• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For March 2017 [Up2: Year to date charts, platform specific charts]

chrono01

Seeing Nier Automata make the Top 10, has me all:

demi-chan4.gif

- For 2018 AC is a definite imo. 2D mario seems likely, but with Mario Maker I wonder.
- FE is probably considered a big seller now
- Retro's game
- New Mario and Luigi could be ready by fall. If not, 2019.
- MK8D DLC (imo)
- Maybe a same engine smaller budget game like Captain Toad was?
- I thought a new Kirby would be ready but that "2017 3DS Action Kirby game" has me on hold...

after that, I'm not sure about the lineup. It'll be nice to be surprised, since leaks have taken somewhat from this year.

Mario & Luigi's big problem is the jump to HD as AlphaDream isn't all that suited for it.
I feel like they'd dedicate more resources to ARMS DLC
The Kirby series has at least two teams (Rainbow Curse and Planet Robobot were mostly developed separately). Depending on who's developing that 3D multiplayer game, a 2018 Kirby release is possible
I'm pretty certain 2018 will also get a Mario Party as MP10 did fine and Star Rush seems like a victim to the 3DS being done.
Next Level Games also seems like they should be ready with their next game by late 2018 too
Pokemon Spinoffs seem likely as well as a major collaboration (like Pokken or Hyrule Warriors)
Sinnoh Remakes seem like a possiblity too considering they are starting a bit of promotion with that new movie

Floody

Lol 4 Out of those 6 are Multiplattform.

I think his point is they'll be bundle games. Destiny 1 has probably sold more PS4s than any exclusive has, not unreasonable to think the by far 4 biggest games of the year will move PS4s.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
What is this in reference to?
i couldn't remember the last name of this npd guy but saw his post about living in u.k so thought making a Harry potter reference would be funny. I was wrong.

In 2017, PS4 is only down about 20k units YoY. One slightly bigger release than last year could easily put them up.

Horizon probably sold well over 800k in the U.S. (not North America) in March.
where are you getting this 800k number from? Horizon sold twice as well as killzone 2 which sold 323k copies in its first month. That gives us 650k.
You know that he and MatP are officially sanctioned by NPD to post this stuff and engage in discussion, right?

Your posts on this thread have been pretty bizarre.
I didn't know that. When did this happen?

What's so bizarre about my posts lol. Why is it that people get so butthurt over sales expectations? I expected horizon to sell well over a million seeing as how Sony marketed the shit out of it. Also because it's a phenomenal game that deserves to sell better than freaking ghost recon. The fact that the ps4 sku beat out horizon is a travesty.

i couldn't remember the last name of this npd guy but saw his post about living in u.k so thought making a Harry potter reference would be funny. I was wrong.

where are you getting this 800k number from? Horizon sold twice as well as killzone 2 which sold 323k copies in its first month. That gives us 650k.

What's so bizarre about my posts lol. Why is it that people get so butthurt over sales expectations? I expected horizon to sell well over a million seeing as how Sony marketed the shit out of it. Also because it's a phenomenal game that deserves to sell better than freaking ghost recon. The fact that the ps4 sku beat out horizon is a travesty.

Estimating digital sales, which are not included in the NPD number.

Which data is that? PS4 had one of its biggest quarters ever software wise. And yet is still down YoY. What other data suggest this is not something to take notice on?
Well, you might see that PS4 has sold more units in 2017 than it did during the same period of 2014 and 2015. Or you could note that this February was the 9th highest any console has posted in 15 years. Or other contextualizing info about the typical sales trajectories in fourth years.

PS4 is not the most successful console of all time, but focusing on a single fact and proclaiming it a disappointment is naive.

No, Horizon sold more than twice as much as Killzone 2. How much more we don't know, but we do know that's solely physical copies. With a normal digital share, Horizon will be way over 800k for the month. Over 900k isn't a terrible reach, and even over a million is technically possible (though doubtful).

As assumption of at least 150k digital sales is not unreasonable.

kyser73

They both posted it was happening in the March prediction thread.

Your incredulity at the sales thing and random comments about Sony's board not being happy with HZD's 2.6m sales. It's a new IP, and Sony always look at WW as a yardstick for performance.

black070

i bet Sony doesnt like people questioning their worldwide sales figures of 2.6 million when it sold only 600k in NA. i dont think Sony would lie about this but man it doesnt look good.

I don't understand what you mean by this, who is questioning whether the game really sold the reported 2.6 million WW ?

I don't understand what you mean by this, who is questioning whether the game really sold the reported 2.6 million WW ?

Go back a few pages. Hell I would say the person you quoted is subtly questioning it. I thought it was understood by now that U.S. is only a minority share of the sales for PlayStation hardware and software yet here we are again with an overemphasis on NPD and what it means overall.

black070

Go back a few pages. Hell I would say the person you quoted is subtly questioning it. I thought it was understood by now that U.S. is only a minority share of the sales for PlayStation hardware and software yet here we are again with an overemphasis on NPD and what it means overall.
Some person(s) a few pages back.

