• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2015 [Nintendo Numbers, Majora's, MH4, ~XB1]

You missed the sarcastic tag. Splatoon is going to bomb

I guess you missed the retail insight above stating pre order numbers to be lower than the order

I don't think that Bloodborne fans are the type that are running into gamestop to pre-order.

I did a pre order because of their insane PS2 deal right now but only for that reason. Pre-Orders are on the way out. nobody pre orders anything anymore unless they're 12 years old or something.

impact

Banned
The remaster of the game pretty much polishes all the painful N64 rough edges and limitations and allows the core game to shine.

As time goes on and gaming matures, we're probably going to see more and more of this; extremely well-made games don't age, outside of technical details that can be upgraded. In the same way that a classic film receives an HD scan for blu-ray and sells fine to a new generation.

One could also view it as proof of the value behind Nintendo's philosophy of making evergreen games. 15 years ago they invested in that title. And it's still paying off today.
Does it have the same ghosting issue that OoT 3D did?

Man, I only read the first 10 pages so far, but the amount of people trying to discredit the n3DS and it being grouped in with the "3DS family" just so their fave console can be the #1 this month.
emo.gif

Happy about MM and n3DS, even if I am frustrated/confused when it comes to Nintendo these days.

StevieP

Banned
SEE!? SEE WHAT I SAD!?

DIDN'T I TELL YOU!?

All those 'ughuahah PS4 and XB1 and Nintendo HW sales down in January from last year, DEDICATED HARDWARE IS DEADEDED" annoying freaking out posts have to eat their words now!

Every single month its like this and every single time Neogaf splits itself into schizophrenics

The ps4 is doing well, but it's not doing gangbusters like previous generation leaders. Same with the handhelds. Doesn't mean that everything is dying but that doesn't mean there may not be some kind of market contraction happening across the board

Jomjom

Banned
Somewhat. But in all honesty there is a large section of the Playstation 4 userbase hungry for a big quality exclusive game.

Bloodborne may end up surprising.

I think it's fair to say every userbase is hungry for a big quality exclusive game except maybe for Wii U fans. Big quality exclusive games are pretty much all the Wii U has.

300k would be a great opening for Bloodborne. I doubt it will do that much though. I see it doing 200-250k.
This is reasonable expectation.

The Souls brand games, and I include Bloodborne within them, have a relatively dedicated following. There was minimal drop-off between the two Dark games. But Bloodborne has to contend with its potential audience limited to one newer platform.

-----

Also, @Danlord, I fail at technology and didn't realise upside down text was a thing, but thanks.

RM8

Dénouement;155737054 said:
Man, I only read the first 10 pages so far, but the amount of people trying to discredit the n3DS and it being grouped in with the "3DS family" just so their fave console can be the #1 this month.
emo.gif

Happy about MM and n3DS, even if I am frustrated/confused when it comes to Nintendo these days.
PS4 was the number one system*

*That comes in one size.

Fanboy? No dude it isn't "fanboy" to point out that a n3ds is still a, wait for it, 3ds.

Except whatever other SKU hasn't been discontinued and probably heavily discounted.

Why don't they put out those numbers then? Where's the transparency?
There's a huge difference if a clearance of older 3DS models is 80% of that 395k number than if the New 3DS XL is 80% of 395k.

It's PR bullshit to make their numbers look high. End of story.

Bloodborne is going to do gangbusters. 500k in its first month is conservative.

BB will probably sell more than any Souls game did on a single platform (possibly more than the cross-platform sales DS1 or DS2,) but it's still one of those games like Sunset Overdrive or Bayonetta 2 that critics and core gamers adore but "casual" console gamers are barely even aware of.

Welfare

Except whatever other SKU hasn't been discontinued and probably heavily discounted.

There's a huge difference if a clearance of older 3DS models is 80% of that 395k number than if the New 3DS XL is 80% of 395k.

It's PR bullshit to state what all of the 3DS models combined sold?

Hey guys PS2 and DS never hit 150 million units. Different "models" prevent it.

The remaster of the game pretty much polishes all the painful N64 rough edges and limitations and allows the core game to shine.

As time goes on and gaming matures, we're probably going to see more and more of this; extremely well-made games don't age, outside of technical details that can be upgraded. In the same way that a classic film receives an HD scan for blu-ray and sells fine to a new generation.

One could also view it as proof of the value behind Nintendo's philosophy of making evergreen games. 15 years ago they invested in that title. And it's still paying off today.

you play majora & realize that hardly anyone makes games like this any more: adventures where you spend as much time thinking as fighting :) ...

The Souls brand games, and I include Bloodborne within them, have a relatively dedicated following. There was minimal drop-off between the two Dark games. But Bloodborne has to contend with its potential audience limited to one newer platform.

I personally believe it will off set the loss of being on one console, by being in a not very competitive market place right now. I mean we have Battlefield in March, but the userbase buying Bloodborne in general is not the same as those picking up Hardline.

Anyone looking for anything resembling an RPG right now has slim pickings to choose from. But yeah 300k is a realistic guess for sure.

Edit: Though there is FF Type-0. Almost forgot about that one

Kyou

Yeah and jet fuel doesn't melt PS4s at those temperatures. Wake up sheeple!

StevieP

Banned
I don't think that Bloodborne fans are the type that are running into gamestop to pre-order.

I did a pre order because of their insane PS2 deal right now but only for that reason. Pre-Orders are on the way out. nobody pre orders anything anymore unless they're 12 years old or something.

