• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2015 [Up1: Nintendo numbers, PS4 placing]

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Could see a spike in sales since the latest patch fixed the biggest problem with the gameplay.

The art-style is pretty damning. Not my cup of tea personally, and many it seems, but apparently the gameplay is good with the new patch update. You played it?

I'm very confident that PS4 is going to be $299 this fall, but I am wondering about how Microsoft is going to counter that. Are they going to do a temporary price cut to $249.99 or would it be $299, but with insane value?

I think Sony will not let Microsoft get a repeat of holiday 2014. Expect a PS4 pricecut at Gamescom.

I think it all depends on holiday pricing.

I'm feeling $299 for both machines, and I'd expect Sony to win any months with even pricing.

I think the gap will be over 1.5m before October.

After that if Sony did a price cut I guess the holidays will be even... if not MS will drop the gap to close 1m.

Impossible to tell without considering the effect of possible price drops especially on Sony's part.
It's realistic to think that without an other Xbox price drop Ps4 will continue to gain ground until Halo 5.
But what if MS drops price to 299$ at E3?
I also think that PS4 will get a price cut in time for the MGS5 launch on 1st Sept and if they cut to 299$ MS will likely lose ground during the holiday season as well, Halo or not.

Assuming MS does nothing between now and October I expect the gap to grow to around 1.3 million.

Still too hard to say. E3 will make a clearer picture of the second half of the year.

Depends on price drops, reception of exclusives as well as when they are released, marketing and/or timed exclusive deals, etc.

I could see the gap in January 2016 being as high as 2 Million or as low as 500K right now.

So, general Gaf says: Too early, Price drop, Gap of 1M+...sounds about right.

RexNovis

Banned
Why do I feel like he's memorized your post history at this point? Better watch out!

Seriously. This the second time over the past 3 days hes dug through my post history to try and trash me. The first time the context of the post made it irrelevant to the "burn" he made it out to be. This time I guess I'm supposed to be ashamed that I followed evidence online and from friends that led me to the wrong conclusion. I thought it would bomb. I was wrong. I'm not ashamed to admit that. Whatever it seems to make him feel special.

Elios83

MS will go $299 for the holidays, they won't do it at E3. Sony will go $349 for the holidays and have much better value/priced bundles than they offered last year (which obviously sold really well)

Yes it's a possibility but there are others as well. Until they make final announcements it's not possible to predict what's gonna happen long term until the end of this year. Price cuts (how much and when) will have an important role.

GamerJM

Banned
IMO STEAM's art style isn't as big of an issue when you're actually playing the game, I found that it looked whatever when I was actually playing it (as opposed to it looking atrocious in preview videos and screenshots). Though you guys can just play the demo and decide for yourselves in that regard.

Xenus

I'm very confident that PS4 is going to be $299 this fall, but I am wondering about how Microsoft is going to counter that. Are they going to do a temporary price cut to $249.99 or would it be $299, but with insane value?

If there is a really spiffy Battlefront bundle and 299 PS4 I might buy a 2nd one and give my older brother my old one.

kyser73

So what's the LTD PS4Xbone gap now? I thought it was at around 680K as of end Feb, so that 100K this month would put it on 780K, but lots saying around 720K now?

Wow, that BF difference between them is pretty small - talking like 30K copies, right?

damisa

Apparently 82.5k is a better baseline for the pie folks.

Seems like it. Posting again for other people:
So using 82.5K for Wii U:
PS4 330K
XB1 229K
WiiU 82.5K

last gen:
Wii 721K
360 262K
PS3 257K

Wii was crazy, sold more than PS4 + XB1 + Wii U combined

It would had been bigger if they would had counter MS with a temporary price drop too.

This is a like a 4 month old discussion... Of course we don't know each platform holders finances, but Sony maintained the PS4s value by not dropping the price... They made more money by not dropping the price, and US sales do not equal WW sales... Just because the gap is less than 1 million in the US, it continues to widen worldwide...

MS basically drew a line in the sand, they went all in for those Holiday months in the US, while Sony continued to play their worldwide sales game...

I honestly think that NPD numbers and discussions, mixed with some clever PR statements, cloud many people's perception of sales numbers in the US vs Worldwide....

Javin98

Banned
So what did I miss? The PS4 sold ~340K and the XB1 sold ~235K in March, right? And Bloodborne sold under 390K but still more than 375K? Chobel's gotta eat a hat and Welfare's gotta eat crows :p

NateDrake

And I only expect it to get worse LTD vs launch. It kind of makes the XBO version look not worth the effort

Yeah, it's not good. If we use 200k as a baseline, 42k for FF on X1 is awful. May as well have done a Wii U and Vita version to get another 10-15k in sales.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
I feel like the performance of Nintendo's titles really shows that Nintendo can only seem to market either the 3DS or the Wii U, but not both.

February marketing = New 3DS + MM3D + Monster Hunter, little to none for Kirby
The marketed items do fantastically. Kirby, not so much (although the legs are a pleasant surprise this month for Kirby).

March marketing - Mario Party 10, little to none for Codename Steam & Fossil Fighters, MP10 does well, other 2 don't (weirdly Fossil Fighters does better than Steam?)

Sandfox

Type-0 sold less than I was expecting.

FFF ~ 35
Strike Team Eliminating the Alien Menace ~ 31

LTD:
Mushroom ~ 326
ZU ~ 204
B2 ~ 157

101 ~ 104
TEARAWAY ~ 75

A lot of these games had better legs than I was expecting and I was honestly expecting STEAM to open lower than that.

Top Bottom