with their pants down after saying that the system would completely bomb and are still upset about being wrong. I mean, I wouldn't really blame anyone for being pessimistic after the conference, but we're far beyond this now.

Like, they don't even give any actual reasons 99% of the time. Like that one guy who keeps doubling down even after getting called out for their wildly incorrect prediction after the Switch conference. Even got mad when the latest NPD thread didn't mention North America in the title because the Switch was the best-selling system last month.

Just a hunch man, the Switch looks good but unless you’re a Nintendo enthusiast I still don’t see that much reason to own one. Maybe I underestimate the size of Nintendo’s fan base? But I’m fully confident that the Switch will not sell 100m, even the PS4 probably won’t hit that nevermind the Switch. I’m not sure any console will ever do those numbers again tbh.

Just a hunch man, the Switch looks good but unless you’re a Nintendo enthusiast I still don’t see that much reason to own one. Maybe I underestimate the size of Nintendo’s fan base? But I’m fully confident that the Switch will not sell 100m, even the PS4 probably won’t hit that nevermind the Switch. I’m not sure any console will ever do those numbers again tbh.

PS4 is 100% locked in to hit 100 million. It will hit that number in Q3 / Q4 2019 imo

Maxinas

Sorry, but now i can't take you seriously anymore after reading that. Nintendo Switch hitting 100m is a possibility if, and only if Nintendo doesn't butcher its support half way through its lifetime like with the Wii (which tbh, could have done a lot higher).

Hero

Sorry, but now i can't take you seriously anymore after reading that. Nintendo Switch hitting 100m is a possibility if, and only if Nintendo doesn't butcher its support half way through its lifetime like with the Wii (which tbh, could have done a lot higher).

Wii > Wii U transition was due to them finally beginning to develop HD games.

The Wii U was killed early so Switch could be successful. No reason for them to not support a system that is a massive success before its first holiday.

Top Bottom