I pre order all of my console games, and even some pc games. I'm far older than 12. What does that tell you? Nothing. Pre order gauges are valuable and everyone including the publishers are doing all kinds of analysis on them when they budget their campaigns.

There's a huge difference if a clearance of older 3DS models is 80% of that number than if the New 3DS XL is 80%.

Remember Black Friday when all of those consoles were sold for cheaper and had bundles to clear them out? We should definitely not count those sales because of... Because. How did vita do, btw?

pixelation

Dude, i get it... we think similarily on the matter, but just forget it. Don't risk getting banned over it.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
The ps4 is doing well, but it's not doing gangbusters like previous generation leaders. Same with the handhelds. Doesn't mean that everything is dying but that doesn't mean there may not be some kind of market contraction happening across the board

Well, i think that's obvious just by nature of the changing landscape. PC's are becoming stronger for mainstream gaming, other elements of gaming are becoming more prevalnet like phones.

My issue is when people say consoles and handhelds can't carve out a niche for themselves going forward and instead are just going to go the way of the do do because people will just stop wanting dedicated HW. Sure they may not be in as strong a position as they were at one time, but that just means the competition has just gotten stronger and they have to work much harder to keep fans invested

Kathian

Banned

Your just complaining you don't have a breakdown of sales. Either way its a good result for Nintendo and the 3DS. If the New was a middling or even poor success then it really doesn't hit much in terms of the 3DS life cycle. Its a single platform not a family of platforms.

If you can not understand that then that's on yourself.

Looking at your history it explains your posts...

Bitanator

It is still a 3DS, they included all members of the line, nothing bullshit about it. It is pathetic however when Sony had to group their handheld line together as one entity to hide the fact that it sells like dog turds

Kill3r7

If Bloodborne sold 500K+ copies in March that would make it a bigger hit than any of the previous Souls games. It would be a bonafide hit and in the same territory as Infamous SS which was a much more mainstream game.

That said, I think it has an outside shot of doing it. A more realistic estimate is probably around 350K or so.

Mooreberg

Bloodborne cannot possibly sell more out of the gate than DS2 did on two systems that had been on the market forever. I seriously doubt Sony has crazy expectations for it. It is a game that keeps the enthusiast base happy while mainstream fare like BF Hardline keeps the monthly hardware sales chugging along.

It could end up being more of perennial seller as people pick up the hardware. DS2 seems like it went off a cliff at some point, probably because people knew XBONE/PS4 versions were inevitable. Which now have a very awkwardly timed release date. Smooth move, Namco!

-----

Also, @Danlord, I fail at technology and didn't realise upside down text was a thing, but thanks.

I figure some hard core Soul fans would be buying this on DD also.
I bought souls games on disc but this time i going DD since i will be playing this for a long while.

If Bloodborne sold 500K+ copies in March that would make it a bigger hit than any of the previous Souls games. It would be a legitimate hit and in the same territory as Infamous SS which was a much more mainstream game.

That said, I think it has an outside shot of doing it. A more realistic estimate is probably around 350K or so.

500k would be nothing short of a mind blowing performance from Blood Souls.

Bloodborne cannot possibly sell more out of the gate than DS2 did on two systems that had been on the market forever. I seriously doubt Sony has crazy expectations for it. It is a game that keeps the enthusiast base happy while mainstream fare like BF Hardline keeps the monthly hardware sales chugging along.

It could end up being more of perennial seller as people pick up the hardware. DS2 seems like it went off a cliff at some point, probably because people knew XBONE/PS4 versions were inevitable. Which now have a very awkwardly timed release date. Smooth move, Namco!

BB has been hyped up to extravagant levels, and it's aesthetic is great enough to attract people who aren't familiar with its pedigree. I'd be surprised if it didn't sell as well or better.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Bloodborne is going to do gangbusters. 500k in its first month is conservative.

You've fallen into the NeoGAF matrix. What is real and what is NeoGAF hype?

Hope it does well!

Bloodborne launches on the 24th. it has what, a week? I don't see it doing much better in march than the Order did in February. it's going to have a much longer tail thanks to word of mouth though.

We're preemptively starting this!

Dubz

Well, Evolve tanked as hard as expected. Failing to beat 500k across 3 platforms proving once again that critics are sadly out of touch with the audience's taste and are stuck in a 2006 mindset where FPS is king.

Like Titanfall, another title that was hyped hard for months leading up to release, Evolve's poor showing shows that the market in 2015 is a significantly different place this gen.
FPS is still king in console. COD and BF still sell like hot cakes, and Destiny is a huge new IP success.

Bgamer90

Banned

Looking forward to you complaining about PS4 slim sales counting with original PS4 sales.

Opiate

For comparison, February 2008:

Wii 432k
PS3 280k
360 254k

Down significantly gen over gen for this particular month, but not bad and still doing quite well overall.

I figure some hard core Soul fans would be buying this on DD also.
I bought souls games on disc but this time i going DD since i will be playing this for a long while.

I bought it digitally also, and I'm sure many others here have done the same. I wish we could get digital numbers, it'd be interesting.

erawsd

I think it's fair to say every userbase is hungry for a big quality exclusive game except maybe for Wii U fans. Big quality exclusive games are pretty much all the Wii U has.

By and large, I don't think the general audience cares that much about whether the game they are buying is exclusive or not. And Nintendo fans want Nintendo games. I would be surprised if Bloodborne beats the PS4 sales of BF:Hardline.

How much people buy games digital vs retail? I mean NPD doesn't count digital games and people buy digital now more than ever. At some point in the future NPD will not be reliable..

Top Bottom