Went back a few pages and just wow.. this is why I stay away from NPD threads.

Joni

I mean it's a great surprise but that came out of nowhere. And i bet Sony doesnt like people questioning their worldwide sales figures of 2.6 million when it sold only 600k in NA. i dont think Sony would lie about this but man it doesnt look good.

Guerrilla is more popular in Europe, PlayStation 4 is more popular in Europe. Sony also didn't announced physical-only sales, they announced physical + digital. So of 2.6 million, we know 0.6 is physical in the US.

Zedark

Lol you guys are so salty wtf...

I am not an expert but i believe those countries together represent at least 2/3 of the entire market.

Now looking again at Sonys PR, they said 2.6m sold not 3m.. that's my bad, i really think those numbers might be possible with a very high digital sales ratio. Anyways, the game was front-loaded af so we won't be discussing it for much more time
Honestly, you know it's a crime to lie to investors, right? They are legally obligated to give truthful numbers. You're being ridiculous here.

Edit: I see HZD with digital is even over 1 million, incredible result for the game!

Yjynx

Well there it is. All the poor mouthing for HZD can stop.

It is absolutely ridiculous that we have at least 3 games over 1 million for the month of March NPD. I'm assuming Mass Effect Andromeda is a 4th even though it hasn't been confirmed.

Nope its still a failure. Needs to outsell ME and Zelda combined now. Not to mention that apparently Sony lied about HZD number.

Putty

So pleased for GG. Horizon is my GOTG so far and only the 2nd game i've platinum'd. If the next one doesn't sell at least 10m (not including physical) in the first 16 hours of release Sony should pack up...

I'll grab Nier at some point in the year but nice to see PG rewarded with a healthy start...

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Oh it's over 1mm

What an incredible month

Holy shit at those digital sales for Horizon, more than 30% of the overall total. The PS4/ One digital sales trend continues.

John, mere curiosity: Zelda has a 3% digital sales share; I wanted to know if the other Switch launch games are in a similar ballpark or a bit higher.

Also (if there's any possible way you can tell us) is Just Dance 2017 on Switch higher or lower than 50k at retail? :p

notaskwid

People forget that Sony sells a lot all over the world and is not "dependent" on US sales to do big numbers.
Edit: it seem that Horizon even sold 1M in the US.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Holy shit at those digital sales for Horizon, more than 30% of the overall total. The PS4/ One digital sales trend continues.

John, mere curiosity: Zelda has a 3% digital sales share; I wanted to know if the other Switch launch games are in a similar ballpark or a bit higher.

Also (if there's any possible way you can tell us) is Just Dance 2017 on Switch higher or lower than 50k at retail? :p

Lower, but not far off

Yjynx

That means over 40% plus on DD .
Just goes to show how fast consoles DD is growing.

It could be more than 640K on retail we have no idea exactly. 700k? 800k?

I found HZD "Journey" have been interesting since the introduction.

- People sceptical of GG
- Predicted as the next massive flop (3+ thread)
- Predicted as the next critical flop
- Predicted as the next commercial flop

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Nice, hopefully this put some pressure of Sony and Nintendo so they also share digital sales.

Any losers this month? :p

I feel like there's no way I can answer that question without like, enflaming people haha. Mass effect looks to be down about 30% from me3?

Overall a good month tho, just my opinion but seeing growth is always good.

Nintendo put up some really strung stuff

I feel like there's no way I can answer that question without like, enflaming people haha. Mass effect looks to be down about 30% from me3?

Overall a good month tho, just my opinion but seeing growth is always good.

Nintendo had a monster month

Is MLB The Show up or down from last year? It placed high in a very competitive month.

black070

Physically or combined with digital ? If the former, that would put it's sales at around the 910K mark not including digital. That's a pretty good result.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Switch could have a massive Holiday if they introduce that MK8 Deluxe console bundle, Pokémon Stars is real and Mario Odyssey.

Everything else would be a nice extra but those three bulletpoints could make it difficult to find a Switch during the Holidays.

Add in solid versions on multiplattform games like Skyrim and NBA2K.... E3 will be really interesting this between the big 3.

Physically or combined with digital ? If the former, that would put it's sales at around the 910K mark not including digital. That's a pretty good result.

Could be more don't think this chart has Origin sales in it .
Wonder how much sales we missing for pub that have there own DD platform .

bigjig

Have to laugh at that guy earlier in the thread going on about how Sony's exclusives can't do over a million in the NPD. That's gotta be the fastest serving of crow ever haha

Wollan

If we assume the usual 30%+ digital share (though I believe the % is even higher these days) then Horizon did at least 925k copies in March for USA.
edit: Ah, it's actually verified 1m+.

Anyhow, we know the worldwide sell-in numbers directly to customers reached 2.6million from Sony PR, in two weeks time.

Top Bottom